[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's this game, /v/? Worth 322 pyб? I completed Hollow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 11

File: screen_fb.jpg (669KB, 1438x810px) Image search: [Google]
screen_fb.jpg
669KB, 1438x810px
How's this game, /v/? Worth 322 pyб?
I completed Hollow Knight recently, but I don't feel being burned out on metroidvanias yet.
inb4 shill
>>
>muh rogue/soulslike
Devs are faggots.
>>
>>377004902
How so?
>>
>>377005015
Marketing buzzwords
>>
>>377005076
Yeah, yeah, whatever. Forget about marketing. How is the game itself?
>>
>>377004209
>early acess
Replay Hollow Knight instead.
>>377005015
Have you read the description? It's buzzword after buzzword after buzzword. It's riding on them. Nothing original.
>>
been watching twitch streams of this game and it looks pretty fucking good to be honest family
>>
>early access
I would rather remove my own eyes with a spoon
>>
>>377005316
C'mon. Early Access isn't bad in itself. Games that don't come out of EA for years are.
>>
>>377005382
And I would rather not risk spending my money on a gamble
>>
>>377004209
Fuck off, shill.
>>
File: 1366981126994.jpg (317KB, 807x861px) Image search: [Google]
1366981126994.jpg
317KB, 807x861px
>Early Access
>Indie
>Metroidvania
>Pixel Graphics
>"rogue-lite"
>"souls-lite"
>early access

Yeah, nah
>>
>>377005440
Fair enough. I would like to hear more from people who did, and actually played the game though.
>>
>Still no critique of the game in its current thread whatsoever

Hoping like OP some decent individual decides to share his thoughts.
>>
I guess I'm the only one who's played it so far in this thread, and I certainly recommend it.
The flow of combat is fast, the movement is fluid, and the various weapons and abilities are really interesting to mix and match.
Currently favoring an electrowhip/ice blast/icegrenade/horizontal turret build.
>>
>>377005382
>>377004209
>>377005149
You can stop shilling your fucking game already.
>>
it's shit
>>
>>377006309
I wouldn't be asking if it's worth my hard earned rubles if it was my game.
>>
>rogue-lite
>metroidvania
>souls-like
No thanks
>>
>>377005186
>>377005558
It's getting really solid reviews, but even I can't deny how many goddamn buzzwords are in this game. Hollow Knight was a nice surprise, so I'm feeling optimistic, but fucking no one seems to be talking about this game here.

>>377006185
How persistent is each run? I know you get permanent unlocks, but it looks like the layout of the game changes every time you die? I'd prefer something more metroidvania than rouge-like, so if those elements are minimal than I'd be more inclined to jump in.
>>
I'll agree it's stuffed with "buzzwords" but they have their use and you know exactly what to expect in two sentences.

I don't consider rogue-lite and metroidvania to be buzzwords, they really are just genre descriptors, I suppose what pisses people off these days is the "souls-like combat", which to me really only means unforgiving, slower paced, hard-hitting, defense-heavy combat. Which is what I like. I hate the term aswell but it's self explanatory.
>>
>>377004209
It's not really a metroidvania.
Try Environmental Station Alpha instead, or La Mulana, or even Rain World which is barely a metroidvania but still an amazing platformer.
>>
>>377006689
I haven't tried it yet, but It seems there's a way to input seed numbers so you can play the same world repeatedly. At least that's what I gathered from one of the quick looks I watched.
>>
I was super hesitant to buy in because of EA. But a friend convinced me to, and I really enjoy rogue lites. So keep that in mind, I'm slightly biased.

Found it to be pretty fun. Controls are pretty tight, music is nice. Couple placeholder enemies I think. Unlocking system doesn't feel like rogue legacy where you need to die to progress. There are sees numbers, haven't played around with inputting the same ones. That might be a thing in the future.
Overall op if you're interested give it a pirate and see how it is.
Personally this and Subnautica are the two EA I don't really regret.
>>
>>377007291
Honestly, never played either of those. But they get mentioned often in metroidvania threads. What makes you believe they are not?
>>
>>377007613
>Couple placeholder enemies I think.
Oh. Is it really that early in development?
>>
>>377007719
I only said that Rain World and Dead Cells weren't really metroidvanias.
>>
>>377004209
Bland, I refunded it.
>>
>>377004209
Do you enjoy Rogue Legacy? If yes then you'll probably enjoy this too, I know I am
>>
>>377007774
I think that's what I heard. Which was part of my biggest dislike.
The first two "bosses" were pretty awful. They were just harder mobs that summoned tons of smaller mobs in a tiny room. Not really difficult just extremely obnoxious. I think they're being replaced with actual bosses though.
>>
>>377008113
Yeah, the store page said something about the game partially being inspired by Souls and having pattern-based boss fights. A bunch of enemies in a room doesn't sound like anything of the sort.
The -15% deal ends in a couple of days. I'm wondering if it'd be worth to pick it up right now.
>>
>>377008108
Am I the only one who disliked Rogue Legacy? The dumb random stats and grinding felt annoying, that and hitting a flying enemy, having them connect and pass through your sword, and still hit you for damage in a game where each hit was huge just felt fucking horrible.

>>377007063
It's laughable that people are shitting on rouge-lites and Metroidvanias when The Binding of Issac and Super Metroid are held in crazy high regard.
>>
>Early Access

No. Come back when the game is done.
>>
>>377008341
I didn't like how level-scaling in Rogue Legacy made it feel like you're not really doing much progress. But otherwise the idea of a randomly generated action platformer is pretty fun.
>>
File: momodora.webm (3MB, 630x470px) Image search: [Google]
momodora.webm
3MB, 630x470px
>>377004209
Got any webms of how it looks? Most of the time when a game has pixel graphics I'll give it a pass unless said pixel graphics are done well.
>>
>>377008546
Nope. I actually expect there to be a thread, or even multiple threads on /v/, considering how popular this game seems to be getting. But surprisingly I found none, so I made my own.
>>
>>377008341

Nah, I really wasn't fond of Rogue Legacyeither (even though the game should have been right up my alley on paper). Big part of it was the art-style I think, I didn't like the scribblenauts vibe.

I think everybody's wary of procedural generation and roguelites because there are many examples of games that do it wrong. Hell, for procedural generation I think it's a fucking amazing technology that will have a huge place in video games in the future, but it has never really been done right.
I'm still so pissed that Strafe didn't get it right either...
>>
>>377006689
The random generated is kept to a minimum, so after like 3-4 runs you will know the layout.
>>
>>377004209
As someone who played the everloving shit out of SotN in all its various releases but normally hates roguelikes, its aight. The casual bitch baby in me likes that some of the upgrades are permanent, the map being 'randomly generated' makes little to no difference because they follow very similar layouts and none of the configurations are unique enough that you actually recognize theyre different. It honestly could have been throwing the same 2 layouts at me interchangeably and i wouldnt have noticed. Its very obviously early access as the weapon variety is pretty limited but occasionally you'll pick up some shit that synergies well and you'll feel pretty fucking powerful. Gameplay is ok, your movement feels pretty good and i havent encountered any normal enemies that are bullshit, but the elite enemies that take a fuckton of damage and deal a fuckton of damage and can teleport into an instant attack are absolute fucking nonsense. Level variety is nonexistant. Inside and outside of castle, TWO FUCKING SEWER LEVELS WITH POISONOUS WATER, and a wharf are all ive seen so far. Good not great, if you like roguelikes you'll probably like it, if you like metroidvania its a bit lacking there, if you like both you'll get a shitload of playtime.

>>377005076
How are they buzzwords if those elements actually exist in the game? It is a roguelike and has elements from souls games. Also the souls series is still niche in terms of the whole market space, as are roguelikes so I don't see how they would be effective purely as marketing tools.
>>
>all these retards calling it shit because of the description
it's pretty good at the start OP but gets boring soon.
>difficulty curve is janky af
>replaying the previous levels to get to where you were is boring af
>can't steal from shops/any of the other stuff good roguelikes have
>massive random slowdown on my good pc (can freeze entirely for 1-2 seconds and then shoot back to 60fps)
>has the least interesting metroidvania abilities ever
apart from that, i recommend you either pirate or buy it and refund if you dont like it. I listed the bad points but everything else is pretty good, especially the combat, but it just doesn't have enough substance or replayability right now. But it will be fantastic once the other systems are added (if the dev adds them).
>>
So far my only major gripe with the game is constant slowdowns. It makes it pretty much impossible to play.
>>
>>377008763
I thought Rogue Legacy was one of the worst rogue-lites even though I had great hopes for it.
It only took like 4-5 hours to beat it, then a few more to beat it a second time and then I pretty much lost interest because there was almost no variation, no upgrades apart from the permanent unlocks and the general gameplay was really bland. It wasn't enough to be a good platformer or a good rogue-lite.

This seems more solid but I just wanted to bitch about Rogue Legacy, the perfect example of wasted potential.
>>
>>377005440
Thats why the refund system exists. I normally dont ever give money to games that call themselves early access because I don't want to buy an unfinished product. But the game honestly could come out right now as a viable complete experience. It would be a shallow overpriced experience, but if they bumped the price down to $9.99 it would be a 7/10 neat idea.
>>
>>377009026
Okay, thanks. I think I hold off buying it right now then. Maybe once it gets more content and goes out of EA.
>>
Just pirated this game when I saw the thread up, trying it out.

So far, I'm really liking it, but again a game where you have roll instead of just block makes blocking seem bad unless you have a good shield or something.

exploring is fun, movement is fantastic and combat is great. I haven't gotten further than the first two levels (no bosses or anything) but I can definitely see myself opening this up and playing for 30 minutes or so or whenever I'm bored and want something to do. I don't know if I'd pay money for it though.
>>
>>377006689
If you're looking for more metroidvania than roguelike it isnt for you. Getting upgrades that allow you to access new paths is as metroidvania as it gets.
>>
>>377009248
I bought it with the intention of trying it and refunding but I found the minute to minute gameplay okay enough to keep since I had some money in my steam wallet already. I like having a game that I can turn my brain off and fuck around in before I go play something that I take seriously with friends or whatever and for the money this suits my needs. Theres a ton of other suggestions for good metroidvania games in here tho, personally i'd recommend hollow knight
>>
>>377009365
My main issue with the blocking is that it quickly turns into a visual clusterfuck based on the items you get, and you're punished unbelievably hard for missing. The best setups that ive found were ones where I wasn't actually attacking the enemies and instead was just luring them into traps or throwing shit at them and running.
>>
>>377009769
Double posion traps are golden
>>
>>377004209
>early access
tell me when it's done
>>
>>377005382
>Games that don't come out of EA for years are.
Literally 95% of early access.
>>
>>377009026
I'll probably wait then, sounds like it has promise once it leaves EA though. Might have to check out Rain World, but I'm pretty mixed on that as well.

>>377009769
That sounds real cheesy and unfun, is it?
>>
Can devs stop comparing anything moderately difficult as souls-like? It's getting really fucking old.
>>
>>377010198
Normal combat is to fun, but if you get some good traps you can easily cheese anything.
>>
File: 1654894635.png (527KB, 2588x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1654894635.png
527KB, 2588x1440px
Its pretty fun, really like the combat and weapon variety. If the amount of space left in the runes is anything to go by there's still a lot of content left. If they deliver I can see putting a lot of time into this.
>>
>>377008546
Got this in my recommended videos. Probably because was watching some Darksiders 3 gameplay.
>>
>>377011405
Forgot link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94IsvgEFzH0
>>
File: cheese.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cheese.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>377009769
Anon you replied to here, You mean like the run I just had?
>>
>>377009026
>It is a roguelike
It's not turn based. It's not tile based. It ddoesn't have permadeath (you unlock upgrades for future playthroughs).
>>
>>377011691
But your character does die permanently? There are permanent upgrades but there's also shit you lose. Also
>rogueLIKE
just because it doesnt have the things you think of in a roguelike game doesnt mean it isnt one.
>>
>>377011592
I had a run with double poison biters, i literally didnt even use my main weapon after that
>>377010198
basically you're up to your own devices. If you find it satisfying to cheese the shit out of the game and you get decent RNG you can do that. You can also play with a shield and a longbow and no specials if you want to.
>>
>>377013363
>just because it isn't like games in that genre doesn't mean it doesn't belong to it
The LIKE in rogueLIKE is part of the name of the already stablished genre, and this game is definitely not a roguelike. It may have roguelike elements (if at all), but it definitely is not one. It' just part of that fucking steam trend of labeling random games as roguelikes that makes it so fucking hard to find an actual one nowadays
>>
>>377013618
so what's the arbitrary minimum number of arbitrarily defined elements a game must contain to meet your arbitrary semantic requirement?
>>
>>377014028
>arbitrary
If there's anything arbitrary is the new definition of roguelike people are giving it nowadays. For anything else, see >>377011691
>>
>>377013363
Permadeath means you use all progression. Every playthrough in a roguelike is a clean slate.
Since you don't lose all progression it's not real permadeath.
>just because it doesnt have the things roguelike players think of in a roguelike game doesnt mean it isnt one.
FTFY and yes it does.
>>
>>377006364
Yea, you're so clever. You've fooled us all by pretending to be an interested customer instead of the dev
>>
>>377014028
Don't even need to count features.
You can tell if something isn't a roguelike from a single screenshot.
>>
>>377014028

Did /v/ have a stroke recently? I've seen a serious uptick in people using the word 'arbitrary' incorrectly. It's not arbitrary. It's the defining characteristics of the things we invented the word to describe.

You stupid faggots spent half the thread losing your goddamn mind over the way the developers described the game, and even they didn't say roguelike.

>Dead Cells is a rogue-lite, metroidvania action-platformer.
>>
Currently, no.
In the future, maybe.
>>
Just downloaded it, this is pretty intriguing, this is nothing like rogue legacy, all the stuff you find around are actually extremely powerful and are all on cooldown (haven't seen consumables yet).

Also this seems to be heavily progression based (you unlock new mechanics as time goes on), and the procedural progression seems to be pretty subtle. This doesn't seem so much like a "competitive" run-based game. I really like it so far.

The whip sucks so very much though, very soulsian.
>>
>>377004209
How can a metroidvania have random levels?
>>
File: 1451373267878.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
1451373267878.png
129KB, 314x278px
>>377004209
Pyb? What?
>>
>>377014136
>why dont developers release the one game that i liked during the period of time when i felt in control of my life
die you backwards old fuck

>>377014145
so by that definition you have to kill yourself every time you die in a roguelike because every time you play you learn something and improve which is progression. Also
>my opinion is always right
die snowflake.
>>
>>377014478
>>my opinion is always right
You're the one taking an already stablished term, trying to associate it to something it doesn't, and calling the well stablished definition of it "arbitrary". You're not right, nothing wrong with that
>>
Play Valdis Story
>>
I played it for like an hour. I think I'm just done with procedurally generated roguelikes. I can't force myself to do that shit anymore in the 50th game that follows the same general formula.
>>
>>377014467

What, exactly, is confusing to you?
>>
File: 1493559233218.jpg (18KB, 255x237px) Image search: [Google]
1493559233218.jpg
18KB, 255x237px
>>377006185
>the "pssh nothing personel" build
>backstab dagger
>teleport behind you spell on both spell slots

Probably one of my most memorable run yet so far.
>>
>2017 buzzwords : The Game
Fuck off shill
>>
>>377014756
Isn't a metroidvania defined by gaining access to previously unaccessible areas by gaining new powers?

How does that work with random levels? Sounds like it would be shit
>>
>>377014883
Random factor is minimal, the general layout and location of the zones stays the same between runs
>>
>>377014883

>How does that work with random levels?

The same way it does with non-random levels. You do understand that a human being has to sit down and write how the "random" generation works, right? Why do you think someone can program a randomly located door, but not a door that requires a special key?
>>
>>377008113
You fought elites. Those weren't bosses.

The first 2 bosses don't summon anyone. You clearly haven't gotten through the first section but if the game.
>>
>>377009026
>he hasn't seen the Ossuary
>he hasn't seen the Prison Depths
>he hasn't seen the graveyard
>>
>>377015050
Random levels will always be worse than static levels designed by a skilled designer

Since level design is a huge part of metroidvanias it's going to result in a shitty one

I mean, if you have autism i guess you'd read my posts literally but come on, a bit of reading comprehension and context isn't against the law senpai
>>
>beat incomplete one easily
>have good weapons and charm
>get past fog bank for the first time, with some difficulty
>some random enemy with a hook one shots me with a quick attack at full health
>had +6 health
Am I missing some damage mitigation mechanic?
>>
>>377015282

No reason to be smarmy. Your posts in no way communicated the point you are now trying to make, and you don't understand what the words "literally" or "context" mean. Instead of casting stones, consider improving yourself.

Or, you know, call me autistic and win a victory for shitposting. It's a free website.
>>
>>377009031
>buy it and refund if you dont like it.

That isn't really recommended imo, the first 2 hours can easily sucks you in. Then after those you realize just how bad you are at the game and you want the refund but you can't now because you've been stuck with the game for 4 hours.
>>
>>377015475
Nope!

After the first boss the game is slow as fuck as you have to cheese everyone. 1 hit and you're dead from combos or some shit. They need to rebalance after first boss.

Health upgrades are pretty much meaningless.
>>
File: 1491377505682.jpg (61KB, 535x516px) Image search: [Google]
1491377505682.jpg
61KB, 535x516px
>ROGUEVANIA
>>
>>377015282

I don't actually believe that to be true, although I'll concede I've never seen procgen doing it better than a skilled designer yet (I have high hopes we'll get very intricate and cleverly designed levels made procedurally sometime in the future). Anyway, procedurally generated levels and worlds have better replayability.

How boring would BoI, nethack, spelunky...etc with handcrafted levels from start to finish? It would feel very different and completely ruin the core run-based idea.
>>
>>377015663
>procedurally generated levels and worlds have better replayability.
But a lot of times they don't. If you shuffled the same 2 layouts of the map into Dead Cells I wouldn't even notice that because they make no fucking difference and in no way interesting or unique.
>>
>>377015904

I feel like the procedural generation of levels in Dead Cells is mostly here to accommodate random loot. I'll agree that they could almost have done without it.
>>
>>377014478
>so by that definition you have to kill yourself every time you die in a roguelike because every time you play you learn something and improve which is progression.
You're now just pretending to be retarded.
Roguelikes are all about gitting gud and getting better stats/equipment/items/abilities the more you die is the anti-thesis to roguelikes.
>my opinion is always right
I said roguelike players. If a game isn't being features on roguebasin.com and roguelike communities like /rlg/ agree it's not a roguelike, then it's not a roguelike.
>>
>>377015659
Well, when you put it that way...
>>
>>377004209

its on tpb just downl;oad it for free and try it. fuck paying for early access t b h
>>
Honestly I feel like this is a Single Player focused 'Risk Of Rain'.

You have to unlock new possible drops doing runs, meaning all of the possible content is drip feed towards you, and the best feature with these games is the fact that you've got SO MANY OPTIONS to try to figure out what's good, what's bad, and what's valid when combined with other things. The fact that both Risk of Rain and this gates off a lot of that for a false replayibity pisses me off.

Added onto this, the game's mostly just you, killing dudes, and just moving to map to map to find RNG loot in hopes to be better then before. It's cute, but it's a song and dance I've done to death with other games like DRL or FTL, but again, those games give you so many options from the word 'Go', with only FTL locking direct characters/ships behind progressing, instead of the things you directly find and interact with.
>>
File: 1490330592993.gif (167KB, 190x262px) Image search: [Google]
1490330592993.gif
167KB, 190x262px
Looks and plays like absolute shit, just replay Hollow Knight.
>>
File: 1490184026300.jpg (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490184026300.jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
>Magnetic grenade + flashbang
>Magnetic grenade + literally anything AoE
>>
>>377018265
>watched so many aoe skill runs
>get to second boss
>unaffected by AOE skills

50 min runs down the drain
>>
>>377018720
What the fuck are the bosses, anyway. Ones who spawn outta runes?
>>
File: 1391999218790.jpg (168KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1391999218790.jpg
168KB, 1280x720px
>>377004209
The game looks cool but I know if I buy it right now and do all the content I'll never come back to it. That's why I hate early access.
>>
>>377020608
No these are boss areas

1. Incomplete one - on Black Bridge
2. Watcher - forget the place but it is after the graveyard
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.