[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so what's the deal with unity? why does it have such a bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: ogimg.jpg (17KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
ogimg.jpg
17KB, 1200x630px
so what's the deal with unity? why does it have such a bad reputation?

i haven't really been able to follow this
>>
File: 1463448463388.jpg (104KB, 581x668px) Image search: [Google]
1463448463388.jpg
104KB, 581x668px
Unity is a competent engine, but became popular under a lot of kids who wanted to get into game development. They created a lot of poorly written, shitty games, and since the free version of Unity always starts with the Unity splash screen, people came to associate it with terrible quality.

The engine has some real problems, but they are never mentioned. Input and UI are atrocious, but the worst offender is their payment model. They switched to subscription-only somewhere last year. Fuck that shit. Unless you're doing something really fancy, you're better off with free alternatives like MonoGame.
>>
>>377502264
>be somewhat competent game engine
>made to be used by everyone
>surprise everyone is mostly retards and scammers
>Way more shitty games than good ones with this engine
>Nobody mentions the engine when they are good
>Get bad reputation
>>
>>377502264
Mediocre standard assets and parameters abused by everyone.
>>
>>377502264
Because it has relatively poor lighting compared to other engines
And also all its default assets (textures, shaders, scripts, ...) are very low quality
>>
I just used it to make a smol game. It was pretty easy desu. Made me wanna create more.
>>
>>377502575
UI is a bit better than what they had in v4, but seems a bit bloated

input still sucks

subscription is only for special services like unity cloud, analytics, ads though, whats the problem?

most people don't need those things, the free version doesn't have any locked features anymore, only no access to "services"
>>
>>377502264
It requires a quite good technical knowledge to do something actually good on it, but requires no effort to make something that "just works".
>>
>>377503038
When they will fix the retarded ctrl+s bug?
>>
>>377503176
oh you mean the actual UI in the editor?
I meant the game UI system

dunno what bug you mean
>>
>>377502893
default assets are supposed to be quick examples to use the engine...
dunno what you were expecting
they're not going to make your game for you

and the lighting is fine since they started using the enlighten's same global illumination system as battlefield/dice/frostbite
>>
>>377503565
When your game have to use ctrl+s (for example using the ctrl key while walking back with an asdw scheme), the unity just capture the key and whines that you can't save while running, instead of doing the logical thing and actually just allowing the game to see the keystrokes.
>>
>>377503829
hahaha that is dopey
I'm sure they'll get around to it soon, they've been upgrading many parts of the engine, input should be next, it's long overdue

there was a bug where all the menus would grey out for no reason, but visiting the 'about us' screen fixes it again, and some shortcuts dont work on linux
>>
>>377505258
For me at least there's also a quite terrible one where it rapes the CPU horribly with the own windows kernel while on the editor window, but you can fix it by swapping to the game tab and going back.

But still beats the whole crashing the videocard thing of UE4.
>>
>>377502575
the first part of this post is completely correct
>>
>>377502264
The same problem with RPGMaker.

A lot of people make a lot of uninspired trash and it makes people think that that's all the engine is capable of.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.