[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently decided to pick this game back up after having dropped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: demifiend1.jpg (461KB, 1517x1017px) Image search: [Google]
demifiend1.jpg
461KB, 1517x1017px
I recently decided to pick this game back up after having dropped it a long while back due to getting lost in the Underpass of Ginza and having played and beaten all the other western-released mainline titles.

I'm enjoying it a lot, but I've got to admit that the excellence of this game feels overblown. I'm already at the point where everyone has spouted their reason at me and yet I feel as though I've been barely challenged by the game at all. I haven't died once to any boss-encounter, for example, and it the plot (although not the main selling point, I'm aware) feels as though it has large chunks cut out of it. Take meeting Chiaki at the Mantra HQ as an example - you meet her once prior to this, in which she's talking about trying to find everyone else, and then suddenly she's talking about how she's decided to find her reason - it's pretty jarring.

What I want to ask is this: what am I missing? Does the game escalate to greatness later on? Am I simply unimpressed since this isn't the first mainline game I've played to completion?
>>
Stop ignoring my thread to shitpost, you faggots. I have to know.
>>
>>377316038
who's that cutey on the right with the lewd leather outfit
>>
>>377316801
That is an angel.
>>
>>377316962
damn, then i hope she doesn't mind me being her demon ;)
>>
>>377317094
As long as you don't mind being weak to her instant death spell which will always hit since you're weak to it.
>>
>>377317094
>damn, then i hope she doesn't mind me being her demon ;)
Why do you hurt me with your shitty posts, anon?
>>
File: 1466415517166.jpg (47KB, 500x596px) Image search: [Google]
1466415517166.jpg
47KB, 500x596px
>>377316038
>the world will never go to shit like in nocturne
>you will never be THE Demi-fiend
>>
>>377317387
im just helping this dude out with his thread, im playing Persona 3 so I know like 0% of what SMT games have to offer.

Garu is pretty good though, I wish Angel could learn ZIo too though
>>
>>377316038
I honestly find most of the demon-y Atlus games to be like this. I like the Persona series, but I think a lot of that has to do with liking the balance between story and gameplay and waiting for the CRAZY TWIST. In and of itself, the game isn't really *flawed* per say, just kind of standard fare. I'm honestly disappointed that P5 didn't have a super secret true ending. The only modern SMT game I haven't touched yet is SMTIV, but I got the same feelings for all the others.
>>
>>377317615
I like Apocalypse's writing honestly. The gods raise some really valid points

SMT I's story kinda falls apart after the timeskip, buf the beginning to Thorman is fucking bonkers
>>
>>377317615
It's odd, I'm a HUGE fan of SJ - I love everything about it in a big way, including its dungeon-crawling elements, and yet Nocturne fails to capture that same feeling in me, even though they are quite similar in a lot of ways. I will say that Nocturne has some superb boss-battles, design wise. The fiend fights are always highlights, for example, but it feels as though there is something fundamentally missing from the experience. - I can't even imagine what the game was like in its initial release without the Labyrinth of Amala explaining some of the more obscure stuff to you.
>>
>>377317862
I find the writing to be a least decent in every case.
I think the older SMT stuff had a bit more uniqueness to their stories though. I feel like the past like 10 games (including spinoffs) have had more or less the same story, just using different symbolism.
>>
>>377318436
Dunno, could be the balance feels off. I always liked P3 because whenever I got tired of Social Links, it was the perfect time to grind and whenever I got tired of grinding, it was the perfect time for Social Links. Non-persona games I had to just take a break every so often so I wouldn't burn out.
>>
>>377316038
I did the same thing as you, played it aftet P5 and I feel exactly the same way. It's like how old ps2 games were cryptic and didnt explain strories well (or hold you hand through the story). Nowadays games have narratives that are made like movies. The cutscenes in this are like old Resident Evil or Silent Hill, its tough to understand the plot unless you read lore and get supplemental materials online. I mean, the game is extremely fun, but as soon as I got to the white room cutscene with Chiaki I was the same as you, scratching my head asking what the hell. Ending scenes are the same, it makes you wonder why all your "friends" went so crazy. The plot seems more explained through the optional amala dungeon than the actual storyline.
>>
>>377319030
DDS1 and 2, P3, P4 all have much better cutscenes/story on PS2 from Atlus. I haven't played aspect raidou so I can't comment on that one.
>>
>>377317413
Nocturne's world is decent all things considered.

>freedom to do whatever you want
>no need to worry about food sources
>if you can defend your beliefs, they're seen as valid.
>Kagutsuchi gets you high

I wouldn't call it cozy, but a at least it's straightforward.
>>
>>377316038
I want to hug that angel on the right.
>>
>>377320692
i want to recue her but also cop a feel while she's unconscious!
>>
>>377318436
I feel like the opposite, SJ never really did much for me and I can't get the massive praise for it that's popped up in recent years. I wonder if it's been retroactively propped up to some degree because it's likely Kaneko's last game at this point. You're right about Nocturne though, it really doesn't make you care about the characters or their ideologies at all. Not that SMT has ever really been good about it, but it shouldn't get a free pass.
>>
>>377319975
The arid desert is huge minus, though.
>>
>>377321018
I think what SJ sold me on was a game that captured that sort of slow-burn existential horror that's frequently found in Sci-Fi horror films like the Thing. (Hell, the fact that it's set in Antarctica is not a coincidence.)

The feeling of playing just some trained schmuck being completely lost in an alien landscape with no sign of escape just drew me to it immediately.

I'm also a sucker for when games use a fairly mundane game feature and use it to make a moment feel more special. So when Arthur does his whole speech about how he's going to issue you your final mission I feel for it hook-line-and-sinker.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.