[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into Ys series. I want to play all of them. Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: ys-I-and-II-chronicles.jpg (350KB, 720x450px) Image search: [Google]
ys-I-and-II-chronicles.jpg
350KB, 720x450px
I want to get into Ys series. I want to play all of them. Is Ys I & II Chronicles+ on Steam the best place to start? Some of the games have more than 1 version.
>>
>>377180661
Celceta is the weakest. Any others are fine.
>>
>>377181003
But am I right in playing Ys I & II Chronicles+ as definitive versions for the first two games?
>>
>>377181146
Doesn't really matter, the first two are fine.
>>
Go play Rance VI instead.
>>
Origins and The Oath In Felghana are the ones you want to play. Oath in particular is an ARPG masterpiece, but I would recommend Origins first because it's easier. Fuck I and II.
>>
>>377180661
I like the TurboGrafx-CD versions better but that's probably due to my nostalgia for it

The remakes on Steam are pretty damn good

Get Ys Origins too anon, it's damn good as well
>>
I and II are still solid games, but you're going to have to get used to the outdated bump combat, which isn't bad, but pretty obsolete.

Oath in Felghana is a remake of Ys III with a combat system like what later Ys games are known for.

IV and V are lost to time and pretty forgettable, I think V got a ps2 remake for nippon only.

VI (Ark) is fantastic, and pretty much like oath.

VII is good, but is the start of the "casual" nu Ys trend.

I haven't played celceta yet, but I'd imagine it's much like VII.

Then you have Origins, which is a prequel to Adol's story, and plays like ark/oath.
>>
>>377181736
Thanks man.
>>
>>377180661

Start with Oath or Origins then play Chronicles. Already having a liking for Ys can help you not give up on I & II while you get used to bumper cars; the combat is loads of fun once you get used to it, though. God tier overworld theme in I, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HplgXxaKu5c
>>
>>377182056
>the combat is loads of fun once you get used to it

Nah, it's always shit. Boss battles are fun though, aside from Dark Fact.
>>
>>377181736
If I may expand on this I'd say start with I and II on steam or Ark of Napishtim because it's less refined compared to the other games that use the same engine.
>>
File: download (9).jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (9).jpg
10KB, 300x168px
>>377182056
I'd have to disagree on that. I played ark first, then tried I and damn near gave up in frustration fighting this cocksucker. For awhile I was convinced beating him was up to sheer luck. At least in active combat Ys you have more control over your attacks.
>>
>>377182243
I honestly think the bumper car combat is fun in II when supplemented with magic.
>>377182650
Now imagine playing on Nightmare difficulty
>>
>>377181736
iv and v got fan translations a few years ago

and iv was remade for the vita
>>
>>377182650
Dark Fact and the vampire bat were definitely my least favorite fights in that game.
>>
>>377180661
Just remember that you don't have to like I and II. If you just hate the combat, move on. Read a plot summary and skip to origins or Nephtalihim or however you spell it.
>>
>>377180661
>I want to play all of them

Then the order doesn't matter, retard.
>>
>>377180661
First two have a weird battle system compared to most modern games. You basically run into your enemies slightly off-center in order to attack them. There is not actual attack button (though the second game introduces magic, which gives you a fireball attack).

Honestly, I think Origin or Oath in Felghana are better places to start.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.