[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which games were you surprised that didn't get localized?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: Gk2_boxartjp.jpg (118KB, 730x659px) Image search: [Google]
Gk2_boxartjp.jpg
118KB, 730x659px
which games were you surprised that didn't get localized? for me the main one has been ace attorney investigation 2. all the games prior to it got localized, the series had a decently big fan base, games since have been localized. it's just this one where capcpom went "nope". also it was much better than the first AAI which makes this even worse
>>
Fortunately fan translators saved the day in that case.
>>
File: 7192Ey-IPaL._SL1024_.jpg (141KB, 596x1024px) Image search: [Google]
7192Ey-IPaL._SL1024_.jpg
141KB, 596x1024px
>>377625883
another one for me was the psp version of eternal punishment. persona is atlus's biggest series (yes the games are different but still), we got the first half, but they just said to fans fuck you and they should play the ps1 version.
>>
>>377625883
If I had to choose a single game from the AA series, it would be AAI2. The rest are too japanesey and over gritty

Although due to going with a 'realism' route (aka no magic shit) ended up in ridiculous cases, it actually had a properly written story going on.
>>
File: DGS_Box_art.png (917KB, 700x623px) Image search: [Google]
DGS_Box_art.png
917KB, 700x623px
>>377626010
yes. thank god, and it was a pretty good translation as well. still sucks that we missed that one game being released officially. ace attorney is one of my all time favorite series and i still foolishly hope that we one day get it on a collection, perhaps for the switch.
also it's likely that we'll never get pic related and it's sequel. it's pretty sad when we get bullshit visual novels and worthless anime games but games from great series get left behind
>>
>>377625883
Japs don't like spin-offs.
>>
>>377626552
I'M STILL HOPING FOR THIS ONE
This is the best Ace Attorney so far in its gimmicky mechanics.
>>
>>377626979
It gets shit for no trial in Case 2, and you can be sure someone's going to complain about Van Zieks' racism.
>>
>>377626979
me too. it's by shu takumi himself, which means i'm hoping it will by default be better than aa5 and aa6. any impressions from people who have played the japanese version?
>>
>>377625883
Playing as alpha Miles and having a ninja sidekick was so goddamn fun. I even liked it more than PW games. Quite the same we never got the sequel.

Adding to the list, Fate Extra CC, the extra series was the only good part of the entire Fate franchise.
>>
>>377626552
From what I get it's nog going to be released here because of Sherlock Holmes. In the US it's trademarket and it's imposible to make him NOT him in a localisation.
>>
>>377627519
>In the US it's trademarket
no fucking way. he's public domain at this point. anyone can use him
>>
File: 1491782315311s.jpg (4KB, 124x124px) Image search: [Google]
1491782315311s.jpg
4KB, 124x124px
>post tfw Miles became a paladin of truth
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (241KB, 1000x888px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
241KB, 1000x888px
another one i'm getting worried about.
>>
File: Sherlock_portrait.png (320KB, 384x525px) Image search: [Google]
Sherlock_portrait.png
320KB, 384x525px
>>377627571
He is both right and wrong. Sherlock Holmes is public domain. However, whenever Sherlock Holmes is used in a way the Doyle Estate doesn't like, they throw a huge hissy fit. I guess Capcom didn't want to risk it.
>>
>>377627191
I don't see why trials are always necessary for every case. I mean, it still has mysteries to solve and that's enough for me.
And the racism is just being realistic, especially during that time.
>>377627198
I think it's impressive. It's really different and it's leagues forward to even AA6.
The story for most cases are a biiit ridiculous though.
>>
>>377627981
>The story for most cases are a biiit ridiculous though.
it wouldn't be aa without ridiculous stories

>>377627948
such a shame, steampunk sherlock makes me wet tbqh
>>
>>377627198
I'd say if you were disappointed in the direction 5 and 6 went in, DGS is probably more in line with what you wanted. It feels more like a real successor to 4 in spirit, but with more of a clear plan for the story.

It blows 5 and 6 out of the water in writing, production values, and visual style.
>>
>>377628167
No, it's actually more ridiculous than normal, I can't be specific because I'd just spoil it but a good example is case2
And also the OST is god tier, especially the joint reasoning/close argument parts.
>>
>>377628578
>>377628614
all of that sounds great. hope i get it play the finished fan translation in a few years.
>>
DGS1 is shit and failed potential

The second game can fix that

But anybody who wants to shitpost against the main AA series needs to stop being blind to see the first games flaws
>>
File: Deluxe_package.jpg (17KB, 332x218px) Image search: [Google]
Deluxe_package.jpg
17KB, 332x218px
shit i forgot the most important one. a fucking masterpiece, one of the best games i've ever played. thank god for tomato's fantastic translation. this is another one that i still hope nintendo comes to their senses and release officially in some form. perhaps a collection of all three games for the switch.
>>
>>377626256

>no magic shit

Why do people pretend that magic shit saves the day?

It doesnt, all it does is show flaws that you still have to present evidence to fix
>>
>>377627198

Spirit of Justice is a good game but DGS has that route people wanted after AA4 and it's overall style is very attractive
>>
>>377628578

>Writing

I would agree except for Blackquil, he's the best thing to come out of future saga
>>
It had mlp references. Fuck that, the AA series should fucking die now
>>
>>377626036
I am so fucking mad about this. The game already has a translation. It just needed a touch up.

Going back to the PS1 version without the quality of life improvements to combat is horrible. Having to change character's positions every round to keep using fusion spells wastes so much time.
>>
>>377629923
i think it needed a proper re-translation. the ps1 era atlus translations aren't really acceptable. it's getting a fan translation which seems to be moving slowly.
>>
>>377628578
WHAT THE FUCK? In every thread on /v/ I read it was a complete disappointment, I don't know who to believe now, I really like that the mass cross examination from PLvsAA is back though
>>
>>377630089
The fan translation is just going to use the original translation touched up (IE, removing the lunarvale shit and maybe changing a few of the really awkward lines). Assuming it ever actually happens, they said the script was 'done' like 2 years ago.

The other guys who were gonna actually retranslate it cancelled their project.
>>
File: pa.212840.10.jpg (463KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
pa.212840.10.jpg
463KB, 1500x1500px
It still hurts.
>>
>>377630547
fuck. atlus done fucked up. we'll never have a definitive version of the best persona game. now watch there being 6 persona 5 spin offs all getting localized
>>
>>377630810
yeah but i was almost sure we weren't getting 7 (and 8 but that wouldn't have really mattered). at least we got those
>>
>>377627948
The Doyle Estate is not legally able to stop anyone from using him, they lack even the initial basis for such a case to be brought. They would be wasting money to bring a frivolous suit that would be immediately thrown out, and Capcom is not so small as to be intimidated by a fucking author's estate.

Capcom is not bringing the game over for the same reason they didn't bring AAI2 over and the same reason they almost didn't bring AA5 over: the series has a fraction of its popularity in the West that it has in Japan. This is the same reason we were in the shit with Monster Hunter for so long. Basically, it looks bad to their corporate suits and shareholders for such a JP popular series to be doing "poorly" so they don't like even releasing them if they won't be huge hits. Nintendo does this too and oftentimes purposely avoids releasing things that would only be small successes at best.
>>
>>377629412
Tomato literally gave his translation to Nintendo no strings attached and they still haven't done shit.

All they have to do is put the patched ROM on the eShop and watch the money roll in.
>>
>>377631557
that would be fucked up, he has to be compensated
>>
>>377625883
Spin-offs don't sell that well even in Japan, where most of the sales for this series come from (AA isn't as big in the west as people keep saying it is) + this was at a time where the western side of Capcom were thinking about dropping the series in the west altogether, we almost didn't get AA5 either.

I can guarantee to you that DGS not being brought over is more a matter of sales than anything else too, not anything about it being too Japanese-y or issues with certain Sherlock Holmes stories, that game didn't even sell well by AA standards in Japan and is only getting a sequel due to being a passion project of Takumi, who has some sway within Capcom.
>>
>>377631621
I think having the game available to a wider Western audience is all the compensation he wants
>>
>>377631702
yeah but still, if that's the course that nintendo takes (which i hope it is but i think they'll do their own likely inferior translation) i think they'll pay him, not taking it for free
>>
>>377631938
It's been years. It's not releasing here.

We just gotta accept it.
>>
>>377632118
there's gonna be a mother 1+2+3 collection, for switch, released physically as well, using tomato's localization for 3 but also the one he did for 1 in 1+2, ditching the shitty translation of the nes game, released with a 6 cd soundtrack for all the games, a mr saturn plush, and a handwritten letter of apology in each copy for taking this long to release mother 3.
that's a known fact
>>
>>377632442
>Reggie actually has to handwrite letters of apology for every single manufactured copy
>>
>>377627519
Mate, just do what Arsene Lupin author did and rename him to Herlock Sholmes.
>>
>>377627519
Are these games made under clearance from the Doyle and Leblanc estates?
>>
>>377626552
Reminder it's getting fantranslated.
>>
>>377635179
Nope, they just don't give a fuck because the copyright and trademark literally expired decades ago. Doyle estate is just retarded and raises a stink but they can't do shit other than throw a temper tantrum.
>>
>>377629734
It had 1 (one) MLP reference, which also required you to actually interact with an irrelevant background piece. You're a moron for ignoring the entire game because of 1 fucking reference.
>>
>>377635179
no, why would they? the people who make tv shows and films based on sherlock don't have to pay anything or get any sort of permission, a game is obviously less important
>>
>>377630810
There's a fantranslation you know.
DQM2 remake on the other hand, now that one doesn't seem to be getting fantranslated as the team that did Terry's Wonderland translation has been very tongue in cheek TOTALLY-NOT-CONFIRMING-NUH-UH that they're working on Joker 3.
>>
>>377635920
On top of that, it was just something the fan translators stuck in. Obviously not the original writers.
>>
>>377636190
That was pretty obvious, I'm just saying that to condemn a legitimately Capcom-tier (heck, it's better than Capcom's since it isn't infested with typos) localization because of 1 dumb reference that Capcom would've most likely included as well considering their track record is just blatantly fucking retarded.
>>
>>377636324
Saying the AA series should die for it makes it sound more like they really thought it was Capcom's doing. Not much point in replying seriously to garbage posts like that, though.

I think My Little Pony references are a little out of range from what Capcom localizers would normally stick in, though. It felt like it stuck out as someone putting their thumbprint in.
>>
>>377637191
To be perfectly honest, it's only a reference if you actually know what it's referencing. Since if you don't, it's quite literally a description of the view before you - "A statue of a unicorn, sparking in the twilight" because that's literally what you see on screen. It's as inoffensive as you can get even if it's a horsefucker reference.
>>
>>377635934
Makes me wonder what's really going on then, if you can even freely make games with Holmes as the main character, putting him in the title and on the cover and everything.

All we ever heard was that there were "circumstances" in the way. It's just speculation that it's related to Holmes copyright. I feel like if Capcom USA and UK played their cards right, they could use the Holmes aspect to sell the game to a wider audience, including people who weren't already into Ace Attorney.
>>
>>377638521
they don't think it would sell, and that their americanization of the other games might not work with these games which is bs since they're a whole different series. but yes if they were smart they could have really used sherlock to help market the game.
>>
>>377626036
>>377625883
Because their predecessors didn't make enough money. That's basically it. AA games without Nick as the lead don't sell as well, hence why they ended up going back to Nick in AA5 and tricked everyone into thinking he was the lead in AA6 in order to sell copies. Innocent Sin didn't sell as well as they would have liked and Eternal Punishment actually sold less in Japan so they decided that costs of localization weren't worth it.

That's pretty much what it always boils down to. Sales.
>>
File: Touhou-Kobuto-V-Ann-Switch.jpg (240KB, 531x860px) Image search: [Google]
Touhou-Kobuto-V-Ann-Switch.jpg
240KB, 531x860px
>>377639080
>That's pretty much what it always boils down to. Sales.
see i get that, i know these games don't sell as much as big blockbuster games (let's ignore the fact that atlus doesn't really have any big selling games aside from new persona and capcom is a joke now making bomb after bomb, being basically kept alive by monster hunter), but from where are we getting these super niche, shitty anime games localized for vita and sometimes ps4 and now switch? i refuse to believe they make more money or sell more than an ace attorney or classic persona game. if they are profitable for their publishers, why can't bigger publishers localize games that they know will make their fan bases happy?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.