[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did you add to your game today? You *ARE* working on a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 13

File: gamedev.jpg (91KB, 702x713px) Image search: [Google]
gamedev.jpg
91KB, 702x713px
What did you add to your game today?

You *ARE* working on a game, aren't you?
>>
I worked on ideas for the design document and flip flopped between systems and had to rewrite almost all of it.
>>
File: happy comic character.png (14KB, 166x166px) Image search: [Google]
happy comic character.png
14KB, 166x166px
I rewrote about 20% of an old project that I'm taking up again. I feel like I have the skills to get it to work now.

It's going to be good.
>>
File: papertest.webm (2MB, 668x364px) Image search: [Google]
papertest.webm
2MB, 668x364px
Why do you keep changing the OP image
Anyway today I did this, still gotta draw NPCs, add props and fix some stuff
>>
File: Charmu.png (2KB, 240x136px) Image search: [Google]
Charmu.png
2KB, 240x136px
Just woke up, probably work on muzak today. Gotta start building up the library of music for different areas.
>>
>>376958767
in the trying to learn to code phase, i downloaded several libraries and games made in the same framework to see how they code that stuff
i don't understand 99% of it AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>376960689
Why not use an engine like gamemaker or unity?
>>
>>376960945
gamemaker went total jew so i don't think it'll be a good decision to be completely reliant on them
every unity game i played has a insanely long loading time + i heard it isn't great for 2d and i sure as hell am not deluding myself into thinking i can make a good 3d game
>>
>>376961227
If your game is pure 2D Unity shouldn't lag unless you're using huge sprites.
Depending of the game you want to make even RPG Maker could work. As long as you make your own assets and change the default systems a bit
>>
>>376961227
what did GameMaker do? I remember them having a bunch of things to make it more accessible
>>
>>376961227
>gamemaker went total jew
When did this happen? Did they change something recently?
>>
>>376961934
having performance issues in small games is too much of a deal breaker to me
and rpgmaker... i'd need to make changes to fucking everything to get the game i want to make, finding and dealing with the limitations of it would also likely defeat the point of saving time
>>
>>376962138
>>376962303
All the payment options and features you won't get if you don't pay enough, tells me enough
http://www.yoyogames.com/get
>>
>>376963193
Strange, I thought you could do PC without paying. That's pretty bad, but whatever, use Unity then
>>
>>376959636
would look better if instead of when you walk behind something that would obscure your character, it gradually becomes transparent instead of instant transparency.
>>
>>376963193
You don't need any of that shit to make your game. Use the trial version and if you actually finish your game, then you buy whatever modules you need and compile it.
>>
File: 1492510491313s.jpg (4KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1492510491313s.jpg
4KB, 250x250px
>>376958767
I'm beginning to try to learn some 3d-modeling right now
>>
>>376959636
Oh wow, I remember seeing this years ago. Good job not giving up!
>>
i'm undergoing a slow, creeping, slightly depressing realization that it's more fun to work on the engine than the game
>>
>>376961227
godot is the best choice
>>
>>376958767
your post sounds like a Sega CD commercial
>>
Just finished doing one of the most complex abilities in my game so I'm feeling hella fresh. Only 30 more to go plus interactions and specifics.
>>
r8 my music

https://clyp.it/vidtm0su
>>
>>376964619
Sounds nice anon, what is it for?
>>
>>376963193
This is news? Looks like what their payment model has been for years
>>
I'm trying to teach myself python and thought I could do a text based rpg. Already lost.

>>376959994
post lewds please
>>
>Two of these threads up at once
Get your shit together /v/.

Anywho, I got the choice system up and running so that I can now have choices happen in normal dialogue and in cutscenes and have the choices actually change where in the sequence the dialogue/cutscene goes next.
>>
>>376966142
Refused.
>>
>>376966530
When are you putting your own sprites in?
>>
Should I use unreal or unity?
>>
>>376966949
What game do you want to make?
>>
>>376966949
Do you know how to code in C++?
>>
>>376958767
I want to! But I don't really know where to start!
>>
>>376966994
Any
>>376967532
No
>>
>>376967756
Download Unreal 4 and do Blueprint tutorials.
>>
>>376958767
https://soundcloud.com/ruined_sounds/wheat-field
wrote a song. obviously akira yamaoka inspired. how does it sound?
>>
>>376967532
>implying thats relevant when BP exists
>>
>>376967904
Use Unreal then, and learn the how blueprints go

>>376968803
>Unity
>>
>>376968724
Terrible mixing, man. And are you bitcrushing? If you are, it's way too strong.
>>
>>376969518
the drums have a combination of a strong compressor going into a fuzz pedal going into a light delay effect
>>
>>376968724
It sounds promising.

What software are you using?
>>
>>376969758
thanks. i'm using fl studio for the DAW, kontakt komplete 7 jazz guitar (i can play guitar but i'm lazy), some drum break samples a friend gave me, t-racks compressor, and a guitar rig 4 fuzz pedal. built-in fl studio delay bank
>>
File: Locked Masts ship damage.webm (908KB, 754x366px) Image search: [Google]
Locked Masts ship damage.webm
908KB, 754x366px
>>376958767
>>
>>376970031
Cool.
>>
>>376969667
work on that mixing
>>
>>376970380
have you listened to the silent hill soundtracks? they're pretty abrasive on the drums at times. i figured it was alright especially since they're not even playing the whole time. what does everyone else think?
>>
>>376970521
huh, so you were inspired by silent hill
thought it sounded like something that would fit in a pixel silent hill-like game

gotta say though it would sound better and more omnious without those drums, they sound like they barged into the wrong song
>>
Oh shit what, 2 threads?
Shilling my post from the other one
>>376968949
>>
>>376970031
In desperate need of more polish with the the removal of the actual parts- but it's a cool looking system as is.
>>
>>376970521
i mean the mixing not the aesthetic choices, the mixing is bad
>>
Still working on the animation.
>>
>>376971151
the other one was posted 40 mins after this
>>
>>376962851
If you're worried about performance, I certainly wouldn't recommend RPG Maker...
It can get pretty bad without some 3rd party scripts. https://youtu.be/lXh1IKkxqBI?t=9s
>>
>>376971457
True, I'll be dressing them in some smoke and flying bits of wood when they change states.
>>
>>376971483
mind being a little more specific? are the drums too loud?
>>
File: Etserk Castle Town Ruins III.png (129KB, 800x1803px) Image search: [Google]
Etserk Castle Town Ruins III.png
129KB, 800x1803px
I'm coming up with NPCs for the second town. It's kind of a pain but it's fun.
I'm more worried about advertising and social media. It's my first (full) game so I'm not expecting it to get super popular. It's more that I just don't know what to post on Twitter.

When I do graphical stuff it's easy, but when it's something under the hood or simply not-flashy like random NPC dialogue I have no idea what to do. Then I just end up going super long without any updates which doesn't sit well with me.
>>
File: file.png (608KB, 997x935px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
608KB, 997x935px
Making a stealth game. There are different kinds of robots patrolling the maps.

Here's the first one I did. I'm learning to model so I started with something that's easy to rig and model robot. It doesn't have the saw blades out until it starts chasing you.

This is the first pass I got for it. Face will be changing expressions later on and the green lines change to red or yellow depending if the robot caught you or heard you, respectively

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Like how to make the robot more menacing or something
>>
>>376972398
I'll share you a part of my indie marketing plan
make a presskit thing on your site like
http://www.ronimo-games.com/Presskit/
with
http://dopresskit.com/

and handling twitter-> make about 90% of you game and once you set up your site and other things show off something once every few days/week
>>
>>376971073
>>376971483
https://soundcloud.com/ruined_sounds/wheat-field2
i turned down the drums and toned down the fuzz slightly. better?
>>
>>376972952
>make about 90% of you game and once you set up your site and other things show off something once every few days/week
Interesting, I thought it'd be better to start off early to gain followers and get a big audience when it's time to release.
I'll check out that presskit thing too.
Speaking of I guess I need to make a site. So far all I have is just a dev blog.
>>
I opened up GzDoom Builder today, tried to do something, couldn't, gave up in frustration 10 minutes in.
It's been going just great.
>>
>>376973310
game dev'ing takes a long time and you might change your mind and redo parts of it. also most people only care if it already looks playable, so it's best to show off the meat of your dreams rather than it's bare bones.

for example Stardew valley most likely wouldn't garner much popularity with how it looked like at first http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-1-year-anniversary/
>>
What's a good way to randomly place pre-made rooms in a grid?

Like in Betrayal at House on the Hill I want the rooms to be pre-existing but move around to different places
>>
An economy system based on the capitalist reserve ratio in deposits system, instead of an 'invisible hand' making the players adjust at will their individual reserve ratios through flexible accounts, if they own or create mining operations or chemical productions.

Basically like a Spectre from Mass Effect but with the economic reservation freedom instead of just killing whoever. This bleeds into a system of alignment kind of like in Hearts of Iron, trade opinions and such.
>>
>>376973068
it's an improvement, though there are still some parts that sound... unpolished
>>
>>376973310
I worked at a company that makes indie games.
We didn't have any real followers until realease of the game, only other game devs.
>>
File: C_lRKfLVYAAI5og.jpg (13KB, 220x172px) Image search: [Google]
C_lRKfLVYAAI5og.jpg
13KB, 220x172px
Radial power meters, probably the last thing to show for some time, as there's a fair bit of systems rewriting to do for the sake of easier scripting.
>>
>>376973806
honestly stardew looks like trash and looking at these screenshots only makes it seem like the art style got worse, somehow
it is also a huge outlier: it's very unlikely that your game will do as well as stardew, even if you spend the same amount of time on it
>>
File: Capture.jpg (76KB, 678x510px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
76KB, 678x510px
>>376958767
I hate that these images shill shitty game engines. I love these threads though. I'll work on a map tool for my game and read up on some concepts I need to know like spatial partitioning. Ultimately, I need to work on efficient pathfinding, which I feel like I am *so* close to.
>>
>>376973806
>for example Stardew valley most likely wouldn't garner much popularity with how it looked like at first http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-1-year-anniversary/
Wew that looks rough.
>>
>>376973068
it's better mixing wise, yes.

the distortion meme works best if there's something clear to show that it's intentional. right now it sounds like you just grabbed some 64kbps shit from 4shared and mushed it together
>>
File: 1494627926504.gif (4MB, 288x183px) Image search: [Google]
1494627926504.gif
4MB, 288x183px
I actually have to write a small game in class for a module.

I'm just using Unity. It's like Geometry Wars.
>>
>>376974756
how would i demonstrate that it's intentional? maybe it would work better in the context of an actual horror game where things being abrasive and ugly wouldn't be unexpected
>>
>>376958767
Would the RPG Maker series be good for trying to create a game like Advanced Wars/Segoku Rance? Been playing with an idea and my head and I'm not getting any younger so fuck it.
>>
>>376975128
D'ya know how to make some decent Ai for an enemy?
>>
Modeling some enemies. I don't even want to think about how I'm going to begin adding the scripting for enemies.
But drawing and modeling is fun, at least.
>>
>>376975451
you need to have clear, non-distorted sounds to serve as reference. it can be subtle, too
>>
>>376975474
Probably better off with Game Maker. RPG Maker isn't worth going too far off the dragon quest/FF model.
>>
>>376975583
the guitar is relatively clear, i thought i kept the distortion there subtle enough, but maybe i didn't. i kind of intended the whole thing to sound like an old vinyl record. i was considering putting some vinyl hiss as well. maybe i should after all, maybe that would help communicate the intent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eds1ivwq1oc this is sort of along the lines of what i was going for in terms of it sounding old and degraded.
>>
>>376975727
Cool will check it out. What language would you recommend to accompany it?
>>
>>376975863
it's important to remember that i'm just giving you suggestions/ideas. ultimately you're producing the track, if you think it's good go with it my man
>>
What do you normally charge for a 3 minute FM synth/chiptune song?
>>
File: Shorecomp.png (13KB, 981x306px) Image search: [Google]
Shorecomp.png
13KB, 981x306px
So I'm having an issue with RPG Maker (unsurprisingly) regarding the built in ship system.
I'll leave out the details as to what exactly my problem is (because I'm having a hard time trying to word it) and just ask you guys what solution I should go with.

Should I do blocky shorelines that you can disembark anywhere on or more aesthetically pleasing shorelines with diagonal edges that you can only disembark via ports a la FF1?
>>
>>376976663
fuck ships get airships
>>
>>376976663
A E S T H E T I C S
>>
>>376976861
planning on having a flying citadel you get later on in the game, but I still need that ship early on.
>>
>>376976663
If your art style in general is blocky, go with 1. If your art direction is more organic go with 2. Consistency is better. Just make sure there are enough ports that disembarking won't be a chore if you do 2.
>>
Not sure what engine to make a simple roguelike in. Unity? Gamemaker? Straight up java?
>>
>>376958767
I really dislike how much everything Unreal does for you
I prefer to old-fashion code my game but seems that there are no tutorials that shy away from blueprints and using a lot of the built in features.
>>
>>376976624
I'll buy
Post samples
>>
I've wanted to make a first person adventure game like Tex Murphy, but with a journalist MC for a while.
But I can't think of a story that wouldn't be a carbon copy of some X-files episode, so I just do nothing.
>>
>>376976663
If you place an invisible event at player level you should prevent the ship from dropping
>>
>>376977021
this pretty much, also the map looks charming enough to get away with the blocky design
>>
>>376977159
What? I use blueprints exclusively and I don't use anything Unreal packs in by default. It's entirely optional.

You can also just use C++ as usual.
>>
Anyone else using C?
>>
>>376979037
Enginedev is not game development.
>>>/g/
>>
>>376977742
desu blueprints are not for final game stuff, blueprints should be used sparingly as they are stupidly slow compared to code
>>
Can someone recommend a cheap chair that is comfortable enough to sit in all day? I've been using a metal folding chair for weeks now and it hurts my ass so much after an hour or two I have to leave my desk.
>>
has any /v/ poster ever completed a successful game?
>>
I started rewriting a lot of old code. It turns out a turnbased/real time rpg isn't fun, so I'm just making it turn based.

I want to die
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.