[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>uses the fact that you'll die a lot as a selling point

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

>uses the fact that you'll die a lot as a selling point
>punishes you for dying
>>
git gud
>>
It's not just that you die a lot. You die more in most platformers and shooters without even thinking about it.

The point was that dying was significant and had consequences. Dying once after an hour of gameplay in Dark Souls was more traumatizing than dying 50 times in an hour playing Mario.
>>
>>377482034
/thread
>>
>>377482034
What?
>>
>>377482089
>dying was significant and had consequences

It has probably the most lenient consequences for dying possible, short of simply not having any. You still get to keep most of your progress and consolation healing items are given to you for free. Any game with a manual save system and no continues has harsher consequences for failure.
>>
>>377482034
Is this like a Pavlov's dogs sort of thing where whenever someone criticizes Dark Souls, the immediate response of it's fanchildren is to spout memes?
>>
>>377482395

Actually i've barely played any of the souls games and I simply felt the need to post that.
>>
>>377482330
Compared to other action games the checkpoints are rather far apart, there are a large number of hard fights between checkpoints, and if you die you lose all of your money and XP (even if you can get them back)

Dark Souls also had hollowing as a punishment for death, and if you die from curse it's really bad.
>>
What punishment are you talking about? Starting from the last bonefire, losing souls, losing humanity? Those things feel like a punishment only at the start of the game.
>>
>>377481967
The only games that advertised that you'll die a lot are Dark Souls 2 and 3, though it was most apparent in 2 because of that stupid world death counter.
>>
>>377482710
The front cover of Dark Souls 1 literally says "prepare to die edition".
>>
>>377482625
The main punishment is that you feel like an idiot for dying like a bitch, the rest just rubs salt in the wound.

Anyway I'm not saying that dying in dark souls is the worst thing ever, just that it feels a lot worse than dying in God of War or Call of Duty or Mario. From the perspective of normies who have never played something with permadeath it was pretty extreme.
>>
>>377482782
Because PCfats meme'd the fuck out it
>>
>>377482330
>Any game with a manual save system and no continues has harsher consequences for failure.
well unless they have a quicksave system, then it's a joke
>>
>>377481967
>punishes you
Barely. This one doesn't even cut your HP like DeS or DS2.
>>
>>377482865
I'm fairly sure it was meme long before the game was even on PC. What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>377481967
Call of duty 4 on veteran is harder than any souls game imo. Dying a lot on a boss and finally beating him is more rewarding than beating a for level though
>>
>>377481967
The Dark Souls world itself is in a state of perpetual death and decay.
>>
>>377482865
When das first came out on consoles i remember people being like oh it's the hardest game ever, it was memed before the pea cuck edition
>>
>>377482395
p much my dude
>>
>>377482395
Well, you see anon, it's just that you need to stop crying and GIT GUD
>>
>>377481967
>Ban Die

if only this would happen to the OP
>>
>>377482089

The great thing about it was how death was integrated into the story.

If you have humanity, you become more careful, and are more paranoid of your surroundings. You become defensive, just to cling on to your humanity and your souls. Not to mention that others will want to rob that from you i.e. invaders.

But if you die? You lose everything and now youve got nothing to lose. In a way, death is a release from your anguish.
>>
>>377481967
The marketing was stupid because the games being superficially difficult isn't what makes them great.

It's especially stupid because dying a lot isn't even what makes them superficially difficult. There is no real punishment for dying once, and there is absolutely no punishment for dying repeatedly if you've already lost your souls and humanity.

We finally got a good game that uses dying as an actual game mechanic rather than just a stupid "you fucked up, try again", and then the marketing fucked it up by making people feel like failures for dying and basically taunting them.
>>
>>377482089
>Dying once after an hour of gameplay in Dark Souls was more traumatizing than dying 50 times in an hour playing Mario.
I take it you mean NSMB, or maybe SM3DW. Death isn't meaningless in SMB or SMB3. Dark Souls is extremely forgiving by comparison. All it does is send you back to a checkpoint, and take away an easily replaceable currency that you still have a chance to recover. That's not a harsh penalty by any means. It's maybe harsh compared to some modern games that give you checkpoints before and after every scripted enemy encounter. But compared to most classic games with limited lives, it's nothing.
>>
>>377482782
Maybe because it´s the version with the DLC, which´s called Prepare to Die.

Just a reference for the death of Artorias.
>>
>>punishes you for dying

There's no punishment for dying, you lose nothing and can just run back and get your souls.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.