[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of trying EQ out for the first time when the new tlp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_1165.jpg (186KB, 1024x741px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1165.jpg
186KB, 1024x741px
Thinking of trying EQ out for the first time when the new tlp server drops.

Any tips? Is it a waste of time if I don't have 5+ hours a day to invest into it (i.e will I be left behind and have no one to group with?).

Thinking of rolling an enchanter, shaman, cleric, or wizard.
>>
Grouping is everything in EQ I believe.

What's the tlp server? Legacy? Project 99 has been around for a while.

I think the game is ruined by how you can just google everything. The stories from the glory days of Everquest give me goosebumps, some amazing things happened.
>>
Anyone out there still play?
>>
File: AoW.jpg (212KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
AoW.jpg
212KB, 1280x1024px
>>377347729
it's a total waste of time because the people playing are super elite hardcore players who played when the game was new 20 years ago. EQ is really not a game to get into if you didn't play it when it was new, trust me, save yourself the time and headaches.

t. was in one of the 3 best raid guilds in the entire game for 8 straight years, pic related
>>
>>377348014
It's a time locked progression server. Meaning that at the start it will be Vanilla EQ with an expansion released every 12 weeks up to PoP.

It's a new server so there should be plenty to play with at the start
>>
>>377348123
Tell me your best stories please mate.
>>
File: Dain.jpg (119KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Dain.jpg
119KB, 1024x768px
>>377348265
last time i did that, the thread died before i could post all the paragraphs i wrote, not gonna waste all that time again. basically we did every single possible thing you could do in the game. the end.
>>
>>377348123
That's a bummer. Ideally I was looking for something I could relax with. I used to play a lot of AC back in the day, but it's been shut down. Lately I've been looking for something to scratch that old MMO itch, but can't find myself getting into anything current.

Maybe I'll just have to wait forPantheon to come out.
>>
>>377347729
>>377348123
Like he says, it won't be a comparable experience to EQ's heyday. I've been thinking of playing again for a bit the new server though.

Also out of those four options go enchanter or wizard.
>>
>>377347729
everquest is old and busted and people who worked hard to emulate it are at their ends too

>live servers a shit because they still have new zones, new spells, but time locked xpacs and thats it
>p99 is so god damn old its showing its age, I mean kunark was cool but 5 years of it and perma velious got old fast
>>
File: Yelinak.jpg (123KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Yelinak.jpg
123KB, 1024x768px
>>377348584
>I was looking for something I could relax with
EQ is a game where you will hit a point where you will be grinding in the same camp killing the same monsters for 8-12 hours a day, and get 5% of your level for that 8-12 hours, for a variety of reasons

-maybe that camp is the best xp for your level
-maybe that camp isn't the best xp for your level, but the best camp is 24/7 camped by others who won't let outsiders in
-maybe you don't have the gear or classes required in your group to go to a different camp

EQ is the opposite of relaxing, even if you play the most braindead class (warrior) you have to constantly be on your toes holding aggro, pulling mobs, peeling from squishies (a clothie can die in 2 or 3 seconds with an equal level mob meleeing him)
>>
>>377348919
In a sense that does sound relaxing in a sense. I find myself most relaxed in games that I can get totally immersed in that have a sense of danger to them.

What I always liked about old school MMOs was the sense of exploration you got and the knowledge you build up as you play. Certain hunting spots become famous and meet up points for similar leveled characters, quests are a bigger deal than collect 10 of something and end with a unique item, the oh shit moments of having to run away or do a crazy corpse run.

That's what I was looking for. Only thing is that I can't invest crazy hours into it with a career and family now.
>>
>>377349687
In a sense that's does sound relaxing* sorry for the typos. Posting on the phone atm
>>
File: 1485118502584.jpg (110KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1485118502584.jpg
110KB, 1024x768px
>>377348572
Actually m8 I've seen you post before, is this one of yours?
>>
File: PoM.jpg (137KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
PoM.jpg
137KB, 1024x768px
>>377349687
>Only thing is that I can't invest crazy hours into it with a career and family now
EQ is really not the game for you, there were news stories about EQ ruining marriages because husbands were just playing all the time, because the game actually REQUIRES that much time investment to get anywhere, it's not a game where you can play for 30 minutes or an hour at a time and make significant progress.

EQ will always be my favorite PVE MMO (UO for PVP) but it's honestly hard to recommend it to people that aren't NEETs with unlimited free time. It certainly is a great game for danger, and harsh death penalties though. You'll learn how to play your class properly, and how to safely navigate the game world, or you will die and lose hours of xp gaining, that you can only get back by paying a cleric for a rez (or being lucky and finding a friendly one who will do it for free) and if you do have to pay for it, you will probably lose all the money you made from whatever grinding you were just doing in the first place.

Personally, I think more MMO's need to follow that formula or you get games like WoW where you can use death as a form of travel because there is no penalty and you respawn somewhere else in the same zone.
>>
>>377350047
yeah it is, i tend to pop into EQ threads to see what people are talking about, usually it's casuals trash talking it though
>>
>>377350130
I don't really have any ambitions or extreme desire to get to endgame raiding or anything like that, but I get what you're saying.

Max I could give are a couple hours a night (not every night) and some longer play sessions on weekends.

Hopefully Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen will scratch that itch I've been having since the early 2000s.
>>
>>377349687
>>377350130
You don't have to play EQ for it's hardcore poop-socking end game/raiding. I always loved early EQ, just exploring and getting lost in the world while occasionally grouping and doing some lowbie dungeons with friends. I've never made it past level 45 but I've probably made over a hundred different characters through the years.

Playing solo also doesn't require that much of a time investment and there are a few good solo classes like necros, shamans, magicians, and bards.
>>
>>377347729
You will be fine even if your not hardcore.
You don't need to spend 5+ hours a day.
You can play 5 hours on a weekend, you wont progress REALLY fast, in fact it will be really slow.
But if you keep at it, and actually learn to play it can be a rewarding experience.
>>
File: Aten.jpg (199KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Aten.jpg
199KB, 1280x1024px
>>377350748
The point of EQ, at least these days, is endgame raiding. Whether you did an official TLP server, or P99 or another emu server, it's all about reaching endgame, you don't really see the people all about playing the low to midgame enough to make it viable. Of course, you could always just play a solo class, but personally, what's the point of playing a MMO alone all the time?

>>377350951
>You don't have to play EQ for it's hardcore poop-socking end game/raiding. I always loved early EQ, just exploring and getting lost in the world while occasionally grouping and doing some lowbie dungeons with friends

The problem is, all of that is gone because everything is datamined and stuck on wikis before the game is even released, people do that during the alpha and beta. the fear and trepidation and wonder of exploring a new zone is gone because you know where everything spawns, what everything drops, what level everything is, the optimal paths for traveling, the best areas to camp, etc.
>>
Is EQ or EQ2 better?
>>
>>377347729
I dunno what to tell you man, most current EverQuest emulators are so old its filled with twinks wrecking low level zones and unwilling to share, or cuntfucks who train, or corrupt GMs who dont have a downside to doing shit

and the live servers are anything but "classic" or vanilla or whatever you want to call it
>new zones like combined commonlands, nek forest, lavastorm, etc
>new spells and shit, hybrids have level 1 spells and so on
>new models, not a big thing but some are just terrible
>much faster leveling
>basically all the commodities of live but level restricted

You can.. try to have the first time experience but you are 18 years too late for that, even p99 is like 7 or 8 years old now and you are too late for that
>>
>>377351375
That's true. I played EQ during it's beta and things were a lot different back then. I remember having to hand draw my own maps.

I can't get into new MMOs because the fun of exploration and discovery is completely gone.
>>
>>377352230
We probably won't ever have a true classic MMO ever again unless developers use 256-bit encryption on all of their files or some shit so nobody can datamine anything. I don't really know how to stop it, it seems impossible at this point. The traditional MMO has been replaced by powergaming (which is fine, but not when it completely takes over every aspect of the game)
>>
>>377351375
>>377352803
Can't you just not look it up? It's like using a guide in a single player game. It's a choice to use it or not.

Maybe you won't be as efficient as other players, but I really enjoy the leveling experience. The game starts when you create your character not at some point a month or months down the road when you reach max level
>>
>>377353979
sure, YOU can choose to not do it, but other people certainly will abuse what they can, and then you get flak for being in dungeon x without quest weapon y that everyone else has because it's on a wiki, and they might even kick you for it.
>>
>>377353979
MMOs aren't really designed for that anymore. You're expected to look stuff up and know everything in advance. I had a group try to kick me in FF14 because I didn't watch a YouTube walkthrough of the dungeon before doing it.

I'd rather just play single player games now so I don't have to put up with that shit.
>>
File: anarchy1.jpg (442KB, 630x906px) Image search: [Google]
anarchy1.jpg
442KB, 630x906px
>>377349687
>>
File: DarkLancer.png (442KB, 807x625px) Image search: [Google]
DarkLancer.png
442KB, 807x625px
>>377348028
I do but I recently found out what NK was doing was thinking of joining the army,so haven't had much time to play

took about two to three weeks to get crafted armor from their original questlines though it looks amazing on a troll warrior

>those evil eye's in runnyeye

>the werewolfs that spawn in the karanas

>frost totems & fire totems from goblins
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.