[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw I fell for the "skip RE1 and play REmake" meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 098235726.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
098235726.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>mfw I fell for the "skip RE1 and play REmake" meme

Thank God for the knowledgeable anons who set me straight in other threads. I finally started playing the PSX original and it's incredible how much more tense of an experience it is, yet somehow one that keeps an engrossing flow of progression that begs to be played for extended periods at a time. I admire that it isn't afraid to make you think you're fucked by gridlocking you between two enemies in a cramped corridor, or get stingy with health and save pickups. (I would also say ammo, but that started to be plentiful after I got the shotgun.) The remake gives these out like candy by comparison. I've just gotten to the residence and I look forward to hunters wrecking my shit pretty soon.

Resident Evil thread
>>
>>377586538
You'll find that a lot of old games people tell you to skip are actually a lot better than they make it out to be

RE1 and Dual Shock edition are both amazing games, and REmake is only good because it had that as a foundation and could just add more.

Level design is something people don't talk about a lot, and the early RE games had significantly more time put into that than the ones which came later.

It's also one of the hardest things to give resources to correctly, but the pre-rendered backgrounds let them pretty much do whatever from point A to point B.

When graphics got better, the limitations of gameplay actually became a more serious issue, because everything has to be accomodated. That's why linear maps with a lot of pretty things became the way most games work.

Honestly just want things to go back to basics.
>>
>>377586796
Something that keeps catching me off guard is how much more alert the zombies in this seem. I mean, they're really not, AI-wise, but it seems like they rely a lot less on successfully executing a lunge maneuver and can just head bite you for brushing too close. It's especially noticeable when trying to pass one from behind; in, say, RE2, they'll do a canned animation where they pivot 180 degrees to grab you. But here, they'll just rotate to align with you and grab you instantly if you're close enough. I get flashbacks of anticipating Zangief SPDs whenever I try to gun it past one.
>>
How's the PC version of REmake? Had the game on gamecube before but I want to try it again.
>>
>>377586538
It's all opinion, so you're just as well to form your own.

I love both the original and REmake for different reasons.

Original is cheesy and camp, and I don't mean that as a slight in the least. REmake tries to ground it and make it a little more "gritty" for lack of a better word.

If I had to choose though, I would choose the original. I started Vidya in the PS1 era, so those blocky graphics and bad acting brings me right back to that time.
>>
>>377586538
I don't think either version should be skipped, but if you are even suggesting the original is a better game, you're probably some consolewarring fanboy salty about platform exclusivity.
>>
>>377587304
I don't mean to suggest there's anything really bad about REmake. And I'm almost certainly a little biased by my excitement at finally discovering for myself what merits RE1 has. If there's any vitriol in my post, it's meant for the people who have parroted on this board that the PSX one is worth skipping and to just play REmake. They're both good and fairly unique from each other.
>>
>>377587078
So one of the things we did to efficiently play classic RE back in the day is use the increased speed you get from backing away near an enemy to bait their lunge, then you run forward while they're in recovery frames.

REmake expects you to know this system and it's almost impossible to play it without sometimes leaving entire rooms of zombies alive until you've gained more ammo. The secondary weapon system is the casual crutch form of this, where you're not good enough at dodging but can still knock something down without damage.

Another thing is that there's a just frame input in every classic RE's weapon firing system, where if you tap R1 at the right moment for each weapon, you shave a second or two off the firing speed. You can rapid fire the handgun this way.

I'll always miss those intentional glitches
>>
Will post this than read the thread:
Loved both but I still prefer RE1's mansion, there's something eerie about it including lack of objects in some rooms. Amazing games and I should replay then even though finished both this year, don't feel like playing RE0 or Code Veronica and yes I finished 2 and 3 too which were fucking good but 1 draws me the most.
>>
>>377587596
RE1 is certainly not to be skipped, I'll agree on that. Especially as it leads more naturally into PS1 era RE2, and RE3, which are both fucking great.

RE3 is maybe a bit more action focused, but I still love it.

...and Dino Crisis. God I love the first Dino Crisis. It's Resident Evil, but with fucking dinosaurs. What's not to love?
>>
>>377587876
I wasn't sure if it was my imagination when backing away seemed especially fast. My knockoff 360 controller is having a problem with a right bumper that doesn't register sometimes, and when I absent mindedly backed away at an angle when my shotgun animation was MIA, I practically kited the guy without meaning to. I'll keep that in mind.

That said, I do remember using a trick like this in my RE2 playthroughs, but something about the zombies here make me extra nervous. It's probably just my childhood memories of seeing this game for the first time and being scared shitless. (I was 8 or 9)
>>
>>377588182
RE1 zombies and monsters in general are threats until you get a magnum. RE2 has a lot of pre-set zombie gauntlets designed for bob-and-weaving, especially on the first level, so it's a little different.

But yeah, RE1 and 2, look at your characters backing away without enemies on-screen and then note their unique animations when around enemies. Neat feature a lot of people don't notice.

This isn't as important in RE2 where zombies are the least of your worries, but it was a powerful tool in RE1.
>>
>>377587876
Hold the fuck up! You can dodge zombies in RE1? WHAT? I tried the backing thing like REmake and didn't work same as edgying in a corner so I could go around, worked a few times but most of the time they'd get me, always got bitten in tight corridors.
Fuck
>>
>>377588540
You bait them by going into their lunge range, and the higher speed from the backing away animation makes you not get caught. It takes practice to find the sweet spot, but once you know, you just do that and can run past them while they're still in the animations.

This only works sometimes though. The other way to do it is to back away and control their trajectory so it leans towards the opposite direction, then run past. RE1's AI is unpredictable, part of the reason it's creepy.
>>
>>377586796
Watching a longplay of RE7 now for curiosity's sake and I can definitely see what you mean. One of my favorite things about RE1, either version, is how the environments seem almost like a character unto themselves. They set a very dramatic mood without the need for a lot of character interaction or much of a plot backdrop. A lot of games nowadays seem more driven by one-off action sequences that set up for the next puzzle room or level or whatever, just to keep that pattern going.
>>
>>377589812
...though, seeing it develop, it looks like it starts to get more open and more closely resemble other games in the series. I guess it's just the opening segments that are so railroaded and action packed.

Kinda starting to wish I had something to play this on now.
>>
>>377590654
RE7 is a problem. It has a lot of what made the series good, but they buried it under a lot of really terrible shit.

It could actually be good, but it falls flat in a lot of areas that the originals don't. Don't feel too bad about not having something to play it on, it is nowhere near worth full retail price.
>>
File: 1488133072041.jpg (274KB, 700x678px) Image search: [Google]
1488133072041.jpg
274KB, 700x678px
>>377589812
The environment hasn't felt like it was a character in RE since RE Zero to me.
I love RE4 but I besides the village I felt like the world didn't tell much of a story to me.
RE7 brought that feeling back of seeing a house where people lived and understand what happened just through the environment alone.
I hope to god Capcom makes more games like RE7 I need more games like this.
>>
>>377590759
lol yeah, it figures that right after I said that, it goes right into a scripted hide and seek stealth sequence

It has really impressive character animation tho
>>
>>377590896
RE4 stands out to me for just how expertly it uses its environments as a string of setpieces. It's the opposite of what the earlier games do, but it does it really, REALLY well.
>>
>>377590759
Will have to agree to disagree but I felt like RE7 was as true to classics as possible minus the fixed cameras it was what I wanted in a modern RE title it does have flaws but I feel the positives outweigh the negatives.
>>
File: 1487791850721.gif (610KB, 598x444px) Image search: [Google]
1487791850721.gif
610KB, 598x444px
>>377590934
There's only one or two seek stealth sequence in the whole game my man.
Once you get a gun your free to blast away anything that gets in your way and its more true to classic RE where item haunting and ammo conservation are the bread and butter of RE 7.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.