[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You know a series is in dire straits when fans are so starved

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 20

File: 1371089842475.png (336KB, 478x1047px) Image search: [Google]
1371089842475.png
336KB, 478x1047px
You know a series is in dire straits when fans are so starved for a new entry in the series that they praise a mediocre fan remake as being the second coming of Christ.
>>
Agreed. Fuck am2r
>>
What aspects of it did you find mediocre?
>>
>>377616002
Animations and sound design are the big ones for me. Not the OP though.

Not to mention the trash open level design in some pretty important sections. Obviously that's a flaw of the original Metroid II, and not am2r, but it's definitely not giving the game any extra points
>>
Nah, the people sucking AM2R's dick are not fans.

Real fans knew from the outset that Federation Force was a great idea. It's amazing to me how few people realized that the Blast Ball event at the Nintendo World Championship was a Metroid title. It had the same HUD and everything.
>>
>>377616382

Throw yourself into traffic please.
>>
>>377614261
Considering the fans also praise a mediocre official "remake" of the original game I'm not surprised.
>>
>>377616912
This
>>
Tell me,If outsourced.
Who can save this series?
Bioware?Ubisoft?EA?Bethesda?
>>
>>377616912

Zero Mission was ace, you're a faggot.
>>
>>377614261
You know that the Second Coming is a time for sorrow and despair, right?
>>
File: 1484914191810.png (145KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
1484914191810.png
145KB, 498x498px
>>377616382
>>
>>377616382
I know you're baiting but I do agree to an extent. I think Federation Force would have been perfectly fine had it been released in conjunction with proper Metroid titles and not after six years of radio silence since the objectively worst game in the franchise.
>>
>>377620619

Federation Force would have been forgotten or a mere joke rather than an insult, if there were good Metroid games at the same time.
>>
I just want a Prime 2 port on the switch.
>>
>>377621457

I'd rather not have a port, they'd just patch all the fun stuff out again.
>>
>>377614261
In what way is AM2R not better than Super? It doesn't stand up to Prime but it's superior to Super in everyway. I mean for one the control is actually smooth as butter and the bosses aren't trash, even the repeated Metroid fights are better than Super which is just missile spam the game.
>>
>>377622107

>He doesn't like Super's controls
You need to git gud.
>>
>>377622107
Here's
>>
>>377622209
I don't need to git gud when I'm already good. But that doesn't mean it's control scheme and feel is superior to AM2R. Both AM2R, Zero Mission and Fusion play better than Super. Take of those nostalgia goggles.
>>
File: mst.gif (2MB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
mst.gif
2MB, 275x200px
>made a Metroid tier list image
>every time I post it people ask "where's AM2R?"

It's not on it because it's a fucking fan game.
>>
>>377622513

>I don't need to git gud when I'm already good.
Not good enough to pull off any of Super's trademark speed tricks. If you were, you'd appreciate a physics system with some momentum conservation.
>>
ITT /v/ jealous of AM2R developer succes.
>>
>>377622861
I don't need to use any of the techniques like Shinesparking to enjoy Super. I can't do it, but I don't need it to speedrun the game. I prefer the fast and fluid moment of AM2R since exploring the environment is much more fun. Being able to morph at the press of a button is just and having auto-run just makes the game play better.
>>
>>377623430
>can't
Meant, can do it*
>>
>>377623250
>Make zero dollars
>A success
>>
>>377623639
He got a job you can only dream of.
>>
>>377623783
I have zero interest in game design so I doubt I would dream of it much
>>
>>377623430

Shinesparking isn't even what I'm talking about, that shit was in the GBA games (and improved).

>I prefer the fast and fluid moment of AM2R since exploring the environment is much more fun.
Explore what? The world is linear as fuck.
>Main shaft, world 1, main shaft, world 2, main shaft, world 3, main shaft, world 4, main shaft, world 5, world 6, endgame.
It's boring as fuck. There's never anything to learn about the world, it's all disposable. You visit it once and forget about it.

Super and AM2R are games with a completely different focus, it just doesn't make sense to compare them directly like this. Combat in AM2R is better for sure, but exploration in Super is a million times better.
>>
How would you react to a Metroid reboot with a black Samus? Samus removes her helmet revealing she's a black female, how would that make you feel?
>>
>>377614261
>mediocre
It's on par with zero mission.
>>
File: Dark Samus.png (486KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Samus.png
486KB, 900x1200px
>>377624082

My question in all these scenarios always remains the same.
>Is it a good game?
That's all that ever matters.
>>
>>377616382
>namefag
>shit opinion

This is why I advocate euthanasia
>>
I'm starting to believe Metroid fans are the most autistic
>fuck fan games
>muh bimbosuit
>the shitty games are the best
>>
File: Seriously Goyim.png (93KB, 203x345px) Image search: [Google]
Seriously Goyim.png
93KB, 203x345px
>>377624639

>the shitty games are the best
>>
>>377624082
Why the fuck are you asking this
Nobody gives a shit
>>
>>377616382
Kill yourself
>>
>>377614261
Am2r is great you idiot. As are many other fangames like hyper metroid, sm redesign, and escape 2. But what sets this apart is the fact that it is made with mostly original assets, engine, enemies, and improvements on the clunky original.

Fuck anyone that dislikes something just because its a fangame.
>>
File: lol.gif (538KB, 358x234px) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
538KB, 358x234px
>>377626512

>mostly original assets
>>
>>377622831
Where's AM2R?
>>
File: AM2R TUBES.png (69KB, 622x448px) Image search: [Google]
AM2R TUBES.png
69KB, 622x448px
>>377626512
>mostly original assets
Except that's not true. It's made with mostly ripped assets. The SFX and Graphics in particular are ripped straight from the GBA games.
>>
>>377627292

I'd say it's about 50:50 desu
>>
>>377627378
More like 90:10 ripped:original
>>
File: 1451096707222.jpg (85KB, 650x543px) Image search: [Google]
1451096707222.jpg
85KB, 650x543px
>>377616382
>Still asshurt Faggot Force fucking bombed
>>
>>377616382
Sure thing """"Cody""""
>>
>>377627471
>not recognizing an ironic shitpost
you've been trolled
>>
Daily reminder that Cody enjoys Federation Force more than Super and the entire Prime series
>>
>>377616382
Lmao
>>
File: Samus Dance.gif (89KB, 200x100px) Image search: [Google]
Samus Dance.gif
89KB, 200x100px
Why can't Metroid fans just all get along?
>>
>>377627868

Because everyone's looking to pick a fight.
>>
>>377624082
By not doing it.
>>
>>377624639
ACfag?
>>
>>377627292
D-delete this! AM2R is 100% original!
>>
Hi guys

I like every Metroid game, including AM2R and Other M...

I don't like Prime Hunters, it fucking sucks as a single player
>>
>>377628067
Sure it is, buddy
You just go wander around Chozodia, I mean the Golden Temple and keep thinking that to yourself.
>>
>>377624082
I would be a little pissed at retconning a character for no reason, just like I would be pissed at an all-white reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. If Dark Samus was a different character entirely and didn't replace regular Samus, I wouldn't mind all that much if it was explained through lore.

That being said, as long as the game is good, I wouldn't dock it for an asspull at the end.
>>
>>377614261
>fantastic fangame remake of a title that nintendo will never remake
>metroid fuccbois are so starved for something to argue about since Other M and ZSS ass is so tired out by this point that they have to shitpost about AM2R

AM2R is something this fucking dying franchise needed. Besides, Even if we didn't get it, people would be shitposting about Federation Force, which isn't even worth shitposting about.

fucking fags
>>
>>377628256
>just like I would be pissed at an all-white reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
But aren't they actually doing that?
>>
>>377627868
Other M destroyed confidence in the series and a couple of shitposters came in (ACFag, Cody, etc) and started doing their business.
>>
>>377620619
Just like Tokyo Mirage Sessions was well received by fans when it was revealed around the same time as Fates?

Ha ha.

Metroid fans are desperate, DESPERATE, to try and justify their attitudes regarding this fucking game. The backlash had NOTHING to do with Other M or the lack of new releases. It had everything to do with the change in visual style and the lack of your precious female protagonist.

For comparison's sake, look at other, more popular franchises like Yoshi or Donkey Kong who both went through much longer dry spells than Metroid ever did. Those never got flak for games like DK King of Swing being made, even though the guys who made Yoshi's New Island are generally considered to be some of the worst developers ever.

Metroid fans care more about preserving this image of being fans of the ''''''''mature''''' Nintendo franchise than they are in actually playing and enjoying the games.
>>
>>377614261
People got to play a half-decently made, proper metroid game, after years of Primes (which weren't bad, but deviated from the series' roots pretty heavily) and then Other M. With the announcement of Federation Force, you'd best fucking believe some people were high as fuck on life because it wasn't just dome dime-a-dozen low quality hash, but years of effort and planning had gone into making something that would take the original and make it better.

And, ultimately, that's what it succeeded in doing. Several of the original's flaws were mitigated, and although ultimately there were some things that could just not be fixed without completely redoing the game from scratch to the point that it wouldn't really be Metroid 2 anymore, it was overall a considerable improvement to the original in much the way that Zero Mission was to the original Metroid. And that's worth praise.

>>377616185
I didn't find the sound design any worse than Zero Missions, although it's not really possible to compare to something like Fusion's sound design. Goddamn.
>>
>>377628353
I wouldn't know, because I wouldn't bother watching that garbage in the first place. I hate it when a character's race is changed for no reason. That's why I won't bother watching The Dark Tower when it comes out.
>>
>>377623984
>Explore what? The world is linear as fuck.
Not him but, if you were talking about the original Metroid 2, you'd be right. But there's a fucktonne more secrets in AM2R than there ever were in M2, as well as whole additional areas that weren't in the original.

The general progression is linear as fuck, but ultimately the game isn't as linear as the original was.
>>
>>377627868
I dunno if you were around before Other M, but these threads were akin to kirby threads. They were fantastic and everyone shared about their favorite games and reveled in a beautiful franchise together. there was none of this prime vs super crap or people spamming that they wanna fuck samus and shit. It was nice.

Other M destroyed the fanbase of metroid the way SEGA fractured the fanbase of sonic.
>>
>>377618601
>EA, the company that is in the business of ruining vidya for the sake of making a quick buck

>Saving a franchhise

b8 confirmed.
>>
>>377618601
none of those shit companies i can tell you that much
>>
File: 1372378551701.jpg (408KB, 834x602px)
1372378551701.jpg
408KB, 834x602px
>someone complains about a game being praised
>ask what they disliked about it
>posts something that's factually wrong
>posts proving he never touched the game
>posts "fangames don't count lol"

talking shit about AM2R without actually debunking it and showing why it's (supposedly) bad will never convince anyone you fucking retards

now go back to playing Federation Force, or to pretending that you're a Super Metroid speedrunner, or start using actual arguments
>>
File: 1284153764726.png (9KB, 271x288px) Image search: [Google]
1284153764726.png
9KB, 271x288px
>>377614261
You know a shitpost is hastily made when faggots are so starved for replies that they antagonize a decent fanbase with a poorly constructed falseflag.
>Also; (you).
>>
>>377628028
The last metroid thread I was in, most of it was taken up by poster wanting to talk about the zero suit and being pissed off about it, and the one before that had some guy pretending to be samus.
>>
>>377629186
show one example of a post that is factually wrong
>>
>>377628739

I agree but the overall structure is the same.
Unless your goal is to get 100%, there's never a cause to go back to go back to an old area and play with your new powerups. And that's just kinda boring.
>>
>>377622861
>g. Several of the original's flaws were mitigated, and although ultimately there were some things that could just not be fixed without completely redoing the game from scratch to the point that it wouldn't really be Metroid 2 anymore, it was overall a considerable improvement to the original in much the way that Zero Mission was to the original Metroid. And that's worth praise.
>>>377616185
>I didn't find the sound design any worse than Zero Missions, although it's not really possible to compare to something like Fusion's sound design. Goddamn.

Super Metroid physics are atrocious. It may have momentum, but everything feels super floaty. I prefer a million times the tightness of the GBA Metroids.

>>377623984
>Explore what? The world is linear as fuck.
After Super, not a single Metroid game has been not linear.
>>
>>377629946
>implying Super isn't linear
>>
>>377629946

AM2R is definitely an improvement over the original, you won't hear me arguing about that.
"Tight" just means "inflexible". You aren't able to pull off 2/3rds of the tricks you can in Super Metroid. For an action game like AM2R that's fine, but if you want exploration and tests of platforming skill then Super Metroid is far superior.
If you were a Sonicfag, you'd understand.

Prime and Zero Mission are plenty nonlinear. Prime is especially nonlinear compared to its sequel because of its laxer physics engine.

>>377630172

It's linear if you can't git gud.
>>
If you're doing a single playthrough of each game then AM2R is probably going to be the best time you have. But Super will hold up more on repeat playthroughs because of how nonlinear it is and because there is just so much hidden stuff in the game (not just talking about missile tanks and the like, angel sparking or being able to quickly kill that one boss with the electric wall are secrets that make multiple attempts at the game more fun).

AM2R is probably my favorite though just because the controls for Super were kinda ass. Not talking about the physics, I mean the button layouts. You can remap them somewhat but none of them really feel good. The controls in Super are a hurdle you have to overcome, not something that feels natural or easy to pick up.
>>
>>377628405
(1/2)
That's not really equivalent, though. The atmosphere and gameplay of the Metroid series has always been very different to Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong has been wacky since the beginning, while Metroid has always been fairly tone-consistent. While I agree that Federation Force's visuals had a lot to do with its backlash, I don't think that's unwarranted when the series has established a particular aesthetic. Donkey Kong has never had to worry about breaking its aesthetic, because its aesthetic has always been defined by being a fucking monkey. It's never had lore, or mystery, or any significant amount of characterization really. Also? Donkey Kong's fanbase has never been as large nor as vocal as Metroid's.

Other M got a lot of flak for its visual aesthetic well before it was released. The candy-gloss look of Samus's suit and everything being vibrant as fuck as opposed to the more muted or darker colours we're generally used to made it look iffy as hell, although it was given a tentative pass because the gameplay looked neat (before we knew more about the game) and there was the possibility of getting some more lore and backstory - something that it royally fucked up 15 ways from sunday. End result was that the game and atmosphere felt absolutely nothing like a Metroid game, where even Prime managed to preserve the series' integrity despite the gameplay leap from 2D to 3D, and on top of that the quality was low as shit.

Metroid Prime: HUNTERS played the worst in the series in terms of single player before Other M, but even that wasn't written off entirely, because it still had redeeming qualities in lore, worldbuilding, and aesthetic, as well as the multiplayer gameplay being generally pretty decent. This was because, ultimately, while it wasn't a particularly high quality game, it did not betray the foundation of Metroid.
>>
>>377630425

I recommend the Control Freak patch for Super Metroid.
It retains the same physics engine, but gives you modern Metroid features like optional auto-run and R as a missile + power bomb modifier button a la Fusion/ZM.
>>
>>377628405
>>377630492
(2/2)
Federation Force did. So very little of it resembles its root series. Which is fucking mind-boggling given just how obviously it's built on the foundation that Hunters laid out. You say that it had nothing to do with Other M or the lack of new releases. You're wrong. While they aren't the primary reason, they are still contending factors for exactly why its reception was so fucking poor. You'd be a fool to deny that, had Other M not existed, it would be received much better than it was. Not particularly well, still, but the backlash would not have been nearly as extreme. We'd end up going "Well, it's just a spin-off, so whatever, but it still looks like shit" rather than "WHY ARE THEY FUCKING DOING THIS TO US, WHAT DID WE EVER DO TO THEM ASIDE FROM ASK FOR DECENT FUCKING GAMES"

As for the lack of Samus, yeah, that's pretty damning for a series that has revolved against her from the beginning, and for a game that uses her franchise's name. Honestly there are so many factors to take into account regarding FedFor's reception. For instance, let's example a potential timeline where Other M did not exist. This game came out... 4 years after Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Instead of the chibi aesthetic, it had regular-sized dudes. Instead of calling it Metroid Prime: Federation Force (which is kind of a shit subtitle anyhow) it was named... Galactic Federation Forces.

In this example, not only has it not directly followed one of the worst games in the series, its aesthetic does not betray the series' roots and it abandons the Metroid name altogether, allowing for some leeway for it to be its own thing. There's no way that reception of it would have been anywhere near as critical. It's even possible that it might have received somewhat limited positive reception in "Will this be a new series to exist alongside Metroid+Samus?"

Even worse is, if the game played better than it does, it might have recovered. But even in a vacuum, it doesn't.
>>
>>377630340
Prime and Zero are linear. Abusing some bugs and techniques (specially Prime ntsc version) doesn't mean the game is less linear.

You need to get a lot of things in a strict order if you want to progress while Super is more lax in that regard.
>>
>>377618601
Nintendo EPD7
>>
>>377630492
>as opposed to the more muted or darker colours we're generally used to
>>
>>377630340
Can you really call games nonlinear if you need to rely on exploits and glitches to explore?

Not trolling here, I think this is a genuinely interesting question. You could argue a degree of death of the author (developer, whatever), but since the vast majority of players wont know about these things unless they look them up I think that at least somewhat mitigates how much choice and freedom a player will have in the game.

If you could clip through boundaries in AM2R and get to areas early, would it be a better game for it? I think it's position as a fangane would end in this being seen as glitchy and amateurish rather than praised, though personally I think it's better to view the game as just a game and not really take it's origins into account.
>>
>>377630948
I miss how colorful the 2D games were before the Prime series went all gritty and shit.
>>
>>377630880
>Zero
>Linear
Hmm, no, not really. It definitely has an intended path of progression, and certainly a far stronger one than Super had, but it's got dozens of ways to break out of that progression in ways that are very clearly intentional, so they couldn't even really be called abuse.

FUSION is Linear with a capital L.
>>
>>377630962
>If you could clip through boundaries in AM2R and get to areas early
>if
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqcLZlFs4lc
>>
>>377630948
I'm not really seeing anything that disagrees with me in that. Outside of the UI elements at the top, the environment is a very pale pink transitioning into a dark, pale indigo. There's a lot of grey. Samus and the enemy are more vibrant to give contrast against the background but even then they didn't go full eye-burning neon like Other M did.

How many colours are present isn't really an argument against how those colours are used and presented.
>>
File: 1386887076205.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1386887076205.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>377631097
I fail to see how the Prime games look significantly different from their 2D counterparts.
>>
>>377630948
Yes, that is indeed a screenshot with some very muted purples.
>>
>>377630962
>>377630880

Sequence Breaking in Super and ZM is completely intentional and not founded on bugs at all.

In Super, you have mini-tutorials teaching you to use the hidden abilities that you need to use in order to sequence break.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6AL3Vml40s
In Zero Mission, you have whole rooms such as this section of Norfair which exists to allow you to sequence break, and other hidden blocks which exist to make sure you don't softlock when sequence breaking.

With Prime, you have a point. The sequence breaking there may be organic but it's unintentional. But Super and ZM have unambiguously intentional sequence breaking, and Super actually directs you to sequence break.

>If you could clip through boundaries in AM2R and get to areas early, would it be a better game for it? I think it's position as a fangane would end in this being seen as glitchy and amateurish rather than praised, though personally I think it's better to view the game as just a game and not really take it's origins into account.
The world design is not conducive to this. Super and Prime, and to a lesser extent ZM, have a very interconnected and cohesive world that rewards quickly moving from place to place. AM2R, as far as world design goes, is a sequence of zones with no fast way to return or advantage to doing so. Furthermore, the granular level design does not account for your current powerup state in nearly as drastic a way. In such a world sequence breaking has little point.
>>
File: corrupted.jpg (160KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
corrupted.jpg
160KB, 680x680px
I legitimately enjoy the original Metroid II and I think it's a shame that people act like it's irrelevant because of a fanmade remake that sucks the soul and atmosphere out of it and makes it way overblown, stuffed with clutter and things that Nintendo would never do an official game. Things like the mandatory Prime-like scanning in a 2D game and the blatantly fanfiction-y boss fight of the multi-phase Chozo statue (I think that's what it was at least) that grows robotic wings and flies around. I can't put my finger on it but it was definitely something that didn't feel Nintendo.

There's also something highly disingenuine about AM2R when the creator went on record saying that he didn't make it out of a love for the original but because he wanted to make a "good version" of it. It's just very disrespectful and cocky. All Metroid II really needed were a few tweaks and polishes for some archaic gameplay choices - for instance, make random item and missile drops way more common. AM2R drowned the spirit of the original and it eats me up that people think the original is unnecessary now.
>>
File: Metroid-ZeroMission-Norfair.png (67KB, 449x260px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid-ZeroMission-Norfair.png
67KB, 449x260px
>>377631653

Forgot to post the pic. This secret only exists to let you fight Ridley straight after getting the Ice Beam.
And a further set of hidden missile blocks allows you to escape from Ridley without having the Speed Booster.
>>
>>377631653
>In Super, you have mini-tutorials teaching you to use the hidden abilities that you need to use in order to sequence break.
No, you have mini-tutorials teaching you to use the hidden abilities to get to areas you can't get to otherwise.
Sequence breaking wasn't intended in Super and is mostly a consequence of how the map was put together: it was just kinda pieced together near the end of development with no real time to test it for the shit players managed to get out of it later.
>>
>>377623984
Super Metroid is linear as fuck dude.

>>377622212
>>
>>377631689

Metroid II definitely stands out from the rest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCIH943auRA
This is basically the only good music you're treated to in the whole game. Everything else is abstract beeps and bloops or 5 second loops.

The logbook system isn't an issue IMO. A message pops up in the corner and you can ignore it until it goes away.

Having bosses which aren't Metroids was a good idea, but you're right that they were largely lame.

I think I ought to play Metroid 2 again some time.

>>377631923

>No, you have mini-tutorials teaching you to use the hidden abilities to get to areas you can't get to otherwise.
There are no areas that can be reached with the wall jump that cannot be reached with the space jump.
The sole utility of the wall jump is to reach places early.
>>
>>377631483
Your image shows the difference this image >>377630948 bright vibrant colors. and the one in your post just shows orange and blue, the bloom doesn't help.
>>
>>377631653
That's not a hidden ability, nor is it intended to teach you sequence breaking. It's a "If you were too stupid to figure this out earlier, you can jump off walls" area.

Doesn't mean sequence breaking wasn't intended - it's just stupid to include it as proof when it clearly has nothing to do with the subject.
>>
>>377632418

Wall jumping is never required to beat the game according to the intended path.
The sole purpose of the wall jump is to break out of that path.
>>
>>377632418
Wall Jumping and Shinesparking were hidden abilities, though.
>>
File: Money_for_Nothing_Music_Video.jpg (12KB, 365x273px) Image search: [Google]
Money_for_Nothing_Music_Video.jpg
12KB, 365x273px
>>377614261
>Dire Straits
Could Samus beat these two?
>>
File: bat.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
bat.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
Post yfw Nintendo finally reveals a new Metroid game at E3 and it's their own Metroid II remake.
>>
>>377632418

>That's not a hidden ability
Even Fusion acknowledges the wall jump and shinesprk as abilities Samus "didn't even knew she had".
>>
>>377622107
>doesn't stand up to Prime but is better than Super

You DO know that the entire Prime series is terrible, right? It's the worst gameplay in the whole series, and the only reason they aren't the worst games is because Other M and Federation Force shit on the story so hard they were unplayable.

tl;dr - Pick one and only one:
>first person
>good metroid game
>>
>>377632746
how about neither
>>
>>377632746

piss off purist
>>
>>377632746
>pay attention to me i want to shitpost and derail the discussion god damn it my mother beats me every day love meeeeeeeeee
>>
>>377632746
I pick >all of the above
>>
>>377631689

Metroid 2 aged like milk in the sun and the only thing it did okay is irrelevant to the game's quality itself cause it was a watered down handheld sequel. Your complete non-argument of "MUH SOUL AND MUH SPIRIT" is as valid as a puddle and half as deep. You're not saying anything.

That and the Samu's ship sprite, which was insanely good.

The guy behind AM2R was absolutely right when he set out to make a version that's not just digestible but actually good.
>>
>>377628405
>the lack of your precious female protagonist
Nintendo incorrectly interpreted this as being the reason for the backlash and made what might have been a reasonable game irredeemably shitty by shoehorning her in for no fucking reason.
>>
>>377631689
Having actually played the original, you're full of shit. It was clunky, slow, and thoroughly unenjoyable in many respects, and to this day remains one of the most unenjoyable Metroid games I've ever played. It even beats out OTHER FUCKING M, but at least that was fluid and, story aside, wasn't complete shit. The few things that 2 did right were either translated wholesale into AM2R, or further improved. The many things that 2 did wrong were overhauled, and the game ended up feeling quite a bit better as a result.

>mandatory Prime-like scanning
You are misrepresenting what it is. While it is mandatory, and it is scanning, it's also automatic, and is something you as the player can completely ignore. It's more like D44M's lore books than "Prime-like" which is good, because it adds more to the game without forcing clunky and flow-stopping mechanics on you or significantly cluttering the game up.

The Torizo was a very welcome addition to the game. Even if the jet wings were a little silly, it broke up the horrible monotony of only hunting down Metroids in the early game and any other enemies just being filler until you reach them and ultimately I didn't think it felt any more out of place than any Fusion boss.

Your wording gives you away that you're trying to make him sound worse than he actually is. Just because he didn't make it out of love for the original doesn't mean there was no love for the original, just that it was not the primary motivation. And in a series full of really great games, it was certainly one of the biggest blemishes the series had. Does he really need to remake the game out of love for this game in particular? Why can't he do it out of love for the series as a whole?
>>
>>377633019
>aged like milk in the sun
I don't know dude, my copy's still good. Yours went bad or something? Mine still plays just like it did 25 years ago. In fact emulators play it pretty much the same too. If something's wrong with yours, you might want to try that.
>>
>>377633283

>getting all autistic about a commonly understood figure of speech.
Standards were lower back then.
>>
>>377618601

From Software
iD Software

Maybe even Heart Machine
>>
>>377633207
>>377631689
I have no love for the original any more than... doctor... whatever the fuck his name was. Doctor something. Had. And I don't think that's wrong, because the original Metroid 2 was a steaming pile of shit and was a rather aggressive blemish on the series' legacy, and aged far worse than the original metroid did. The original M2's potential was squandered behind monotonous level design, homogeneous enemy encounters, and plodding ability usage (spider ball was a fucking mistake), which made it all the more disappointing when I played it. Like, people used to give Fusion shit for its linearity before Other M came out, but holy fuck were they looking the wrong direction.
>>
>>377630492
>Donkey Kong's fanbase has never been as large as Metroid's fanbase

Compare the sales to DKC and Super Metroid.

Fuck off. Metroid doesn't HAVE a 'fanbase.' It has a group of people who obsess over the fact that Samus is a woman.
>>
>>377633395

>and aged far worse than the original metroid did
Metroid II doesn't spawn you with 30 health every time you start a game. For all of the flaws of Metroid II it's at least an improvement over 1.
>>
>>377630492
>It's never had lore, or mystery, or any significant amount of characterization really.
Diddy went from being a sidekick to his own hero and being on equal terms with DK, Wrinkly was alive in 2/3 and died afterwards leading to 64 and King K. Rool has gone from wanting to starve the Kongs to threatening to destroy the world, gradually going for a bigger goal with each game.
>>
>>377633428
>I'll generalize something so I can keep attacking it because I hate it! Why should I actually think and be reasonable or intelligent, all you care about is titties because I said so!

Are you going to grow up and start talking like an adult anytime soon?
>>
>>377633749

He won't stop shitposting as long as you keep feeding him.
>>
>>377633505
One step forward and two steps back, my dude.

>>377633428
That is... alright, admittedly pretty convincing. I suppose I haven't looked outside of my bubble much. Donkey Kong always just felt kind of shallow to me and it's always boggled my mind why people seemed to show any level of excitement for it. Clearly it's got greater appeal than I understand.

Still, saying that Metroid doesn't have a fanbase, and boiling them down to that one quality like that is being more than a little disingenuous.
>>
>>377633395
>shitting on the Spider Ball
I can't give a damn about any other criticism you may throw at the game, but faulting its best aspect is inexcusable. It's the single most important ability that made the big open spaces work, and I had hours of fun rolling into all the nooks and crannies I could and occasionally finding a legit secret. You fucking wish spider ball was in more Metroid games, it would instantly alleviate them to a whole new level (except maybe Super since it has a fuckton of cool secrets already).
>>
>>377634039

I disagree.

I don't know how you can complain about monotonous level design when Metroid 1 has a pathetically tiny world and still copypastes 1/3rd of it.
>>
>>377632627
This is the only thing I can think of Nintendo doing in regard to Metroid that would piss off people more than Federation Force did.
>>
>>377632009

You can beat all the bosses in super metroid in reverse order, its the very opposite of linear.
>>
>>377634310
What's that? You don't like vertical corridors with three-block-wide platforms and one of three variations of "crawling enemy" with maybe some rippers?
>>
>>377634467

You need to have god skills to make it work though. I traversed the whole world to get enough powerups, scavenging for extra missile tanks to Crystal Flash with, and still couldn't get enough stuff to beat Ridley without the Varia Suit.
>>
>>377634467
by abusing glitches to get to areas in reverse order
>>
>>377634598

I prefer lava-pitted hallways with three-block-wide platforms and one of three variations of crawling enemy + rippers.
>>
>>377634663

The only glitch you need in such a run is the one to reach Botwoon.

It's perfectly legit to fight Ridley before any of the other bosses.
>>
>>377631689
now look here. I heavily disagree with you for multiple reasons. Firstly though, I want to say that Metroid II was the LAST game I played to complete my adventure through the franchise and I fucking love that game. probably one of my top favorites. That doesn't excuse it from a massive amount of glaring flaws and issues. Whether the guy who made AM2R said so or not, it seems obvious to me he put some level of love into it. you don't do something like this and spend TEN YEARS on it.

You and I might love Metroid 2 butmost everyone thinks the game is not that great and have issues overlooking those massive flaws. That is why the remake is important. It introduces a lot of things that many people would outright ignore story wise because they couldnt get into it. Not to mention that Metroid 2 is a tad important if you care at all about the lore of the series.
>>
>>377634195
The problem with the Spider Ball isn't so much its function, which admittedly is quite novel and enjoyable... in limited quantities, but rather its SPEED, and how its presence affects level design and environmental puzzling.

There's also that the Spider Ball can too easily break a good deal of any game that isn't built around the ability. It's got a handful of limited environmental navigation puzzles which can be neat, but it demands of level design certain qualities that directly contrast with something like Shinespark due to how their utilities overlap (covering distances you wouldn't normally be able to cross) but one can straight up ignore the entire puzzle unless you put spikes fucking everywhere (which is ugly and clunky as fuck) and more often than not demands large rooms to take proper advantage of it.

If Shinespark didn't exist, and we got a far faster spider ball that could have more jumping and aiming power, we could potentially have something pretty cool, but again the level design would either have to have spikes or enemies everywhere to deter you (thus slowing you down and making it less enjoyable), or arbitrarily create walls that you couldn't stick to for some reason to enforce certain methods of passage, which ends up creating the Prime-like dilemma where Spider Ball can only be used in a limited number of areas, where in contrast Shinespark can be used pretty much anywhere but it just doesn't shine as much in some areas than others.
>>
File: ss+(2017-05-21+at+01.37.18).png (83KB, 1393x815px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-05-21+at+01.37.18).png
83KB, 1393x815px
>>377634720
Now, don't be mean. Sometimes they got creative, check out THIS chunk of level!
>>
>>377634360
>>377632627
YFW reveals that it's actually just AM2R but now you can pay 10 bucks to play it on your Switch.
>>
>>377635323

I'll just play it on my Vita
>>
>>377635323
Nintendo will never, ever do something so nice to its fans.
>>
>>377632746
fags like you are part of why these threads are shit now.

I'm not even going to bother giving you a true response because nobody is going to falll for your shit (because most of them are too busy arguing about other stupid shit).

I think Federation force's story was ok though and if it leads to a good metroid game,
I think people will come around and it will end up becoming a rare game. Regardless though,
I have a copy for collection purposes.
>>
>>377635516
>take a free game
>take it down
>make you pay money for it
>nice

Oh, and Treehouse will inject loads of memes into its scans.
>>
>>377635676
It would be acknowledging fan work and letting fans make officially licensed products for them, which is something Nintendo never does.
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.