[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I haven't played EQ in over 14 years, and I played WoWuntil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: EQ.jpg (131KB, 600x712px) Image search: [Google]
EQ.jpg
131KB, 600x712px
I haven't played EQ in over 14 years, and I played WoWuntil around 2007. I found out tonight that EQ is now free to play, so I downloaded it just mainly for nostalgia's sake, but quite a bit has changed and I am asking you, /v/, is it still worth it for anything more than a trip down memory lane?
Has the new parent company just changed it into some micro-purchasing, vacuum-sucks that most apps are nowadays,
>>
>>377196240
Uhh probably. Worth checking out rite
>>
>>377196319
That's sort of what I'm thinking too, I just don't want to get drawn in and then they hit you with required purchases.
Also, I'm wondering if the gameplay still holds up the way it did back than...
>>
>>377196696
Then*
>>
16 year EQ veteran here. Short answer is no.

Long answer:
EQ is topheavy as fuck in terms of population, and is in moderate need of server mergers on the live servers.
Additionally, it has a complete shit tier F2P system that hasnt been modified in almost 7 years. You are allowed to enter most of the game's zones, but the archaic AA and equipment restrictions basically mean you will be a garbage player if you remain f2p, especially as a tank or healer. Current restrictions include
>the "prestige" item tag that only allows subscribed players to use it. includes all raid equipment, some high tier group gear, and almost every group/raid augmentation issued in 10+ years
>1000 Alternate Advancement point cap (current players have around 15-20x that amount, depending on class)

Even their sister game EQ2 allows you to be viable as a free player, allowing you access and itemization/character building up to just before the current expansion.

As a trial, it could be fine if you are willing to suffer through it, but the game is meant to be paid for.

as an aside, If you want to do a nostalgia run, they're doing a new server soon where they start at classic and release expansions every 3 months, eventually stopping releases at LDoN. its not my cup of tea, and those servers are pay to play anyway, but its there.
>>
>>377196884
Damn! Thank you so much, exactly the type of feedback I was looking for
>>
>>377196884
Don't forget that there are three separate ranks of spells now and you'll only be able to use the rk. I version as F2P.

>>377196240
Honestly, outside of nostalgia the game really doesn't have anything going for it. It has been surpassed in literally every way by its successors in the genre. The problem is that it's still pretty much limited by the technology of the era it was released in and the game most likely isn't as interesting as you remember it being. At least, that's the way it was for me. It's a mind-numbingly dull and clunky relic of a bygone age.

Also, if you're free to play, you likely won't be grouping with anyone for the first month or so of grinding, and that's assuming you're grinding hard every single day. Nobody plays this game for any of the content under max level and the exp rate grinds to a halt around level 70.

If you feel like paying real money, they're starting a new "classic" server in a few days where there actually will be a ton of people playing. Depending on the type of person you are, you might really enjoy it or you might get bored just as quickly. If you're playing for nostalgia's sake, I suggest you start there.
>>
>>377196240
Agnarr releases in a couple of days, time locked progression up to planes of power i believe. This will be super busy and loads of people starting up again for that 'classic' feel. However lots of things wont be truely classic and if you're looking for vanilla you should consider project 99. (p99 has its own problems but its the best version of 'hardcore' eq around).
>>
>>377197630
i dont like P99, because i found kunark and velious content to be boring as hell after enough time. The sad reality tho is that no one is going to stick around for imo best content EQ has had (Depths of Darkhollow through Secrets of Faydwer) and even if they did, all of the mystery and challenge is gone from the game. Phinigel server in Luclin and PoP were so piss easy that it made me long for the challenge of FFXIV.
>>
Thank you again, all of you for the input, my credit card is staying in my wallet. Is EQ2 maybe worth it?
When that came out I was into CoH and Warcraft by that point...
>>
>>377198596

I've actually been wondering this myself lately. I haven't played EQ2 since it came out and have been thinking about checking it out again.
>>
>>377196240
You can play free with subscription benefits on the test server. If you just want a trip down memory lane, especially if you are going to box, just play test.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.