[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>playing games for story oh and you read books for gameplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: 1494072361255.jpg (36KB, 434x440px) Image search: [Google]
1494072361255.jpg
36KB, 434x440px
>playing games for story
oh and you read books for gameplay too right?
>>
>watching movies for the story
Oh and do you read books for the acting too?
>>
>>377639441
>read for the plot

kys
>>
File: pstart.jpg (89KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
pstart.jpg
89KB, 800x450px
>>377639441
it's just another medium to use
if movies and plays tell stories too, why must games not be allowed to use the inherent designs of vidya to tell a story in their own unique way?
>>
>>377639603
only normalfags watch movies for the story
>>
>>377639441
>video game have both story AND gameplay
>Books do not
>>
>>377639736
Video games are interactive, which is the whole point.
>>377639441
Why is aphex twin a hohol
>>
>implying I don't read books for that sweet page flipping sound
>>
File: Carnival_of_Horrors.jpg (68KB, 391x567px) Image search: [Google]
Carnival_of_Horrors.jpg
68KB, 391x567px
>oh and you read books for gameplay too right?
Yes I do. Faggot
>>
>>377639441
There are some books where the story isn't the best part. There are some games where the story is the best part.

Shocker: People like things for different reasons and it's not a black-and-white thing. There are some books with fantastic prose, or great worldbuilding, or great characters. There are games with great stories, great music, great characters, etc. There are many different reasons to like certain things and some excel at certain fields better than others.
>>
>>377639441
Why isn't logic mandatory in school?
>>
>>377639441
>still playing tetris only, because games are not the right medium for story
>>
>2017
>not reading books for the soundtrack
>>
>>377639874
And a story can be a lot more immersive through its interactivity. If done right the player may feel a sense of responsibility for the actions of the character.
>>
>>377640363
You and I know this, but retards don't.

Frankly, the people who complain about story in games are people who just are too lazy or too stupid to read dialogue. They think every game has to be mario, zelda, etc.
>>
>>377639736
Video games are inferior in story telling in every way compared to other medias. Stories in video games are practically just a way of giving some meaning to the gameplay. Gameplay is the only reason why somebody would pick a game over a book or a movie.
>>
>>377640554
>Video games are inferior in story telling in every way compared to other medias
How?
>>
>>377640554
That's totally wrong, though, and it doesn't even take much thinking to understand why.

Video games include story, gameplay, AND music.

Books do not.

Literally the only people who say video games can't tell a story are retards who only play Nintendo and try to hide the fact that they're retards by saying "B-B-BUT MUH INFERIOR STORY TELLING!!1111"

You can't even explain WHY you think it's inferior.
>>
I read books for the font.
>>
>>377640746
you are an absolute brainlet
>>
>>377640930
Insulting me is not an argument.
>>
>>377640686
>>377640746
You wanna know why video games are inferior in story telling? That's because gameplay is (rightfully) always a priority over story. Would Metro games be fun if you only got to kill one person in them (like it is in the books)? No they would not. The story suffers by Artyom killing hunderds, but a good gameplay requires that. That's why games are inferior in story telling. They have other priorities and there is nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>377640976
you called people who said games can't tell stories are retards and tried to shove us into the nintendobaby crowd.
>>
>>377641039
That's not a very convincing response, kiddo. I bet you thought it would be a great post to make, though.
>>
>>377641136
If my post is unconvincing, then your post tops mine in that regard.
>>
>>377641094
Of course I did. Reasonable human beings who are not nintendo fanboys would be able to accept that video games are best when they have story as well as the other elements such as gameplay and music. There is no reasonable explanation for somebody being so adamantly opposed to story in video games unless they only like games with little or no story, such as mario, zelda, etc. Nintendo babbies like I said.

What you're posting is not the response a reasonable person would give.
>>
File: 798.png (306KB, 593x540px) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306KB, 593x540px
>>377641276
So your response is "I know you are, but what am I?" then?
>>
>>377641459
And your response is absolutely nothing, but petty insults. I see you have nothing to offer regarding this topic.
>>
>>377641328
>insults don't work
>of course I insulted you
good job. to add context my favourite games are stalker and arma and have never owned a nintendo console
>>
>>377641615

He offered more, he gave a reason you gave an example.
>>
>>377641615
I already explained why video games with stories are great. They aren't just restricted to words on a piece of paper. They have gameplay, graphics, soundtracks, even voice acting. They are on a whole different level in terms of potential. You can argue that you're not a fan of the writing in individual games, but to suggest that video games CAN'T tell a story is just nonsense. They absolutely can, and they can do it better than any other medium available, including motion pictures.

There is not a single book with video game-quality graphics, music, or gameplay. There is not a single movie with the same level of interactivity as literally any story-based video game.
>>
>>377641459
First you call some faggot 'kiddo' then you use a smug anime girl? You are the definition of absolutely retarded.
>>
>>377642202
You should probably stick to the issue at hand instead of whining about pictures if you want to be taken seriously.
>>
>>377641039
So a story can't be good if something unrealistic happens? I'll have to go tell every story ever that they can't be taken seriously ever again.
>>
>>377641983
no this is absolutely stupid. I give credit to the music for being good. I give credit for the good graphics . But the stories of games are not up to standard. Film makers have been perfecting their craft for years. You clearly only watch capeshit and other mainstrea to make such a retarded statement. Games are still very young and the storytelling is clunky at best.

and theres nothing wrong with games being games. I loved the atmosphere+gameplay of darksouls 3 for example
>>
>>377643439
>It's stupid because I said so
>Video game stories are bad because I said so
>b-b-but muh film snobbery
lol no. Try again, wannabe hipster.
>>
>>377641328
I enjoy Nintendo games (as well as any good game regardless of the platform) and I also love a good, immersive story in a game. I'm not even saying Nintendo has any games with great stories (they might) I'm just saying people can like different things at once and that doesn't imply any contradiction.
>>
>>377643439
I might not agree with it, but I can accept that video games haven't had a good story. But the idea that a video game can never tell a good story, lime it's not possible, is absolutely lazy and braindead on your part.
>>
>>377640554
Just because video games have yet to have good stories (though I disagree with you there) doesn't mean they do not have the potential to be. You can criticize as many games as you want for having shitty stories but that does not necessarily mean the medium as a whole is incapable of containing a good story. In fact, it's your attitude that drives competent writers away from the vidya scene and keeps vidya on the low end of the storytelling totem pole
>>
>>377643741
sounds like I hit a little too close to home
>muh film snobbery
you truly have to be a retarded dorito eating faggot to think watching films is "snobbish"
>>377644592
potential yes. my post implies that. but the direction games are going I don't like, they are just emulating books/games at this point but poorly.
>>
>>377645148
>to think watching films is "snobbish"
You need to work on your reading comprehension if that's what you took from my post.

Watching films in and of itself is not snobbery. Turning your nose up at video game stories, as well as other films, because they aren't "my favorite films which are SOOO much more amazing than that mainstream garbage" is the definition of film snobbery
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.