[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Of all the animal mascots in the 90s, what made Crash different

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: sd.jpg (55KB, 613x335px) Image search: [Google]
sd.jpg
55KB, 613x335px
Of all the animal mascots in the 90s, what made Crash different than the rest to be so successful?
>>
>>377494351
His game was fun for it's time?
>>
I'd say Sonic was way more successful
>>
good games
>>
>>377494351
It was a good game and it was bundled with a lot of Playstations that were sold.
>>
Big budget I assume. Universal seems to have put some money down for that game, it was ahead of its time.
>>
inb4 whoa
>>
>>377494463
Sonic was early 90's.
Crash was late 90's.
>>
>>377494351
It was literally just the 3D.
>>
>>377494351
Games that were actually good and fun.
>>
File: crash dance.gif (333KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
crash dance.gif
333KB, 150x150px
>>377494351

He wasn't a shocking edgy sonic clone like bubsy or ummm..socket

He was a spastic hyper kinetic retarded loony toon.
>>
>>377494351
>so successful
Were there many examples of PS1-tier animal mascots that you'd plain call not successful, apart from maybe a couple of ill-conceived mascots that were carry-overs from previous generations like Bubsy?

Anyway, Crash games were so technologically advanced for the time that Naughty Dog hacked the console to do it, and Sony was unable to replicate their results.

Groundbreaking.
>>
>>377494351
He didn't talk or have an in-your-face 2Xtreme personality
>>
>>377494886

Did he ever say anything beyond WOAH
>>
>>377494949
He speaks in a Crash 2 promo and in Skylanders but that's about it as far as I know
>>
>>377494949
He said uh-oh in a cutscene in the first game.
>>
>>377494949
He quoted Nietzsche from time to time
>>
>>377495013
Crash's baby retard babble is pretty interchangeable with Thus Spake Zarathustra, but he doesn't suck quite enough dicks to be a "fuck me" misanthrope holier-than-thou twit.
>>
>>377494871
>Crash games were so technologically advanced for the time
lol, their secret was basically pre-calculating depth in the game since the whole thing is on-rails

the only reason other developers couldn't pull it off is they tried calculating depth in real time like every other game

there's nothing technically advanced about it...it's basically a pre-rendering cheat that means you can't give players any camera control whatsoever since it would completely break the engine
>>
>>377495068
That they used smoke and mirrors doesn't make the final result less impressive.
>>
>>377495068

So basically any linear game every made.

Go suck a dick, sandbox fag. I think I hear an achievement not going off
>>
the games were good
>>
>>377494949

He said pancakes once.
>>
>>377495109
it makes it aesthetically impressive but not technologically advanced

technologically advanced would have been to produce better graphics than the competition but also give players camera control
>>
he wasn't?

Wrath of Cortex, Twinsanity, Crash of the Titans
it was all Skylanders tier garbage
>>
>>377495407
>90s
>>
>>377495267
Technologically advanced would any 3D game technically since the PS1 was not TECHNICALLY a 3D capable device.

Also would Silent Hill 1 be called technologically advanced? It did an entire town without loading screens but hid it under foggy draw distance. But the lighting mechanics were amazing. It and AitD: New Nightmare were the only 2 games I remember that made use of that shit in 3D (technically on a pre-rendered background in AitD's case I think)
>>
>>377495484
Ignore that idiot, he doesn't know the real secret behind Crash's graphics; using the fixed camera and foliage to perform maximum object occlusion.
>>
>>377495407
Twinsanity has value
>>
brown lawsuit
>>
>>377495625
http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/04/making-crash-bandicoot-part-3/
>>
>>377495625
>using the fixed camera and foliage to perform maximum object occlusion
that is called pre-calculating depth

from every given frame along crash's path the naughty dog pre-processing workstation used scenery's occlusion to determine geometric visibility ... that is anything hidden behind scenery was to be culled from the display list

it's similar to preparing a z-buffer (also known as a depth buffer) in advance of the frame instead of generating one on the fly

of course you can only generate a depth buffer in advance if the relative positions of polygons are also known in advance...an arbitrary player-controlled change of camera angle even slightly would completely fuck with the scene's depth

it seems you are the one who is the idiot...
>>
>>377496012

That's called game design, retard. Of course it's precalculated, every thing was precalculated
>>
File: suce caboose.png (75KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
suce caboose.png
75KB, 230x230px
>>377494996
>Skylanders

>mfw they made him incredibly well spoken and reserved in the cartoon

Jesus fuck...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiNxucWYR-s
>>
>>377496104
There's no way to do any sort of speaking Crash well.

Honestly he's the sort of mascot that really should have stayed on the PS1. Although Twinsanity was so close to absolute excellence.
>>
>>377496083
>That's called game design, retard
not letting the player change the camera angle EVER is game design? even though it might help for making some jumps to look side on?

nope...it's literally an engine limitation caused by pre-calculating depth

basically think the graphics in donkey kong country except instead of the full image being pre-calculated on a workstation, in crash bandicoot the image is partially calculated on a workstation and the PS1 itself finishes the rest of the job

when you do something like that, there's a limit to how much freedom you have to manipulate your 3D scene

>Of course it's precalculated, every thing was precalculated
crash bandicoot is the only 3D game I know which uses pre-calculated depth

every other PS1 game uses polygon sorting tables

while N64 games will sort depth by pixels in a depth-buffer (z-buffer) parallel to the framebuffer
>>
>>377496356
>not letting the player change the camera angle EVER is game design?

Yes

>even though it might help for making some jumps to look side on?

You know what else would help? Not being shit.

>pre-calculated depth

Yeah you can say that till you're blue in the face it's never gonna be a real thing
>>
>>377496104
>talking at all
>not at least talking like a crack addict
how did they fuck up this bad
>>
>>377496419
>Yeah you can say that till you're blue in the face it's never gonna be a real thing
because you are an idiot who doesn't understand how 3D rendering works yet thinks his input on the topic is valuable

there would be no performance advantage if the PS1 console had to itself calculate what the scenery was occluding...that's an extremely expensive operation especially when there are a lot of polygons
>>
>>377495202
Oh yeah he did say that.
I liked that game actually.
>>
>>377496598
Crash of the Titans? It was pretty decent up until they introduced the Titans 10 seconds into the game.

I liked all the goofy costumes they gave Crash.
>>
>>377494949
if you beat the game in 18:87 he goes on an anti semitic rant for about 15 minutes
>>
>>377496732
The costumes were one the best parts, that and the new art style, really suited the world.
The Titans were kind of repetitive gameplay-wise, but I enjoyed the game nonetheless.
>>
>>377497004
please die
>>
>>377494949
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aO0X5b2jSk
>>
>>377496104
I think they should have made him goofy but intelligent instead of making him Crocodile Dundee,kinda like the personality he has in that small clip at the end of the video.
I'm glad they gave him an australian accent tho.
>>
WHOA
>>
File: gadget.png (98KB, 540x298px) Image search: [Google]
gadget.png
98KB, 540x298px
I love to build with
brown bricks
in
mine crap
>>
having a fun game that was available to everybody, even those without a memory card
>>
>>377497425
Man, Sony's proprietary memory cards turned out to be a special kind of cancer.
>>
New trailer lads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaV3vcg1tcc
>That fucking retard Ripper Roo
It just seems like he has Down Syndrome as opposed to being legitimately insane

They nailed Tiny though holy shit.
>>
>>377497956
I always wondered why the natives on Crash's island look like New Zealanders instead of Australians.
>>
>>377498423
They're really neither.
The whole motif for the natives in those games is more South American than anything Pacific.
>>
>>377494803
How did they get away with having him point to his junk and hump the air?
>>
>>377498672
the 90's were special
>>
>>377498672
feminists didn't know what a video game was back then
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.