[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Disgaea 5 Complete >Sells 20,000 copies in Japan, has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 003.jpg (367KB, 800x1038px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
367KB, 800x1038px
>Disgaea 5 Complete
>Sells 20,000 copies in Japan, has 110,000 in preorders in the west
>>"The era is over for [Japanese games companies] to just rely on the Japanese market. The Japanese video game market is getting smaller. If you look at the recent Tokyo Game Show, you do not feel the momentum that it used to have until five years ago. The Japanese video game market share might be now less than 30 per cent of the world, while I think the western market share accounts for around 70 per cent. Therefore, Japanese games companies need to focus more on the Western market to expand their game business."

Meanwhile, the newest Neptunia game sold over 60,000 copies extremely quickly at its Japanese launch, more than the series has ever moved before in that time frame. Maybe next time NIS shouldn't port a shitty game that no one bought when it first released either, rather than blaming it all on the Japs.

Obviously western sales are going to be higher, but these games succeed in the west because they fill a niche that people want that they can't get elsewhere. If you try and homogenize your games into appealing to the west, you will please no one and will simply lose sales and interest in both markets. Neptunia has found a lot of success in the western market thanks to being a quirky Japanese series that knows it. Their development strategy hasn't changed, and they continue to stick to what they're good at and target the Japanese first. This satisfies both parties and sales reflect that. Meanwhile NIS can do nothing but complain about their consumers while talking once more about how they need to broaden appeals and scare away even more of the market they used to have.
>>
>>377155794
Anyone who wanted to play it already did.
>>
>>377156117
Which wasn't very many in the first place. The original version of the game sold a hilariously low 22,725 copies when it dropped on PS4 initially. That the Switch version came to match it is a surprise in and of itself.

This was of course following NIS stating the following before Disgaea 5's release:
>>What I can say now is we want Disgaea to appeal to a broader audience so we can expand our fanbase beyond the niche audience we have now. We are working on a story that can be enjoyed by a wider user base as well as different characters that will be enjoyed by them.

I wonder what could have possibly doomed them.
>>
>>377155794
>download Switch demo
>bottom of the barrel tier anime dub voices
>hey dood, I'm a penguin dood, dood, dood
>uninstall

Who the fuck is buying this game
>>
>>377156440
NIS is going to completely fail on following up on the game doing well on Switch, aren't they?
They need to follow how Nintendo started pushing Fire Emblem to hell and back after Awakening.
>>
>switch version sells more than ps4 version

hmmmmmmmm
>>
>>377156440
the story was the worst bit
never played the game before but i loved it, except for the endless dialogue. i tried my best but so much was fucking childish, pointless shite that for the second half of the game i just completely skipped it all.

its a shame, but it really was horrific. as the rest of the game i fucking loved
>>
>>377159025
It sold more on the Switch mostly because its a handheld console, and Disgaea being a grindy game feels more natural on that platform.

Also the Switch having very few games helped too.
>>
>>377159025
Other than the DS version, I don't think there's been a Disgaea game on a nintendo platform.

Other than the bastardised version of Rhapsody on DS and (of all things) Phantom Brave on the Wii, I can't remember them having any other NIS titles.
>>
>>377159657
Was that true for the PSP and Vita versions of the other games as well?
Seriously, I don't know how well they sold.
>>
>>377159509
It was babies first anime tier. The characters were horrendous. Immediately hated haughty gun girls as soon as she spoke. The game is still good though only if you hit triangle and skip literally every dialogue and story scene. I've been with this series since 1 released on the PS2 and I think this might be my last one. NIS is simply just dead and the whole "appeal to western audiences" is a load of bullshit. Underage high school weebs will buy shit regardless, just focus on making a good game instead of doing things that western audiences apparently like.
>>
>>377159956
According to VGChartz Disgaea 4 for the Vita sold about 150 thousand copies.

Disgaea 3 for the Vita sold considerably better at 270 thousand copies.

Compared to Disgaea 5 on the Ps4 they all sold a lot more, however Disgaea 2 sold well even on the PS2 wich is the only oddball here
>>
File: disgaea vglolz.png (26KB, 962x494px) Image search: [Google]
disgaea vglolz.png
26KB, 962x494px
>>377160562
Despite VGChartz not being a reputable source, why did you leave out that D4 sold 570 thousand copies on PS3 and D3 sold 530 thousand on PS3?
>>
>>377161075
oh snap you're right, i forgot about that, i didnt searched for all releases of D4 and D3 just their vita version.

But yeah so console versions did sell very well despite the game being grindy so its pretty surprising.

However i still stick to my point about handheld being a more inviting platform for grinding games.
>>
>>377161556
I understand that logic and it makes sense to me, but the numbers seem to suggest that people prefer to play Disgaea on their TVs. However, this does not account for factors that could impact sales such as
>Vita hardware sales compared to PS3 sales
>rampant PSP piracy
>some people not wanting to buy the same game about four years later despite extra content and portability
>>
File: images.png (7KB, 256x196px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
7KB, 256x196px
>>377160262
>not liking the best character in the game
Hmmmm...
>>
>>377161935
>extra content
afaik the Vita versions just came with all the DLC the home versions had as standard. I don't remember there being anything new added.
>>
>>377162228
My mistake. I was under the impression the portable versions had extra content for coming out four or five years after the console versions.
>>
>>377162228
>>377162483
All Disgaea handheld releases came with extra scenarios and content as well as mechanics changes all the way through Disgaea 4 Vita, not just the DLC. Disgaea 5 is the only one lazy enough to have absolutely nothing new to offer in its handheld release.
>>
I think it would have done better if they hadn't released it at launch with Zelda. I picked up a copy of the imported version at the beginning of April and the timing was great. I'm still playing it even after MK8 has come out.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.