[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this ever going to happen? At least release a comic or something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

Is this ever going to happen?
At least release a comic or something to finish the story Gaben you fat jew
>>
No.
>>
Yes.
>>
No. The moment has passed and the fans have moved on. No matter how good the game would have been it would never live up to the hype it has built up for many years.
>>
Vr in 4 years
>>
Did you read his AMA?
No, it's not going to happen, because Valve waits until something spontaneously happens with employee projects. Some people tried making the game, but it never gained traction and ended in nothing. And nowadays there are no people who are motivated enough to do anything in regards to this series.
>>
File: 1469028156306.jpg (31KB, 642x413px) Image search: [Google]
1469028156306.jpg
31KB, 642x413px
It won't, anon. Move on. The Valve you knew isn't around anymore.
>>
>>377515021
Did he say they're working on single player games?
>>
A game with a silent protagonist? This is 2017. Not 2007.
>>
>>377515262
Said the teams were working on whatever they felt like. iirc Valve employees can pick up or drop projects on the fly, which is part of the reason HL3 hasn't been made yet. The other reason is because it's a daunting task considering the magic around that game.

Anybody have a link to the article that describes the inner workings of Valve?
>>
never, Valve doesn't want to make games that are single player, or big games, they want smaller, multiplayer cash shop games only

It's time to move on.
>>
The cliffhanger at the end of Half-Life 2: Episode Three was annoying, but I'm not sure why anyone cares anymore. The story was never that great. The best parts were those left to our imagination (e.g., the Seven Hour War) and we've all had time to accept the fact that the storyline of the series since Half-Life 2 was written like that of the TV show Lost, i.e., with no real direction except the philosophy of keeping the audience hooked with questions instead of answers, with mystery for the sake of mystery. You were never going to find out who the G-Man was. In reality, he's the convenient "deus ex machina" plot device that ends the game by kidnapping Gordon Freeman when the writers run out of material.
>>
>>377517297
Yeah, the stories of Half-Life 1/2 were nothing special, the way they were told, storytelling was the strong point of Half-Life for anything related to story.

Also there are better games coming out than Half-Life 2, Doom 2016 was better, HL can stay dead.
>>
ITT: Kool-Aid drinkers parrot Valve marketing.

It's never going to happen. It wasn't ever going to happen in the first place, no matter what your pathetic fat god tells you. The reality of the matter is that HL3 is nowhere near as "DLC-able" as things like Dota2. They're not going to waste all that time, manpower, and budget for something that doesn't continually net them more money for years to come.
>>
>>377515262
I think he mentioned that there are non-vr game projects in the work, as well as vr titles. Don't remember if he specified if they were specifically single player.
You can find his AMA easily, it's an interesting read.
>>
>>377516746
>>377517913
>Is Valve still working on any fully-fledged single player games?
>Yes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/5omun0/gabe_newells_ama_highlights_17_jan_2017/
>>
>>377518041
>VR games
in other words, more shovelware
>>
File: baited.gif (239KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
baited.gif
239KB, 500x448px
>>377518041
>of course we're working on single player games
>we're totally not just repeating the same lie we tell you every year to keep you quiet while we make more shit cosmetic items for tf2, dota2, etc.
>i've given you so much, so why don't you give back a little my child? buy some cosmetic crap and just forget about those silly single player games
>they'll happen!
>eventually
>maybe
>soon™
>>
Why would they even make it at this point? All you autist would just think it's shit anyway
>>
>>377518365
>fully-fledged

>>377518372
>being this upset about cosmetics
Valve has the best and most fair f2p model. Prove me wrong
>>
>>377518709
I don't disagree about their f2p model, nor do I recall suggesting that it was bad. I'm just stating that the convenience and continuous monetary returns on cosmetics are why Valve is never, ever going to make single player titles again regardless of whatever lie they're feeding you this year.
>>
>>377518709
means it's going to be similar to The Lab but with 12 hours of content instead of 4

In other words, it's not Half-Life 3
>>
File: 1494200451047.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494200451047.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
Pros of releasing Half Life 3
>Increased income
Cons of releasing Half Life 3
>Hype disappointment
>Development costs
>Marketing
>Remove focus from DOTA and CSGO, the biggest Steam games
>>
>>377514020

Valve realized they could make infinity dollars with Steam and lost all interest in any game they couldn't heavily monetize with cosmetic DLC.
>>
June 12
>>
>>377515021
must be chill af to work at valve. start some project, have it funded all through steam sales, work on it at your own pace, if it gains any traction then cool if not then oh well who fucking cares since you're getting paid anyway
>>
>>377518808
>>377518818
Why would they lie? It's not like they're gaining something by doing that.
>>
The two episodes are HL3 because 2+1 = 3.
>>
>>377518826
>jenga sales decrease after 9 11
Kek
>>
>>377519183
How did he lie? Saying a fully fledged VR game doesn't mean it's Half-Life 3, you're reading too much into it. It just means "we're making a bigger VR game".
>>
>>377519175
They demand a high quality of work. They have a lot of applicants for job positions, so they can literally hand pick the best of the best.

And then there is the fact that work hierarchy is structured like high school cliques. You can be the best programmer/artist/whatever in the world, but if you don't fit in, you're fucked.

And it must be frustrating to not be able to complete any projects because no one besides you and your friends give a shit about it, and the management is too busy counting cash to actually enforce anything remotely resembling proper work ethic.
>>
>>377519315
Where did he say VR? That's a different question
>>
>>377519175
I seriously doubt it works this way. I have no doubt that their claims about working at Valve are true. I just have the feeling that what they're NOT telling you is that a rather large chunk of your income/bonus/whatever is based on how much what you produce actually sells. I get the feeling that employees really can do "whatever they want" but are heavily incentivized to work on easy projects with high returns, if for no other reason than personal greed.

So, yeah, cosmetics.

>>377519183
They don't have any reason to tell you the truth, either. What was their last game? Portal 2 back in 2011? Expect to see a couple more attempts at making a buck with VR until they learn the same lesson everyone else already has. Beyond that, expect nothing but more cosmetics.
>>
>>377519628
he said that in the AMA, that they're interested in making VR games
>>
>>377519662
Portal 2 sold over 8 million. I see no reason why they couldn't make more single player games. It's not like they're going to stop getting money from their other games.
>>
>>377519906
So? Did he say they're exclusively making VR games?
>>
>>377520050
Because no one doing any work over there has any reason to waste time doing a project like that when much quicker, easier, and consistent income paths exist via cosmetics. This is to say nothing of the fact that Valve doesn't really need Steam to do anything but keep being Steam. It has to be the largest online game marketplace in the world at this point.
>>
>>377520137
no but he clearly pointed out they wanted in the VR games market, which is something more concrete than "hey maybe they'll make HL3, r-right? p-please?"
>>
>>377520202
They don't even make cosmetics, that's mostly handled by the community now.
Putting all your eggs in one basket is not the smartest thing do and I'm sure Valve knows that.

>377520209
Nothing is concrete, that's the point.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.