[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I keep trying to make myself play through this game but I cant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
I keep trying to make myself play through this game but I cant see what makes people like it so much.
>>
You're already at the good part.

The game has a shit start and nothing gets good until the world of ruin in which you can choose to do whatever you want which is pretty neat for a Final Fantasy game.
>>
The music is good, Sabin's blitz techniques were fucking awesome for an RPG. There were a lot of little things that were unique about that game like the split storyline (after the raft scene), and how it became nonlinear.

I mean, probably the game isn't all that good, and my nostalgia goggles are strapped on too tight, but I played it again a few years ago and loved it just as much as I remembered.
>>
>>376955212
I don't remember that enemy
Is that a mod?
>>
Why do people do this

It's possible that you won't like some popular games. It was probably like 5$ on PSN too so just get over it and move on
>>
It's all just a matter of time.
FF7-R will show some people that FF7 just fucking sucks.
>>
>>376955212
It was one of the better RPGs that came out in the West at the time. Of course, that's not saying a lot because I would never play that piece of shit over a game like FFV or DQVI.
>>
>>376958334
>DQVI
I'm not sure if you're serious or joking.
>>
>>376958334
Always a shame that DQ never picked up in the west, when I played 1-3 I felt some absolute simple RPG joy that I hadn't felt in ages.
>>
>>376958901
100% serious. I had way more fun messing around with recruiting monsters and using the job system in it than I ever did with FFVI, and that's only looking at its main gimmicks instead of the core gameplay, where it's flat out better.
>>
>>376957012
GBA version
>>
>>376957012
He's in the GBA port
Though this is clearly a SNES screenshot so it's bit weird
>>
>>376955212
What's the problem you're having with it?
>>
>>376959118
Thanks for confirming you have bad taste.
>>
>>376960062
If you want to talk about bad taste, look in the mirror. FFVI might as well play itself.
>>
>>376957513

In the case that it does become disappointing, I want a fan project where they remake FF7 with beter textures.
>>
>>376960152
FFVI may not be perfect but it still has plenty going for it. DQVI is offensively mediocre to the core. There is absolutely no appeal.
>>
>>376957513
Played it for the first time last month and had fun. Though a few of the side quests, but mostly mini games, were a chore
>>
>>376960318
>expansive job system with only a tiny handful of gimp jobs
>a whole host of monsters to recruit with unique equipment allowances and unique skills, which can then have jobs layered on top of them
>expansive dungeons where running out of juice is a major concern
>some of the most difficult boss fights in the series
>enemies aren't pushovers that do nothing to the party and die instantly
Yeah no.
>>
>>376955212
It's a shitty game. No idea why it has the recognition it does. Except for maybe, "OH EM GEE, the bad guy completes his objectiv! That's nevar been done b4!"
>>
>>376961389
Because its competition in the West when it came out was the worst version of FFIV, Generic: The RPG with Lufia 1 and Breath of Fire 1, and weird games like Robotrek.
>>
File: Edgar.jpg (259KB, 947x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Edgar.jpg
259KB, 947x1000px
>>376961389
>>376955212

It's a great game that branches off and let's you focus on the character's own personal stories in dealing in a post apocalypse scenario, in any order you want.
The magicite system was great, hunting down magecite was fun, getting stat bonuses per level up and building your own characters based on that was fun.
Such as making Sabin a magic canon capable of destroying most things with his aura beam or whatever it was called.
Or turning Edgar into the best pseudo dragoon capable of using versatile tools.
The accessories you found that gave you specific commands was a good RPG addition, it added variety in how I wanted to play the game.
The only downside for me personally, is that there is so much great content to cover, but once you get most of it and fight the final boss, he is zero challenge and unsatisfying.
Some sidequests provided more of a challenge than Kefka, especially Gilgamesh.

But that's just my opinion on why I found it to be great.
>>
>>376960720
>>expansive job system with only a tiny handful of gimp jobs
DQVI's job system is bloated, clunky, and unintuitive. FFVI has a poor way of replacing the job system but I'll take a lazy tacked on replacement that's optional over a shitty one forced into the game.
>>a whole host of monsters to recruit with unique equipment allowances and unique skills, which can then have jobs layered on top of them
Recruiting monsters was just a gimmick and added nothing to the game as they weren't interesting to use at all. It's the main reason why they got rid of monster recruitment in the DS remake.
>>expansive dungeons where running out of juice is a major concern
DQVI's dungeons are boring as hell, FFVI's dungeons are creative and varied (Phantom Train, Zozo, Magitek Research Facility etc.) Plus I'm not sure how you're suppose to "run out of juice" when characters from the fucking wagon can heal party members.
>>some of the most difficult boss fights in the series
Gee I sure love damage races! Besides only one I ever had problems with was Murdaw.
>>enemies aren't pushovers that do nothing to the party and die instantly
I didn't find random encounters all that dangerous in either game, but at least FFVI's combat is fucking fast.

So basically your entire argument boils down to "muh challenge" because that's pretty much the only thing it has over Final Fantasy VI. Even then, so what? You act like Dragon Quest VI is even remotely difficult. Yeah I struggled with Murdaw and a few other bosses maybe, but you know what I struggled with a boss or two in my first time playing Final Fantasy VI (Those Empire soldiers raiding Narshe and Atma Weapon comes to mind). In the end FFVI beats DQVI in virtually everything (story, pacing, music, characters, gameplay etc.)
>>
File: 1456692094908.gif (1009KB, 2637x1810px) Image search: [Google]
1456692094908.gif
1009KB, 2637x1810px
>>376955212
Maybe Final Fantasy is not for you
>>
>>376962243
Zozo was fucking awful and I just wanted it to be over with.
>>
>>376962243
The game literally tells you how the job system works as soon as you unlock it.
>>
>>376962673
>hating one of the most atmospheric towns in a FF game
kill yourself.
>>
>>376962696
I never said it was complex or hard to understand, I said it was badly designed.
>>
>>376962673

It was cool but climbing countless flights of stairs gets old fast.
>>
>>376962243
>as they weren't interesting to use at all.
>implying
Monster only runs are way more interesting than playing the game normally and half of that comes down to the fact that monsters have restrictions and strengths normal characters don't. Even as soon as you unlock jobs, go ahead and recruit a zombie, throw him in soldier or whatever, and now you've got a high STR whip user with a ton of HP that's counterbalanced by low defense.

Too bad the game replaces your lead monster with the MC at random plot points. Annoying as shit to deal with.
>>
>>376962972
Outside of needing too many fights to cap a job so that you'll maybe have capped your master job by the end of the game, no, it really isn't, and even then that's understandable when you think about how strong most jobs' capstone skills are.
>>
>>376962423

Do you have that image with the villains playing?
>>
>>376955212
I can easily see why-- if you look at the SNES RPG library something other than a regular medieval fantasy story was a surprise. There was Secret of Evermore, Earthbound, this... and I can't think of any other major ones. The scifi RPG wouldn't really blow up till the PSX
>>
>>376963380
>forced to cap jobs in order to unlock a new job
>lots of jobs are straight up useless
>zero interesting synergies
>forced to drag your ass back to the abbey every single time you want to change class
It's shit mate.
>>
>>376964068
>lots of jobs are straight up useless
No.
>>
>>376964014
Shadowrun.
>>
>>376963748
On Danbooru, the artist Arita Youkou hasn't done any version with the villains
>>
>>376964240
Eh, I guess, but I'm talking about traditional turn based RPGs. Shadowrun always came across to me like a peer of Syndicate than it did FF or Breath of Fire.
>>
File: 8-ffvi17_015.png (11KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
8-ffvi17_015.png
11KB, 480x320px
>>376962673
I agree, anon. Zozo was a terrible town full of obnoxious people and I'm glad no game has dared to put in a segment as annoying and uninspired as Zozo again!
>>
>>376962673
I think Zozo would have ended being a lot more iconic if Earthbound didn't do what it was trying to do but better with Moonside
>>
I played the game for the first time last year (same year I played FFVII for the first time) so i can say, without any nostalgia goggles, that FFVI is a pretty damn solid experience.

It starts off pretty linear, but with fun enough characters who each had their own playstyle and feel to them, and an intriguing and dark story.
Then the party gets split up after the raft and you get some time to spend with them broken up which really helped with characterization. Often times when you have so many characters its hard to single out side characters and develop them but in FFVI you get a good chunk of development for pretty much all the main people.
Then in world of ruin we shift protagonist entirely and Celes becomes the main character really, and the world opens up in such an impressive way.

Playing it now I can see that, not just for its time but in general, the game has some impressive aspects to it purely from how its narrative develops and how it chooses to allow characters to advance in such an open and organic way.
>>
>>376963748
>>376964401
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.