[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like the game, I even don't dislike the combat. But here's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: W3.jpg (97KB, 1024x437px) Image search: [Google]
W3.jpg
97KB, 1024x437px
I like the game, I even don't dislike the combat. But here's a question. How the fuck do you immerse yourself in the game when Geralt's movement / animation / controls are so wonky? It's relatively OK when I'm walking through a town or whatever, although it still has some issues, but when I'm trying to get into a boat or climb on top of something or traverse uneven terrain it looks fucking retarded.

Help?
>>
Did you enable the alt movement?
>>
>>377395724
Yeah, I prefer the original movement because it's heavier. I'm not really too concerned about it feeling bad, it's that it looks bad a lot of the time that bothers me.
>>
I actually just beat the base game today. I also really like the game and dont mind the combat, but I had the same experience kind of.
>super beautiful environment
>just trotting into the sunset, soaking it all in
>immersed, comfyguy.jpg
>roach gets caught up on fucking nothing
>immersion broken
gotta just accept the glitchyness inherent to this style of game I guess... its not that bad, still beautiful and enjoyable. I didnt really find the animation bad, just some wonky controls... worse when I'm trying to rush things.
>>
>>377396456
>I didnt really find the animation bad...

Things like opening doors and Geralt not naturally resettling when he takes a sharp turn bother me. Individual animation loops are fine, but they don't always cycle naturally from one to the other or effectively correspond to what's happening in the game. Jumping for instance is fucking autistic.
>>
>>377395724
Not him but whats the difference between regular and alt?
>>
>>377397107
It's less realistic but feels considerably easier to move him around
>>
The game's controls aren't wonky per se, it just takes a lot more finesse and mastery over your controls to get him to do what you want than your average game.

I'm pretty good at just leaping into a boat straight from the dock now. You just have to sprint briefly and then jump at the right time. Alternatively, jump in the water then climb up on the side of the boat.

As for climbing the terrain, you just have to recognize which parts of the terrain are too steep/high for your sprint + press and hold jump to mantle on the edge.
>>
>>377397107
I think it essentially removes inertia.
>>
>>377397908
>I'm pretty good at just leaping into a boat straight from the dock now

That's not really immersive at all though, Geralt should just be able to step into the boat like a human being instead of leaping into it like a spastic.
>>
>>377397265
>>377398051
Call me retarded but what's inertia? Not a native English speaker.
>>
>>377398721
I guess they could have coded the step into boat animation too, but people in real life jump onto boats all the time.
>>
>>377398741
Slowing down / speeding up basically
>>
>>377399079
So, movement acceleration then?
>>
>>377394975
>Help?
Set the toggle walk/run button to something easily reachable to you, switch between walking and running based on your needs (walk in interiors and when approaching your objective, run when in open space).
Keep in mind that I'm talking about running, NOT SPRINTING. Sprinting drains your stamina, running does not. The game tends to toggle running on by default in in base game (off for some segments like the Kaer Morhen opening scene)...

When walking, Geralt controls entirely fine. So just keep switching between the two based on your needs and voila, the controls are fine. Not amazing, but completely fine.

>>377399091
Actually, inertia means "retaining the energy of mass". It's the force that will make heavier objects braking slower. It will also make them accelerate slower. It's the relationship between speed and weight, basically.
>>
>>377399091
Something like that. Default movement takes some time to turn and come to a stop, while alt movement allows you to turn and stop instantly, similar to other videogames
>>
>>377399346
>>377399445
Right, now I know what it's about. It's how Witcher 3 has those semi realistic animations so that even when you let go of the buttons, he will take a step or two before he actually stops and whatnot. I assume this just makes it work more "videogamey" where he just stops instantly in his tracks ala games of old.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, seems like objective improvement over the default forced realism.
>>
>>377399091
Don't listen to those fucking idiots.

One of Newton's laws is that objects in motion remain in motion, and objects at rest remain at rest, unless acted on by an outside force. Inertia describes this tendency.

Trucks have a lot of "inertia" because they have a lot of mass moving very fast so it takes a large outside force (brakes) to stop them. A truck that is stopped has a lot of inertia too, which is why it takes a large engine (outside force) to get them moving.
>>
>>377399346
>Set the toggle walk/run button to something easily reachable to you, switch between walking and running based on your needs (walk in interiors and when approaching your objective, run when in open space).
Keep in mind that I'm talking about running, NOT SPRINTING. Sprinting drains your stamina, running does not. The game tends to toggle running on by default in in base game (off for some segments like the Kaer Morhen opening scene)...When walking, Geralt controls entirely fine. So just keep switching between the two based on your needs and voila, the controls are fine. Not amazing, but completely fine.

I already do dat (play with a controller and I try to play the game like a vertical slice). No matter how much effort I put into making the game look good, it always shows cracks. Sometimes it gets in the way of enjoying the game too, like when you talk to an NPC it looks bad unless you let Geralt settle himself from a forward walk, but it's annoying to slow shit down like that every time you want to talk to someone.
>>
>>377394975
i swear, you faggots will complain about anything...

just enjoy the game. stop trying to find flaws everywhere. no one gives a shit about your opinion, i promise.
>>
>>377399549
Yeah, more or less.
Though if you want a game movement system based on real extensive use of inertia in praxis, I STRONGLY recommend playing Miasmata. It's a literally walking sim that tacks player character movement inertia to make actually just walking around an uneven terrain into a challenge. It's pretty clever.

>>377399632
I honestly don't understand most of this post. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the animations visually (unless they happen to literally bug out, thankfully that is rare). I understand that people might take an issue with them being IMPRECISE in combination with the small and often context sensitive interaction zones: but that is not a problem once you walk: the slower animation makes it impossible to to actually keep missing your targets and interaction prompts.

The only thing I'm getting here that you find it annoying having to switch between the two modes? Maybe this is because I played on a PC where the control scheme is always going to be more accomodating, but I sure as fuck did not have a problem after a little bit of getting used to it. If nothing else it made me slow down more often, use the walk option to take in the vistas and the sense of presence in more densely detailed and populated regions.
>>
>>377400002
>
The only thing I'm getting here that you find it annoying having to switch between the two modes? Maybe this is because I played on a PC where the control scheme is always going to be more accomodating, but I sure as fuck did not have a problem after a little bit of getting used to it. If nothing else it made me slow down more often, use the walk option to take in the vistas and the sense of presence in more densely detailed and populated regions.
I don't have an issue with walking (I do it in pretty much every game). Moving around the world and interacting with it just looks bad. Prime examples are things like having to leap onto a boat, sliding down a steep hill, jumping over a gap,making sharp turns, etc. It's just not very polished and the roughness takes me out of the game because it's supposed to be immersive and not too gamey.
>>
>>377400214
f8ucking syhitty fucking post fuck
>>
>>377400214
These are some of the most petty and pointless complaints that I've seen in a while. What are your fucking standards at this point? Also, none of that seems to have anything to do with the controls at this point. Just the fact that the game does not have a perfectly 100% realistic animations, apparently?
Also, you don't have to jump to the ship. Just vault over it, which is how you DO get into the ship.

This just seems like one of the increasingly common bizzare and out-of-touch-with-reality expectations problems.
>>
>>377400420
>What are your fucking standards at this point?
Assassin's Creed, MGSV, Arkham, Shadow of Mordor, etc., all have perfectly acceptable animations and controls.

>Also, none of that seems to have anything to do with the controls at this point.
It's true the main issue isn't with the controls, but the occasionally bit of unresponsiveness exaggerates these issues.

>Just the fact that the game does not have a perfectly 100% realistic animations, apparently?
No game has 100% realistic animations and that's not what I'm asking for.

>Also, you don't have to jump to the ship. Just vault over it, which is how you DO get into the ship.
I know how to do it, it's just a retardedly complicated fight with the controls that completely takes you out of the game. Geralt should just naturally be able to step on a boat from a pier, but he has to dive into the water and then climb onto the boat and then jump out of the boat like some spaz, or he has to leap into the boat to begin with.
>>
there are mods that fix it
>>
>>377401537
Recommendations, my dude?
>>
>>377400420
It is a petty complaint, but he's not wrong. It's pure first world problems autism type shit, but I genuinely felt that shit too and it was driving me crazy. Wen you play shit like mgs v and snake moves so fucking perfectly you want it in games like w3 too, because that game manages to do so much more right, but this basic ass thing feels clunky.

I can fully see where op is coming from and he's being pretty humble about the complaint, I don't get why you're speeding out
>>
>>377394975
i've heard complaints like this before and i still have no idea what people are talking about after playing for over 200 hours

care to elaborate?
>>
>>377394975
roach is honestly the most clunky horse in any video game ever. especially with a controller. it makes skyrim's vertical mountain climbers look good
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.