[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Video games CAN be art. Prove me wrong. you can't. Just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

File: journey-game-screenshot-20.jpg (85KB, 575x323px) Image search: [Google]
journey-game-screenshot-20.jpg
85KB, 575x323px
Video games CAN be art.
Prove me wrong. you can't.

Just finished my first play through of pic related. Was lucky enough to find a companion. It was absolutely magical. Post more artistic/stylish vidya.
>>
>>377392636
If you find the right person the first time playing this game it can greatly improve the experience

>Get to the top of the mountain
>They draw a heart in the snow around me and join me in the middle
>Then we walk through the door together

Was literally one of the sweetest things i ever experienced.
>>
Faggot.
>>
>>377393550
>>
>>377392636
ITS A MEME THAT IT CAN NOT BE ART. STOP BEING BRAIN WASHED
>>
>>377392636
Yeah video games can be art and a cup of bleach is still a drink. Just because it can be art doesn't mean its good
>>
>>377393896
... but in this case... it is.
>>
>>377392636
Tell me what is art about journey?
Pro tip: the art direction, and visuals are.
For games to be art, they must be art through and through. And run-of-the-mill jumping sequences are not art.
>>
>>377394343
>art direction, visuals
>evokes strong emotions
>forms unspoken bonds
>meaningful, open to interpretation
>unprecedented, imaginative, creative
>>
>>377394863
>art direction, visuals
>interpretation
Exactly. Not art. No "game" is art, unless the "game" part is art.
What you're talking about are artistic elements in the game. Those don't make the game itself art.
>>
>>377393896

>doesn't mean it's good

You talking about all video games in general there buddy? Cos if you are then browsing this board makes you a fucking moron.
>>
>>377394978
You're a fucking retard. Stop pulling fake arguments out of your ass for the sake of being a contrarian. Games exist as a whole, always have.
>>
>>377394978
The gameplay has an artistic quality of being beautifully simplistic, in the same way the art and plot is. You need 2 buttons and the joysticks. Not saying any game with simple controls is art, obviously, but the fact that gameplay is simple compliments the overall simplistic style of the game.
>>
>>377395318
and the simple gameplay is skillfully executed, it was fluid, and intuitive. It never felt like it was missing something.
>>
>>377392636
Videos games are a form of art just like any other medium. Paint, clay, marble, film, photography, etc.

They CAN be good art but just like other mediums, people can make bad art through video games too.
>>
File: players.png (2MB, 1790x1791px) Image search: [Google]
players.png
2MB, 1790x1791px
>>377393226
I sometimes deleted my save and played a red robe following another guy, pretending I don't know anything and just be a companion with subtle "lets go there" if he missed something but not pushing it. Other times I played a white robe with only one rune stripe (you must collect every rune in your first run to do that) and when I met other white robes we just glitched the levels, like going through the water level without pushing a single lever. Sometimes I was a white robe staying back and just helping someone out and actively guide them for secrects when they showed they really want to collect everything.

>>377394978
The gameplay elements convey the emotions you wouldn't experience in other forms of expression and that's art.
>>
>>377396568
I didnt know you could do that. So if I want to become a white robe, I have to delete my save, and find all the runes?
>>
>>377392636
Well yeah you wouldn't see anything on your screen if there wasn't any art.
>>
File: artGames.png (3MB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
artGames.png
3MB, 1600x1600px
>>377392636
>Post more artistic/stylish vidya.
Ok.
>>
File: Abzu.jpg (253KB, 1329x824px) Image search: [Google]
Abzu.jpg
253KB, 1329x824px
>>377392636
Abzu feels like a love letter to anyone with a fascination for the ocean. It kind of feels like it's set in the far future of Journey's world.
>>
>>377397061
Great picks
>>
>>377397061
I wonder how hard/pricey it would be for me to pick up some of these PS2 games
>>
>>377392636

I won't argue but let me ask you this

Why do they have to be?
>>
>>377396568
>The gameplay elements convey the emotions you wouldn't experience in other forms of expression and that's art.
Unless you're talking about books and movies and literally every other medium that does it better.
Working with wonky controls and pressing the jump button is and never will be art
>>
>>377396897
No. If you want to become a white robe you have to collect all the runes that prolong your cloak (flying meter if you will). They are saved over so you don't have to collect the ones in the next playthrough you already have.

But each time you finish the game there is a visible cue added to your character, pic related and you can turn on and off white robe after you collect all the ingame runes in the main area where you can pick any level and it naturally leads to the first bridge area.

If you delete your save file your scarf is reset which means you are just red without any stripes on it if that makes sense. This makes you look like a newcomer and others may think you are. I just uploaded the save file and whenever I wanted to have my white robe back without really collecting all runes again, I just deleted the one I had and replaced it with the uploaded one to get my white robe back.

Visibly the most knowledgeable players are white robes with only one stripe pattern on the scarf (second from left) because you have to finish the game at least once to activate the white robe portal with collected runes. I did this to quickly weed out other white robes so when I found a player like me I knew we were in for infinite flying out of level boundaries and basically breaking the game.
>>
>>377397338
MGS2, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus can be gotten cheap, Okami and Drakengard are going to be pretty expensive and hard to find because of low sales, Okami in particular.
>>
>>377397395
because they'd be shitty games otherwise, like >>377397227 which was basically a boring hallway
>>
>>377397227
I'll probably pick this up when its a little cheaper.

Anybody play Flower? Almost got it on sale with Journey but decided against it. Worth the money?
>>
File: alien animals.jpg (923KB, 1001x1772px) Image search: [Google]
alien animals.jpg
923KB, 1001x1772px
>>377397432
You keep saying it cannot be art but can't really say why. Just because I said so is not an argument. The emotion and thought provoking is there and it can be arguably better than in other media forms. Just because you are interacting with it in real time doesn't really denote it one bit, it can in fact enhance it in a particular way that is not achievable in other forms. Stop memeing shitposting nonsense you stupid piece of shit.
>>
>>377397764
>Stop memeing shitposting nonsense you stupid piece of shit.
Video game players ladies and gentlemen. Once they're told that their toys are not art, because they only have some artistic merits, as opposed to full fledged art, they go ape shit.
This is why no one will ever take this medium seriously. Outside of high schoolers of course.
>>
>>377397524
A boring hallway? The game is full of real ocean animals and the swimming feels great, what were you expecting it to be like to not be boring?
>>
File: alright.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
alright.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>377397950
>I ignore everything the other person said and continue to meme and shitpost
You lost the argument. You had a chance but you used it to shitpost. Thanks for proving me right.
>>
>>377397960
They could've explained what the fuck was going on for example, or make something interesting happen during the game, but no, it was just a 3 hour long tech demo where you press a button sometimes and they asked 20 bucks for it.
>>
>>377398223
I haven't finished it yet but it doesn't strike me as the kind of game with a story, if that's what you mean. The point seems to be swimming around the ocean majestically and looking at the various sea animals. Even the ocean floor in most areas is teeming with moving amoeba, starfish and octopi.
>>
>>377398220
First ad hominem, now delusion.
I'm not surprised to be honest.
Games will never be art until the gameplay itself is art. Come back in a hundred years.
>>
File: blacked.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
blacked.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>377392636
In a world where things like pic related exists, absolutely. The bar for entry has never been lower.
Lots of indie games are objectively artistic though. Many devs set out with only that as a goal, and some really pull it off.
>>
>>377392636
how is this a game when it has no gameplay
>>
>>377397227
best part about this shit was that you could beat it and still refund it
>>
>>377398578
You admitted defeat, get over it.
>>
>>377398663
You're such a snot nosed brat my man, GET UP.
>>
>>377398810
shut up dude. even if you were into what abzu does it doesnt change the fact youre just going through a recolored environment 3 times. even with what minimal interaction it has its repetitive. Its just OK NOW YOURE IN THIS AREA, its a lot like the last, but now the vegetation is red
>>
>>377392636
Videogames are art. There as much art as shitty mangas, movies, animes, capeshit, funnybooks, teen novels, or when SJWs splatter period blood on a canvas, etc. It's the same thing when people unironically think shit like Berserk or Drive is art -- they're right, but they're plebs with shit taste.

They're not fine art, and that's the difference. Same goes for TV and movies too, however, and that's where retards like Ebert got it wrong becauae they praise shitty mediums too.
>>
>>377398926
From this post I take that you're a pretty sad dude, grow my nigga
>>
itt: a bunch of high school dropouts discuss why something is or isnt art on a cambodian CP trading board
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.