[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crack bullshit aside, what did people think of Prey? I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 346
Thread images: 36

File: Prey_box_shot.jpg (762KB, 1527x2178px) Image search: [Google]
Prey_box_shot.jpg
762KB, 1527x2178px
Crack bullshit aside, what did people think of Prey?

I think I liked it, but the end became an exercise in sprinting past bulletsponge enemies. Also, I never bought any Typhon mods, were they fun?
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
7ef.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
Someone fill me in on the typhon.
What do we know abou them?
They seem to be almost like parasites, like the spore but more refined and clever without an, as off yet present mother host.
>>
Literally a meme game.
>>
>>376993512
They're ayy lmaos we ain't gotta explain shit

I agree that they're parasites though. Maybe they're engineered by aliens and are actually synthetic, who can say. That would explain the technopaths at least
>>
>>376993410
Some of the abilities are fun like turning into a cup so you can fit through the little security booth windows and boarded up doorway things
>>
Did anyone else get the ending twist spoiled for them by doing the December quest?

>>376993783
Neat. I just didn't want to use them because I'd invested in repair already and I wanted to use the turrets.
>>
>>376993683
In what fucking sense?
>>
>>376993965
You can take control of the turrets
Spawn phantoms out of corpses

Who else did take every bad choice like starting the experiment with the locked guy in the chamber. I took the materials with his life

Or that guy who floats in container asking for help. Hacked the doors to see what's inside

Or the reffugee camp with the big cargo door. Hacked the code panel and watched them get steamrolled
>>
>>376994654
That's pretty edgy bro.

Does it affect the ending though? I picked the good options throughout and got the option to take Alex's hand, then the game abruptly stopped.
>>
Which is the best mod and why is it leverage?

>Killing enemies by flinging boxes at their face
>>
>>376993410
I wish Dahl had a squad of actual dudes with him, recycling the terrible robot enemies and putting them fucking EVERYWHERE was the biggest pain in the ass. If he had humans with him they could've introduced at least one new weapon like an assault rifle and had new enemies to fight,
as well as another metric to judge you on in the end.
Other wise it was ok. If anyone here is on the fence on buying it I'd recommend waiting for a sale.
>>
>>376994654
I was thinking about doing another run way down the line where I go out of my way to hunt down and murder everyone on the station.
>>
>>376993512
Aliens who came from a meteorite after spending millions of years in stasis. Are intelligents but lack mirror neurons so they can't view humans as anything other than food source.
>>
File: 1411693520509.gif (370KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
1411693520509.gif
370KB, 500x465px
>>376993410
>A Chris Avellone game
It's a quality game, senpai
>>
>>376996060
I didn't necessarily want humans but yeah, those robots were a pain in the ass to fight. I basically spent the last bit of the game with zero suit.

Those robots ruined the last bit of the game for me too. When you find Alex and he talks to you a random bot came along and lasered him, causing the game to get confused, triggering the big Typhon thing to appear out of nowhere and not giving me the objectives I needed.

The whole last part of the game was weak, honestly.
>>
>>376996261
I'm 99% sure he just helped out with evaluating the story and wrote a bunch of supplementary stuff like emails, flavor text and some characters
>>
File: 20170513140550_1.jpg (390KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170513140550_1.jpg
390KB, 1920x1080px
It's Bioshock lite with a weaker setting and weapons but better, more interesting endings
>>
>>376993410
Stayed Pure Human for the full run. Game counts as a proper spiritual successor to System Shock and is the best in the genre since Human Revolution at least. My current GOTY.
>>
>>376993410
>but the end became an exercise in sprinting past bulletsponge enemies.

But that's the point. You can't kill the tentacles yourself, so you have to beat them can as you race for the either waypoint that'll kill the beast for you.
>>
>>376996430
That looking glass tech was neat. I was really impressed when I first destroyed it.

Also that fucking jump scare with the buttons
>>
I learned people on this board have utterly shit taste. Prey has the depth of a puddle.
>>
>>376995390
Nah, I did it a fair few times and still got the good endings because I saved npcs. They don't care what you do with dead people.
>>
>>376996509
I wouldn't say that's the point entirely though. Having enemies that are difficult to fight is one thing, but spamming annoying shit like the cystoids isn't fun at all.
>>
>>376996572
I learned people on this board have utterly shit taste. Prey is a good game.
>>
>>376996535
Yeah that was cheap
>>
>>376996367
Yeah, the entire last act of the game felt incredibly rushed. The robots made what little patience I had left completely vanish though. They were the same as the other robots but everywhere and constantly damaging you if you're EVER in their line of sights. They didn't need to make Dahl's troops human, just ANYTHING other than what we got. It's absurd to think he went into the place with a squad of floating PC towers that have shitty lasers.
>>
Thoughts on it being all in one place and reusing locations a lot?

I liked that it let me learn the station, but it made me feel like there was no real standout level as such. Also fuck the guts.

>>376996572
In what sense is it as deep as a puddle?
>>
>>376996509
I think he was referring to the military operators that are fucking EVERYWHERE. I didn't even bother repairing my suit I just blasted by them as fast as I could because they were such a pain to deal with.
>>
>>376994654
The guy in the experiment chamber was a no brainer, I already got into the armoury, so he had nothing to offer and his rap sheet helped me justify harvesting him for materials.
>>
>>376996658
There are ways they could have improved the robots, make them less accurate, or not detect you as easily, or easier to kill, or something. I just don't get what the logic was other than not having to make a new enemy.

Maybe they could have just made it so all the ship's security started targeting you. Like there was additional security measures that get activated. Just not those fucking robots.
>>
File: 1485071837967.png (454KB, 500x767px) Image search: [Google]
1485071837967.png
454KB, 500x767px
>>376996675
first time you visit GUTS and outer space is incredibly cool. then you are a bit annoyed, but still. GUTS give you great exposure how big this place is.
>>
>>376996656
I liked that it was just the staff fucking with each other, it justied its existence. I knew it was coming so I didn't freak out and smash the glass. It got me when I had a phantom come flying into the room a few seconds after when I thought it was done
>>
How fucking casual can you be /v/?
Military ops where fucking easy to deal with. Just upgrade machine mind and they're piss easy.
Also you can easily stop their respawnining by blocking their fabricator with furniture.
>>
>>376996842
It's a good way of showing scale, but those fucking cyst enemies were awful.

Plus I kept on getting lost in there. The rest of the game I learned the layout quickly, but the guts were always confusing to me.

Oh and the zero g movement was kind of annoying.
>>
File: 1493721419211.jpg (64KB, 662x712px) Image search: [Google]
1493721419211.jpg
64KB, 662x712px
>fight technopath
>finally take down all 4 turrets it was defending itself with
>slowly wear it down with bullets and then wrench whacking
>it fucking one shots me with electric bullshit
>fight another one later
>same shit
>give up and start hurling heavy furniture at it
Other than making the place safer for a little bit, is there literally any reason to fight one?
>>
>>376996953
>It's a good way of showing scale, but those fucking cyst enemies were awful.

How so? Just shoot a foam dart at them and they all die instantly.
>>
>>376996601
If you're braindead
>>
>>376996804
Yeah, if they had the extra security measures that activated it also would've made hacking more viable as a combat option.
Maybe they could've even stowed away a hidden security panel in each area to disable them or some shit. Literally anything other than what we got would've been better.
>>
>>376996927
>Just upgrade machine mind and they're piss easy.

I, like a lot of people, didn't use Typhon powers. They were a pain. Either you waste loads of ammo to kill them, or you accept you're going to lose loads of health and suit.
>>
>>376994345
"meme game" is a phrase devoid of any meaning whatsoever. just ignore it.
>>
>>376996953
guts and zero-g feel like shit because of cyst kamikaze shitters. they should have design something better than these annoying flying banelings. if we forget about them guts and zero-g are cool. sure guts is confusing, but it's a giant tube that goes through entire station. had no problem with zero-g movement, it was really cool in my opinion. sometimes easy to get confused, but it's space after all.
>>
>>376996927
I didn't touch machine mind at all because up to that point the robot enemies were piss easy dispose of with other shit.
>>
>>376996989
Fully upgraded stun gun wreck their shit in like 4 hits
>>
>>376996994
Yeah and you waste all your ammo. Then the weaver makes more. So you have to kill the weaver, which is horrible and not fun.
>>
>>376997131
I was encountering them before I got the stun gun
>>
>>376996989
Just Q-Beam it.
>>
>>376997131
When I got the stun gun and read that it wasn't powerful against Typhon and only good against humans I just wrote it off as useless and never used it.

Then at the very end of the game I realise it wrecks robots and everything. I was a bit annoyed really.
>>
>>376997350
It's very powerful against typhons, especially technopaths.
>>
>>376997395
I might be misremembering but I'm sure the tutorial screen said it was bad against them.
>>
>>376997075
No, a 'meme' game is just another way of saying terrible shit game made for braindead manchildren who need their flavor of the month.
>>
DUDE IT'S JUST A SIMULATION LMAO

Dropped the game hard right there.
>>
So glad this game is failing hard.
>>
File: 1479995332252.jpg (38KB, 577x382px) Image search: [Google]
1479995332252.jpg
38KB, 577x382px
>>376997163
>that fucking weaver in guts who runs away after getting ANY damage from you and comes back with his technopath buddy
>spams cyst while technopath slaps your shit
I got rekt so fucking hard on nightmare. after 40 minutes of attempts I finally cleaned up that place.
>>
It was long at least. Took me 24 hours to complete, and I wasn't going slowly.
>>
>spend all game not using typhoon powers to stay pure human
>has 0 impact on game endings

awesome
>>
>>376997535

It has been speed runned in 43 minutes.
>>
>>376997603
So?
>>
>>376997063
>I, like a lot of people, didn't use Typhon powers. They were a pain
Just hack their shit up
>>
>>376997603
What? That's slow. Fastest was 8 minutes so far.
>>
>>376997578
why should it have?
>>
>>376993410
>Crack bullshit aside, what did people think of Prey?
I love it, but I had to swallow some bitterness when I learned the game has more in common with Dishonored than System Shock 2, especially once you reach the mid-game.
With a bit of tweaking (doubling the price for Neuromods, removing the infinite heal/resupply robots or at least introducing a price to their services, making recycling less efficient), it would be my absolute dream game.

As it stands, it's "just" really, really good.

>>376996397
>I'm 99% sure he just helped out with evaluating the story
Yeah, but I think his touches show. Some of the personal stories you learn across the game are surprisingly good: I found the whole lesbian love story you get sucked into with the voice-emulation subquest particularly good: I actually kinda cared about the characters at the end and I was pretty damn happy to see at least one of them alive.

That said, the main story is clearly not very strong. It's riddled with plotholes, and while I haven't finished the game yet, I did get the one ending in which you just say "fuck it" and leave the station (you can do it pretty much from the mid-game) and it clearly hinted at a really, really stupid end twist reveal that I don't like at all.

I love that the game allowed you to do that: just unceremoniously leave as soon as you get the escape pod key and figure out how to get up there (which you can using only gluegun), but the payoff for it was terrible.
Still a great game, but the main story would deserve a little re-thinking.
>>
>>376997481
It's on the first place of the last week UK chart tho
>>
>>376997654
You need hacking 4 for that. Which there's no reason to have.
>>
>>376997578

Would you rather it be like in Dishonoured, where using powers will raise chaos for no reason at all?

>Killing weepers, who spread the plague, raises chaos
>Killing weepers and turning them into ash so their bodies can't infect anyone raises chaos even more
>>
File: 1480365759832.jpg (35KB, 600x715px) Image search: [Google]
1480365759832.jpg
35KB, 600x715px
>Keep dying to a spikey phantom
>Throwing furniture and shit at it all over the place
>Stun it and wrench it
>Nothing is working it
>Shotgun it to death

This is the only game I've played where having to use a gun felt like giving up.

It doesn't help that I'm bad.
>>
>>376997437
The stun gun is good against almost all enemies, but it's ultra useful against technopaths and telepaths. Also obviously everything mechanical.
>>
>>376997705
>I love it, but I had to swallow some bitterness when I learned the game has more in common with Dishonored than System Shock 2, especially once you reach the mid-game.
With a bit of tweaking (doubling the price for Neuromods, removing the infinite heal/resupply robots or at least introducing a price to their services, making recycling less efficient), it would be my absolute dream game.

Same man. I'm waiting for the hardcore mode promised by Arkane.
>>
>>376997786
>hardcore mode promised by Arkane.
link pls
>>
>>376997786
>I'm waiting for the hardcore mode promised by Arkane.
Did they promise that? Awesome. Hope it's not like the "hardcore" mod in Bioshock Infinite though. Because that was bullshit.
>>
I liked it the game as a whole but that ending is pure sequel bait and that really annoys me.
>>
>>376997830
>>376997823

https://www.r.eddit.com/r/prey/comments/6b3vj3/arkane_talks_about_possible_survival_patch/

Yeah I know, r.eddit.
>>
>>376997840
Yeah, I would be really mad about it, but then I remembered the ending to System Shock 2 and though: Huh. It's like a time-honored tradition in this genre.
>>
>>376997754
So far I have been able to farm up plenty of ammo and goo given how often I can just wrentch and chuck most shit to death, I'm thinking of going full doom mode if it keeps up.
>>
>>376997754
If you want to get boring, set up a turret and use the gloo gun to stop it.
>>
>>376997705
Oh god I hated the dyke romance subplot. It was fucking hamfisted, and made worse by the fact you're forced to listen to it to finish that one mission. I wouldn't have minded so much if it just happened in the background but they had to go and make a big deal of it all.

It suffers a bit from the Borderlands 2 thing too, I don't recall a single straight relationship but there's at least two unnecessary homo ones.

I just think that if they wanted to do the romance sub plot they'd have connected better with the majority of players if it wasn't lesbians.
>>
>>376994345
it has lesbians in it and i don't like that. it makes my bepis feel funny
>>
>>376997941
>I don't recall a single straight relationship but there's at least two unnecessary homo ones.

MaleYu and Mikailha
>>
>>376997735
Well then it's your problem, there are plenty of ways to deal with military operators and you choose not to
>>
>>376997968
That wasn't a romance.
>>
>>376997753
>where using powers will raise chaos for no reason at all?
I dunno about 2 but in 1 it doesn't.

Kills progress toward chaos (and even then, you have to kill a lot of NPC), not powers.
>>
>>376998058
You still have to whack them to being broken before you can hack them.
>>
>>376998061

There's literally an audio log in your cabin saying that you dated her until you broke it off because you were going to have your memories wiped everyday
>>
>>376996261
It's literally not
>>
File: 1491869357310.jpg (20KB, 436x446px) Image search: [Google]
1491869357310.jpg
20KB, 436x446px
>>376998061
>he didn't get the scene where MYu fucking ravages Mikailha's peasant countryside with his enormous throbbing Mongol cock

you didn't even play the game you fucking hack
>>
>>376997887
I don't give a fuck about Reddit: it's a source and links to a direct one. That said, it looks like they are more reconsidering adding the trauma and oxygen aspect of the game, rather than tweaking the existing systems.

>>376997941
Yeah, no. Who gives two fucks if it was two girls for fuck sake. You are as bad as the SJW here: caring for validation more than anything.
Also, you can skip through every single voice-line in that quest and you can actually skip the whole quest all together. The characters were fun, it was fun to slowly uncover more and more of the personalities of all the people involved, the whole DnD club. It was a neat, human touch.

Actually, I really love the whole way they dealt with the crew. Almost every crewmember is accounted for, can be traced down through the levels, and it's actually rewarding to do so. It quite an impressive piece of work all together.

>>376998108
Or disable them with a single stun-gun shot. Or EMP mine. Or just sneak to them.
>>
>>376993410
What's the crack bullshit?
>>
>>376997941

Go back to >>>/pol/ faggot.
>>
>>376998216
The game got cracked
>>
>>376998251
OH SHIT THIS IS UNHEARD OF OH MY GOD
LITERALLY NEVER HAPPENED.
>>
>>376997941
Igwe mentions his wife. That guy in the Cargo Bay ask you to find his wife, which he married on the ship. The old scientist with Alzeihmer was married.
>>
>>376998176
>The characters were fun, it was fun to slowly uncover more and more of the personalities of all the people involved, the whole DnD club. It was a neat, human touch.

I fucking KNEW someone would say this. If I ever make a game I think I'll shove in some bullshit like they did, wacky emails and other shit to pretend we have le fun characters when in reality nobody has any personality at all.
>>
>>376998312
Hehe yea devs mad they wasted money on denuvo
>>
If you're any good at it and playing to win, you'll become so powerful so quickly that the rest of the game becomes dull, even if you're playing on Nightmare. The pacing has issues, the story isn't anywhere near as compelling as it could be, which I've heard notions is the result of some development troubles.

The best things about it are the free exploration the game allows you from almost the beginning of the game if you know where you're going, but you have to backtrack to those places anyway most of the time so what's the point in doing it, really?

It's an competent 7, worth one playthrough if you're interested in this sort of thing. I wanted to like it more.
>>
>>376998312
Well, Dishonored 2 never got cracked, among many others. Actually with Denuovo on the scene, every cracked AAA title is a bit of a small miracle. I wonder what compels you to be such a dick.

>>376998358
What exactly are your criteria for characters "having personality" here? Especially when we can only trace them through a handful of voicelogs, mails and their small living quarters.
>>
>>376998237
Fuck off, I hate those cunts. Don't put me in the same boat as /pol/ faggots for not liking eye rolling, unrealistic dialogue.
>>
Wasn't there some asshole who was making false-flag "cracked" copies of recent denuvo protected games and using it to DOX people?
>>
>>376998443
The alcoholic was handled decently. More stuff like that, and less wacky dialogue would help us feel that things are grounded in some sort of reality.
>>
>>376998574
there was a lot of grounded dialogue in prey though, a lot of basic doing work/having issues with staff/the shit going on with the volunteers audio logs and e-mails.

the dnd group was a minority.
>>
What about the Chef impersonator?

I found it quite arousing, meeting him and saving his ass, listening to the actual chef audio recording and finding he is an actual psycho then killing him off for good.

Felt good.
>>
>>376998826
I was disappointed he wasn't eating the corpses in the back
>>
Honestly, Chief Sho and Mikhaila were the only characters I liked all that much because they actually... Emoted, I guess. Sho has an irrational hissy fit (something I've dealt with in others many times) and leaves her girlfriend only to have her butchered by an insane convict who uses his exploitation as an excuse to butcher innocents that weren't even familiar with the worse experiments before she can apologize. Mikhaila is justifiably fucking pissed at you and Transtar because this whole thing is all their fault. Alex feels like he's trying to manipulate you straight up, Elazar's alright but you don't interact with her that much and she spends most of the game stone-faced without getting much development, Igwe is literally autistic to the point of immorality, and Alex feels like he's trying to manipulate you the entire game. Dahl was alright too as a pure antagonist, but he's involved in the plot for maybe five minutes.
>>
>>376999249
What about January?
>>
>>376999347

Was I the only person who spent the entire game expecting January to be some kind of Typhon trick to get Yu to free the typhon or something?

I'm vaguely disappointed he was a straight man for the entire game instead
>>
>>376999347
I forgot January existed, somehow.

January's alright. I liked his voicework, but the way he's literally unable to change his mind regarding the game's main decision even when his other "thoughts" come into conflict kind of reminds you that he's still a machine, even if he is a charismatic machine. Dunno how to explain it, it's harder to feel for him when he literally can't back up his reasoning. At the end of the game when he has the chance to try and refute Alex when it sounded like Alex's solution was kind of objectively the best considering the situation he just says "there's a giant monster, ergo I'm right" which doesn't really work at all
>>
>>376999347
he was a cuckold probably
>>
I wasn't expecting that ending.
>>
>>377000212
I was, thanks to the December quest.
>>
>>377000212
>was kind of getting sick of people trying to tell me what to do and berating me for my choices or begging me to help their inane shit
>do the december quest
>get spoiled on what kind of ending it was gonna be

At least the ending was better than I expected even knowing the truth
>>
>>377000252
>>377000307
I feel like they should have made it more difficult to do the December quest. The way it was made it too easy to just save and try it.
>>
>>377000252
>>377000307

Surprised you guys even went with that ending, I couldn't just leave knowing Earth would be fucked.
>>
>>377000459
I mean when you're doing big choices I try to do whatever comes naturally so I didn't use the pod but there's literally nothing stopping you from just saving and using the pod to see what happens
>>
now that the crack is out, I see the underage of /v/ finally got to play the game
>>
>>377000669

Gotta resist that urge on first playthroughs.
>>
>>376994654
>Or that guy who floats in container asking for help. Hacked the doors to see what's inside
I have turned off the objective markers, and when the game asked me to bring him back to the station I tried pushing that container for solid 3 minutes before realising what I actually had to do.
>>
>it's fucking garbage and most people agree
>/v/ loves it

What a surprise
>>
>>377000849
I did the same. It makes sense really.
>>
>>376993512
Aliens that drift through space in a stasis mode and use slower than light travel to find planets. They feed on sentience / psionic energy, and lack mirror neurons and cannot empathize with other species.
The most basic form of the Typhon is the 'Mimic'. Once a mimic has fed on a human or other sentient creature, it undergoes mitosis. From there, the Mimics can diversify into other Typhon lifeforms, i.e. Weavers and Phantoms.
A strange, gossamer web like substance known as 'Coral' is central to Typhon ecology. It's some kind of external neural network, and houses the psyche of all their victims at certain centeral nodes. It's purpose is somewhat inconclusive.
Given the events of the endgame, presumably, once enough Coral has been produced, a massive psionic action is preformed to summon the 'Apex', a massive,
sky-scraper sized Typhon, presumably to harvest what's left of the sentient species on the planet.

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything.
>>
>>377000969
>/v/ rushes in to say it's garbage
>Few days later, once everybody's played it, they think it's the best thing ever.
>The few stragglers who haven't played are still trying to sound like they're part of a big group.
>>
>>376995390
You can only get the worst ending if you absolutely dick over every single major survivor like Igwe.

>>376996792
The guys rap sheet may not have been entirely accurate. Some of the crimes were likely fabricated to help the scientists disassociate and dehumanize the Volunteers.
>>
>>377001169
don't act like this is DOOM
i've beaten the game TWICE and i think it's massively underwhelming, this isn't a "/v/ hates everything" meme, it's genuinely flawed.

to me it sounds like most of the people jerking it off haven't finished it because a lot of the worse flaws come to light as you near the end
>>
>>377001228
>t. pedophile human-trafficking dopeslinger scum awaiting his lawful execution by alien
>>
File: proy.jpg (61KB, 634x563px) Image search: [Google]
proy.jpg
61KB, 634x563px
>>376993410
smart game for smart gamers
>>
File: 1309140674157.jpg (42KB, 388x384px) Image search: [Google]
1309140674157.jpg
42KB, 388x384px
>>376997454
>pic related
>>
File: 1244453454.jpg (49KB, 500x299px) Image search: [Google]
1244453454.jpg
49KB, 500x299px
>>376996430
>can make neat "looking glass" tech
>cant make working mirrors
>>
>>377001391

>Giving a shit about mirrors
>>
>>377001413
fuck off jaden
>>
Why prey game barely got any image or webm posted in their thread?
Do people actually playing the game or the game literally a borefest to play and look?
Does it got any interesting character? unique aliens? memorable stage?
Why the fuck the thread are so boring and bare?
>>
>>377001470
Why are you writing like you're 17 yo?
>>
>>377001519
Because I'm in 4chan.
>>
>>377001413
>Making compromises.

There's literally no reason not to have them. You know what Morgon looks like.
>>
>>377001519
he's writing like english isn't his first language, dumbass

there's a shitload of south americans on /v/
>>
>>377001610
There are tons of reasons you retard.
What if Morgan turns into a cup in front of the mirror? Imagine the production cost to make all the psi animations in third person?
>>
File: 1494468352834.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494468352834.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
>>376996989
>second technopath I came across
>decide to use a turret to kill it
>it takes the turret right out of my hands
>mfw

Im not sure how they expect you to fight anything without cheating the material recycler for ammo. Every enemy takes 400 shots to kill.
>>
How are the typhon compared to the ayys from the first game?
>>
>>377001621
SPICS OUT
>>
so pistol is most useless of all?
>>
>>377001742
The only thing they have in common is the name.
>>
>>376993512
It's hard to describe them as parasites when they actively eat and kill their "prey" so often. Their main objective seems to to be eating the brains, converting their neurons into the coral you see around the station in order to propagate and summon the mother(?). If anything it's more like a super preadator just trying to eat all it can
>>
>>377001169
>>377001273
I wouldnt even say that, its hugely derivative and boring from the demo alone

>pick up and throw objects memeplay
>le wrench weapon
>le freeze enemies in place gun
>le shoot or hit the enemy while frozen
>le "we're running some tests" on you plot point
>le clunky and slow gameplay
>that terrible opening scene with the PREY logo on the edge of a fucking random heli pad on a building

So uninsipred and shit IN MY VIEW. Just feels like a been there done that type of game.
>>
>>377001697
technopath best girl
turretlords btfo
>>377001898
my friend did a playthrough with pistol, if you upgrade it and get the right chips/skills it's really good
>>
>>376993410
now that the crack is out, I assume you fuckers actually played this game yes, cause you fucking poor fags were salty as fuck in the last few threads
>>
>>377001697
>level up your weapon mods and weapon damage
>throw a disabling grenade like EMP or nullwave
>use combat focus and become literally invincible with ridiculous damage output
>use psychoshock so they literally can't fight back
>use upgraded q-beam from long range
>use shockwave and nuke them outright

the only time this game is anything resembling difficult is early game without mods and then it just becomes running away simulator/throw explosive barels simulator
>>
>>377001942
You sound totally retarded.
>>
>>377002020
So just like System Shock 2?
>>
>>377001676
So one animation of him diving into the spot the cup spawns, with a little typhon mist obscuring things. Wow.

Got any more reasons from that 'ton' you mention?
>>
>>377002065
Amazing point there
>>
>>377000252
Yeah, that quest spoils it badly.

>>377000458
I actually kinda liked how easy it was. I did not like how they handled the ending though.

>>377000459
I just wanted to see if the game is seriously going to let me get away with it. And it was great that it did. And I felt really smart for figuring out I can just build a bridge with my glue gun to the pod.

>>377002286
He is right, and I don't know what you expect by saying "x element of the game", putting "Le" and thinking that comes across as an actual criticism, and not like you being a drooling mongoloid. Though it's not surprising that people shitting on this game in majority can't make a sensible point if their life depended on it.
>>
File: bad game.jpg (115KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
bad game.jpg
115KB, 600x604px
>>377002128
People keep saying that but System Shock 2 ramps up the amount of enemies you face and the lethality of those enemies in increasingly tense and cramped situations up until the end of the game. Just because you can kill any enemy in two-three shots from your AR doesn't mean you're invincible in SS2 because the enemy encounters are designed well. The game escalates with the player. It doesn't just "get easier as it goes," you become more lethal while enemies become more varied and deadlier themselves and more becomes possible during fights.

Prey, in comparison
>Throws maybe five enemies at you in one fight two or three times throughout the entire game, and they're usually weaker ones
>Most enemies can be completely disabled with minimal resource drain with certain grenades and psychoshock
>Stops really introducing anything that's a threat after the arboretum save for the military operators which don't change much and can still be mass-disabled with grenades and psi attacks
>Respawns enemies very slowly and only when the player is out of an area
>Never tries to get the drop on the player (outside of mimics which are rendered completely redundant in psychotronics and steadily stop appearing after that)
>>
>>376993410
>the game has fun options
>you can't use them because mah best ending
Arkane never leran.
>>
File: gnaf.gif (221KB, 350x286px) Image search: [Google]
gnaf.gif
221KB, 350x286px
>>377002557
for the record, I don't think prey is the worst game of all time and literally garbage. Prey has fun moments and good ideas that ultimately didn't come together and create a satisfying experience for me. I think it's a solid worth-playing 7, but "literally goty so far" and "true system shock 2 successor" just sounds ridiculous.
>>
>>377002286
He's right though, you do.
>>
>>377002693
you can get endings that are considered 'good' while using typhon mods, you just don't necessarily survive in one of them.
>>
>>377002693
>I didn't play the game
>>
>>377001071
>They feed on sentience
How do they even survive, its not that space is overflowing with sencient species.
>>
>>377002768
>good ending
>you just don't necessarily survive
Pick one.
>>
>>376993410
It's absurdly bland, the story is full retard and the enemies are boring as fuck.
>>
>>377002808
the "thought" is that they're the reason for the real-life paradox mentioned throughout the game of "with how big the universe is surely there must be sentient life, but if so - how is it possible that none of them have achieved space travel? or even contacted us?"
one possible answer to that is that sentient life always dies or is killed before it reaches that point, with that being the typhon here. it existed, but the typhon killed it first.
>>
>>377002897
>the story is full retard
brainlet detected
>>
>>377001942
I really hope someone was fired for that opening title crawl
>>
>>377002557
I played System Shock 2 fairly recently and no, not really. The enemies are actually a joke towards the end, the only real fucking problem you'll be facing is their sometimes completely riddiculous respawn rate, which however makes them a chore, not a challenge. I love the game, god knows that I do, but the problem of challenge is pretty much the same in both games. What Prey had and System Shock 2 did not have is actually good enemy and encounter design. Enemies were always by far the weakest element of the game: they were dull, uninspired, fighting them actually rarely required too much of a planning or thought: all of that was provided by other mechanics, including resource management, but the actual combat could very easily be solved by one of the many direct-damage dealing tools and most of their damage output could be very easily avoided.

Prey's high lethality even with a lot of mods and upgrades, the lack of trully powerful direct damage dealers and very, very beefy late game enemies are a better model, design wise. The game DOES still have balance issues, there is no doubt about that: it needs some kind of hardcore mode: But System Shock 2 had very much the same problem. Enemies themselves were not really a threat in the last third of that game as well.
>>
>>377003089
the music is so good but the city itself looks like a blurry mess, i don't know if it's any better on max settings
>>
>>377003019
Literally a dead space plot rip off.
>>
>>377003023
>it was all a dream~~~~
>not the worst trope ever seen
>>
>>377003196
literally brainlet detected
>>
>>377002897
The story indeed ins't great: it's not terrible, it's not 2006 Prey level of awful, but it's not great either.

Rest of that is just bullshit. The enemies are very well designed, mechanically speaking, and the game is incredibly organic and rich in detail and options. It's everything but not bland. You are either just flat out lying, or you are actually, literally braindead and cannot process even basic mechanic structures of the game.
>>
File: image.png (8KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
8KB, 512x512px
>377003231
>>
>>377003272
>brainlet tactics
>>
Harvey is seriously still trying to shill this fucking garbage?

This is just humiliating beyond belief
>>
File: EYE_Divine_Cybermancy_Artwork_1.jpg (194KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
EYE_Divine_Cybermancy_Artwork_1.jpg
194KB, 1920x1080px
>>377003196
It's almost as if you want to have your legs broken.
>>
>>377003153
That's the point... It's a simulated city.
>>
>>376998440
>If you're any good at it and playing to win, you'll become so powerful so quickly that the rest of the game becomes dull, even if you're playing on Nightmare.

This so fucking much, with Recycling, Necropsy and Dismantle I had looted and recycled so much shit over the course of the game that I;

A) Never ran out of Shotgun and Pistol Ammo
B) Made enough Neuromods to completely fill out Engineering and Science, most of Security and 3 of the best Typhon mods
C) Constantly had 30+ Medkits thanks to all the food and Medical Operators as well as 50+ Psi Hypos cause they throw so many at you

Is anyone else really disappointed in the Nightmare as well? When I first saw him he looked really imposing with the countdown timer but it just took 8 shotgun shells close range to kill him. He's just sorta free Exotic Material when he finally shows up consistently.
>>
>>377001942
>So uninsipred
>obvios inspiration from number of well known games
>it's so uninspired
>>
>>376997578
I only got the Typhon powers to save telepath controlled people. I didn't feel like getting lit up by turrets.
>>
>>377003430
(you)
>>
>>377003430
so that's why the mirrors dont work, the whole game is a simulation!
>>
>>377003148
>which makes them a chore, not challenging
I think it ties into the gameplay of resource management and feeling hunted, when enemies spawn maybe two at a time at max and you ALWAYS hear them coming like Prey. There's no tension, not really. I remember certain enemies in SS2 being fairly difficult to avoid damage from in close quarters and actually running low on resources from time to time, no such thing in PREY.

>high lethality even with a lot of mods and upgrades
Rendered moot by anything ranged being incredibly easy to dodge and how time pauses when you decide you want to eat ten apples and go back to full health. for human players you have a barrier of health to protect yourself, for alien players you have a wide variety of damage-avoiding powers like phantom step and backlash.

>lack of truly powerful damage dealers
The fully upgraded and perk'd shotgun can annihilate the greater phantoms in 2-3 shots max and with combat focus on a human build you can kill a nightmare in one full tube easily. The Shockwave psi-power might as well be a nuke, doing massive damage in an AOE, higher than anything else, able to either clear a room outright or render it simplistic to clean up.

>very very beefy late game enemies
as said before shockwave and combat focus render all late game enemies essentially trivial, not even bioshock big daddy tier difficult- and the fact that they don't come in number renders them even more boring and pathetic. They give you such great strength that DOOM-tier enemy numbers would've been fine, honestly. A genuine challenge.

>>377003430
you could argue that and I thought about that, but I think the point was to instill the sense of "woah, it was all a simulation?! in the player. In the moment, you're just like "holy fuck, this is hideous. Developers did a bad job."It's not really like realizing that that prop you were carrying around outside the elevator is on the same place on the 'next floor.'
>>
File: mirror1.jpg (872KB, 1968x805px) Image search: [Google]
mirror1.jpg
872KB, 1968x805px
>>377003830
Holy shit, that explains everything.
>>
>>377003875
I fucked up that first paragraph.
>*I think it ties into the gameplay of resource management and feeling hunted. When enemies spawn maybe two at a time at max and you ALWAYS hear them coming like Prey there's no tension, not really.
>>
>>377003875
Another thing I feel like I should point out is that System Shock actually never sends more than three or four enemies at any given time: it's actually painfully obvious that Prey borrowed this design decision (this and the actual gunplay itself) from the great original.

And while I understand why SS2 did it's own respawning thing: considering how low-threatening the enemies got very fast, and combined with the fact that enemies did not scale up, meaning that by half-mark point most of the enemies respawning were just zero threat all together. It's a flawed design: understandable but not great.

I think Prey's approach of letting the enemies spawn only after completing certain main story tasks, but actually repopulating the locations with new and more adequate threats is slightly better solution.

As for the fact that enemies don't get the jump on player: Yeah. This is clearly a design decision, and the enemy design is centered around this fact. It's a game that prioritizes pre-meditated conflict: and is mainly balanced around that notion. It's a design decision that can be argued for and against, really: I like it, more than I liked SS2's approach because it makes the encounters themselves more interesting and makes environment more important. It's true that it does reduce the tension though.

>Rendered moot by anything ranged being incredibly easy to dodge
First of all, have you actually played SS2? Because the ranged attacks are all based on those in SS2, the difference in Prey is that they are also homing, making them extremely difficult to dodge at close ranges without having to turn into a different direction and running away. It's a pretty clever way to make melee attacks more risky, as if the enemy manages to fire off a single shot while you are racing towards it, you are going to lose a massive chunk of your health.
It's harder to dodge than what SS2 actually features is my point.
Cont.
>>
>>376997578
It has light effect.

In the destroy ending January will flat out tell you you're not okay to leave with the shit you have in your system and you'll have to kill him to escape. Doesn't stop you from escaping, just makes it 'immoral' to do so.
>>
>>377003875
>The fully upgraded and perk'd shotgun
Well, yeah. That is end-game shit and you still have to deal with all the non-mid game threats. I mean I do agree that the game has an issue of simply giving the player too many neuro-mods and weapon upgrade kits, so that he can have most skills unlocked and his weapons pimped out in late mid-game: that is easily the game's biggest issue, as the rest of the balancing does not seem to account for this.
But again, the enemies still are more threatening than those in SS2: it's a valid issue but not something that would set the two games apart.

>They give you such great strength that DOOM-tier enemy numbers would've been fine, honestly.
While rebalancing is in order, increasing enemy numbers is not a solution, in fact it makes negative sense considering the entire design of the game.
>>
>>377004552
yeah, and because we can actually craft neuromods, the game just turns into easy mode no matter what difficulty you play on
>>
>>376993410
Any way to change the language ?
>>
>>377004684
Sorry, Ivan, no russian.
>>
Where do I level up my weapons?
>>
>>377004756
right click, select upgrade
>>
>>377004756
gotta recycle them first to get the next version.
>>
>>377004645
>yeah, and because we can actually craft neuromods,
Hate to disagree with you even on this: but I never crafted neuromods and I still felt like I have too many of them. There is a major dump of useful shit at the point where you reach Crew Quarters, the game dumps like 15 mods in that location alone: there are too many of them even without the crafting. The option to also craft them, while making Exotic matter actually a really common and easy-to-come-by resources, that was just a cherry on the top.
This crap really needs to be rebalanced somehow. The rest of the game is actually seriously amazing, and I think the flaws the game has are not making it significantly worse than SS2 which also had it's own set of flaws: but yeah, the powercreep is poorly handled and most of it boils down to the same few stupid decisions: Too many neuromods, infinite free heals and repairs from Ops, and too high yields from recycling.
The rest, including enemy design, weapon design, etc... is actually really good. It's just the abundance of resources and some free options to heal and repair.
>>
>>376993410
Shit hangs up sometimes and my weapons seem to disappear from my hands even though I have them equipped. Is this a texture loading issue?
How do I fix it?
>>
>>377004963
crack or legit
>>
>>377004998
legit
>>
>>377005116
dunno, works on my cracked version.
specs?
>>
>>377004756
>people are this stupid
Hi DSP
>>
>>377004386
>never actually sends more than three or four enemies at any given time
except for the final boss - and generally, the density of enemies is a lot greater. In Prey you'll maybe ten enemies in an area, much less than you'll find in SS. It sends multiple enemies at you far more often, as well. As I said, there are maybe three in prey where you're being aggro'd by four plus enemies at a time.

>Enemies were no thread at all in SS2
Eh. Cyborg Assassins, constant spiders, rumblers and psi reavers were all generally spookier than any of the phantoms.
>I think Prey's approach of letting the enemies spawn only after completing certain main story tasks, but actually repopulating the locations with new and more adequate threats is slightly better solution.
But that's the issue, they're not adequate threats. Not only do they not match up to the player, they're also so little in number that it's a cakewalk.
>I like it
Subjective and I don't mind it in games where the player is truly at a disadvantage and needs to plan their attack - but this is not the case beyond early, early game Prey. By crew quarters on my second run I was mowing through everything with the shotgun without giving it more than two seconds of thought. Not planning out encounters, just blowing them away.
>Have you played SS2?
yep
>the ranged attacks are all based on those in SS2
A little, but you have far more room to maneuver and with the lack of resource troubles you can open up your menu and chug down food the second you get hit by anything in frozen time.
>If an enemy fires off a shot while you're running towards it you're going to lose a massive chunk of health
If you're sprinting STRAIGHT AT an enemy? Maybe. Otherwise no, the tracking doesn't really come into play at close-ish range and you can easily sidestep it. It's longer range where homing becomes more problematic, and still - cover is everywhere.

Cont.
>>
>>377005116
try changing the texture quality, game seems to switch out graphics quite aggressively
>>
>>377005208
>graphics
meant textures
>>
>>377004823
Was there any actual point to the new schematics you would get? I just used the dlc Shotgun all game
>>
>>377004552
>That is end-game shit
No, dude. This is the problem, it's not. I had it all by crew quarters. Crew quarters. if you know where you're going and are vaguely aware of how to manage resources, you become end-game powerful by the time you meet sho or igwe in cargo bay and become so powerful that all of the backtracking and story quests you do afterwards that continue to not up the ante or increase enemy threat become dull.
I don't know if I agree that enemies are more threatening than those in SS2 because you have so many measures to avoid damage altogether. Getting hit in a bad position is scary in SS2, it's literally just 'brb scroll wheel' in Prey. There's no "alright final exam time let's see how you built your character" confrontation in Prey, the difficulty becomes flat at mid-game and remains unchanging most of the way through.
>>
>>377005197
You are right about the final boss, but I can't say I liked that design either. I don't think I'm alone on that too.

But the enemy density is not higher. That is just not true. In fact, multiple enemies are an EXTREME rarity in System Shock 2, while Prey is quite fond of sending Phantoms in pairs and mimics in threes or fours.
Also, the enemies in Prey are generally actually just a lot tougher, while your damage options are more limited.
>Eh. Cyborg Assassins, constant spiders, rumblers and psi reavers were all generally spookier than any of the phantoms.
No. Again, love system Shock 2 but god dammit those were some AWFUL, AWFUL enemy designs: they were not threatening, they were a joke and felt like something from an entirely different and REALLY B GRADE story. Fucking space ningas and fucking giant spiders, yeah that fucking really works. The designs were awful. Early-game enemies were good: robots, midwifes etc... but my god were the later game enemies stupid, silly, and boring to fight.

Still made up for it with it's amazing resource management and fantastic level design, but god those things were EASILY the worst thing about the whole game.

>they're not adequate threats.
You yourself had to admit that you need end-game level equipment to dispatch greater phantoms cleanly. Technopaths and Telepaths are still a problem even with that shit because they just have so much health you won't solve it even by completely upgraded weaapons and all combat skills: they are more threats than anything in SS2. And SS2 respaws only enemies adequate to the level, which means you'll be fighting off endlessly respawning low-level enemies that are a joke and not a threat at all in half of the locations.
That said, it also does rely a lot less on backtracking, so that kinda mitigates the issue, but also throws the entire sense of the enemy respawns in question.

You can argue that Prey can get too easy, but CAN'T argue that System Shock 2 does not.
>>
>>377003267
>it's not 2006 Prey level of awful,

Prey 2006 at least had style, atmosphere and a good art direction, it wasn't bioshock-lite right down to the font you see everywhere

>The enemies are very well designed

all of them are black blobs, almost all of them rely on melee and not a single one of them is even vaguely interesting.
>>
This OST is so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPPJZNLk65k
>>
>>377005873
why the fuck would a soundtrack video need 4k ultra HD, is this a new meme?
>>
>>377005297
notice how the dlc shotgun and golden gun have golden icons in the weapon wheel? it's like that, you get a better base weapon so when you upgrade it its superior to the old version.
>>
>>377005197
>yep
Must have been a long time, because you are clearly not remembering much of it. Including the enemy numbers and also the way that the game handled it's own ranged attacks. You see:
>Otherwise no, the tracking doesn't really come into play at close-ish
That is just a pure, unmedicated lie. The entire projectiles are designed around a simple concept: they can be outran pretty easily, but they can't be side-stepped. They move too slowly and lock on too strongly, no amount of side-stepping will get you out of their range. You have either SPRINT past them, or put something between them and you. Which means that unless you break the line of sight, turn on a dime and start sprinting away, you will be hit by them if you are in close range.
And you should be familiar with this desing: because it's lifted ENTIRELY AND PURELY from System Shock 2. It's one of the several systems they just simply borrowed without changing a single thing to it.

So you bitching about it does make me wonder how much do remember about SS2. I guess it's really a not whole lot. Which is fine, I guess, it's that it would be far more honest of you to admit that SS2 has become some kind of completely romanticized vague ideal that has nothing to do with the real thing, and that the things you are bitching about in Prey are things you seemed to praise in SS2, showing that there is something skewed about your perspective.
>>
>>377005602
>technopaths and telepaths are still a problem
They're not.
>throw nullwave grenade or use psychoshock so they literally can't use any powers or attacks at all
>get up close
>spam shotgun with optional combat focus or shockwave somewhere in there
Always works. You can also kill a technopath from 0-death with the stun gun and it can't do anything, like electric gel on a big daddy but easier.

>you literally admitted you need end game equipment to dispatch greater phantoms cleanly
It's not end-game equipment if you can easily get it by mid-game, is it? My friend had a few weapons fully upgraded BEFORE he hit the arboretum. Also, you still don't really. You just throw a grenade/psychoshock and get in his face with the shotgun. This works with every enemy in the game except for maybe the operators where you switch out the shotgun with the stun gun. This is where Prey and Bioshock/System Shock differ. Whereas even with a guide in system shock or bioshock you still have a cap on how strong you can get to maintain balance, in Prey there's nothing stopping you from just beelining all the hidden neuromods and becoming so ludicrously powerful that every enemy is a joke. Even Telepaths. Even Technopaths. Even the nightmare.

>prey sends mimics in threes and fours and phantoms in pairs all the time
finished the game twice, you're flat out wrong.

i'll admit it's been maybe two years since i played through SS2 so I might be foggy in some areas but I definitely had far more difficulty in that game than i ever had in Prey, and I think it has a lot to do with pacing.
>>
>>377006063
Oh shit

So was I using gimped weapons the whole game? I used all the shit that I got the first time.

Maybe that's why I didn't find the game anywhere near as easy as some people seemed to.
>>
>>377005858
>Prey 2006 at least had style, atmosphere and a good art direction,
Stop, you are killing me! Jesus!
God damn you are a moron. Original Prey was one of the most absolutely braindead, bland, tasteless, completely generic pile of shit I've ever seen. There was no "style" or "atmosphere" and certainly not anything resembling art direction. It was a hideous collection of really fucking stupid and boring clichés.

Arkane's Prey does not have stellar art direction, but at least it has some.

>all of them are black blobs,
You don't understand a SINGLE THING about actual enemy design, do you?
>>
>>377006085
>you can't side-step projectiles period
this is flat-out incorrect
have you finished prey
>>
>>377006246
>not an argument

How boring. Is this really the best that you get paid for?

>muh enemy design is all about mechanics, actual look and animation doesn't come into account!

Holy shit, keep going, this is amazing!
>>
>>377006115
>>prey sends mimics in threes and fours and phantoms in pairs all the time
>finished the game twice, you're flat out wrong.
Not that anon, but that's been happening to me pretty regularly.
>>
>>377006246
(you)
>>
What crack bullshit?
>>
>>377006393
there are a few rooms with phantoms in pairs but for the most part phantoms are close together, but easily engaged one on one.

there are i think three parts where the game throws a large pack of mimics at you, all in psychotronics. The two parts I can think of where fighting a duo of phantoms is enforced are both in the lobby. I'm sure there are a few more but at that point you have shockwave or combat focus and it's just kinda easy
>>
File: prey-xbox-360_n2qb.jpg (340KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
prey-xbox-360_n2qb.jpg
340KB, 1280x960px
>>377006246
>this game is " one of the most absolutely braindead, bland, tasteless, completely generic piles of shit"
>this game has no "style" or "atmosphere" and certainly not anything resembling art direction.
>this game was "a hideous collection of really fucking stupid and boring clichés"

sure, buddy, don't you have to cry about IGN's 4.0 on twitter some more
>>
>>377006949
to be fair, cool ideas like portals and reverse gravity and the weird weapon designs aside...

the engine just makes prey look like doom, riddick, and every other game made on idtech 4, weirdly ugly and generic
>>
>>377006661
Why would you buy combat focus in the first place?
I tend to never pick such skills like cheat vision in stealth games.
Never upgraded medkits too and game is challenging enough for me.

The game is not the hardest ever but just look at the Steam forums where 90% of people complain about the game being frustrating.
It is required for devs to take thoses retards into consideration.
>>
>>377006235
Same here man. Can't wait for my second playthroufh now.
>>
>>377006949
Is this supposed to look good?
>>
>>377007105
>power is in the game
>"well you're not supposed to use that it's a cheat skill"
>have literally no other powers i want to spend neuromods on because it's a human run

come on, man
>>
Dishonored 2 was better imo.

Random rants:
Cruising through the G.U.T.S is so fucking boring it hurts.
Ending was great but end of the game got kinda abrupt.
The space station seems really big at start, but once you've been to life support and crew cabins, you realize how small it is as a whole.
Backtracking for side missions was a pain in the ass because levels are kinda short so loading screens become plethora, and most of the time level you backtrack through are empty because monsters don't respawn fast enough / numerous enough.
Monsters felt all same-y, especially phantoms.
Mimics were awesome enemies, so many little jumpscares, but in the end they were so fucking harmless.
Once you've maxed security weapons skills & the awesome bullet time you're an unstoppable killing machine, big ass monsters become a joke.
Looting monsters in zero gravity is so annoying when they start flying away and you can't keep track of their body.
I feel so blueballed when games give me super powers but mana doesn't recharge on its own (I know about tap water & the armor mod but it's like 1mana/5sec).
I would have loved the game to be more of a shooter, especially since you amass so much resources.

Loved the game, especially the big mindfuck that happens right at the very beginning of the game but had so many minor annoyances.
>>
>>377007040
>cool ideas like portals and reverse gravity and the weird weapon designs aside
Yeah, lets just ignore everything that made the game distinct
>but mah idtech 4, so generic!
>>
File: 3.jpg (146KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
146KB, 1024x819px
>>377007158
Don't worry, anon. We don't blame you for not playing games released before you were born.
>>
I keep having those dreams...
>>
>>377003171
dead space didn't invent this idea
>>
>>377007365
idtech 4 just looks that bad, man.
>>
File: 1.jpg (131KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
131KB, 1024x819px
>>377007040
to be fair, prey does look miles better than doom 3 and quake 4

riddick is a class apart and doesn't look at all like the other 3
>>
>>377007367
I was born 1990 faggot and Doom 2 was more inspired than shit brown garbage.
>>
>>377007408
>lets just recycle the same old shit over and over, hoping that everyone who remembers how overused this is already died or doen't play video games anymore
>>
>>377007529
that idea originated outside of videogames
>>
File: bait 2.jpg (40KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait 2.jpg
40KB, 625x626px
>>377007517
>>
>>377007586
And?
>>
File: Prey.jpg (595KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Prey.jpg
595KB, 1600x1200px
>>377007517
You were born 1990 faggot? Sorry, I don't understand underage talk.
>>
Turrets were so fucking useless in this game, I spent half my playtime hacking shit to have them flipped over or destroyed literally ONE second after an engagement has started. I've realized having played it that the best tactic is to just run.
>>
>>377008064
You need to upgrade them and at least put some shit in front of them so that phantoms don't one shot them from 200 metters away.
>>
I loved the gameplay, the setting, the open nature of the station was great.

The ending is kinda meh for a few reasons:

1. Choices during the game are meaningless.
2. You don't know what actually transpired during the true timeline.
3. The final choice is the only thing that mattered, but it cuts to black right away.
>>
>>377008392
is it gunshot fade to black
>>
>>377004787
>>377004823
>>377005194
I'm a fucking idiot, somehow I thought the "Gunsmith" requirement meant some sort of workshop.
>>
>>377008462
It's either handshake then cut to black or kill Alex, cut to black.
>>
>>377008392

Actually the choices aren't meaningless.

If you play the game like a general asshole you don't get the shake hand option
>>
>>377008052
>>377007367
>>377006949
Man I want to replay Prey now.
>>
>>377007408
No, but Dead Space's entire plotline revolves around it's name - and the Femi Paradox, in that humanity hasn't encountered other aliens because another alien race has been eating them.
>>
>>377009281
>shaking someones hand or not is the only thing that matters

holy shit how did anyone greenlight this game?
>>
>>377009420

Still more choice than most AAA games
>>
>>377002257
Yes. In order to make a working mirror in a video game, you essentially have to render the environment a second time. With games being as demanding as they are now having to do that really eats into performance, especially on consoles.

A popular solution is to render the 'reflection' at a lower resolution, but it looks like total ass. Honestly it's not worth it.
>>
Is there any way to save Danielle Sho? Like, I thought it was really dumb - just tell her to come in through a goddamn airlock. I've opened them all for fuck sake.
>>
>>377010203

Haven't found it myself but there should be because there's a spare seat on the shuttle
>>
>>376993410
>bullet sponge enemies
only the nightmare on nightmare on a no mod run feels this way. Everything else dies pretty quick if you're using your weapons effectively.
>>
>Reasons to include a slo-mo ability in a game: 0
>Lets keep adding them for some reason

Prey's biggest fault
>>
>>377003196
Hardly a dream when its based on Morgan's memories.
>>
>Game is a VR sim
>No VR support

IT'S NOT FAIR
>>
>>377010393
Just don't take it.
Also Max Payne would be a way worse game without slo-mo.
>>
>>377009401
Are you implying that Prey, a game which showcases that sentient being are *prey* to a giant world eating space faring race, does not follow the same conventions down to the letter?
>>
>>376993410
>no coop
No deal for me.
>>
>Max out Q-beam
>Get max slowdown ability from security tree
>mfw
Boy, this game sure isn't selling me on those alien abilities. I'm on hard and I can't image using anything else besides what I've got.
>>
Finished the game yesterday.

Overall a gret game, easily GOTY contender.
I have some grips with it (mostly resources/difficulty) but it doesn't really matter when everything else (world building to level design) almost flawless.

I'd rated it above the recent Deus Ex games or Dishonored but I wouldn't say it reaches the quality of original Deus Ex or System Shock.
>>
>>377010621

I'm the exact opposite, just take the organic/robotic control upgrades from the typhon tree and never have to care about combat ever again.

Then in late game when you get the fucking PSI regen chip nothing can ever go wrong.
>>
>>377010621
Human tree is waaay better. Alien tree has some fun stuff though.
>>
>>377010621
That's because combat focus is not only outrageously broken, but completely out of place for not being a typhon ability
>>
>>377010701
>quality of original Deus Ex
>very badly done shooting
>stealth is even worse
>dat voiceacting
Top quality game indeed.
>>
ive heard lots about ps4 input lag problems

how noticeable is it? does it actually affect how much fun the game is?
>>
>>377010564
I don't know what point you are trying to make or who you thought you were replying to. I'm was agreeing that Prey was ripping off Dead Space's entire plot point.

I still love Prey.
>>
File: 1432236656698.gif (2MB, 266x240px) Image search: [Google]
1432236656698.gif
2MB, 266x240px
>>376997503
I had the same outcome there, but the nice thing is after I researched the ayys more and spent my neuromods I came back and killed both of them without taking hardly any damage.

The progression of finding harder and harder enemies until you reach the tipping point of overpowered bullshit is pretty enjoyable. Used to run like a little baby man when the nightmare showed up on nightmare and now I just raise a phantom and psy-blast him and slap his shit.
>>
>>377010621
>tfw generalist
Jack of all trades, master of fun_
>>
>>377010968
>Playing multiplats on PS4
Get it on PC. Sony consoles have always had shit optimization for multiplat titles.
>>
Why is there a second loading screen after you finish loading an area?
>>
>>377011809
Probably populating the map with enemies and the junk you throw around.
>>
>>377001071
>Lack mirror neurons
>yet mimic everything

That doesn't seem right.
>>
>>377010968
No, but be prepared for 1 minute loading screens each time you want to go to a different area. Prey was made with pc as the primary platform.
>>
>>376996953
The zero g movement was fucking perfect dude

Comfiest feel I've had in Vidya in years
>>
File: poster_-_forbidden_planet_03.jpg (2MB, 2909x2284px) Image search: [Google]
poster_-_forbidden_planet_03.jpg
2MB, 2909x2284px
>>377011037
But its not a new idea and Dead Space didn't come up with it. No disrespect to that franchise, I just read alot of sci-fi and this was the most generic plot-hole-filling fantheory i could come up with.
>>
>>377012136
>Stephanie Preston and Frans de Waal,[53] Jean Decety,[54][55] and Vittorio Gallese[56][57] and Christian Keysers[3] have independently argued that the mirror neuron system is involved in empathy.
>A large number of experiments using fMRI, electroencephalography (EEG) and magnetoencephalography (MEG) have shown that certain brain regions (in particular the anterior insula, anterior cingulate cortex, and inferior frontal cortex) are active when people experience an emotion (disgust, happiness, pain, etc.) and when they see another person experiencing an emotion.[58][59][60][61][62][63][64]
>David Freedberg and Vittorio Gallese have also put forward the idea that this function of the mirror neuron system is crucial for aesthetic experiences.[65]
>>
>>376996989
Nullwave it and it takes a lot of extra damage. Pistol works best
>>
>>376996994
>>376997163
You don't even need to waste ammo on them.

Just throw any prop past them and they'll all go for it.
>>
File: 1331661895402.gif (145KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1331661895402.gif
145KB, 640x480px
>make crack for game
>upload game version with game-breaking bug
>>
While I like how Prey did the 70s low-fi aesthetic, I am aware it's becoming a meme: pick a time period and base your game around that.

As far as I'm aware, no other game did 70s low-fi, right? The Golden 20's, and 40s-50s have been done to death. And I think the XCOM shooter did 60s.
>>
Is nightmare impossible and hard the sensible choice?
>>
>>377012906
Technically its not low-fi. All the computer terminals are about what you'd expect from today's interfaces and looking-glass is nearly star-trek.
>>
>>377012579
No, perhaps not, but Dead Space is probably the only video game I can think of that's actually focused on the Femi Paradox and talked about it... Well, before Prey.
>>
>>377012906
Actually, Prey is a mix-match of art-styles coming from the fact the station was bought, designed and redesigned throughout different time periods.
>>
File: Prey 05.15.2017 - 15.18.58.21.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Prey 05.15.2017 - 15.18.58.21.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>377013028
Nightmare seems fine to me so far, and I've heard that it gets easier as you unlock more stuff
>>
>>377009846
>Yes. In order to make a working mirror in a video game, you essentially have to render the environment a second time. With games being as demanding as they are now having to do that really eats into performance, especially on consoles.

They didn't have that problem with the looking glass stuff though. Couldn't they just have the 'camera' for those in reverse as the mirror?

Also bear in mind that the mirrors are in very isolated areas with little opposite. It's not like they have to render the entire lobby.
>>
>>377013243
>>377013361
Nah, with the sole exception of the LCD screens and the intro cityscape, the game is Kubrickian as fuck.
>>
So i'm going through Shuttle Bay right now. First place I visited after doing the GUTS.

Two questions;

1. The oxygen is fucked. I can't see any visible damage to repair, and a voice recorder said it wasn't exposure to space, but something to do with the oxygen system. Am I able to repair it, because the distorted sound is FUCKING ANNOYING.

2. nvm googld it ;)))
>>
>>377004823
Wait what?

There's an upgrade system other than the upgrade kits?
>>
>>377013520
The player can't modify the areas shown in the looking glass segments. What do you do when a player kicks around a bunch of toilet rolls, or carries in objects from another room, or sprays the entire bathroom with the cummie cannon?
>>
>>377014407
If you noclip outside playable bounds to where those areas are rendered, you can interact with them.
>>
>If you open the greenhouse quick enough the guy that was begging to get out just stands there with no ai
They gave you way too much time with him banging on the door for there not to be an option to save him
Only thing about the game thats bugged me so far
>>
>>377014407
How does interaction change the render time though? A model's a model.
>>
>>377014757
Because you're just looking through a window to that area. A mirror would have to duplicate what's happening in the player's space; a space the player can fuck up to an insane degree.
>>
File: Prey Nerf Gun.webm (3MB, 702x394px) Image search: [Google]
Prey Nerf Gun.webm
3MB, 702x394px
Could have been a really cool game but they completely ruined the replyabilitiy.

Pic related.

Instead of having meaningful choices with the neuromods- pretty much any obstacle that you'd need leverage or hacking or mimicry to get past can just be passed in some other way. It pretty much makes your neuromod choice irrelevant.
>>
>>377015073
There are a few spots i've found that require the mimic ability and can't be accessed without it.
>>
I'm just barely into the game, but that soundtrack is swell. What's the genre? Makes me think Kavinsky or some neonwave something something pretentious name. I like it.
>>
>>377015064
>a window

Yes, dingus. Now imagine if you set the porthole camera facing out from a looking glass, and have it reflect the inside of a room. Let's call this window a "mirror".
>>
>>377015073
Yeah it feels like they were worried about upsetting completionists by locking two much away. Which is silly because a completionist would just fabricate more mods to access them.

Same with the guns you find always being base stats, reportedly so people don't feel like they wasted an upgrade kit. Those kits can also be made.
>>
>No idea what the game is about
>Played the first one ages ago, so expected aliens and shit
>That intro in the chopper
>PREY, against a blue sky backdrop with the sun, birds flying and future synth music
This was a pretty good trick to make me think it wasn't a scary space horror shooter
>>
>>377015073
You talk as if the average gamer understand that there's always a second non-skill way in.

That's actually my biggest gripe with Deus Ex MD and to a lesser extent HR. Fucking airducks EVERYWHERE if you just bother to actually look around
>>
File: 1484449734464.png (148KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1484449734464.png
148KB, 800x800px
>Escape Pod side-mission.
>Already fixed the pod in EVA so I just eject it immediately.
>Emmanuella says thanks and she'll give me the coords to some hidden shit.
>Apparently I already found it.
>Go look up a side-missions guide.
>Doesn't mention what the shit was, but it does mention a tonne of other side-missions i've never gotten because I apparently already completed them prior to finding the trigger.

This fucking bullshit right here, dude.
>>
Uncracked games are a minority even among AAA. Just check CrackWatch.
>>
>>377016562
I dont see a problem here
>>
>>376993410
9/10

Arkane is fast becoming one of my favourite developers. They are masters of level design, exploration and options when approaching gameplay. Most underrated developers right now in my opinion
>>
Started playing for a bit and it was kinda boring. When the enemies finally started showing up after the long intro they took like all my HP using their "darken and blur the screen" technique and I had to just quickload until I knew where they spawned and kill them one by one. Maybe it's better on Normal, will try it later.
>>
>>377016714
>Most underrated developers right now in my opinion
agreed. It's like people forgot they made Dark Messiah and Bioshock 2
>>
>>377016714
this
shame that prey could be their last proper game because how much d2 and prey sold
>>
File: 1491605021368.jpg (44KB, 397x655px) Image search: [Google]
1491605021368.jpg
44KB, 397x655px
>>377016965
>game is too hard
These posts are bait right? I keep hearing about how people think this game is hard, but I breezed through it on nightmare and I'm pretty fucking bad at most games i play.
>>
File: 1441885176004.jpg (132KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1441885176004.jpg
132KB, 500x375px
>>377016002
>airducks
>>
>>377017470
I don't think so. For example I am struggling against Techno / Telepaths on Hard. Could very well be that I'm not using my abilities correctly and the game gives you quite a good amount of tools and powers.

I do enjoy the difficulty tho. Feels pretty good taking those shits down.
>>
>>377016714
Their only good games are Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah. Prey and Dishonored are both total disgraces to the games they attempt to rip off.
>>
File: 20170513223517_1.jpg (443KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170513223517_1.jpg
443KB, 1920x1080px
>nightmare mode
>upgrade security weapons mod
>upgrade shotgun
>this guy dies and explodes in just a few shots

Is that it?
>>
>>377018129
There's a little OP piece of shit called the disruptor stun gun, use it against those miniboss type aliens

>stun
>shoot
>stun
>shoot
>>
A really, really awful game. I'm about 2 hours in, and I have such an insane surplus of material and ammo that I don't feel even remotely threatened, playing on hard. I've died twice, once from walking into an electric conduit to see what would happen, and the other from swinging at a mimic and hitting a gas tube.

SS2 on fucking normal was a million times harder than this. Timing your swings with the wrench, darting back and forth, it was just objectively more complex than this. The stamina bar is meaningless, you can run around all day and smack every object you see if you really want. I think I ran out once because I wasn't even looking, just swinging at the ground, and I STILL managed to kill the mimic with zero stamina swings without even taking a hit.

The story seems awful, the level design would have been tolerable if they at least tried to stop me gaming the system, you can climb infinitely with gloo and prop push objects that need max strength out of your way.

I'm just utterly underwhelmed at every turn by how subpar the game is. I think even Bioshock was more fun than this.
>>
>>377018252
> TES rip-off
> Two Worlds rip-off

Please.
>>
>>377017005
>Bioshock 2
Really? Were they at 2k back then?
>>
>Flying around in G.U.T.S
>Weaver at the end of the tunnel
>Leverage 3
>RAMMING SPEED

I turned my body into a cannon and it goddamn works.
Shit conserves momentum which was amazing because most games just don't bother.
>>
>>377006949
>sure, buddy, don't you have to cry about IGN's 4.0 on twitter some more

where? they gave it an 8
>>
File: IMG_2380.gif (2MB, 202x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2380.gif
2MB, 202x360px
>Well yeah we can make the Typhon feel if we simulate memories,but we're not going to do that
>jk lol

So did Morgan even exist or was he just a fig newton of fatty's imagination?
>>
>>377018440
You'll run out of material soon enough.

2 hours isn't enough to judge the story. Explore, read shit.
>>
>>377018795
Morgan is real, the simulation was based on his memories. He's probably dead
>>
>>377018642
Leverage 3 is how you win the game

Throwing shit just does way too much damage
>>
>>377018440
>really awful game. I'm about 2 hours in, and I have such an insane surplus of material and ammo

come on man
>>
>>377005910
youtube compressed audio based on the video resolution

so a 720p video won't have as good of audio as a 4k video

it's retarded
>>
>>377018454
If you had played either of those games you'd have used accurate examples of what they rip off, like Ultima Underworld instead of TES. Good job outing yourself, newshit.
>>
>>377018795
January was there so perhaps.
>>
File: 1479415170904.png (323KB, 466x575px) Image search: [Google]
1479415170904.png
323KB, 466x575px
>>377018912
>he
>>
>>377012775
You could just buy the game. It's good.
>>
>>377019038
Sorry, I meant xer
>>
>>377018992
Glad we agree. This studio is completely uninspired when it comes to game design.
>>
File: 1474404847449.png (5KB, 177x149px) Image search: [Google]
1474404847449.png
5KB, 177x149px
>>377019220
it's a she, thank you very much
>>
>>377019282
Morgan's a man. Female options are always non-canon because women are ugly and they smell bad.
>>
File: 1476108462495.jpg (56KB, 251x246px) Image search: [Google]
1476108462495.jpg
56KB, 251x246px
>Cook locks me in the freezer
>Lose my special shotgun
>>
>>377019783
you don't get your gear taken away from you then though

unless you did something drastically different
>>
>>377019764
They also poop. Fucking gross.
>>
>>377019783

Is the pre-order shotgun any different from the normal shotgun, apart from visually? I didn't even touch it on my first playthrough.

I didn't even pre-order the game and I still got the pre-order stuff for some reason
>>
Why does the audio sound so muffled?
>>
>>377020238
It overall performs better I think, like i.e. the golden pistol you can find normally in the later game
>>
>>377020302
I thought I was the only one who noticed this.

That's pretty much the first thing I thought when I launched the game, especially just after playing Metro 2033: Redux which has crisp sounds.
>>
>>377020401
the golden pistol is a flat upgrade but the shotgun is just aesthetics
>>
>>377019783
People on SPUF were bitching about the Crew Quarters level transition stealing items from their inventory.
>>
I can't quite put my finger on it yet but from videos and images it looks like total garbage, visually, to a point it's unplesant to look at. I think it's tthe textures that seem out of place somehow.
>>
>>377020676
That's probably it, I just noticed my shotgun was gone once I got back to arboretum and I thought it was a result of that
>>
>>377020931
colors are too vivid and kinda gives me a headache

everything is too clean and the maps overall don't feel "lived" in. Like the map creators just placed some objects around like a model house, but knock over a few chairs and call it good
>>
>>377020401
I wish there were special versions of every gun, so long as they're hidden.
>>
>Put turrets in the loading zone in carbo bay b

I dont understand where to put these.
>>
>Patch 1.02 fixed stuttering shadows and partially loading shadows on nvidia cards
>Performance on gtx 1060 now equal or less than Rx 580
Bad coding from arkane? Nvidia juicing drivers for better launch day performance? AMD gimping nvidia performance by bribing arkane?
>>
>>377021812
inside the big brightly colored square by the door with the letters LOADING ZONE on it.
>>
Anyone saying enemies are too bullet spongy, I recommend using the stun gun. Started one-two shotting phantoms and fourshotting telepaths after I used that

>sneak up on mob, zap them with stungun
>zapping them doesnt break stealth and lets you get a sneak damage bonus plus the damage bonus on an incapped enemy
>pull out shotgun and kill their ass dead

also technopaths get murdered super quick just with the stungun alone once you upgrade it a few times and the ammo lasts for fucking ever since it uses less charge with more upgrades too
>>
>>377021812
>not just hacking the door open and letting fate decide what happens
Thread posts: 346
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.