[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"If I wanted a good story I would read a book, I play games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: images (39).jpg (23KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
images (39).jpg
23KB, 512x288px
Is this a meme or gameplay is always above the story?

That would imply that a game like Witcher 3 is shit since the gameplay is poor and it's focused on the narrative
>>
>>377458312
Well it doesn't have a good story either so it would be shit either way.
>>
>>377458312
Story should only enhance a game, not be it's focus. If a game's focus is not story and that's apparent (like most platformers/action oriented games), then it's not an issue. However, if it's obvious that the writers wanted the plot to be a key part of the game (RPGs) and the story is bad then it should be counted as a detriment to the game.
>>
>>377458312
It's called opinions and personal taste, OP
Some people don't give a fuck about story so if the gameplay isn't fun there is no point for them
Then there are people that are willing to play boring games just to get "immersion" and a story
>>
>>377458312

>HURR DURR COMBAT IS THE ONLY TYPE OF GAMEPLAY

if you don't like story driven games, then don't fucking play RPGs, retard
>>
>>377458312
I personally loved everything about the Witcher 3, never really had a problem with the combat even though people posted those meme webms.
>>
>>377458312

What if I play games for both?

What if I like the fusion of story and play into one?
>>
File: 1465707364994.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465707364994.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>377458312
Its almost like people like different things. Personally I'm greedy and if it has a good story, it can carry meh tier gameplay. The opposite is also true.
If it has both, gravy
>>
>>377458312
Not a meme, read some books. Even video games that are noted for their storytelling (The Last of Us, etc) are awful in comparison to even mediocre literature.
>>
Any retard who thinks every game should strive to accomplish the same thing is whats wrong with videogames.
>>
Pleb tier: "Story is more important than gameplay. Last of Us is GOAT!"

Contrarian tier: "Story? In my video games? If you want story, go read a book faggot."

Patrician tier: "Gameplay is more important than story, but a story can make a game better or worse, and CAN be important"
>>
>>377458312
Story shit in games should use that games are interactive more. Look at destiny as a example of story done terribly. It uses the collectable information log system, and requires leaving the game to read the logs on their website.
>>
Games have the opportunity to tell stories in different ways. There is player agency which can alter the way a story plays out.

There's also the way games like metroid prime and dark souls tell stories, through environmental story telling, and the scanning stuff, where you get out of the story and world what you put into it. If you take the time to scan everything and look in every nook and cranny, you're rewarded.
>>
>>377458312
I can work with
>Bad story fun gamplay (like F.EA.R.)
>Meh game play but a good story/characters (ME1)
>Bad game play and bad story needs something else that can keep me around. (like Gwent in The Witcher 3)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.