[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you judge an action game on? The common occurrence here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: Best DMC.jpg (50KB, 279x397px)
Best DMC.jpg
50KB, 279x397px
What do you judge an action game on? The common occurrence here appears to be on purely how well you can combo/juggle enemies. Is that truly what makes them great?

Because DMC1 doesn't fall into this category, it's constantly getting parroted as "dated & clunky". Friendly reminder to stop this meme.
>>
>>377259540
combos for me.
>>
File: 1493664173408.gif (1MB, 400x286px)
1493664173408.gif
1MB, 400x286px
The first DMC is still my favorite.
>>
Hard to say, if the game got a DMC style going on then i'll certainly prefer something with a good variety of combo-able moves and a good scoring system
My favorite action game however is Kid Icarus Uprising and that game is entirely its own beast
>>
File: Godhand_5a.jpg (22KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Godhand_5a.jpg
22KB, 640x480px
>>377259807
Wait what the fuck am i saying? God Hand is my favorite
Watching Legend of The Galactic Heroes while drinking whine leads to this
Fuck
>>
I judge it by the same metric of every other video game; how much fun I am having.
>>
>>377259891
*wine
I should call it a day
>>
It needs passive enemies that serve as punching bags, a grading meter that gives you a pat on the back saying "good job, old sport!" like the father you never had and throw in tons of qte and cutscenes if it's a more modern game.
>>
>>377259540
I wouldnt say its "dated and clunky"
Certainly the graphics dont hold up as well as 3 or 4 (which to me blows my mind to this day, how the fuck did they do it?)
But the gameplay is no "clunky" in any way shape or form.
I would say its much simpler than 3 and 4, and maybe stylish-hack-n-slash games now, but its still very enjoyable.

I can see it being people's favorite but imo 3 is the overall best game of the franchise, with 4 having the best gamplay mechanics and 1 having the best atmosphere.

DMC1 has that "first game" feel, its really nice and cool to see all the resident evil splattered in it. Its truly a piece of history and a great game.
I played it for the first time with the HD collection and loved it
>>
>>377259971
Is LotGH as good as they say or is it another case of an animu that is so fucking long and full of itself that the only people who can make it all the way through shitpost about how great it is, when in reality is just wasted potential and pretentious bullshit?

Like Monster. That show turned to shit and faggots STILL say its one of the best ever
>>
>>377260224
I don't... I'm just 20 episodes in, i'm enjoying it but i can definitively see it not being everyone's cup of tea
I will praise the fuck out of "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" though, it's a prologue movie and only a hour long, so if you're curious i say give this movie a shot
>>
File: Sin Scissors.jpg (83KB, 517x522px) Image search: [Google]
Sin Scissors.jpg
83KB, 517x522px
>>377260047
It's definitely simpler, no argument there, but I feel there's still room for these kinds of games, which I feel some people just don't seem to understand. I myself enjoy a more methodical combat system over memorization of a movelist with 20 inputs a second to do my sicknasty combos. I go back and replay DMC1 every few months to this day, the only thing I really get fucked up on is how aggressive the enemies are, but the game itself is more reaction based. If I want to replay DMC3, i'm going to suck ass in perspective to the game until I start getting a feel for the movelist again.
>>
>>377260679
Yeah no im not defending "preset" combos as it where.
I love the dmc games because you can chain different attacks and it becomes a combo, its not like there is 1 COMBO that the game wants you to do (if that makes any sense)

Honestly i loved dmc1, but the simpler combat does make it less replayable for me.
And god fucking damn it i hate those fucking dogs, they are just shit, they take forever to kill.

They just dont make them like dmc1 anymore tho, even with platinum games, which i enjoy, the world is always so fucking barren and with little detail, thats one of dmc1's strongest points, everything looks finely crafted.
enviroment detail is one of the forgotten pillars of modern gaming and i fucking hate that
>>
>>377259540
>Should a game genre be judged by its game mechanic
You are a fucking retard
>>
File: Critical hit.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Critical hit.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>377261024
Yeah, fuck the nobodies. One of the few enemies I say fuck it and just try to cheese as quickly as possible with stinger/vortex.

That's something I really do like about DMC1 though. You CAN cheese shit quickly. Like the ghost fuckers, you can just walk up in their space and pop a single bullet into their mask for a critical hit.

>>377261323
>Action games are only about combos
This is exactly what I was getting at, you're the retard here kiddo.
>>
Combos themselves are overrated as fuck. Since it's ACTION, it's all about visceral intensity. All of Capcom/Platinum games don't feel all that visceral but maybe sometimes intense. Something like God Of War feels visceral but not that intense.

This is why Ninja Gaiden is imo the best, both old and new.
>>
>>377261589
eh i dont really like ninja gaiden

Visceral intensity is a choice, an angle, not somthing that makes a game intrinsically good

There are plenty of "visceral" games that are fucking shit
Also just fucking go and try to defend the shitty camera, that is just inexcusable
>>
>>377261589
Glad someone gets it, and agree completely. This is why NG friends have my full support for shitting up DMC3 threads for being the "pinnacle of action games".
>>
File: 1478022927528.jpg (61KB, 592x443px) Image search: [Google]
1478022927528.jpg
61KB, 592x443px
>>377259540
- How tactile and generally satisfying it feels to beat enemies (Sound, Animation, Controls)
- How interesting and engaging the enemies are (AI, designs)
- How deliberate and observant the level design is (this is secretly the most important aspect)

This applies to all action games without exception
>>
>>377261926
The level design in dmc3 and 4 is total garbage. They better not be the standard for level design.
>>
>>377261831
An action game that's not exhilarating in any way at all is not good at being an action game. It is what makes the action genre so unique in its ability to deliver a particular experience.

There's nothing wrong with liking games for their visceral flavor that they bring. A lot of them are equivalents of punk rock in music in that it's no classical music in terms of melodic/harmonic progression but it brings a level of energy that classical will never be able to bring.

I wouldn't defend the camera, but a lot of different parts of the game have ways to circumvent this problem, and its minor compared to games like DMC and GoW only getting part of the action game genre right.

>>377261926
>How deliberate and observant the level design is (this is secretly the most important aspect)
You posted God Hand though...most of the game's horizontal as fuck just like the typical DMC3 type game. No vertical in design.
>>
File: Dullahan.gif (95KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
Dullahan.gif
95KB, 600x462px
>>377261926
DMC1 ticks all these, though some people will surely argue about the combat because it's part of the same series that's supposedly "grown" or evolved into something entirely new. DMC3/4 has the first in spades of course, but the other 2 points are sorely lacking, especially in level design.
>>
>>377262469
>DMC is not exhilarating
oh shut the fuck up

Its okay if you like NG more than DMC, but just shut the fuck up, you come across as an elitist faggot
>>
>>377262901
It's not though. Like I said, it's intense, but not visceral. When you attack stuff, it doesn't really feel like you're doing much to them. Instead it's more that anime feel where everything's super fast paced but there's no weight to anything.
>>
>>377259540
>What do you judge an action game on?

Movesets and playstyles are important as well as fluidity
>>
>>377263036
I can tell which DMCs you're talking about specifically, but what are your thoughts on the first? More of the same, or?
>>
>>377263036
>d but there's no weight to anything.
This only applies to DMC2
>>
>>377263625
It's not hard to understand what he's getting at though. You don't exactly feel a sense of POWER when you're expected to wail on enemies with overinflated health pools. You don't feel like you're taking chunks out of an enemy an fucking them up, just that you're going crazy with pin needles instead.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.