[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on DOOM (2016)? I didn't enjoy it as much as critics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: Doom_Cover[1].jpg (65KB, 260x370px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_Cover[1].jpg
65KB, 260x370px
Thoughts on DOOM (2016)?

I didn't enjoy it as much as critics did, I think.
>>
Still at it. Having a blast so far.
>>
Weirdly easy. I played it on normal up until near the end, where I bumped it up the highest you can pick on your first run through. It got a little bit harder near the end, on the last two levels.

I dunno. I didn't feel engaged by it, I'm definitely going to forget a shit load of the game in a few months time. I'll never go back to it.

It was very nicely optimised though, and looked quite pretty. The overall aesthetic was a little generic or repetitive in places. I like that they brought some retro ideas back into the mainstream, like fast player movement, no reloads, etc. Pity they didn't also forego those generic upgrade systems too.

It was kind of forgettable to me. I definitely felt like I was completing it to get it over with near the end. It only took 6 hours though.
>>
Male power fantasy ultraviolence with metal aesthetic
>>
File: 1423556099163.jpg (155KB, 552x391px) Image search: [Google]
1423556099163.jpg
155KB, 552x391px
>>377003663
So you're saying it's great?

I agree!
>>
>>377003709
the only woman is portrayed as evil, weak and manipulative

problematic portrayals tbqh
>>
>>377003794
I agree. Quality game.
>>
Where the Pain Elementals at?
>>
>>377003978
kind of weird that they included pinky and just presented him as pinky in this serious universe

>OH GOODNESS
>ITS THE DEMONS FROM HELL
>OH NO
>THEY'VE GOT
>PINKIES
>>
>>377003978
Nowhere, and thank G-d for that.
>>
>>377003978
>Pain Elementals
you want an enemy that can spawn more enemies in a game that won't allow more than 11 enemies onscreen?

I wish they were there
>>
>>377004181
I wish they'd let more enemies show up at once. Some of the larger arenas feel fucking empty in the middle of a fight.
>>
>>377003794

WTF, I love Bethesda now.
>>
Are the custom maps good do they add any replay value?
>>
>>377004225
I agree. They didn't need like Go 2 It, but monster counts like those in Tricks n traps would be nice.
>>
>>377003390
Too simple and repetitive. Only play it when I drink. Not that big a deal except they made the multiplayer and map editor simple and repetitive too.
>>
Yeah, I didn't particularly like it either. It's too loose, the guns literally go pew pew, it's pretty shallow, you spend more time wrestling with the aiming sensitivity than killing demons and mandatory glory kills are dumb and only serve to break up the pace. But I guess the level design is nice and the marine is an awsome character design. I certainly didn't like it anywhere near as much as I loved say, Bioshock Infinite. Or for that matter: Destiny.

And yet all the dipshit critics go "yaaaaay classic fps" and proceed to suck its dick.

But, come to think of it, I guess I too would love Doom if I was forced to play most modern FPS games. In that case, I bet the game WOULD be refreshing.

So I guess I'm just too discerning for this game.
>>
>>377004181
This was literally my only and fairly big problem with the game. My first playthrough was FANTASTIC, 10/10, but every time I get the craving to play the game again I give up because I've already learned the encounters and gotten good enough at the game that most of the challenge in each encounter is gone because of my experience (I remember getting stuck for days in the gauntlet right after getting the BFG).
But going higher than ultraviolence just turns the enemies into even bigger bullet sponges, and me into an even frailer piece of cardboard, when what the encounters really needed in order to add as much fun as they would difficulty, is to have even more enemies thrown at you.
>>
>>377003390
Most badass intro ever
>>
>>377004791
>"you spend more time wrestling with the aiming sensitivity than killing demons"
Thats because you play with a controller like a mongoloid
>>
Call me a bait poster or whatever but I'd hold it up as my favorite modern game of all time, I adore it with all my heart
>>
really fun since i got a new pc with 144 hz and gsync screen it was smooth af on ultra
made me hard
>>
Best FPS in the last 10 years.
>>
>>377004791
>mandatory glory kills
But the only mandatory ones are the few bosses, you can just shoot all the other things dead
>>
>>377004791
>I certainly didn't like it anywhere near as much as I loved say, Bioshock Infinite.
How could anyone possibly have this opinion
>>
>>377006448
yeah, i thought they'd be way more pace breaking than they are

if you're low on health you don't even really need to do a glory kill, dead enemies will drop health
>>
>>377006494
I agree with that poster. I enjoyed the atmosphere and narrative of Bioshock Infinite. The gameplay in Doom kind of felt a bit repetitive as it wore on. The aesthetic definitely became very one-note to me, although it was technically excellent.

By the end of Doom I was just using super shotgun and the rail gun, and I didn't really feel like I had to employ much in the way of thought or preparation in combat.
>>
It was fun. Nothing groundbreaking but by no means bad.

The soundtrack was the best aspect of the game.
>>
>>377006530
Glorykills are often detrimental on higher difficulties because you're not actually invincible during them, so it's easy to take more damage than you heal
>>
it's a great game
one of the only good Western games in a long time
>>
>>377006732
You're always invincible during glory kills, no exceptions. What gets ya on higher difficulties is the fact that enemies will throw shit at you/get close while you're doing the GK and will fuck your shit up as soon as you finish it
>>
>>377005130
>Watch the Doom documentary
>Turns out id was struggling with the introductory level the most and the elevator scene was coined up almost near release
>>
>>377006967
Wrong
>>
>>377007625
No, I'm right
>>
File: 1494008046884.jpg (15KB, 250x319px) Image search: [Google]
1494008046884.jpg
15KB, 250x319px
One of those "have fun for a single playthrough then forget about it".
It was good for what it's worth.
>>
>>377007783
It makes me sad that people willingly stop themselves from experiencing everything a game has to offer
>>
>>377007863
Time is a finite resource. I either stop myself from experiencing everything this game has to offer, or from experiencing anything that another game has to offer.
>>
>>377008074
>Time is a finite resource

I don't want to face this truth :(
>>
>>377003619

Same, from what I read on /v/ and online it seemed like the second coming of FPS, but in the end it just turned out to be a good game with nothing special about it.

I think the lack of music throughout was my main concern. I liked hearing music throughout the level, not just during fights. Plus the Glory kills made the game a lot easier.
>>
>>377004143
>serious universe

I kind of doubt that when you have all those holograms everywhere going "WEAPONIZING DEMONS FOR A BETTER TOMMOROW".
>>
>>377003619
No shit it was weirdly easy, you played it on an easy difficulty for most of the game. The game was designed around nightmare, and probably around no character upgrades as well, which you probably had a shitton of by the end.

Man, the upgrade system was so bad, what the fuck were they thinking?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.