[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"good" products clearly don't sell in a niche

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_6976.jpg (15KB, 175x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6976.jpg
15KB, 175x250px
"good" products clearly don't sell in a niche environment because of high production costs and small audience. Boycotting a company that's willing to publish it doesn't help anyone. And my argument wasn't specifically for Prey but for every studio that failed commercially because fucks like you dont want to compromise

Voting with your wallet is ok, but if you don't buy a game because of DRM or framerate or whatever you're just a cunt
>>
>>377553415
>if you don't buy a game because of DRM or framerate or whatever you're just a cunt
What are you gonna do about it, huh?
>>
>>377553415
the game suck Todd
>>
DRM and Frame-rate are both a part of the product being purchased. If you wanna "vote with your wallet," then you need to consider these factors as well. Conceding because "I like the game" means you're also signing off that "This DRM and shitty frame-rate are acceptable."
>>
PC gamers were a mistake.
>>
I'm not going to compromise because companies want to release subpar products.

That's not a compromise. They have to give me something in return for it to be a compromise.
>>
>>377553765
I hate buying games on day 1 but unfortunately games are expensive to make and first week sales are what matters. I hate a lot of stuff Bethesda does, but I like Arkane. Do they deserve to fail like Looking Glass, Ion Storm, Troika etc? None of them deserved to fail but unfortunately the industry is shit. /v/ usually screams about games being dumbed down but the truth is, no one buys those more complex hardcore games and it's very selfish of the "hardcore crowd" to be like that.
>>
>>377553908
>>377553765
>>377553515
yeah dont buy anything and then cry that games are getting shittier. It's not a fucking charity you cunt.
>>
>>377553415
>if you don't buy a game because of DRM or framate or whatever you're just a cunt
Fuck off you insufferable faggot. I bought the game, but you have no right to tell others to do so. it's their choice if the product they purchase fits their wants and needs, plain old capitalism, and you can't force someone to buy something they don't like for xyz reasons.
>>
>>377554019
>It's not a fucking charity you cunt.

You're right, my wallet isn't a charity for shitty companies to take from.
>>
>>377554026
>I'm glad a great game failed because of my irrational hateboner for the publisher and nitpicking over irrelevant shit
>I'm glad that any publisher is less likely to make more of said good games because of that
Are you by any chance literally retarded?
>>
Games were better when they were lower budget anyways. Fuck companies that can't be bothered to implement basic things like 60 fps. They deserve to fail.
>>
>>377553938
>Comparing Arkane to Looking Glass
>>
>>377554072
>>377554301
Good job lads, you've made sure the only games any publisher will put out in the future are MOBAs and walking simulators
>>
>>377554375

Yeah just like in the 90s right?

Fucking retard.
>>
>>377554375
This is quite possibly the dumbest line of reasoning I have ever seen on 4chan. Congratulations.
>>
>>377554402
The late 90s/early 2000s were not the fucking pinnacle of video games like you fucks think and not everything new is cancer. What is wrong with using old school gameplay (a good thing) and adding good graphics, better UI, etc? You're literally just hipsters and nothing else
>>
>>377554524
>The late 90s/early 2000s were not the fucking pinnacle of video games

Lmfao way to miss the point buddy.
>>
>Being happy that one of the best games in recent years flopped.

And many replies are from people that didn't buy it for stupid reasons or because they have bad tastes in video games, and some still don't know what kind of game this is.

Bethesda did a really bad job when marketing this game, sure, but this place has really become a shithole.
>>
>>377554375

Witcher series did fine without. You do anti-consumer shit you pay for it. Simple as that.
>>
>>377554221
are you? it's not irrelevant if the person goes out of their way to boycott buying the game. You can whine all you want that a developer or publisher won't make the game you like, but that's just the way the market works. I have no hateboner for any developer or publisher, I buy or do not buy games based solely on their quality. If someone's parameter for quality is DRM or Framerate, you have no right to complain you self-entitled brainlet
>>
Prey was a good looking game but jesus christ is the gameplay shit.
>>
>>377554512
Explain why I'm wrong.
>>
>>377554618
The entire foundation of your butthurt is that this was a good game that people didn't buy because it didn't meet technical requirements or had invasive/shitty DRM.

Sounds like it wasn't a good game. People want X out of a game, and if the game doesn't deliver X, they won't buy it. It's that simple.
>>
>>377554593
>XD
>It's shit!
>Lmfao
You never had any point
>>
So is this entire thread just one guy really salty that a shitty game flopped?
>>
File: received_10207110123899587.jpg (34KB, 620x521px) Image search: [Google]
received_10207110123899587.jpg
34KB, 620x521px
>>377553415
do you work for arcane annon?
its okay i actually like you game and talk it up where i work
>>
>>377554704
People should not be forced to buy games based on any opinion but their own. If someone puts importance into no DRM or 60 fps, that's their jam. As much as publishers and developers are shit on here, they're not so fucking retarded as to assume that they didn't reach X sales purely because the game wasn't good, they know that people with different beats exist. You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>377554897
>its okay i actually like you game and talk it up where i work

At Gamestop

>>377554834
Yes
>>
>>377553415
The combat is fucking awful in this game. Same type of enemies that can move much faster and have more flexibility than you. The guns are shit and unsatisfying to use.
>hey guyz let's bring back old school shit like system shock
And it failed miserably
>>
>>377554834
/v/ hates it because Arkane (popular) and Bethesda (super popular). It's a genuinely great game and Every other argument against it was completely false and misinformed
>>
>>377553415
sorry OP but anything below 60 fps is trash

and as far as DRM goes ubisoft and EA's is pure cancer.

Keep eating shit I guess
>>
>>377555031

This sounds like something I'd read from a conservative talking about Trump
>>
File: 1483983659326.png (366KB, 600x726px) Image search: [Google]
1483983659326.png
366KB, 600x726px
>>377555031
>/v/ hates it because arkane(popular) and Bethesda (super popular)
Come on lad, I liked the game and you're being ridiculous. The game has plenty of glaring faults, definitely not something everyone could enjoy. That's more likely why it failed+ no marketing than your made-up mass boycott
>>
>>377555031
>literally dismissing all criticism with 'you just hate it cause it's popular' bullshit
What a shit thread.
>>
File: received_1219973141358887.jpg (22KB, 427x486px) Image search: [Google]
received_1219973141358887.jpg
22KB, 427x486px
>>377554992
yeah actually it sucks
>>
>>377555202
Lying isn't criticism
>>377555189
Are we going to pretend /v/ doesn't hate Bethesda and isn't contrarian against popular games? I think it did fine and Arkane certainly won't stop making games.
Also, the people gloating are usually just the same 3-4 guys posting over and over in this thread for the last couple of hours
>>
File: 1491893411724.jpg (367KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1491893411724.jpg
367KB, 1500x1500px
>>377553415
this game is pretty cool, you guys should buy while you still can!
>>
>>377555467
Hey, have we met somewhere before...?
>>
Can't understand why OP is so butthurt. Good "old-school" games generally get published via crowdfunding.

Just look at Cyan's Obduction. System Shock is getting remastered and even Ultima Underworld is getting a reboot.
>>
I just dont get what publishers see in denuvo.
How many non drm copies of games has bethesda put out last decade? 30million?
Why do they suddenly believe denuvo will positively impact their sales?
>>
>>377554524
>this guy shooting good points all around and really making /v/ think

Keep it up senpai
>>
>>377555563
Indie development is still somewhat primitive, it takes a lot of time to make even small platformers, let alone RPGs and more complex stuff
>>
Was on the fence about whether to wait for a sale to buy prey. After seeing the edgy fags shit on it for muh DRM and muh niche expectations, I now plan to buy it full price just to support the devs.
>>
>>377554909
Maybe it's just not a good game to you? As long as someone enjoys it, it's a good game to that person regardless of your autistic nitpicking over FPS and DRM. What really matters is that it's successful it is for the people that made it. At the end of the day they make a profit and laid the foundation for a sequel? People forget this is a business, not a charity you cunt.
>>
>>377555462
Not all criticism against things you like are automatically lies.
>>
I don't care because they turned an awesome looking sci fi bounty hunting game into a super generic fps.
>>
>>377555726
No one's even arguing that it is a charity or that devs should be working for free. What the fuck are you even going on about?
>>
>>377553415
>if you don't buy a game because of DRM or framerate or whatever you're just a cunt
DRM treats me like a criminal for spending money and limits modding. Framerate can break a game if its too load and requires any sort of speed in play.

So yes I won't buy your shit if you are an asshole just like I won't buy burgers with spit in them. I also won't buy a car that has missing gears and stutters like ass.

Prey looks interesting enough its on my radar, but it seems a tad Bioshock, which I thought was boring as fuck. However, Bioshock was a tad System Shock which was awesome so maybe it came around on this one.
>>
>>377555814
fucking this. what a waste for a shitty bioshock clone
>>
drm and fps are a non issue for me.

there is simply literally no point in buying video games on day one for sixty dollars when you can just wait a week or a month and get them for half that depending on the game. in prey's case it dropped to ~$45 almost instantly.
>>
>>377553415

>DRM

modern DRM is intrusive, burns up processing power and SSD drives

>Frames

not as important as some people make it out to be, but framerates can be an indication of how well tuned the game is using resources available to it, and as such, shows higher quality of programming. there's also instances, for example, of one gfx company getting drivers that remove, say, 1000s of triangles from a game, that another gfx card would try to render and as such would lower performance
>>
File: TODDETTE.png (634KB, 631x665px) Image search: [Google]
TODDETTE.png
634KB, 631x665px
>>377555513
a-are you hitting on me anon?
>>
>>377555883
>>377556007
Just pointing out that what makes a game good or bad is subjective and that all that matters in the grand scheme of the industry is financial success. Sorry you allowed yourself to convince yourself that your opinions on DRM and FPS are facts when they aren't.
>>
I am willing to buy this shit, tell me why I should and why I should not.
>>
>>377555978
I hate buying games on day 1 but unfortunately games are expensive to make and first week sales are what matters /v/ usually screams about games being dumbed down but the truth is, no one buys those more complex hardcore games and it's very selfish of you to be like that.
>>
>>377556029
do you have any games I could buy? I'd do that for you.
>>
>>377556120
>DRM and FPS are facts when they aren't.
They aren't facts, they're preferences, just like all the other anons in this thread have been trying to drill into your retarded, flat fucking skull. You can whinge all day about people preferring to have certain standards in terms of DRM and framerate but they still are entitled to have those standards if they want.

>Just pointing out that what makes a game good or bad is subjective and that all that matters in the grand scheme of the industry is financial success.
No shit Sherlock, did you figure that out all on your own? This industry has been going for 3 decades, people already know that. And if you're going to argue about how anons around here spout their opinions as fact, I can only hope that, one day, you'll learn the difference between legitimate criticisms and regular shitposting.
>>
File: i got nothing but time.jpg (40KB, 517x354px) Image search: [Google]
i got nothing but time.jpg
40KB, 517x354px
>implying i give a fuck about drm because i always wait for the sub $20 aio edition of every game #patientgamer
>>
>>377555026
>Same type of enemies that can move much faster and have more flexibility than you. The guns are shit and unsatisfying to use.
>Mommy it's haaaaard!
Survival game. You're not supposed to feel like Duke Nukem.
>>
>>377556529
yeah dont compromise and then cry that games are getting shittier. It's not a fucking charity you cunt.
>>
>>377556726
If you don't buy games at launch then the only games any publisher will put out in the future are MOBAs and walking simulators
>>
>>377556932
Yeah, it's not a fucking charity. Devs aren't entitled to the money in my wallet unless they put out something that I want to buy. The same goes for everyone else too, it's an industry, not a charity. Why are you contradicting your own statement?
>>
>>377553415

> DRM

Agree. Who gives a shit.

> frame rate

This is a legitimate concern for me in most games. I'm pretty much done playing games that play below 30 FPS on consoles, or are extremely poorly optimized on PC.
>>
>>377557027
>if you don't buy shitty games now, you won't have good games in the future
lel
>>
>>377553415
I don't buy games cause I'm a poorfag
vidya companies can't take my money if I don't have any
>>
>>377557996
Then get a job to enjoy the content you consume
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.