[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I'm growing out of videogames. I don't have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: 13372944615836.jpg (41KB, 576x521px) Image search: [Google]
13372944615836.jpg
41KB, 576x521px
I think I'm growing out of videogames. I don't have fun in them any more. Most of the times I just get annoyed by them.

How do I reignite my passion for vidya?
>>
>>377502753
Play good games.
>>
>>377502753
While I dont know what made you fall in love with them, I could only give an example of myself.

I fell in love with the SNES/PS1 era of JRPGs, and some of the other games of that time.

By the PS2+ era, I felt the games were just 70% or less of what the prior games were.

But in reality, games took a shift.

They arent technically worse, but they arent designed like the games I liked.

(Probably because of ADD) I found the older games more interesting, solely because they never sit on anything too long, and were ever shifting, to avoid the base game mechanics from repeating too much.

Newer games are able to make more in depth base game mechanics, becoming nearly simulators. But I get bored with the base mechanics within an hour or less, and then dont see much of anything new. (Or new enough.)

To give an example of what I mean, would be FF7. Its base game is super simple. And would be the worst game ever made if made by current game design philosophy. (Though the materia system might have been made more in depth.)
But its constant changing tone, and literal mini game between every single town/boss, and lack of "pattern" to the story, (such as town > dungeon > boss > repeat) it keeps you wanting to see whats going to happen next, or at least varries up enough, that I dont get bored, even on my 19th play through. (with maybe a years time or more between play throughs, since there's not enough variety in possible endings or anything.)

So in this case, what was it you loved about the games you loved, and what is it you want from the current up coming titles? (I actually feel some games are starting to make a slight come back lately)
>>
>>377502753
I know that feel.
>>
I think it's because I'm getting increasingly worse as a player. I suck at games now.
>>
>>377503387
Why is this a problem? Who are you trying to impress?
>>
>>377503531
I don't find it fun to get stomped every time I play anything
>>
File: 1491800677827.jpg (83KB, 750x714px) Image search: [Google]
1491800677827.jpg
83KB, 750x714px
>>377502753
Same. Lately I've only been playing games with queues so I can lift during the down time. End up doing more working out than playing these days. Don't even feel anything from it anymore.
>>
>>377502753
Just do something else instead of vidya for a few months.
You never really grow out of them, you just get fed up with them when you are getting older and need to take a break.
>>
>>377502753
Try playing a game where you can actually get a game over and have to restart. Or Night in the Woods, that reignited some passion for me.
>>
>>377504301
second this
>>
>>377502753
Just stop playing completely. Try out some other hobbies. After a while you might either:
A. Get that itch to play video games again
B. Stop caring about video games completely and still have those new hobbies to focus on

I've been there before, just don't try to force yourself to have fun with video games when you don't feel like playing because it will only burn you out even further.
>>
I think I'm just sick of losing in every game I play

It's fucking shit when I used to be able to carry hard in everything
>>
>>377505269
As you get older you also lose 1) the time you were able to invest into games to get really good and 2) the ability to justify spending that much time in a game for what is actually a artificial achievement.
>>
>>377505542
>artificial achievement
As opposed to what?
Something else that doesn't matter once you're dead?
>>
File: IMG_1643.gif (114KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1643.gif
114KB, 125x125px
>>377502753
Master a Kamiya game (except Okami)
>>
>>377505764
As supposed to the things that actually get more valuable for you when you grow out of listening to linkin park.
>>
>>377505269
Doing this >>377505923 actually helped me out in multiplayer games with my friends.
I know it sounds ridiculous but I don't think it's a coincidence I started beating them at Smash, and even party games like Mario Party 2
>>
>>377505995
Like what?
A career?
So you can be a good boy and pull your weight in society and earn the respect of the state officials?
>>
File: 1489187791378.jpg (25KB, 310x403px) Image search: [Google]
1489187791378.jpg
25KB, 310x403px
>>377502753
>I don't have fun in them any more.
Given you spelt "any more" correctly (i.e., with a space / not as one word), you're likely either getting too smart for game (*age contingent and with respect to full frontal cortex development at circa 25 years) -or- you're playing the wrong genre types for your particular level of intellectual maturity.

To use myself as an example; I really only play the fighting game and puzzle genres as staple -- as they are the only games that stimulate my noggin enough to keep me interested outside of a social setting or whilst under the influence of substances.

However, as touched upon, I do play other genres too -- TPS, TD, S/H, platformers, racing. Though, those are far more for social occasions, and I am also very particular with these games (e.g., no FP / FPS's). In addition, on occasions, I will play something like a Fallout 4, for specific gameplay elements -- in cited example's case: its building and modding functionality.

>play games that create neural pathways, not help pejorate them
>seek games that reward, nay indulge
>combine gaming with other activities -- e.g., watch a documentary as you play, grind, hone skills etc.
>>
>>377502753
not possible.

t. 35 year old
>>
>>377506131
Making money is never a bad thing.
>>
Whenever I think I'm "over video games" it turns out I'm actually just depressed.
>>
>>377506167
So you're saying >tfw to inteligent for videogames

Ok
>>
>>377506131
No like family and friends, who you will begin to see more rarely. Like broadening your horizon.
Job is just the means to get the money to achieve that.
Get over your teen nihilist depression mate.
>>
>>377502753
Don't worry, soon the void will grow and you will enjoy nothing. Then you can go back and play vidya to distract yourself.
>>
funny enough i was in same situations
then i threw myself at soulsborne games
the spark came back
you could give that a try
>>
>>377506232
Except when you work your ass off to build funds your whole life and then you die without getting any pleasure out of it. Good boy. Help the bankers out by saving your money.
>>
>>377504301
This.
>>
File: sf3_vs_sfv.jpg (237KB, 1280x749px) Image search: [Google]
sf3_vs_sfv.jpg
237KB, 1280x749px
>>377506278
No one is "too intelligent" for anything.
>'I know nothing but the fact of my own ignorance.' --Socrates

However, some games / game genres are inherently more simplistic (e.g., FPS's / CoD) than others -- for these genres are made to make money through indulging the player.; not to satisfy players on a deeper level. (In fact, ironically, if such games were deep/er, they wouldn't spawn the sequels they are primarily vehicles for -- because players would be happy with what they already have.)

An analogy would be the 'arcade era' of video games versus the modern or 'console era':
- The game design mantras of the former era were predicated on keeping players playing (i.e., the games had to be engaging at their core--especially given technological constraints), protract the mastery time / learning curve, and also balance these two elements with the need to fleece coins from players (i.e., not turn them away with overbearing difficulty, for example).
>compare
- The latter era, where games are designed to attract players' attention through the swathe of competing, often clone-like titles (via nice visuals etc.) and to give the player a quick 'rush' though the agency of their gameplay mechanics (e.g., flashy cinematic actions from minimal player input... like QTE's or X-Ray attacks {MK}).

That is to say, games are always made with specific audiences in mind -- and although games today are heavily skewed towards the 'quick fix' (or "casual") end of the market (the majority) -- one can still find games which cater to their needs. This is because those making games comprise of myriad flavours, as those who play them.

In a few decades, this may change. however, by then, we will likely have A.I. and people will be busy 'plugged in' via neural up-links, or some such, so 'gameplay' will essentially be up to the individual to 'develop'.
>>
>>377502753
learn that since you have probably been vidyaing for a long time that your tastes now are hella refined in the sense that you now like specific type of shit done in specific ways to the point that most mainstream stuff released wont tickle your fancy much.

Best advice i can give you is to quantify and figure out what exactly it is your into exactly and try to dig through the shit ton of vidya out there that may actually be able to meat your wants.

Like personally i have not really enjoyed any triple AAA release as of late. Dont hate many of them or think they are bad or anything. But just dont really have much fun with much main stream shit aimed at the lowest common denominator.

So again just try to quantify as best you can the actually type of shit you enjoy and have fun with. And then get digging in your spare time that can satiate them tastes. While also giving rando shit a try as well every once in while to always finding out new shit you could be potentially be into.
>>
>>377507241
Ignorance is not necessarily directly correlated with intelligence moron.
The rest of your post is disregarded.
>>
find a strategy game you really like

t. no-life faggot with 3000 hours in ck2
>>
>>377502753
I just play arcade games in MAME. Shit never gets old and takes up less time to boot.
>>
>>377502753
You don't just "grow out of videogames". They are just another form of media that requires some dexterity skill and thought to experience.

It's like growing out of watching movies or some shit.
>>
>>377502753
play something /comfy/
>>
>>377502753
I am in OPs situation. Most games I find boring I bought W3 and gtav just basicly for graphics. Played like 6 hours each and them just dropped them.
I still play ff12 once in a while on pcsx2 trying to complete it (just tryig to reach lvl99 early in game) but even that is slowly becoming pointless.
>>
>>377502753
Play MOBAs, they will reignite your passion for vidya
>>
I think I'm growing out of toy cars. I don't have fun wit them any more. Most of the time I just get annoyed by them.

How do I reignite my flame for hotwheels?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.