[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people here so apposed to the idea of videos games as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: Story-cover-image.jpg (186KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Story-cover-image.jpg
186KB, 1920x1080px
Why are people here so apposed to the idea of videos games as art or telling great stories though the video game medium?

>Hurr all video games should have stoopid stories and cater to me muh gameplay muh gameplay they should all be the same!

This is what you sound like when you try to argue against it.
>>
>>377542331
opposed even
>>
>>377542331
Because, so far, the stories they have told are garbage, and the people who care about vidya being art are all indie hipsters?
>>
they aren't. people here praise metal gear and even say that mgs4 is better than phantom pain because "it has a complete story"
>>
>>377542981
That's why i'm happy MGS is dead.
Hyped to see MG Survive piss all over its grave.
>>
Because every single time, without fail, a story heavy game becomes nothing more than emotional and narrative masturbation to the author, while the devs screw around and don't do their job. So as a result, we get terrible gameplay. And in a gameplay medium, that will not be tolerated. It shouldn't be tolerated.
>>
File: RdLqtdr.jpg (111KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RdLqtdr.jpg
111KB, 1920x1080px
>>377542981
MGS4 is better than Phantom Pain though.
>>
>>377542331
i don't care. i enjoy most games if they aren't shit. let america do their stories. let japan do their gameplay and nonsensical stories. idc, i enjoy both. if you dont, more power to me.
>>
>>377543549
Haha mgs4 better than anything haha good one
>>
File: power of ps4.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
power of ps4.webm
3MB, 640x480px
Uncharted is a shitty boring game though.

At least post TLoU which has undeniably good writing and character development.
>>
>>377542331
I'm not against it. I just don't think every game should be a cinematic experience. Just like I think not every game should have bare bones stories. But gamers are all about them ultimatums. It has to be either one with them. Both can't exist for some reason.
>>
>>377542331
>telling great stories though the video game medium?
Because video games are a shit medium for telling stories. Video games are full of distractions that other mediums dont have. You dont see inventory tetris, tedious shooting sequences to make the game longer or arbitrary collectibles in books or movies.

If you make a game in which every single thing attributes to the story, then you get something going. Nier: Automata comes actually pretty close by the way it incorporates even the UI into the world and story.

Also >>377543171
This. Video games are still about gameplay. The ultimate state of a story driven video game, is a movie. Therefore, its shit.
>>
>>377546687
Uncharted 2 is better than TLoU in every way though as a gamr. Simplistic story =/= bad story. Even UC4 is slightly better than TLoU due to more solid gameplay but I would give TLoU benefit of doubt as it's the first in the series and the first UC wasn't good neither.
>>
>>377542331
>Why are people here so apposed to the idea of videos games as art or telling great stories though the video game medium?

I'd rather play something that focuses on what makes this medium unique; gameplay. When developers try to deepen or mature their games by forcing the gameplay to take a back seat to the narrative, all you're going to end up with is a "game" that poorly imitates other forms of media.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.