[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was it better than Persona 5? >plot wasn't edgy teenage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 10

File: Shin_Megami_Tensei_Persona_4.jpg (111KB, 250x336px) Image search: [Google]
Shin_Megami_Tensei_Persona_4.jpg
111KB, 250x336px
Why was it better than Persona 5?
>plot wasn't edgy teenage fanfiction tier
>characters were much more likeable
>wasn't babby tier in difficulty
>better setting and atmosphere
>>
>>377626102
p5 was the worst in the series
>>
>>377626102
>Persona 4

I liked P4, but come on.
>>
>Character were much more likable

Teddie and Yosuke
>>
Could have fooled me with how tonally inconsistent it was.
If by that you mean they were obnoxious, sure.
Literally laughed out loud.
Strongly disagree.
>>
>>377627306
teddie was great. morgana is much worse
>>
>>377627602
>Could have fooled me with how tonally inconsistent it was.
Duude pancakes and beach trips xD
>If by that you mean they were obnoxious, sure.
Compared to Ryuji?
>Literally laughed out loud.
P5 is babby tier difficulty, P4 was moderate difficulty
>Strongly disagree.
It's a fact. Inaba was inviting. P5's setting is unsubtle, edgy "LE EVIL JAPAN LOOK HOW EVIL THESE ADULTS ARE" with a deviantart Shadow the Hedgehog color scheme
>>
>>377626102
It wasn't.
>>
>Wasn't baby-tier in difficulty
Literally everything after Shadow Kanji is a cakewalk
And Golden even made the early parts easy
>>
>>377627942
>Duude pancakes and beach trips xD
You don't even understand. It's not the fun little SoL moments I take chagrin with, it's the fact that Investigation Team never takes what they're doing seriously until Nanako gets thrown into the TV. It's ridiculous how lackadaisical and carefree they act when the plot revolves around them trying to solve and prevent a string of murders. The cast hardly has any agency, and simply waits for things to happen rather than attempting to effect change themselves. The Persona 5 cast treats events with far more gravity, even in the first half of the story when the stakes are far, far lower.
>>
>>377628763
Shadow Kanji was a push-over too, the fight just took some time.
Izanami was the only hard part.
>>
>>377626102
lol ok. "I have to face my dark side" is not edgy. Good one.
if by more likeable you mean one-note then yeah
AHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHA
it doesn't even have a consistent atmosphere.

The official rankings of the Persona games is this:
P2>P3>>P5>>>>>P1>P4
>>
>>377627942
You're autistic anon. I'm guessing you played P4 at a young age so you thought it was harder. P4 is legitimately one of the easiest jrpgs I've ever played, on par with P5
>>
>>377629458
triggered?
>>
>>377629603
What about my post made it sound like I was triggered?

Not that I expect an autist to be able to pick up on social cues
>>
>>377626102
>Sequel comes out
>/v/ argues that the original is better
>Sequel 2 comes out
>/v/ argues that Sequel is better

Every. Time.
>>
>>377629841
You seem triggered
>>
Did someone screencap that post saying /v/ will now start hating P5?
>>
>>377627942
>moderate difficulty
in a series that revolves around finding weaknesses you have
>1 phys type
>4 elemental types
>2 insta kill types
I don't understand. This game could not have been easier.
>>
>>377626102

iirc both games have difficulty settings. If it's too easy for you then turn up the difficulty you pansy.
>>
>>377628776
that might be because there is literally nothing IT could've done to speed things up while PTs are the ones who pick their targets and decide what to do next
>>
>>377629928
You seem like you have no arguments.
>>
>>377628883
Shadow yukiko and mitsuo are the only hard parts of the game. everything else is terribly easy.
>>
>>377630324
>shadow yukiko
Not even, have chie block and it turns into a trivial boss fight
>>
I just went back to p4g and holy shit it's way better than p5
>>
>>377630378
>blocking everyturn so you can survive a random fire spell all the while with shitty heals

>I leveled 10 levels above the boss its easy dude whats wrong with you xDDD
>>
>>377630212
They hardly even try. For calling themselves "the Investigation Team" they don't do much investigating. They find that room the very first time they go into the TV world, and don't go back to it until after they've finally deduced the killer's identity. They never bother attempting to gather information or hunt down leads in reality in between victims. And even then, that there wasn't anything they could do is just as much a fault of the writing.
>>
>>377630324
I agree with Yukiko, but how is battle with Mitsuo hard?
>>
gtfo with that shit LOL
>>
File: 1469179437982.png (691KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1469179437982.png
691KB, 900x900px
Is there really anything worse than P4 babies? I get it's the first Persona game you've played, but even I don't defend P3 this adamantly. P4 is objectively the valley between P3 and P5.
>>
>>377630625
You block with chie so the boss doesn't get extra turns. I don't give a shit about chie surviving.
>>
>>377630637
its a damage check boss.

his damage are almighty you can't cheese him with null/repel unless he is naked without his shell and he takes two actions per turn. if you don't down him before he casts his second shell then you're fucked because his single attack becomes aoe almighty and you have to take down extra set of hp. also has fear+ghastly whail bullshit
>>
>>377630625
I didn't grind at all. Explain what it is about this boss fight that you found so challenging, because I honestly don't understand.

I did it in my first try. I explored the entirety of a floor of a dungeon before progressing and that was it, I never revisited a floor I didn't have to. I don't count that as grinding, do you?
>>
>>377630630
>They find that room the very first time they go into the TV world, and don't go back to it until after they've finally deduced the killer's identity.
they already searched that place back then and were attacked by strong shadows there, the portal only opened when they were confronting Adachi.
>They never bother attempting to gather information or hunt down leads in reality in between victims.
the only information they had was that the victims heard the doorbell ring and after that they woke up in TV World, what exactly were they supposed to investigate? No one paying any attention to delivery trucks was actually brought up in-game and Inabians having attention span of a goldfish was already shown and kinda the plotpoint
>>
>>377629260
>P1>P4
P1 characters are even more one-note than P4.
>>
>>377631398
they're both garbage is my point
>>
>>377631398
True.

I can't believe I fell for the P1 meme and completed both routes. There is a reason nobody cares about it
>>
>>377626102
>Wasn't babby tier in difficulty
The only hard thing in P4 was Shadow Kanji, everything else was horribly easy.
>>
File: 1491684087458.gif (1MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1491684087458.gif
1MB, 800x450px
>>377626102
so I just beat P5 and loved it, never played the previous games and I want more
I own the vita port of P3 already so should I go straight to that or just go backwards to P4 Golden
>>
>>377634492
Probably P3 since it'll be even harder to go back to if you go into P4G first
>>
>>377634492
Play Persona 3 first, I suggest the portable version since it let's you control the other party members. There's alot of things about Persona 3 that I prefer but P4 Golden is alot more polished and would make it alot harder to play P3.
>>
File: take your time.gif (704KB, 382x450px) Image search: [Google]
take your time.gif
704KB, 382x450px
>/v/ shits on Persona 4, says 3 is better
>Persona 5 comes out
>Suddenly Persona 4 is good

They're all good games but come on, 5 easily shits on 4.
>>
>>377635204
you got it wrong. people shit on p4g
>>
File: 1427022112442.jpg (27KB, 465x379px) Image search: [Google]
1427022112442.jpg
27KB, 465x379px
>>377626102
The only remotely difficult thing in the game was Shadow Yukiko, and even then that just required you to not be completely retarded. The only way to find P4 hard at all was to have it be your first JRPG ever.
>>
>>377626102
Persona 4 is better during day to day high school stuff. Persona 5 is better during dungeons. Both are pretty great.
>>
>Why was it better than Persona 5?

It wasn't. Fuck off and play Persona 4 again and tell me how it was narrative stronger than Persona 5. The only intelligent person was Naoto and she herself was just a plot parrot what just happened 5 minutes ago.
>>
>>377637308
The narrative was stronger. P5 characters repeatedly act like idiots and sabatoge themselves, even the supposedly smart ones like Makoto do this. I like the game but let's not pretend the story isn't pretty weak.
>>
3>5>>>>4

4 was literally teenage scooby doo plot tier, only dojima and the nurse were good characters.
>>
>>377637586
>P5 characters repeatedly act like idiots and sabotage themselves
>Implying the P4 cast isn't twice as bad

One of the first few scenes once you start going into the TV world is Yosuke swinging weapons around in public like a fucking autist and gets you both brought into a police station. The P4 cast also needs to be convinced by MC to not murder someone after going through Nanako's dungeon. The P5 cast can act like idiots at points but don't pretend the P4 cast is any better
>>
>>377637726
I agree with your rankings but come on dog, Adachi was good too
>>
>>377637860
Yosuke is an idiot, sure, but he's still not as bad as DID I MENTION WE'RE THE PHANTOM THIEVES Ryuji every time you're in public. The P4 cast wanting to murder was understandable considering what had just happened. About the only one in P5 that isn't a retard is Yusuke.
>>
>>377634492

P3FES on PS2 is the best version, though like >>377634939 said you can control the other party members in P3P. It comes at a cost with the non-dungeon stuff being 2D and the game generally being easier though. P3P is great if you're replaying Persona 3 but for a first playthrough FES is where its at.
>>
>>377637726
3 had the best plot and maybe music. Everything else was weakest of the nu-Persona games.
>>
>>377637865

at the very least he was better than Akechi
>>
>>377626102

I unironically agree with everything
>>
File: 1422246191355.png (4KB, 205x186px) Image search: [Google]
1422246191355.png
4KB, 205x186px
>>377638213
>The P4 cast wanting to murder was understandable considering what had just happened
The few party members during Kamoshida had plenty reason for wanting him dead as well, especially Ann, but they didn't go through with it. Even the team dumbass Ryuji thought things through carefully when it came to the possibility of potentially killing Kamoshida.
>About the only one in P5 that isn't a retard is Yusuke.
The P4 cast overall is a bunch of retards as well with the only one that isn't is Naoto.
>>
>>377639328
Kamoshida never killed anyone, nor did anyone believe otherwise. Also Nanako > Shiho.
>>
>>377639328
>The few party members during Kamoshida had plenty reason for wanting him dead as well,
you are forgetting that they knew they could get Kamoshida's ass punished. Namatame however was about to get away with everything he did, including the killing of basically the little sister of the entire team, and Shadow Namatame said that he would continue throwing people in after that
>>
>>377638251
my PS2 controllers broke a while ago and I got whatever version the vita one is (I assume P3P) on sale a while ago so I'll probably just play that
>>
>>377638327
>3 had the best plot and maybe
dude evangelion lmao
>>
File: 1465453952540.png (511KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465453952540.png
511KB, 1280x720px
>>377626102
I disagree, and I started with P4, basically my dive into smt went like this
>P4
>Nocturne
>DDS 1+2
>tried Raidou but couldn't get past the combat
>P3FES
>Strange Journey
>P4G
>P5
>>
>>377626102
5 > 4 > 3 desu
>>
>>377639727
>you are forgetting that they knew they could get Kamoshida's ass punished
I didn't forget that, but even if they knew that doesn't change how they chose to do things the smart way rather than completely give in to their emotions and kill him themselves unlike the P4 cast. While Namatame was about to get away with everything, and the cast not knowing how he was being coerced into throwing people into the TV world, they still jumped straight to doing what they've been trying to stop throughout the whole game
>>
>>377640146
>tried Raidou but couldn't get past the combat
You played only Raidou 1 don't you?
>>
>>377640613
Well yes, I would naturally go for the first game.
>>
>>377640654
Play Raidou 2 then come back
>>
>>377626102
>this thread again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzV1ufiE27w

4 is a joke
>>
>>377627306
Dumb memester.
>>
>>377626102
Babbys first persona
>>
>>377627942
P4 gives the "i'll take the hit for you" as the first confidant ability, it's easymode besides the shitty optional bosses who are just random and can just crit and one shot everyone 3 times in a row or just barely hit you.
>>
>>377626102
Haven't played it, but isn't the general consensus that it's worse than 3? Because 3 is fucking horrible and 5 is leagues above it .
>>
>>377627672
hahahahahaha
wait youre serious?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>377640696
The combat in Raidou 2 isn't great either, better but not great. Both games are still worth playing because everything other than the combat is great.
>>
Persona 4 is on the short list of games I actually fucking hate
I dislike the setting. The music is so fucking GRATING. The characters are mostly shit. Seriously, fuck Teddie. Fuck Yosuke.
The dungeons bored the piss out of me. Story wasn't that interesting.
etc etc.
>>
>>377626102
Oh yeah, instead it was soul fuckingly scoobie doo tier light, with thrilling charactsrs like yusuke" ravage my asshole while I mock a guy that doubted his sexuality for 3 months senpai" hanamura, chie "I like to eat beef, kick shit, be worst girl and have the worst most meaningless link in the whole game", Teddie "I dont even admit anything my shadow said but still get a persona, rawr bear puns", yukiko "atempt to hit on me and I will kill you unless you are the mc" healbitch, naoto the dumbass detective that isnt even that great combat or story wise, the combat was only so casual they couldnt handle 3 phys types and I think everybody loved the setting of "middle of fucking nowhere" with a unrelated guy doing all the murders, one guy that says the IT is shit and doesnt know dick being beaten up, oh boy, random fog god, oh shit, the fucking gas atendant was behind it all, also, its a god you defeat by shoving a maguffin at it to kill it in a shit attempt to create drama or meaning, which is also known as copying 3s ending and failing since the game is scooby doo.

Get real.
>>
>>377626102
the problem with P5 is that the plot completely loses focus after Futaba's dungeon.

Everything was deeply personal and directly related to the characters.

Shit, YOU are going to get expelled. Characters you know and actually interact with are affected significantly by the actions of this asshole teacher.

Fuck, Yusuke is being used and toyed with. Literally Stockholm syndrome. This dude was responsible for his mom dying too, jesus what a prick.

Oh motherfucker, Kaneshiro is going to drug and gang rape all of you if you don't give in to his demands. RIP Makoto's virginity.

Futaba is going to commit fucking suicide, she is unstable and depressed as fuck, and this relates to Sojiro's entire backstory as well (the dude who owns where you live)

But then shit just falls apart....

Hey look, generic evil corporation dude. He overworks people and underpays them I guess. How personal and affecting. Oh, I guess Haru has to marry some rich and handsome guy too I guess, how horrible.

The Police are finally going to catch you! (this was actually good, it made me think Okimura was just a bad portion of the game, but then...)

Oh hey, Japanese Trump! That's it! That is all there is. Corrupt politician! Even though we have the perfect set up to make this personal between the Protagonist and Shido, we decide to not follow through on it at all, Shido barely even recognizes you!

What a wasted fucking opportunity.

And then the game dawdles for a while before you fight the real final boss, who is basically the manifestation of human sins, but you kill him with a manifestation of human sin?? So the lesson is what exactly???

Somewhere in the story the themes of oppression stopped being personal and the lesson of the story got lost along the way, leaving the final act feeling like a jumbled mess.

Also, there were no big 'feels' moments. Nothing that hit you like Nanako going to the hospital. Game didn't even try to give a moment like that.
>>
>>377642583
Game really lacked more SoL stuff to see the gang bond after Futaba's dungeon. Shit got all serious all the time. No hot springs trip either ffs.
>>
>>377642583
Why would it be personal? Why would Shido care about Joker just because he had a run in with him one time? Also there may have been no big feels moment, but there were plenty of little ones, which I preferred.
>>
File: 1494000281714.png (798KB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494000281714.png
798KB, 1008x720px
>>377643102
Why would they put in a hot springs scene when the previous two games had hot springs scenes that were terrible?
>>
>>377643102
>Game really lacked more SoL stuff
>no hot springs
Shows what persona babies really care about
>>
>>377626102
I think 4 is the worst in the series.
>>
>>377640464
it's a totally different situation is what I'm saying. PTs knew there was a way to change Kamoshida, had the means to do that and if Morgana turned out to be right, he'd be punished for everything he had done. They chose to act smart because it was actually an option, either that or giving up and letting everything happen. IT however was basically put up against the wall and their only choices were getting rid of the killer or risk leaving him be which could result letting him get away with everything scot-free knowing that he won't stop killing people.
>>
>>377626102
Personally I didn't find myself enjoying P5 as much as P4 but I still think P5 is a good game.

I felt that Inaba was more fun to explore compared to Tokyo, as I felt some areas really lacking in the game in particular the school.

Character-wise both have problems but SL in P5 kinda had the same structure which made them a bit predictable. Liked hanging-out but there's little reason to do so with Chihaya and various events during the year.

Story and tone wise I would've liked P5 to balance more the goofiness with the seriousness. I felt that the game oscillated between these tones pretty drastically. Also story drags a lot in the investigations days compared to P4 and there are several days and a lot of dialog where nothing happens.

Villains after Madarame lacked impact, in particular Shido never felt threatening when he was supposed to be the main target. To make things worse, even his shadow doesn't felt threatening.
>>
>>377642583
>the problem with P5 is that the plot completely loses focus after Futaba's dungeon.
It's pretty much the opposite, he plot starts focusing on the conspiracy right after Futaba's dungeon.

The fact the the plot is not trying to shoehorn personal drama into each encounter is hardly a problem, it makes the story more solid on its thematics

>Somewhere in the story the themes of oppression stopped being personal and the lesson of the story got lost along the way, leaving the final act feeling like a jumbled mess.
The final act with Shido and Yaldabaoth is obviously referencing the rise of populism and authoritarianism in Japan and in the world
It's completly tied within the overall theme, which is about not trying to fit in at all cost and make your own thinking

Persona 5 is basically the anti-/v/ game
>>
File: 1493789558425.jpg (78KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1493789558425.jpg
78KB, 640x640px
Honestly the only reason I can see anyone being dissapointed with P5 is astronomical hype. P3 and P4 came sort of out of nowhere for most people and therefore people didn't expect much. I love those games but they are not flawless, it's only that we have come to expect much more.
>>
>>377626102
A better question: Why was it better than Persona 3?
>>
>>377643180
>why would it be personal
because personal stakes is what makes stories good? When you make things cold and impersonal, you end up with something akin to the Star Wars Prequels.

>Why would Shido care about Joker just because he had a run in with him one time?
Exactly the problem. Why the hell would they write the story so that Shido only runs into Joker twice? A HUGE fucking missed opportunity for good story telling right here. You could have had Shido run into Joker at different points throughout the story. Maybe Joker walks in on one of his speeches and causes a bit of a ruckus. Maybe Goro drags Joker to help with some busy work, leading to Joker running into Shiro at his office. More chance encounters like the one at the buffet. Shido eventually uncovers, 'hey, it is that punk from before!?' And now you have natural tension developed. Then when Joker reveals himself at the boss fight, it isn't 'who were you again?'

Instead it is "holy fuck it was you all along! I should have ruined your life when I had the chance!"

>Also there may have been no big feels moment, but there were plenty of little ones, which I preferred.

"Little feels"
There was build up with no pay off. This was the opposite problem with FFXV. FFXV had nothing but big payoff moments with almost no buildup. The end result was the story and those moments felt hollow and empty. P5 has endless build up, but very weak and very few pay off moments, leading you to feel narratively blue-balled and underwhelmed.
>>
P4 had great S.Links and more of a casual school life

Wish they went darker with the serial killer plot
>>
>>377645534
P4 is a shameless Jojo 4 rip-off actually. At least while not as unique as P2, P3 and P5 still feel very original.
>>
>>377645246
That poor zebra. I hope it gets well soon.
>>
>>377645485

The reason why Shido doesn't keep showing up is fairly obvious:

>thirsty for new targets, cant have the team decide to target Shido too early
>Shido is always important to Joker, but it would be better to target him after Okumura for story-telling reasons
>the election makes targeting the overarching villain even more meaningful than if they targeted him earlier purely for personal reasons
>>
>>377645485
Personal stakes are all good and well, but not if they're forced. I would rather what we got than a bunch of contrived chance encounters.

And what I should have sadi with the "little feels" is that there were plenty of moments just in Confidants and the like that were touching even if there was no moment that was heads and shoulders above the others for how emotional they were. Just having those moments like Futaba calling Sojiro dad added a lot to the game and they didn't need to be these big story event to do so.
>>
>>377626102
The only good thing to come out of P4 is tofu Rise
>>
File: 1458802843310.jpg (29KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
1458802843310.jpg
29KB, 450x320px
>>377626102
P5 is better just because it doesn't have that jackass, Yosuke. Dragged down my entire P4 experience and ruined the VA for me since whenever I hear him I just see Yosuke's faggot face.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.