[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I was a kid, Wind Waker was the first Zelda game I got into,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: 20170518_021629.jpg (747KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_021629.jpg
747KB, 2048x1152px
When I was a kid, Wind Waker was the first Zelda game I got into, despite growing up with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask being what they were. I rented Ocarina when I was 6 but I turned on the game, loaded a save file, got face raped by a Redead, and got scared.

Anyway, one thing that really sticks out in my mind about Wind Waker is the sense of scope and adventure, of course, but when you hit the edge of the map...

King of Red Lions says something ominous about the ocean getting dangerous and uncharted beyond that point. My curious and overactive 11-year-old mind always imagined the other worlds and kingdoms out there. Different Islands, different creatures... different adventures. I would write stories about Link traveling to these other lands and the things he'd do and people he'd meet (technically fanfiction but I kept them in my own notebook and they were short with some crude sketches). Despite all its flaws, Wind Waker remained my favorite Zelda game (and game in general) long after.

Until Breath of the Wild came out.

Twilight Princess didn't do it, and Skyward Sword didn't do it, but playing BotW, about 100 hours in, I realized that I was basically living the stories I'd imagined and dreamt of as a kid. Link going on huge adventures beyond the sea.

But then I realized something else. I hit the edge of the map, and saw the huge, insurmountable clifface, and my mind sparked: what is beyond there? What's up there? A city? A castle? A monster? An ocean?

Looking up there invokes in me the same feeling I had as a kid, only I'd lost and forgotten since growing up. I'm 24 now. Kind of jaded. Kind of grumpy. But seeing that cliff... and imagining what else could be out there...I don't know, kind of gives me a good feeling.

Like there's always more than what we're doing now.

Anyway, sorry for the personal blog post. Just felt like sharing.
>>
>>377283169
Yeah, personally I really wonder what's up with those twin islands off in the sea. I tried boating there thinking it was going to be some neat Eventide-like unique event but turns out you can't reach them. It'd be neat if the final DLC unlocked at least part of those off limit sections put I doubt it.
>>
>>377283169
Did WW have the edge of the map ?
I remember the world being round.
>>
File: Dam_Island.png (27KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Dam_Island.png
27KB, 160x120px
know the feel
>>
>>377284651
If you went too far in any one direction the King of Red Lion would tell you "it's not safe out there we should held back" and automatically 180 away from the edge.
>>
>>377284964
well shit
>>
Can't say I've ever experienced that sort of starry-eyed wanderlust, which is probably why I don't really like BotW. I've always liked this series for its fun level design and in that light it's Twilight Princess that always did it for me. Simple as its dungeons ultimately are, they really had fun with them conceptually. Walking up walls via magnetism, swinging on a rope made of monkeys, traversing suspended tracks over sand pits, snowboarding against a yeti, basically being Spiderman in a city in the clouds, you just did a lot of cool shit in Twilight Princess. Always liked doing things more than wandering about.
>>
>>377283169
Nice for you, mate, starting with BOTW after finishing Persona 5, any tips for the game?
>>
File: awesome-nature-5.jpg (150KB, 920x517px) Image search: [Google]
awesome-nature-5.jpg
150KB, 920x517px
>>377283169
This is exactly how I felt when I first played Banjo Kazooie. The game manual that it came with had little pictures and a short description of the different worlds, and I can remember getting excited about finding and exploring them.
>>
>>377285094
I wonder if there's any coorelation between being left brained or right brained? I imagine a left brain would enjoy exploring and wandering and imagining and a right brain would enjoy clever problem solving, objective-based goals and logic puzzles.

In any case, I think that's what makes the series have such widespread and lasting appeal - it does both really well.

Just gotta get it to do both at the same time more often now. Hah.
>>
>>377285206
Take your time. This game was meant to be soaked in. If you find yourself thinking "I wonder what's over there?" Go the fuck over there. Your main objectives will always be there later.

Story wise I am halfway through but 100 hours in. I have a buddy though who had his fill and beat it in 50 hours. Further still I know some people who have not tackled their first dungeon (Divine Beast) yet and are pushing 100 hours themselves.

It's great - hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>377283169
I thought Wind Waker was dumb as a kid.

But I can kind of relate in the sense that in earlier 3D games, I remember yearning for there to be more beyond the playable bounds of the map, as if there was a whole world in the skybox and it wasn't just a flat image. Had a fascination with various out-of-bounds and no-clip cheats thinking you'd be able to discover entire new worlds.

The funny part was that it kind of ended up being true in Metroid Prime for the first time.
>>
File: IcoBeach1.jpg (151KB, 754x445px) Image search: [Google]
IcoBeach1.jpg
151KB, 754x445px
>>377283169
Made me think of my first playthrough in SotC. There weren't even any common mob enemies, so you'd really have to be a turboautist to explore every nook and cranny of the game. This was back when datamining a console game was actually sort of difficult, so it didn't happen immediately. In SotC you could get to this beach that's supposed to be an easter egg referencing ICO. And if I remember right, it was located in a pretty out-of-the-way area, far from any actual boss fight locations. But the game doesn't bring you that close to the ocean anywhere else on its fairly huge map (for PS2). When I discovered it by accident as a teen, I just left the game running and sort of stared out at the ocean.
There's too much information to be found at your immediate disposal to make any vidya discoveries truly gratifying, but every once in a while I break through that jaded facade of "I can't feel anything genuinely, everything has to have an ironic tinge", and I remember that the best games feature stories the player makes for themselves.
>>
>>377285498
I think it's our innate urge to explore and discover. It's why our ancestors were nomads, then sailors, then pioneers, and now we're astronauts, thinking about leaving our planet.

It manifests for us in this unique way because we play vidya.

Pretty interesting, really.
>>
>>377284772
DELETE THIS
>>
>>377285206
Remember the basics of octoballoons. Will save you a lot of weapon durability (stasis is not always the most cost efficient solutions).

Also hearty food a best.
>>
>>377284964
it's because the earth is flat and the king doesn't want you to know

it's a metaphor for our current world government
>>
>>377285451
Thanks, any particular order to the Beasts?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>377285742
This.

>king of red lions
>king
>monarchy
>monarch
>project monarch
>mind control
>MK ultra
>illuminati

You wonder what the capstone of the all seing eye pyramid is? Look again. On the back of a $1 bill? A hidden Triforce.
>>
>>377285897
I think best is Ruto, Zora, Goron, Gerudo.

Opinions vary, but generally people say Ruto is easiest and Gerudo is most difficult. It's all up to you though.
>>
>>377285910
huh
>>
>>377285897
Do Rito first, it's the most disappointing and its power is hella useful early game when you're still low on stamina. Save Gerudo for last, its power is fucking OP and ruins most fights.
>>
>>377285910
we're on to something here, get /x/ over here ASAP
>>
>>377283169
I got the exact feeling when exploring the Gerudo Dessert.

>could see an ocean sprawling from the hills
>try to go over there but the winds too strong
>>
Would other kingdoms and nations border Hyrule?
>>
File: Master_Sword_in_the_Lost_Woods.png (1013KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Master_Sword_in_the_Lost_Woods.png
1013KB, 1024x768px
>>377286136
Just the tip of the iceberg friendo
> Master Sword
> Top rank in Freemasonry is Grand Master
> Bible calls the Word of God "a sword"
>The Master (leader of New World Order) takes the sword (The word of God) and uses it to kill those who are unclean (the masses)
>>
>>377286285
canonically hyrule is south of france
>>
>>377286285
I think Hyrule is both a world and a kingdom, isn't it?

I know there's the creation story but also the race descendant from the gods established the kingdom.
>>
>>377286285
zelda canon is so fucked that no one knows. Supposedly some other countries border it. I could have sworn their was some game that named one or two of these but its not coming to mind. Could be wand of gamelon though
>>
>>377286518
Yeah Ive always liked that idea of Hyrule existing in kind of its own place. I think literally every time we've been to another kingdom, Link has been teleported to another world.

Hyrule works as this kind of dreamspace crafted by the gods. At least that's how I've come to think of it.
>>
File: secret of mana world map.png (992KB, 4098x4098px) Image search: [Google]
secret of mana world map.png
992KB, 4098x4098px
>>377283169
Anyway, one thing that really sticks out in my mind about Wind Waker is the sense of scope and adventure, of course, but when you hit the edge of the map....

Try Secret of Mana. It's better than BotW and WW, and is fucking huge in scope.
>>
>>377286437
cucks will ignore this
>>
>>377284772
Nintendo power stated that it would just be a place to get ammo.

Also, the Spyder in the manual is a KLOBB.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.