[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: why did Metroid: Other M get so much critical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: otherm.png (387KB, 989x538px) Image search: [Google]
otherm.png
387KB, 989x538px
Serious question: why did Metroid: Other M get so much critical praise when it came out? If you look at the professional reviews it got, it was basically 8s and 8.5s across the board. In fact, I would say it took at least a year or two before people started really criticizing it, and even then it had a hoard of defenders (some even still persist to this day). Why did people praise it so much? Was it denial? Did people not want to admit Nintendo made a shitty Metroid game?
>>
>>377319257
>Why is everyone but me wrong?
They're not.
>>
>>377319257
>why did Metroid: Other M get so much critical praise when it came out?
Mainstream critics literally do not care at all about story or writing in video games. Pic related.
>>
the initial reaction was positive for its novelty, it wasnt until the game was played more thorough that all of its bullshit was properly exposed
>>
File: 1488460183062.jpg (428KB, 1273x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1488460183062.jpg
428KB, 1273x1800px
>>377319257
do you remember the time when game journalist gave a Legend of Zelda game an average score of 8?

it was fucking massacre. death threats and all.

Now, as a default and scared for the safety of their lives, they give Nintendo games a high score in reviews.

That's why Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets a 10/10 when its just a 5/10 open world game
>>
A lot of people were pleased with having a 3D Metroid that wasn't first person especially since around the second half of the last decade there was actually a pretty notable bias against first person games from a lot of Nintendo-only fanboys who were mad people bought other systems for Halo and CoD instead. Kind of a branch off from the whole patronizing "I only play mature games for mature gamers" meme. Most criticized the story but handwaved it with "story isn't important".

Then they started realizing the actual heavy gameplay flaws down the road and we didn't get any new games and it was clear the issues many took with Other M led to Nintendo's indecision on what to do with the series.
>>
>>377320274
THIS. SO MUCH SEETHING HATE, THIS.

The assfaggots that defend Nintendo are partly to blame for the games going to pot.
>>
>Professional reviews
They're glorified advertisements. You're a grade A moron if you actually take any review seriously.
>>
>>377319257
>In fact, I would say it took at least a year or two before people started really criticizing it, and even then it had a hoard of defenders (some even still persist to this day).

I observed differently. The game's cinemas were leaked before launch, and there was a large backlash, especially here, that helped lead me to drop my preorder, and I was thankful for that. Since then, anywhere I went, save for outliers like MovieBob or Nintendo specific sites, the feedback on Other M has been negative.

Unless you're only talking about critical response from games media, in which case who cares.
>>
>>377319257
You don't know how to read review scores. A 9 means the developer paid up and the game is passable 8.5-8.8 means the developer paid up but the game is complete dogshit. 7 means the developer did not pay up and the game was good. Anything less than that is unplayable garbage.
>>
>>377319257
Most issues with the game are story related or deeper gameplay issues. Reviewers didn't really call out the story issues because they either didn't care about the story, didn't really follow Metroid so the story seemed serviceable enough, or just looked for major points (female protagonist, mystery, traitor) and chucked it up as good. The gameplay issues don't really become too prevalent until you've played a lot or if you've played other Metroids a lot, which, again, the reviewers probably didn't.
>>
>>377321752
>MovieBob
His Heavens to Metroid videos are pure gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc4h8hNYev0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVDy1zpwLg
>>
>>377322362
>actually liking MovieBob

Die in a ditch.
>>
File: 1493234455637.jpg (114KB, 500x678px) Image search: [Google]
1493234455637.jpg
114KB, 500x678px
>>377320274
>its just a 5/10 open world game
Everytime kek. Nice opinion too bad most people that played it disagree.
>>
File: 1491546760659.png (354KB, 725x684px) Image search: [Google]
1491546760659.png
354KB, 725x684px
Because critics like easy games and OM is press d-pad to not die levels of difficulty.
>>
>>377322934
>thinks he's not laughing at him
Autism.
>>
>>377319257
it was wii era, any gap in shovelware was apparently 8/10 - worthy to reviewers: see imagine babies
>>
I liked OM. What am I missing here?
It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't horrible. It was something different and it was fun. Missile thing was kind of dumb, and the reliance on SM enemies...but other than that, it was fresh and entertaining. Like a 7/10
>>
The gaming press praises everything that isn't outright broken. Madworld was three hours long and had really simplistic combat and got, like, a 9 from IGN despite being a massive step down from God Hand.
>>
>>377323983
Madworld. Where the only color was blood...never beat the game. I think I traded it in after playing it for...30 minutes total. What a silly game
>>
>>377319257
Same reason everyone was giving The Phantom Menace high praise when it came out
>>
>>377319257
> why did Metroid: Other M get so much critical praise when it came out?

it didn't

just because you cherrypicked a review doesn't mean that was the general opinion
>>
>>377319257
>professional gaming reviews
Mystery solved.
>>
>>377319257
paid reviews

simple as that.

Anyone with a functioning brain knows that this game is complete shit.
>>
When the game leaves you alone like a normal Metroid, it's actually decent and the music is well integrated. I just wish the whole game was like that.
>>
>>377324468
>complete shit
Explain how. I enjoyed the game (not as much as the other games in the series, with Prime #1 as my favorite followed by SM), but what about it made you hate it?
>>
Because nobody but autistic metroidfags cared about the canon.
>>
It's their fucking job. No matter what you think, they want clicks. They'll obviously confirm what their readers want to read. People who give games low scores might attract angry fanboys once but the more people you piss off the less people will overall visit your sites. When gamereviewers see that the public opinion changes they give games scores to confirm that. Like that 3DS piece of shit.
>>
>>377324993

story was garbage and in your face
graphics and music were uninspired
zero exploration. Trying to explore results in a softlock.
bad gameplay. 3d movement with a dpad is terrible. dodging is broken.

It's just a bad game all around.
>>
>>377320274
>That's why Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets a 10/10 when its just a 5/10 open world game
Yes goy- I mean fellow gamer, we must show the Nintendo infidels the power of Horizon.
>>
>>377326024
>story was garbage and in your face
I guess. That's your opinion. I enjoyed the story. It was stupid for Samus to continue to ask to use her powers, but that is a somewhat better explanation than "oh gee! I got my suit blowns up again! TEE HEE"
>graphics and music were uninspired
The music was very similar to previous games, so yes, it was uninspired. Graphics were okay, I didn't mind them.
>zero exploration
Well, this is 100% correct. It was linear
>bad gameplay. 3d movement with a dpad is terrible. dodging is broken
Controls were wonky, and yes, 3D movement with a dpad is bad.

It was a flawed game, and if you feel it was bad, then fine. Thank you for your argument. I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. It was okay, but certainly the worst in the series for me...or maybe Echoes. I'm not sure
>>
>>377327949

>The music was very similar to previous games
I think you have a deaf ear anon. The only thing memorable about Other M's music was a decent Ridley remix. Every other Metroid game since Super has had a stellar soundtrack.
>>
>>377319257
Video game "journalists" are shit; that is really all it is.
>>
>>377322362
The man is so insane that he's actually triggered by a first person perspective in a video game.
>>
>>377328241
>every other Metroid game since Super has had a stellar soundtrack
I'm going to disagree with you on that one. Echoes had a remixing of Prime, and it sounded...blegh. Not a fan.
Plus, I was just trying to agree with the comment that the music was "uninspired." Mine was a poorly written response
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.