[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anybody else tried using a Joycon + Mouse Combo to play shooters.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: 166.png (427KB, 1325x740px) Image search: [Google]
166.png
427KB, 1325x740px
Has anybody else tried using a Joycon + Mouse Combo to play shooters.

> Using my flat screen TV as my computer monitor.
> lying in bed with my a Joycon in my left hand and a Wireless mouse to my right side.
> Realize I'm basically playing computer games console style.

Am I a race betrayer /v/.
>>
>>377348698
I honestly think it's IMPOSSIBLE to beat the old kb+m purely on performance in anything which requires aiming.

Sure you get better directional movement with that, but you're unable to have as many keys available and have to take your hand off movement to do stuff.
>>
>>377348698
Well the joycon is basically the smallest possible boiling down of the thumbstick + 4 buttons 'gimmick' in one hand so I guess the next question is weather a tumbstick can be consider flat inferior to the range of motion of the wrist+forearm that mouse provdies.
And I would argue it is inferior.

Or we could ask whether a thumbstick is inferior to WASD.
>>
>>377349382
Isn't it technically 10 buttons? I'm not sure if there's an easy way to press SL and SR while being held vertically and having access to the other buttons though.
>>
>>377349060

The left joycon has 2 trigger buttons on top (ZL, L) and 2 hidden buttons to the right-hand side(SL,SR), along with six more Face bottons.

You would obviously make the control stick your wasd and then - button would be E.

ZL an L could be shift and ctrl since your index finger is always on top of those buttons it is essential taking on the role of your pinky.

Your middle finger and your pinky finger with then rest on SL an SR and they could be any 2 other keys that you feel are important to have immediate access to .

That leaves five more Face buttons that you can access I'll be it you would have to take your thumb off the control stick briefly.

That's 14 buttons that the joy con can represent. I feel that gives it plenty of options especially for wireless controller that you might be using while lying in bed.
>>
>>377350550
How many can you use EASILY while your thumb is on the joystick? I can imagine it only being that one at the top right side.

If you want to play in bed then it's probably better than keyboard though
>>
>>377348698
That sounds horrible
>>
>>377350848

While the thumb is on the stick your index finger will be up top were it can reach ZL an L buttons at all times.

Then on the right side of the controller there are two more buttons SL and SR. Its kind of weird at first but you can have your middle finger resting on SL and your pinky finger on SR.

then theirs the (-) button which is right next to the control stick I like to think of this as the E button and the control stick as the (wasd) buttons.

So besides the control stick there are 4 to 5 buttons that are in easy reach of your fingers without removing your thumb from the stick.

And then there are 5 more buttons below the stick but those are more difficult to reach and would require removing your thumb from the stick to reach them.
>>
>>377348698
holy shit this is revolting
I'd rather seppuku than use this.
>>
>>377348698
Wasn't there a 3rd party Playstation controller like this a while ago or something? I know you're not the first person to have an idea like this, I've seen attempts at it before with other controllers. It's cool that the Joycon makes it both easy and practical to set up though, it's something I'll have to try some time.
>>
>>377351697
You forgot you can click the stick as well.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29kX8jjlA9s

Something like this.
>>
>>377351697
I dunno, giving a quick test just now, I find it more comfortable to have my middle finger wrapping downward around the Joycon so that the tip rests on the SR button. Then I would just assign SL to something that doesn't need to be pressed at a moment's notice, like opening the map or something, and just reach over and press it with my thumb. The tip of my ring finger is on the corner of the Joycon, and the controller is resting on the second knuckle of my pinky.
>>
>>377348698
It looks comfy
>>
File: Fragfragfragchuckberry.jpg (17KB, 448x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fragfragfragchuckberry.jpg
17KB, 448x600px
>>377348698
I have pic related, but I recently purchased a Logitech G13 for games that require more keys, like League. I also have a Steam controller for general third person games and a DS4 that I use for driving in GTA V.
I haven't tried using my Joycons with the pc yet, but I will eventually.

Imo, the G13 is the superior way of gaming in bed.
>>
Something similar to a Joycon would be good. Except replace the stick with a D-pad, and make the side buttons easier to reach.
>>
>>377350178
Mean the 4 buttons in a square shape thing
>>
>>377348698
I've thought about trying it but I'm lazy
>>
File: navcontroller.jpg (29KB, 580x333px) Image search: [Google]
navcontroller.jpg
29KB, 580x333px
>>377351697
Could go for one of these instead. One less button, but they're better placed.
>>
>>377351697
You forgot the clickable stick, the wrist strap that widens the joycon a bit and pushes out the SL & SR buttons (if that's more comfortable), and the motion control.
>>
My bluetooth dongle sucks, but I should try that.

Does it play well with Big Picture?
>>
>they still think analog movement is superior to wsad in fps games

You never ever need more than 8 directions in a shooter, and keyboard allows far faster direction switching and reaction speed
>>
File: fragfx_large_2.jpg (140KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
fragfx_large_2.jpg
140KB, 1280x960px
neva bin dun befo
>>
Actually yes. I've taken to using the left half of my Steam Controller for movement and my mouse of aiming as of late. Surprisingly comfy.
>>
>>377353584

Your too lazy to play computer games in bed?
>>
>>377354405
Too lazy to link controllers to my pc
>>
>>377353678
Do these sync easily on pc?
>>
>>377353927

I know that Joytokey works with the Joycons so i would assume that Big Picture would also work with them.
>>
You have less keybinds if you drop the keyboard
>>
>>377354718
Yeah, it's just bluetooth.
>>
>>377349060
That's why you play with an MMO mouse like a Naga, a Scimitar, or a G600.
>>
Honestly the most accurate you could get with a controller setup is wiimote + numchuck and a vr headset . Real shame that'll never happen
>>
>>377353339
>ctrl + f g13
finally someone who gets it
Traitors that use controllers on PC yet complain about aiming trigger me so hard when this thing exists
Their only argument is analog movement, and this gives it to you plus all the keys, screen, macros plus mouse aiming and camera control.
>>
>>377355452
Or just VR controllers..
>>
>>377348698
I really want something like this for FPS games on PC. I need the accuracy of the mouse but using wsad actually hurts my hand. I think it's pressing w with my hand in a claw shape that does it.
>>
>>377355006
yeah i did ds4windows before official ds4 support came out, should be fine.

>>377348698
thanks for posting this thread im gonna try this tomorrow
>>
>>377356031
Fuck off
>>
>>377349060
Unless you're playing something that requires more keys than a controller actually has controllers are much more ergonomic and because of that it's easier to hit the buttons and faster as well. Hitting LB or clicking in a thumbstick will always be less awkward to press than ctrl or c.
I usually map whatever I use the most besides movement to my side mouse buttons like crouch, melee, or abilities.
>>
Get out of here Woolie
>>
So I'd just need some sort of usb bluetooth thing and then it would detect the joycon automatically?
>>
>>377357284

Bye something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Bluetooth-Adapter-Raspberry-Compatible/dp/B009ZIILLI

and then download a program like joytokey or some other controller to keyboard mapper.

and then your pretty much good to go.

They joycon and most other modern controllers can be picked up by Bluetooth.
>>
>>377356430
>controllers are much more ergonomic

I'd rather control movement with 3 fingers instead of doing it with a thumb.
>>
File: hori.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hori.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
You'd be better off with somehthing like this.

The problem (at least with a similar device I owned, maybe pic related gets around it) is that most games are just only programmed to support mouse+kb OR controller input, not both at once, so true analog input doesn't work with most games even using these sorts of devices
>>
>>377348698
Was doing that with the move navigation controller, it's very comfy.
>>
>>377357882
But controlling it with only 1 finger at any given time let's you do a lot more and respond faster than keyboard movement.
>>
>>377357918
I think that's because it's essentially just 1s and 0s being sent. It's in the shape of an analog stick but it's actually like 8 separate keyboard presses and not analog values.
>>
>>377348698
That sounds like the Border Break control scheme.
>>
File: 71kU-HIcW0L._SL1500_.jpg (158KB, 1500x1064px) Image search: [Google]
71kU-HIcW0L._SL1500_.jpg
158KB, 1500x1064px
Has anybody tried one of these the stick looks like its in a hard to reach position.
>>
I've done this with a 360 controller and a mouse. Works well. You get analog motion and mouse look.
>>
>>377349060
how about Mouse+Keyboard+left joycon? any shortcuts you want are easy to get to, and you don't even need to take any fingers off your movement device.
>>
>>377359147
I have. It takes time to get used to it, it made me die a lot in Bad Company 2. I didn't used the stick for movement though it was tiny.
>>
>>377353982
Basically this, no competitive shooter has analog movement.
For a single player game, you might use it as a way to improve your keyboard skills.
>>
>>377353982
B-but walking at different speeds!
>>
>>377348698
I tried this for the lols a few times with a PS2 controller, but it's no improvement. At the very best you just get the same result.

>>377350550
it's like you've never played a pc game in your life
>>
>>377348698
I've always wanted something like, especially if it has rumble.

A friend of mine made a Logitech G13-type controller for a uni project where the analogue stick actually worked.
The problem with these setups (hooking up a controller and using it with a mouse) is that only certain games work with it. Usually they the game tends to pause a little everytime you use one or the other style of controller.
From memory, my friend had portal 2 working well with the controller, and it was quite interesting to play with.

Hori actually has something kinda like it (pic related), but I've yet to buy it because I haven't heard any solid reviews for using it on PC
>>
>>377357983
>faster
no lol, and your fingers under the controller do fuck all

>>377357882
>not using 4 fingers for movement
shameful, but at least you can jitter better than a conslow

>what do you use then
8 9 0 and - for movement. The quarter second it takes to move from W to D can mean life and death in an FPS against someone who can do it almost instantly. then I have access to all the function keys on the right and bottom rows with my thumb and palm for the various other functions and quick swaps to F5-F8 and UIOP[] if I need even more. Plus a 5-button mouse.
>>
I actually did something similar with Saints Row 3. I used the 360 pad for movement while I used the mouse for aiming. Worked surprisingly well.
>>
>>377349060
You get better directional movement but it's basically useless 99% of the time, and you sacrifice the benefits you mentioned on top of speed and responsiveness. I can't imagine trying to bunny hop around in Quake or even just stutter step in something like CS with a thumbstick.
>>
analog movement is horse shit in high movement skill games like CS, Quake, etc. it's only useful for one dimensional movement (Doom) or slow movement games (battlefield, GTA, witcher, etc.)

left analog controller + mouse is the superior "comfy" pc configuration for almost every single game that doesn't benefit from either full controller usage or high precision movement
>>
>>377357983
false, it is not faster. just "comfier"
>>
>>377353339
and that'¨s why all the pros use these right
>>
>>377348698
That actually sounds like a pretty godly combo, as long as it's not limited by the number of buttons. But my mouse has plenty of buttons on it so it could work for me.

How many games support analog+mouse, though?
>>
>>377364528

>But what about being able to walk slowly
>>
>>377360483
>wanting to be able to go slower instead of being able to go faster
who does this?
>>
File: 167.png (22KB, 693x491px) Image search: [Google]
167.png
22KB, 693x491px
>>377365510

Joytokey doesn't really do variable speeds for the analog stick but instead just translates the stick into the (wasd) buttons.

If your ok with the stick just functioning as the (wasd) keys then you can play a lot of games by just using Joytokey or a similar control to keyboard Layout mapper.
>>
>>377367737
Oh, that's too bad.

How many games let you do movement with something like a 360 controller while aiming with the mouse?
>>
I'm shocked that this is a good thread
>>
>>377353678
Nice. I never thought of these methods before. I'm willing to make the jump to PC but, I never really liked the whole idea of being hunched over, 3 ft from a monitor, and trying to use a keyboard. I found a decent setup for my monitors, but this wireless left hand input method sounds like a good idea.
>>
>>377348698
I want a program that will let me pair my joycons to a PC as a single device that has all the buttons working properly and rumble ect. So far I know of no way to do that, at least not without a bit of fuckery and at the end of all that the sticks will be registered as linear inputs.

Being able to just veg out and play old games with my joycons at my sides would be so nice. Or maybe go fishing in XIV and bind the catch button with an up motion with the gyro controls ect.

One day...
>>
>>377348698
Is this any good? I might try it out
>>
>>377369306

I like it simple because it works good with Fallout New Vegas and sometimes I don't like sitting in front of my computer all the time (especially since my office chair broke and now every time I sit in it I'm afraid that it will snap and injury me)

being able to play steam games from my bed feels comfy and comfyness was pretty much all i was looking for when I set it up.
>>
>>377348698
It's cool for like the first 2 hours you use it and then you realize it's just way better to use a keyboard.

I tried doing the same but it's just inferior, you can really feel the difference in response time between the joycon and an actual keyboard.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.