[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has there never been a successful superman game franchise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

File: lead_960.jpg (142KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
142KB, 960x640px
Why has there never been a successful superman game franchise?
Spiderman and batman have one
>>
Too OP
>>
Superman 64 is a classic.
>>
>>377616778
they could tone him down though
>>
>>377616718
Being a likeable character helps.
Spider-Man is about a poor shmuck making his way to the top only to get shit on and pushed all the way to back down to the bottom. Spider-Man is the perpetual underdog and why people like him so much. In fact Spider-Man is liked so much that when an author took over and made the last issue of ASM about Doc Ock finally killing Spider-Man and proceeding to have sex with Mary Jane, the outcry was so massive that Marvel had to issue apologies and retcon all of it.

Batman is Tony Stark but likeable. alfred is the real star 2bh

Superman is a mary-sue who gains a new power each year with little to no likeable qualities and has the mentality of the child to the point where he can become a corrupt supervillian just because the store ran out of milk.
>>
nobody really understands the character.
>muh godlike being
>muh alien planet
>muh yellow sun
>muh rock poisoning

nobody can build a game around an invulnerable-by-default character

Superman's skill set is far too overpowered
>>
>>377618467
Just put kryptonite in it. Plus powerful super villains. Done.
>>
File: 1479043246779.jpg (1MB, 2996x1655px) Image search: [Google]
1479043246779.jpg
1MB, 2996x1655px
>>377616718
Breath of the Wild wasn't attempted until now simply because they didn't have the tech to handle what they wanted to do until the Switch.

You're looking at the OG Superhero, whose power set is basically the "default" for your universe's flagship hero.

You need a level designer competent enough to create something where it's interesting for the hero to fly over everything. Even when characters have hooks and gliders, or can even climb everything with impunity, they're still dependent on the whole architecture of the world to get everywhere. A character that can fly at will does not.

You need to decide how much the player can affect the world. Superman will brawl through buildings and the Earth, you think an open world engine will be sophisticated enough to handle that being done at will, outside of tech demo novelties?

But once you get past all the technological issues, you've got a rich setting to play around with and construct, you just need someone good enough to handle something this demanding.
>>
>>377618142
>>377618467

>injustice
>batman warns superman of scarecrow gas
>superman shrugs it off because fuck you im alien, ignores batman
>accidentally kills lois
>blames batman and all the humans
>runs a totalitarian dictatorship where all crimes are punishable by death
>literally kills a 12 year old for disagreeing with the notion that superman should wipe metropolis and Gotham from the planet to show superiority

Superman just isn't a good character
>>
Goku vs Superman
Who would win?
>>
>>377619350
Superman because he's a stronger mary-sue.

Goku if they fought multiple times because of the "close to death makes you stronger" bullshit power that goku has.
>>
>>377617854

Then it wouldn't be a Superman simulator.
>>
>>377618142

Superior Spiderman was Marvels best selling comic during it's run. They have scarcely sold anything in numbers like that since it was cancelled.
People like spiderman for the same reason people are drawn to shit like Call of duty and Angry birds. Not because its good, because its simple and has the most exposure. Parker isn't a complex character. He's just got 50 different animated shows, loads of movies, etc etc. He is one of Stan Lee's favourites so its unlikely to change.
>>
>>377619648
>Parker isn't a complex character.
His character is being the underdog. He's a simple man but always shitted on and pushed aside like trash, yet when he dawns the mask he does his best to protect people. This is why people like him. Superior sold because of controversy, but it's not-debatable that it was the worst possible send off for the ASM run by shitting on the fans like Dan Slott did.
>>
>>377618798

I agree that he's a bad character, but one writer's interpretation doesn't justify that opinion alone. You probably saw the backlash when Superman killed in MoS. Injustice isn't a realistic interpretation of Superman because he wouldn't kill, even if he accidentally killed his woman and child.
>>
>>377616718
Why does he have vegeta hair?
>>
>>377620101
This isn't the first time he's went off the deep-end and became a villain
>>
Superman is in a weird spot when it comes to vidya. Either you go for the omnipotent godlike character and it's not very appealing, or you go for the phylosophical aspect of Superman, and I don't know if you can translate it well ingame. Maybe something like Mass Effect? With impactful dialogues (implying Mass Effect is doing it) and shiet.
>>
>>377619998

Parker is constantly bitching and moaning about being downtrodden and having bad luck. In reality, he's not got it any thought than many super heroes. Tell me he had a harder life than anyone in the Batman mythos. Most of the people who like spiderman have never picked up a comic book in their life.

Slott was given a consultancy role in homecoming, so it will be interesting to see how that turns out.
>>
File: 1481822064873.png (2MB, 800x1141px) Image search: [Google]
1481822064873.png
2MB, 800x1141px
>>377620380
Or you go for a Superman that makes sense in his universe and the things he interacts with.

You all are acting like Superman doesn't take on threats on his level on a regular basis.
>>
>>377620560
Yeah, but I don't know how you would play those fights. Maybe something a la Xenoverse, but that's a bit underwhelming.
>>
>>377619998
>He's a simple man but always shitted on and pushed aside like trash, yet when he dawns the mask he does his best to protect people.
So the same as 99.99999% of superheroes. The only real difference is that Parker is young.
>>
>>377620857
God Hand with fists only for any actual physical contact, and he can fly.
>>
>>377618142
>>377618798
>>377620101
Please, stop being so casual. Don't discuss Superman ever again
>>
There should be more capeshit about people with superpowers who try to use it for their own gain. No capes, no costumes, etc., just a show about what the average person would do when given powers.
>>
>>377620951
Not true, especially with the DC universe. Everyone is either rich as fuck, ayy lmaos, or have god powers.

I don't think any other character has been shitted on in the marvel universe as much as parker has.
>>
>>377618657
>He needs to be able to destroy massive buildings
Not really. Plenty of games have events that would destroy things and don't. An RPG in GTA v doesn't do any damage to buildings etc.
>>
>>377621072
Is preventing all discussion about superman a new super power he developed from staying in the sun :^)
>>
>>377621145
Daredevil's life makes Peter's look like a cakewalk.
>>
>>377621202
I never said that that he needs to(or indeed should). I was just using it as an example of what the game needs to be able to handle doing to really convey Superman as opposed to GTA San Andreas with Superman mods.

You could argue that Superman could override player input and while he might go whole hog on a bad guy, he'll automatically restrain himself if his fists are going for a normal human or a building to minimize damage.
>>
>>377620402
Slott eventually 180'd and had Parker "take control" of his body with some unexplained bullshit like "his consciousness is always there" and some shit. Doc Ock effectively became Peter Parker again somehow, despite Peter being literally dead.
>>
File: jonah-hex.jpg (83KB, 630x347px) Image search: [Google]
jonah-hex.jpg
83KB, 630x347px
>>377616718
All you would need to do to make a Superman game is plot contrive his being on Apokolips or something. Darkseid kidnapped him with intent for mind control like he always does, Superman breaks free but now must fight his way across the planet to find a way back to Earth.

There done. You want open world? Apokolips, there it is, save Lowlies, only for them to be Lowlies and betray you? Sure. Blow up slave pits and big buildings flying through them or using Superman's powers? OK whatever throw in giant robots too. You want classic references? have Big Barda and Scott Free helping him, have Orion show up. Throw in bosses, and new references like Brutaal, even other mind consoled heroes since the game won't sell unless Batman is in it somehow. You want a leveling system? Part of the attempted mind control made him weak and he needs time to get back up to full strength, there, that's free. Or not, he's on Apokolips, fighting parademons, a god of tyranny and destruction in Darkseid and other extra dimensional evil shit, no reason for him not to go all out. This shit is easy.
>>
>>377621314
Peter was created for the nerds/geeks/dorks of the 60s who always got shitted on but rised above the occasion even if all odds were against them. Spidey follows a very obvious flowchart in all his comics.
Shitty situation -> Victory through hard work and determination -> shitted on back to square 1 -> repeat
Even to the point where it doesn't make sense (Manifesto deal to erase MJ and his memory for Aunt May's life. wtf?)

Murdock is a guy out for revenge because of his faggot ass dad and stop Kingpin
>>
>>377621145
>>377621314

Punisher?
Penance?
Wolverine?
Magneto?
Flash Thompson?
You know what, pretty much every single member of the Xmen.
David Banner
Wade Wilson
Ben Grimm

I mean, just off the top of my head, have all had it much worse than Parker. They all complain less, and most are much more heroic than he is.
>>
>>377621648
The goal of parker was a relatable underdog. I can't see how any of those characters are relatable.
You listed nothing but alpha males, and peter is a beta cuck
>>
>>377621510

I don't like Superman but I'd play the fuck out of that game.
>>
Superman's at his best when he is being Hero Man. Games always want to focus on him fighting, which is never very exciting unless he's up against cosmic horrors. An ideal Superman game would be in a GTA style open world where you've got to save people, stop crimes, and save the city, with maybe a few big bads to fight along the ride. Create consequences for allowing bad stuff to happen. The puts pressure on the player.
>>
File: 1473129114532.png (1019KB, 865x449px) Image search: [Google]
1473129114532.png
1019KB, 865x449px
>>377616718
Because the few attempts like Superman 64 or Returns ranged from disastrous to mediocre and because most normies can't take Superman seriously without some serious tweakings like Injustice's evil version or the blindly destructive one you see in your damn pic

Yeah, the fact that he's such a powerful character could be a problem to some devs i guess but it's not like they're even trying. Characters like Spidey, Batman or even the Xmen have a long history in gaming and multiple gems beloved by the public, Supes has no such thing to encourage more devs to give it a shot. Just look at Iron Man, despite his recent massive popularity he ain't getting games either because the few he does have failed to leave any mark in the industry, and with him there's no bullshit "he's too powerful!" excuse
>>
>>377621953
>muh underdog

What kind of life do you live where the only hero you can relate to is "hyperintelligent manchild that all the 10/10 supermodel-tier superheroines are attracted to and some bad stuff happens in his life occasionally," but can't empathize with someone crusading for vengeance because his family was murdered, or a Holocaust victim, or people that are basically a metaphor for social discrimination in general?
>>
>>377622221
>>377622221
Parker is relatable, that's the argument.
He was designed for the betas of the 60s.
I'm not saying he's lived a harder life than the rest of the cast, just he's follows a very strict flowchart when it comes to his comics where he almost always gets shitted on so he can stay the perpetual underdog.
Him experiencing happiness, albiet briefly, is just one of those things that makes him likeable and relatable.

Which is why he's so popular.
>>
>>377616718
Get rid of god-alien Superman and bring back golden age Superman. Done.
>>
>>377621953

Punisher relatable to war vets .
Penance relatable to school shooters
Wolverine is an alpha male and no one reading comic books will ever relate to him.
Magneto is relatable to Jewish Wizards.
Xmen are relatable to transgenders.
Flash is relatable to cripples.
Hulk is a fantasy character for nerds who think they'll make it swole.
Deadpool is relatable to people who think they are funny.
Thing is relatable to rocks.
>>
>>377616718
Cause Superman can fly and there aren't any devs who can do flying melee combat in a fun way.

Also all they need to do to make a good Superman game is set it on Apokolips. Since it has no yellow sun he can't fly and can only superleap. Bam, Superman Ultimate Destruction
>>
>>377622615
Relatable is probably a poor choice of word I guess. Because almost certainly someone, somewhere can relate to any comic book hero.
Otherkins probably relate to Rocket Raccoon and Ch'p.

I mostly meant designed to pander to the majority of people who purchase comics, ie beta nerds.
>>
>>377622797
I love spiderman but I think you are wrong
>>
>>377622776
>make superman game
>can fly
>just fly to end boss and beat game

Honestly that would be the best superman game, just make everything optional.

Make it like the PS2 Spider-man games where there's a big city and you can hear people bitching and crying and you have a choice to safe them or not. But this time instead of doing required events to progress the game you can just go to the big bad and shit on him
>>
>>377616778
Fpbp
>>
>>377618467
Game set in a alternate post apocalyptic dimension where earth's sun turns into a red giant and superman's powers are getting weaker and weaker because of it
>>
>>377616778
There are so many comics and shows that there has to exist enough material for the same amount of game storylines.
>>
File: superman-video-game-art.jpg (124KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
superman-video-game-art.jpg
124KB, 1200x630px
>>377616718
Here's the problem with a Superman game. It's not that he's too OP. They need to find something that works. Batman Games became decent when they figure out that the game could be made up of stealth, gadget puzzle, Beat em up and exploration. All those things work with his character and does him justice. A Superman game needs it's own formula. You need to do the his powers justice so I guess an open map would be best so you can fly. You then need to make powers work within gameplay when roaming and combat. You then need something to break up the combat gameplay and free roam. Otherwise it will become stale and repetitive, making you feel like you are just flying from one destination to the next beating up some dude and they rinse and repeating. (Like Witcher 3.) Just need to find something interesting you can do so it's not just flying and fighting. Or just say fuck it and fuck doing the the powers justice and just make a reskinned DMC game but with Superman. But DMC/GOW would be better suite for Wonder Woman.
>>
>>377623182
That wouldn't make any sense. First because the sun will be pumping out more radiation as a red giant. Secondly because the Earth will be superheated into a uninhabitable hellscape.
>>
superman is regularly affected by magic
simple answer: magic villains
>>
>>377623817
i forgot about this weakness
>>
>>377623912
That's because pop culture never, ever mentions it. Everybody thinks Supes is completely invincible if Kyrptonite isn't in the mix.
>>
They could throw in only the villains who can actually give him a hard time, like Brainiac, Darkseid and that one robot with kryptonite inside it.

Heck, they could even come up with more villains who rival his power level. Then we could have over the top super hero showdowns.
>>
File: latest.png (97KB, 353x457px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
97KB, 353x457px
>>377624182
not a lot of magic guys running around in comic book mythos, only one i can think of is those from the dr.strange universe

i'd like to see Merlin fight Superman
>>
>>377623817
Have Lex launch a rocket that "accidentally" explodes and releasing tiny synthetic Kryptonite throughout the air around metropolis. Just affecting Superman to a small degree. The next game go with Darkseid's focuses. They should keep it SciFi and magic isn't really Superman's world.
>>
>>377624182
Well, that, and most really mainstream Superman stuff never has him come into contact with magic or the other stuff that his high durability doesn't protect against.

So he can brawl with Captain Marvel/Black Adam and their lightning bolts will give him a hard time, or Captain Atom wielding red sun radiation, but that generally only happens in comics/cartoons(e.g. the Justice League cartoon adaptation of the Kingdom Come duel between Superman and Captain Marvel).
>>
>>377618657
This.

Also you're not going to get good responses here because /v/ doesn't really read comics. Like that post that talks shit about Superman just because he's very poorly written in Inj 2, like that's good material to work with or something even though Injustice is a poorly written AU where almost everyone is super out-of-character.
>>
>>377623817
Or just do what that PS2 game did and give the city a healthbar instead
>>
>>377624568
Strange is a Marvel character. DC has a lot more "magic" characters than Marvel does. In general, DC has a much more "mythical" theme with their heroes than Marvel where most of their heroes acquire their powers through science or technology.
>>
>>377618657
>Breath of the Wild wasn't attempted until now simply because they didn't have the tech to handle what they wanted to do until the Switch.

What the fuck? The game that's also available on the Wii U? And that could've been done pretty much the same ever since the PS3/360 generation?
>>
>>377625016
im a comic pleb, but i knew strange was marvel, i meant in general

all i know of dc is ayy lmaos with super powers, advanced races with super powers, rich folks and edgy fucks.
>>
>>377624883
>where almost everyone is super out-of-character

I'd be interested in getting to know what characters are IN character, then. I don't read the comics and all except for few exceptions.

My golden reference for Superman is Allstars Superman, where he's brave, selfless, a little brash at times, and perhaps most interesting of all, incredibly intelligent. He knows what he's doing instead of being a hotblooded tard.
>>
>>377618657
>Marvel Man
>Blue Marvel
>Captain Marvel
>Mary Marvel

>Mighty Man
>Maximum Man
>Wonder Man
>Captain Dynamo

Why are superhero names so retarded?
>>
>>377625456
>My golden reference for Superman is Allstars Superman, where he's brave, selfless, a little brash at times, and perhaps most interesting of all, incredibly intelligent. He knows what he's doing instead of being a hotblooded tard.
Yep, ASS is probably the best Superman story ever written but actually presenting any of DC's major characters, aside from Batman, as earnest and without a hint of irony is seriously out of vogue right now. It's such a shame, too.

As for who was in character, Brainiac, Darkseid, Vixen, Dr. Fate, and Swamp-Thing, I guess.
>>
>>377619648
>He is one of Stan Lee's favourites so its unlikely to change.

The fuck does this mean? Stan Lee hasn't had shit to do with Marvel for years.
>>
>>377620951

Unlike the rest of them, he's the first
>>
People say that Superman is too powerful.
So fucking what? The game wouldn't be about him fighting Toyman or some other pussy, but Darkseid or Brainiac.

Get Paul Dini to write it, adapt Apokolips Now from Superman TAS = PROFIT.
>>
>>377621145
>Everyone is either rich as fuck, ayy lmaos, or have god powers.
They're still all people who overcame a shitty life/shitty event to become something great. It's archetypal, and I'd struggle to think of a superhero that doesn't fit it.

>Not true, especially with the DC universe.
Batman had both parents die as a child and grew up as an autistic orphan infatuated with bats.
Superman's whole planet blew up so he's an alien with no family living on a planet full of pussies and also his new family died too.
Wonder Woman is made out of clay or some shit and lives away from her sisters in scary Man's World. Also she's a marginalized lesbian.

You'll find very quickly that almost all superhero origin stories share the same themes, and almost always involve a tragic event, which almost always involves losing/leaving family/friends. It's a necessary thing given what superheroes represent. You can argue that Peter Parker had a greater number of shitty things happen to him, but to say that experiencing tragedy is unique to Parker is absurd.
>>
>>377626326
No, he's not.
>>
>>377626184
It's like Mario, you don't fuck with Mario out of respect for Shiggy.
>>
>>377620170
It's a widow's peak.
>>
>>377616718
Because superman is fucking boring as shit, just like the rest of dc and marvel
>>
>>377626365
This anon gets it.

There are tons of villains who can fight toe-to-toe with Superman. And if you need mooks, just use Brainiac bots or Parademons or something. BE CREATIVE.
>>
Just put it in a 1940s era setting before Superman became invincible to everything.
>>
>>377626503
>It's like Mario, you don't fuck with Mario out of respect for Shiggy.

Is this a serious post?

Marvel has been fucking Spider-Rick for years. They killed his marriage and then had MJ dump his ass.

Hell, Marvel tried to fuck Stan Lee out of royalties. Stan Lee fought back and had them pay for more.
>>
I imagine Telltale will probably have a bash at making one.
>>
>>377627147
This would be fucking cool. 1940-1960 era superman. Set it then as well. Retro aesthetic. Would make it stand out as well.
>>
File: 1439141821419.jpg (134KB, 582x579px) Image search: [Google]
1439141821419.jpg
134KB, 582x579px
>>377627415
>Telltale
May God not allow it.
>>
>>377617854
they can't though, because fans of anything even remotely popular lose their mind over every single tiny little detail and shit on something if it's not "true" to whatever arbitrary rules they put on something they feel is important to them.
You tone him down, and people get upset that he's not superman, you make him ridiculously strong, people say it's boring and dumb to play as someone that's invincible.
it's a lose lose
>>
>>377626381
>but to say that experiencing tragedy is unique to Parker is absurd.
p sure thats not what he said, but rather parker is only there to be a 'perpetual underdog" where after every triumph he gets knocked down a peg
the entire parker character since the 60s has been knock down, rise up, knock down and repeat forever
>>
File: 92948371702883.jpg (231KB, 900x1369px) Image search: [Google]
92948371702883.jpg
231KB, 900x1369px
This is the real guy that needs his own game

>>377616778
Could use American Alien Supes
>>
>>377627779
>the entire parker character since the 60s has been knock down, rise up, knock down and repeat forever
Again, the same as every other superhero.
>>
>>377627395
How fucking badass is Stan Lee? Help contribute to some of the most timeless characters of the modern era, see them become popular world-wide, fight back against the corporate fuckheads trying to pocket all of the money you've made them, and force your way into stupid cameos in every movie they make, keeping yourself relevant far beyond your actual worth. The man can die proud.
>>
>>377628534
i dont remember a moment where murdock ever got to rise up, p sure its been knock down since forever
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.