[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone like the different combinations you can end up with in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: dungeons.jpg (492KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
dungeons.jpg
492KB, 1280x1024px
Anyone like the different combinations you can end up with in Binding of Isaac, but otherwise really don't like the game or themes? I've been looking for a game with a similar style, but more Fantasy based, where each run can result in a completely different type of Fantasy character.

So in my quest for a Fantasy game in that style, I've given Hammerwatch and Legend of Dungeon but neither quite get that, "character can be completely different from any other run" sort of thing. So I have Rogue Legacy a try, and it still didn't scratch the itch.

Am I on a futile quest?

Is there a Fantasy game with similar mechanics to Binding of Isaac's upgrade system? Especially with co-op. I'd love to delve into a randomly generated dungeon with four other players growing into all sorts of weird Fantasy characters that could be completely different from one run to the next.

Next on my list to try is Dungeons of Dredmor. It looks promising. I'd still like any advice on what other games might get close to what I'm looking for.
>>
File: sdMuvav.gif (145KB, 640x363px) Image search: [Google]
sdMuvav.gif
145KB, 640x363px
Bumping with whatever because also interested. Mercenary Kings is about making dumb weapon combinations in a 2-D sidescroller and has coop. It's not the best game but I like what it tries to do.

Not fantasy and not what you listed but just bumping for interest.
>>
File: fantasia.jpg (313KB, 1500x444px) Image search: [Google]
fantasia.jpg
313KB, 1500x444px
>>377668162
Appreciated, I've tried several non-Fantasy ones. I eventually settled on FTL for my Sci-Fi fix, which is why I'm not really looking for sci-fi off-hand. I did try Enter the Gungeon and found it kind of wanting, finding the different guns is neat, but I didn't get that, "Every play through is different" feeling out of it. I burned out on it fast.

I'll write down Mercenary Kings for later, moods change afterall.
>>
>>377668809
It's really sad because I feel I know what I want but don't know if it exists. Enter a dungeon with three friends each with a basic fantasy heal/tank/damage base character. Kill monsters to build into a skill tree while collecting wacky items that change how you interact with these skills and teammates.

Shit like starting as a cleric and picking up a cursed staff that flips healing and damage. Rogue upgrades carry enough to dual wield greatshields and creates shieldwalls. Mage buffing their own gun for unique bullet effects.
>>
>>377669480
I'm not even sure I'd want classes, though that sounds fun too. I'd be just as happy with a bunch of blank slates going in and becoming what they are based off all the crazy items.
>>
>>377666852
problem with Dredmor is there is a very obvious "best" playstyle, regardless of the skills you've set up, and you can either accept this and play accordingly, or try and fight against it and not.

being a Mage/Rogue is absolute suffering, where Fighter/Rogue is a breeze, and Fighter/Mage is just awkward.

the sadly best way to play is to stack passive increases and walk up to enemies and swack them, as a Fighter main-spec.

Magic hardly scales so good luck with that shit.
>>
>>377666852
More Sci-Fantasy, but Enter the Gungeon
>>
>>377669480
Path of Exile?
>>
>>377669726
Sounds like a balance issue, that's on the devs for not making other play styles better. Sad.
>>
>>377669865
well I guess, but thats how it is most roguelike's, which Dredmor is very much a roguelike with a spruced up interface and mapping.

magic almost never scales, in Dredmor it DOES scale, it just scales poorly, also the best Magic has incredibly downsides, whereas Melee has nothing against other than being in attack range of monsters, which will happen anyways due to the many Zoo's in the game.

the ironic thing is Magic isn't even the best way to clear Zoo's with AOE's, Rogue's high-end bolts are far better.
>>
>>377669696
Only reason I think base classes would be nice is to help work around RNG screwovers. Mostly thinking of it as a mechanic to turn defeated enemies into exp currency to help build around the items you've been given at random.
>>
>>377670182
I hadn't really thought of it like that, but, yeah, I can see that.
>>377669726
Doesn't sound like I'll get much out of it then, the variety of ways to approach a play through is part of the basic fun of games like this, for me anyways.
>>
>>377670536
well Dredmor has an upside, there are plenty of "user" made mode classes, and a vareity of them are quite balanced and fix this issue.

the base game's magic is a bit lacking, but with a slight bit of tweaking its far more rewarding.

I guess the biggest downside, no matter what, is that you have to drink so much god damn booze as a casting class, since its the mana of the game, and booze has a variety of side effects.
>>
>>377670749
>booze as mana
What an odd decision. I retract my statement, best to go in with level expectations.
>>
>>377670924
the game is very comical, all the food healing items in the game are a massive variety of cheeses.

there's a running fish joke, that a certain nordic fish dish is awful, and you get a "Horadric Cube" style item that has one function, to turn anything into Lutefisk, which enough of it gathered can used to get shit from Fish Shrines.

generally every enemy in the game is a gag on RPG enemies or just a gag in general, also the various floor layouts are themselves nods to other games, such as Floor 3 being Doom looking.

you get your own personal little Tardis and it plays a remix of the Chronotrigger's Corridors of time theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lceNSTmJAcs
>>
>>377672410

cont'd

oh absoluely never, ever put a Lutefisk Cube inside of Lutefisk cube.
>>
>>377672410
I can appreciate some humor in my fantasy games, I played the Quest for Glory series and loved reading the Myth books Mythconceptions is great. I suppose it depends on your tolerance for puns, in QfG and Myth's case. though.
>>377672604
So noted.
>>
>>377672604
>>377672410

I guess the other big No-No is never step into "world portals", as they will teleport you to a mini-level of unknown difficulty, on hardcore mode, this a sure ticket way to lose that playthrough.

same with punching random addresses into the Tardis little portal station, oh it'll make a portal for you all right, a portal to your fucking death.

this is such a huge threat to a run that I almost suggest never, ever going into portal levels/hitting portal addresses ever.
>>
not as accessible as most rogue-lites but dungeon crawl stone soup is probably the best fantasy rogue like out there
>>
File: header (3).jpg (44KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header (3).jpg
44KB, 460x215px
>Gaslamp is dead for half of year now
that what happens when you try and bite more than you can chew with this dream of "good dwarf fortress wannabe"
shame, should've just kept making rougelikes.
>>
Vagante isn't EXACTLY what you're looking for but it's a metroidvania roguelite in a fantasy setting.

I really like it a lot.
>>
>>377672663
its less puns and more subversion jokes, the one thing that seems to be truly unique to the game is the little diggler enemies which are the mainstays of the game.

the game has a mild difficulty curve if you clear each floor before moving on, but if you don't heavily invest in some form of crafting you'll never make it past floor 9ish, also the crafting is insanely indepth with multiple things to craft multiple other things and on and on, the only annoying thing is the really good shit is randomly learned from bookshelves that are single use.

this does mean smithing or engineering is practiclaly required.
>>
>>377673009
>>377673062
Added them to my list. Thanks anons.
>>
>>377666852
Corruption of Champions?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.