[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Wonderful 101 fail where Splatoon, and seemingly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 15

File: 101.jpg (555KB, 1340x1024px) Image search: [Google]
101.jpg
555KB, 1340x1024px
Why did Wonderful 101 fail where Splatoon, and seemingly Arms, succeeded?
>>
>seemingly Arms

Fuck off.

TW101 failed because the demo turned off most people.
>>
>>377340043
>comparing multiplayer games to single player game
Are you seriously that fucking retarded?
>>
>>377340192

But W101 does have multiplayer.
>>
Marketing push.

W101 was also released vaguely close to GTAV, so it really never had a chance.
>>
The two easiest reasons are that it's hard to pick up and play easily - you have to take time to learn a system that's pretty alien - already a turnoff

The actual problem was very simple: bad timing and a painful lack of marketing

Still one of the Wii U's greatest titles by far. But sometimes these things happen.
>>
it's hard to go back in time to buy a game that I didn't know existed for a console I didn't own
>>
1. Marketing
2. Wonderful 101 came out before Mario Kart and Smash so many people we're paying attention to the system yet. By the time people were picking it up, W101 was forgotten, and platinum fags had Bayo2 to buy instead. Simply putting wonder red in smash and reprinting the game in early 2015 would have skyrocketed sales
>>
thanks for reminding me that I bought this game and played it for 10 minutes
>>
>>377340043
Comparing the sales of a niche action game by a third-party dev to two first-party Nintendo titles is pretty useless
>>
File: 4chan doesn't make it better.gif (1MB, 321x206px) Image search: [Google]
4chan doesn't make it better.gif
1MB, 321x206px
>>377340043
Advertising
>>
>>377340043
Wonderful 101 had no obvious waifus and it was too difficult for the average pleb
>>
People seem to forget nobody buys a Nintendo system for singleplayer games and just wants them for the fun multiplayer games like Smash, MK8, Wii Sports, F-Zero, and now Splatoon.
>>
>>377340043
It had a skill floor too high for the average nintenbro.
>>
wonderful 101 is shit and is a game for contrarian autists
>>
>>377340043
>Trying to say a game succeded when the demo hasn't even gone live yet

Shit thread. Fuck off.
>>
>>377340043
I didn't even know this game existed until saw its trophies in Smash 4
>>
>>377341340
>People seem to forget nobody buys a Nintendo system for singleplayer games
breath of the wild
>>
>>377341819
Sold well enough for a Zelda game, but is definitely not a hardware seller. MK8D is right now the reason to have a Switch and will remain the top seller on the Switch till Spla2n.
>>
Kamiya is a piece of shit. people who enjoy le epic gaben type of trash like him.
>>
W101 is a challenging game, its designed to piss off casuals.
ARMS is a wagglefest for people who grew up playing the Wii.
>>
>>377342098
>Sold well enough for a Zelda game, but is definitely not a hardware seller.
it completely carried the switch launch what the fuck are you talking about
>>
Marketing.
>>
>>377341819
Difference being Breath of the Wild is considered one of the best games of all time, even surpassing OoT, while TW101 while pretty good, is just that.
>>
It was a bad game and platinumfags are a delusional niche.

Next.
>>
>>377342281
There is no reason to think BotW is the reason why the Switch is selling well. If anything, the reason the Switch is selling well and BotW was the only good game on the system is the reason BotW also sold well. I'm not trying to undermine BotW's quality, it's a good game, , but the Switch is most likely selling on the Nintendo brand, good marketing making sure people know the Switch is really a new device, and having the home console + handheld in 1 feature. If the Switch had a good multiplayer competitor during launch, it would have most likely been overshadowed in sales. It's the main reason why MK8D was delayed to after the Switch's launch.
>>
Bad marketing and most people didn't even know what the game was as a result. The main way to discredit it was that was it's just a shitty Pikmin clone, for example.
>>
>ui is a complete clusterfuck
>fixed camera is shit, enemies attacks can come from outside the screen boundaries
>the admitedly cool core combat is constantly interrupted by shithouse arcade minigames oh look here's bootleg viewpoint oh cool now it's chinese punch out that last for fucking ever
>the gamepad only sections are the fucking pits, third rate puzzle solving with a jittery camera and cramped environments ill suited to your characters
>no one ever shuts the fuck up
>which wouldn't be too bad if the characters were likable but they're all complete shit, flat charmless archetypes (fat french faggot, sakura from naruto, cold russian, honolabru nip ninja etc)
>it's not even hard as the checkpoint system is incredibly generous but it seems purposefully designed to annoy the shit out of you and make it a chore to master the system
reeee why was the game a failure fucking casuals!!
>>
>>377343184
>good marketing
People are still confused about the switch brand, whether its a console or handheld. Nintendo Japan are marketing it has a handheld where the west is pushing it as a console with portable features.

also
>Zelda
>Not a hardware seller
TP sold Wii's and Nintendo are trying to capture the same magic with BotW and Switch.
>>
>>377340043
Marketing. Also accessibility.
>>
>>377343919
>People are still confused about the switch brand,

I think you're exaggerating a little. Also consider that in the case of the Wii U people didn't even know if it was a new console or not
>>
>>377344621
>wonder mop
>>
>>377344887
wonder Roll actually, I found a ton of crossover images on the vidyabooru
>>
>>377343919
MKwii, Wii Sports, Brawl, Just Dance, and NSMBwii sold Wiis, all multiplayer games. TP was a nice game for people who also wanted a SP game, but it was by no means the reason why people bought Wiis.
>>
>>377345127
more pls
>>
>>377342098
>Sold well enough for a Zelda game
I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the best-selling in the franchise, its already sold more copies than Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask and we only have numbers for the first six weeks or so its been out.
>>
>>377345394
you got it
>>
>>377345215
>but it was by no means the reason why people bought Wiis.
I'd say it was a system-seller at launch, it's why I bought one. I knew it would have Smash eventually, but I didn't wait until it came out to get the console because I wanted Zelda and MP3.
>>
>>377345549
>>
>>377340043
It was shit. Sorry guys, it's true. Game is shit. It's Kamiya's Pikmin moment.
>>
File: 8-1453468901309.jpg (57KB, 469x750px) Image search: [Google]
8-1453468901309.jpg
57KB, 469x750px
>>377345702
>>
Marketing and high learning curve.

It's easy for casuals to play Splatoon or Arms and good good but W101 demands you get a grip on things, which there is nothing wrong with but we all know that if a game doesn't hold your hand these days it's easily minus 2-3 points
>>
>>377341340
The core Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kongs all sell well.
>>
>>377345791
>>
They could re-release it on the Switch, market properly and it would probably sell well, giving them another new franchise under their belt. Hope they keep on doing new stuff.
>>
>>377345909
>>
>>377346002
I'm dry
>>
File: 145895621561.jpg (204KB, 993x898px) Image search: [Google]
145895621561.jpg
204KB, 993x898px
>>377345606

I don't want to be down on TP, I liked it on my GCN, but there is a reason why there is only one SP game in the top 10 best selling games on Wii and there is 7x fold difference between the best seller and the SP game. All those grandmas and soccer moms that bought a Wii didn't buy it for TP.
>>
>>377345828
Not helping that early game is probably the least engaging part, and apparently people couldn,t figure the garage ''''''''''''puzzle''''''''''
>>
>>377345943
They would need to rethink some of the shit involving the dual screen.
>>
>>377340043
W101 is more niche, same as Bayonetta. Except it's skill ceiling is way higher.
>>
>>377340043
2hard
>>
>>377346220
>people couldn,t figure the garage ''''''''''''puzzle''''''''''
its pathetic really
>>
>>377345215
Sure, not denying that but I'm talking about Zelda being a system seller and TP was a Wii launch game and the launch game that moved units at launch.
>>
>>377346318
Its funny how many themes, enemie designs, visuals and scenarios where lifted from W101 and put into Bayonetta 2
>>
>>377346207
It helped sell consoles at launch but I agree it was largely those other games driving sales later on. But they weren't out at launch and TP sold really well on Wii, it was definitely the most popular game that wasn't the free pack-in. Similar situation to what we have with BOTW, not many people owned Gamecubes and the Wii sold unexpectedly well with the new Zelda helping a lot.
>>
>>377340816
I still don't understand why Wonder Red wasn't in Smash. It's the best publicity stunt that Nintendo can pull for a new IP.
>>
>>377340043
>Too difficult for the normies
>next to none advertising
>the platinun games curse (only revengeace and NIER automata overcome it).
>>
>>377346829
Bayo 2 was already in the works and was picked in favor of it.
>>
>>377340043
It's almost like marketing can have an impact on sales.
>>
>>377346920
What's the 'Platinum games curse'?
>>
>>377346829
W101's whole gimmick is that the more people you have, the stronger you are. Considering 3DS Smash was a thing, the hardware probably wouldn't handle it well. Maybe the Switch is strong enough.
>>
>>377347298
nah that's dumb, wonder red would be fine as a solo fighter
>>
>>377346702
I always find it interesting to hear from people whether they bought a system for a certain game or whether they bought a certian game simply because it was available on a system. I bought a Wii for SS (and to play any previously released games) and bought a WiiU for BotW (and to play any previously released games) so I'm mostly a SP person, but when I speak to people who only play a few games, it's interesting to hear they usually go for the multiplayer games on Nintendo systems. It's always Mario Kart this or Smash that and once in a blue moon someone brings up a SP game from their childhood like Eternal Darkness, but hardly ever is it that people specifically have their nintendo systems for those SP games. I think Nintendo has realised this and that is why Nintendo has been pushing multiplayer new IPs with Splatoon on WiiU and Arms on Switch.
>>
Wasn't Wonderful 101 about having a BUNCH of very tiny characters at once in the screen and using the stylus to play the game?

I'm not sure because I haven't played it, but W101 doesn't have a lot of personality to it like arms and splatoon do, in the fact that you aren't really controlling a single character that represents "you", and that you can customize to suit you personally, and these kind of competitive and personal games usually make more success than the more strategy based/controlling a lot of units games like W101.

And W101 was just weird in general, both splatoon and arms are a twist in a popular complete, W101 was something more or less completely new.
>>
>>377348062
No offence but this post is just another example of how poorly understood w101 is. Pretty much everything you think you know about it is wrong.
OP, this is why w101 failed, here's your answer.
>>
>>377348295
Gotta agree here. Almost all the promotion material for it sucked and led to a lot of misunderstandings about the game. The trailers for the game are fucking solid from a narrative standpoint, but the demo didn't do the game many favors.
>>
>>377348062
Its really not an rts game. The 100 guys running behind you are pretty much only cosmetical, you play as one of the 7 guys who can morph. Feels almost exactley like Bayonetta, only you switch weapons by drawing with the stylus or stick (<-- which is the only way to play). The fun is mastering this system, combining and combining multiple morphs at once while managing energy that determines the size and damage of said morphs. W101 requires an IQ of over 120 to play at the highest difficulty, the complexity of the fighting system can go to retarded highs.
>>
>>377340043
W101 is for a niche audience, while Splatoon (and ARMS) are not.
What's so hard to understand? Not everyone likes a team of superheros with high views on justice, unless those super heroes come from Marvel or DC (as in capes).
>>
>>377348295
>>377349560
I agree with you that the reason it didn't succeed was because it was poorly understood, and I now remember W101 works, you control a single character and you use the little guys that follow to make giant swords and stuff to whack shit, but it's still more or less the same point, that you don't feel really personally connected with the game, and I think that if had followed the RTS path with a super hero twist it would have much more success, because it would at least appeal to the RTS crowd, which was still pretty big back in 2013.

Anyway what I'm saying is that W101 doesn't appeal to the general public, meanwhile Splatoon and ARMS do. I think W101 is more akin to Pikmin with an action twist, in the way that you control very small characters on the screen that follow you and you do stuff with these small characters, which has a very strong fanbase that loves the game, but Pikmin isn't exactly the pinnacle of success either.
>>
>>377345215
I bought a Wii for TP.
>>
>>377340185
as someone who loves w101 the demo was fucking terrible.

w101 failed because of A) lack of marketing and B) challenging gameplay with a steep learning curve.

Pretty much any chucklefuck can hop into splattoon and figure out what's going on, w101 you need at least 10 hours in before you're even starting to get the hang of things.
>>
>>377343210
I like the game but this is 100% accurate.
>>
File: Average W101 Reviewer.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Average W101 Reviewer.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>377343210
>the admitedly cool core combat is constantly interrupted by shithouse arcade minigames oh look here's bootleg viewpoint oh cool now it's chinese punch out that last for fucking ever
This is my only real issue with the game.
>>
>>377340395
>>377340556
>>377340816
>>377341381
>>377342356
>>377343195
>>377344621
>>377345828
>>377346920
>>377347063

I like how everyone is giving the exact same answer. I know that sounds like sarcasm but I genuinely love that everyone is so on-point in this thread
>>
>>377350202
>that you don't feel really personally connected with the game

Nigga, what are you even on about?

The cast of characters in the game is it's strongest point. Every single one of them is fun and likeable, and that gives the story (which is pretty well executed from a spectacle and pacing perspective) some real stakes to it. You want to see the gang succeed, stop the bad guy, and save the world. If you can't get invested in that, that's your problem.

The ending of Wonderful 101 is one of the best in all of video games, and I don't think I've ever been more pumped in a final boss.

>I think W101 is more akin to Pikmin with an action twist

Again, just proving that you just don't understand the game. It's a character action, CURAHZY beat 'em up, with some unique controls/mechanics to make it feel fresh and unique. It has pretty much nothing in common with Pikmin, other than there being lots of dudes on the screen.

But again, as both you and the posters above pointed out, it's Nintendo's fault that people like you have no clue what the game is about.
>>
>>377343210
I want to disagree with you but those are all valid points
>>
>>377340043
Wonderful 101 locked too many mechanics behund upgrades. Casuals need those blocks and dodges right away, without them the early levels are too hard and unappealing to people who dont play beatem ups.
>>
>>377350202
Again, this post is another example of the misconceptions about the game from someone who didn't take enough time to understand the game and took everything at face value.
>>
>>377340185
So we'll know if Arms is gonna succeed or not in 2 weeks?
>>
They should have kept it Nintendo-related instead of being a new IP desu
>>
>>377345786
>Kamiya's masterpiece
>shit
>>
No online. Is it that hard to comprehend? Look at ANY game out that doesn't have multiplayer/co op, and compare its sales and scores to that of one with online interactions.
>>
>>377351271
>new IPs are bad
Die
>>
>>377343210

>ui is a complete clusterfuck
>fixed camera is shit, enemies attacks can come from outside the screen boundaries
>the gamepad only sections are the fucking pits, third rate puzzle solving with a jittery camera and cramped environments ill suited to your characters

Agree with these to an extent

>no one ever shuts the fuck up
>which wouldn't be too bad if the characters were likable but they're all complete shit, flat charmless archetypes (fat french faggot, sakura from naruto, cold russian, honolabru nip ninja etc)
>it's not even hard as the checkpoint system is incredibly generous but it seems purposefully designed to annoy the shit out of you and make it a chore to master the system

This shit is just nitpicking though.
>>
>>377351145
you can't really blame individuals on this
>>
>>377350816
It sucks.

W101 deserved more than what it got. The demo wasn't accessible to new players and Nintendo dropped the ball on advertising because they were focused on their first party games. It was just before they really started at third parties for smash inclusions too.
>>
>>377351380
fair enough.
I just would like to see the docs before they switched it up. Some of the things like the Punch-Out segment in the game or the Starfox areas would have made more sense. It would have been a fun celebration of Nintendo's legacy.
>>
>>377351271
That was never going to happen. They literally (and I do mean literally) took one look at a piece of concept art and said "Yeah... This isn't going to happen".
>>
>>377340043
It's a really hard concept to sell. It just didn't look fun. I'm a Platinumdrone and it was a fairly hard sell for me.

Add to that, that the demo wasn't exactly played by the best of the best and that nobody fuckin knew about it, and it tripped right out of the gate.

Great game, though.
>>
>>377351432

No, it's Nintendo's fault.

They forgot how to market... Well, anything really.

Games, systems, you name it.

The mass majority of people are like the guy that other anon was replying to, and have no idea what the game is or what it's all about. Hell, an even larger number have probably never even heard of it.

Couple that with it being released up against GTAV and completely overshadowed both in the media and sales-wise, and it was a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>377340043
Splatoon didn't need a great tutorial-campaign, but it got one.
ARMS doesn't need a great tutorial, but will probably get one.
Like most Platinum games, Wonderful 101 desperately needed a great tutorial, and got a half-assed tutorial.

Platinum makes great games, but they're terrible teachers.
>>
File: Chibi_Robo.jpg (27KB, 214x300px) Image search: [Google]
Chibi_Robo.jpg
27KB, 214x300px
>>377340043
The key difference here is that Splatoon and ARMS were made in-house by Nintendo EAD/EPD, the same people responsible for countless series that have resonated big time with audiences such as Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Wii _____, etc. PlatinumGames's repertoire on the other hand mainly consists of niche games only a certain audience can appreciate.

It goes without saying that the series that are actually made fully by Nintendo in-house have a bigger priority and a bigger chance of succeeding than series made by quirky outside studios like PlatinumGames or skip LTD. Wonderful 101 isn't really any different from Chibi-Robo! Custom Robo, Dillon's Rolling Western, and other unimportant "second party" Nintendo franchises/one-offs.
>>
>>377351432
It's mostly Nintendo's fault but a small part of responsibility lies on the player for not clearing the learning curve.
>>
>>377351821
>They forgot how to market... Well
He says as Splatoon sold 4.5 million copies.

You just gotta deal with the fact that W101 was a niche product made for a niche audience.
>>
>>377352272
Nintendo literally didn't market it. In fact, Nintendo barely marketed the Wii U itself till fucking Mario Kart came out.
>>
>>377352272
One is first party, the other is third party. That is the Nintendo difference.
>>
File: mike.jpg (21KB, 505x550px) Image search: [Google]
mike.jpg
21KB, 505x550px
>>377348062
>but W101 doesn't have a lot of personality to it like arms and splatoon do
>>
>>377352809
>Nintendo literally didn't market it
if you're talking about W101, it got an exclusive Direct, just like how Splatoon and ARMS did
If you're talking about Splatoon, then LMAO.
>>
>>377352272

This game was pre-Mario Kart, which was when Nintendo realized they fucked up was actively marketing and trying to move Wii U units/games.

Splatoon got infinitely more marketing than W101.
>>
Controversial controls as well as very little marketing are the biggest factors.
>>
>>377353078
A single direct, when no one had a fucking WiiU or wanted one at that point. That's NOT how you into proper marketing with the other comparisons made.
>>
>>377340043
>Arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4Ej1SZq5s
>>
File: 1481988968097.png (50KB, 747x443px) Image search: [Google]
1481988968097.png
50KB, 747x443px
>>377340043

If it was a Nintendo 1st party game it would have sold
>>
>>377355681
You posted this in the fucking Arms thread. Stop linking this.
>>
>>377353078
>Direct
Direct are the embodiment of "preaching to the choir".
The only people who watch Directs are nintendorks or shitposters on /v/, real people don't even know what a Nintendo Direct is.
>>
>>377350398
>IT GETS GOOD 10 HOURS IN

It needs to be good, throughout.
W101 is only Meh even after your 10 hours.
>>
>>377340043
Multiplayer engagement.

Splatoon had team-based multiplayer. This got people talking with each other. People talking with each other got more people visibly engaged, which meant that even more people became interested and joined into the conversation. The whole situation became what was effectively an ad campaign, which caused a lot of people to buy the game and start playing. Nintendo's multiplayer events also effectively kept people interested and playing, both to see what the next event was, and to discuss the story (as it was).

Wonderful 101, by contrast, mostly focused on individuals and online Youtube tutorials explaining how to play the game. Discussion about W101 mostly revolved around how to play the game, and so was mostly of interest to people already playing. People who didn't play just found a lot of useless information. Plus, there was quite a large barrier of entry: I considered playing through the game and completing it the first time to effectively be the "tutorial", with replaying and other difficulties being where you get into the meat of the game, while most people just stopped there. As such, it was offputting to a lot of people and didn't work at drawing people in.

ARMS is closer to Splatoon, although you are spending less time in a team-focused mode and so there is less need to communicate with groups of people in online message boards. It might not take off as well as Splatoon did, although a strong Splatoon encouraging people to buy Switch online will help ARMS to stay alive.
>>
People actually bought a switch is the difference I think
>>
>>377340291
See I own the game and I didn't even know.
>>
>>377356295
Neither W101 nor Splatoon has been released on the Switch yet, so it's fairly difficult to say that Switch sales made any difference.
>>
Tell that to Rhythm heaven after DS
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.