[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Even though Zelda is a really popular series, I've never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

File: download (1).jpg (12KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
12KB, 318x159px
Even though Zelda is a really popular series, I've never really heard of a Zelda clone.

Are these any good zelda cloens? Specially 2d ones since they're my favorite games, which aren't ever coming back.
>>
There are a few. They aren't really talked about much. Without the Zelda name, people are much more critical of them.

The big 2d one most people talked about were the Alundra games. I wouldn't call them good though. There's also Landstalker, which was what Sega originally hoped would be the Zelda killer for the Genesis.
>>
File: not windu waika.png (401KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
not windu waika.png
401KB, 640x480px
Anodyne is a lot like the Gameboy Zeldas that allowed you to jump. Ittle Dew is an indie game that copies Zelda a lot.

If you wnna talk 3D games Okami is similar but I wouldn't call it a Zelda clone, same goes for Beyond Good & Evil. Darksiders takes obvious inspiration from Zelda, rips many games off. Oceanhorn blatantly copies Wind Waker.
>>
>>376929817
GTA san Andreas is the best zelda clone.
>>
I don't know about any 2D games but Darksiders has a few similarities to the 3D Zelda games.
>>
>>376932115
Okami is pretty Zelda-esque, I think "Zelda clone" is an apt description if only to describe it in simplest possible terms.
>>
>>376930530
>>376932115
>>376932485
>>376932520
>implying any of those are zelda clones
guys....zelda isn't an adventure game series anymore.

that would be like calling tekken as an dynasty warriors clone.
>>
>>376932821
Zelda is still an action adventure series. If not what is it now?
>>
Spiral Knights is a great 2D Zelda clone on a base gameplay level. Unfortunately the game is a shitty, tedious grind unless you pay up.
>>
>>376932520
Zelda-esque but not a clone, combat feels entirely different, and the whole drawing system makes it quite different.
>>
Darksiders 1 and 2 are basically Zelda clones.
>>
3D Dot Game Heroes and the Neutopia games
>>
>>376929817
Darksouls
>>
Hydlide
>>
>>376932936
>Zelda is still an action adventure series
breath of the wild isn't an action adventure game, it's a open world exploration game.
>>
>>376934882
So open world games cannot be action adventure? I don't see how they're mutually exclusive. GTA is also classified as an action adventure game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_V
>>
File: 1280189013476.jpg (286KB, 1200x853px) Image search: [Google]
1280189013476.jpg
286KB, 1200x853px
Okami is quite good. It has a lot of charm and good production values.

Play the PS3 HD release. They removed the lyrical ending theme for some reason, but everything else is perfect.
>>
>>376934882
open world is a structure not a genre and exploration is a gameplay element, it's like saying bayonetta is a combo game
>>
>>376935109
>>376935895
anyone who played BoTW can tell both of you that BoTW is a pure exploration game.
>>
>2D Zelda clones
Alundra
Landstalker
Beyond Oasis
Legend of Oasis
Crusader of Centy
Ys series
Shining Wisdom
Golden Axe Warrior
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Mana series
Crystalis
Soul Blazer series

>3D Zelda clones
Okami
Darksiders series
Alundra 2
3D Dot Game Heroes
Star Fox Adventures
Beyond Good & Evil
Legacy of Kain series after Blood Omen
Dark Cloud series
Brave Fencer Musashi
Soulsborne
>>
File: 1381498472321.jpg (18KB, 324x299px) Image search: [Google]
1381498472321.jpg
18KB, 324x299px
>>376936336
and exploration was always a thing in Zelda games, and it's an element of adventure
>>
File: 1489192257628.jpg (187KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489192257628.jpg
187KB, 854x480px
>>376936336
Different anon here. They probably HAVE played it and so have I, it's still an action-adventure game.
>>
>>376929817
>Specially 2d ones since they're my favorite games, which aren't ever coming back.
>two of the three latest Zelda games were 2D
What did he mean by this?
>>
The last major 2D Zelda was in 2013, OP. They aren't dead.
>>
>>376936479
>3D Zeldas
>3D dot game heroes
>not 2D
>>
>>376936479
>Dark Cloud series
It's nothing like Zelda though.
>>
>>376933785
It's got such great designs though
>>
you never heard of the souls series?
>>
>>376937635
It was literally advertised as the zelda killer.
>>
>>376937812
it's nothing like Zelda besides having z targeting
>>
>>376936494

You had to navigate most of the world in previous zelda games. A vast majority of the map can be completely ignored in BOTW and still can be beaten.
>>
>>376937931
>enter area
>open chest
>find key item
>open locked path with it

combat system
>target enemy
>hold up your shield
>strike at the right time
>jump/roll to avoid enemy attacks
>occasionally use magic

souls is just zelda gameplay with berserk setting
>>
File: 3DDGH Vagrant Story.jpg (12KB, 322x314px) Image search: [Google]
3DDGH Vagrant Story.jpg
12KB, 322x314px
>>376937389
But it is 3D, played from an overhead perspective. It's essentially Zelda 1 as seen through ALTTP's eyes. Or more accurately, like that BS Zelda 1 for SNES, although it also references old NES games, and a wide variety of games from many generations in the loading art
>>
>>376929817

There's a bunch of 3D Zelda clones, hell most 3D action adventure games are ultimately derived from OoT but some are more blatant like Okami and Nier.

For 2D ones there's a bunch of indie games and multiple SNES games.

A good obscure one is Story of Thor, known as Beyond Oasis in the US. Really nice sprites and combat and plenty of puzzles, dungeons, towns etc.
>>
>>376937942
That doesn't change its genre, it's still an action adventure with a different set of rules to it. Just like if Valve made HL3 an open world shooter, it wouldn't change its FPS genre, just the way stages and level design work.
>>
>>376938281
Dark Souls is an ARPG, you build characters with it picking a playstyle, level up and whatnot that you don't have in Zelda. Also much more focus on combat while Zelda has puzzles and shit.

Opening areas in DaS has nothing to do with finding items in chests. Also the combat has more in common with Severance Blade of Darkness than Zelda, with enemies being able to heal and the whole dodging that isn't really a bit part of Zelda.
>>
>>376938281
furthermore adding:
>spread throughout the world there a vendors who sell you bombs arrows and healing items
>sidequests
>every area has a boss fight
>some have a midboss

about the berserk setting. look at the op for the ps2 berserk game and youll see how similar it looks to dark souls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdpqV7RPnTE
>>
>>376938980
Severance Blade of Darkness
usa release date:February 2001

ocarina of time
usa release date: November 1998

anon, i....
>>
>>376929817
Oceanhorn
>>
>>376936479
Lord of the Sword
Golvellius
The Battle of Olympus

For Zelda 2 clones
>>
>>376939573
OoT doesn't have enemies that heal if you give them room as in S:BoD that Dark Souls does, and the game has a bigger focus on dodges than OoT does, also the bigger difficulty overall.

If you had played Blade of Darkness you'd know what i'm talking about,
>>
>>376929817
there aren't many, which is why people lost their shit over Breath of the Wild being utterly subpar in every way imaginable.

If there was other shit to look forward to, no one would have wasted their breath complaining.

Really an untapped market that devs need to get into to steal the spotlight since Nintendo is actively doing their best to ruin the 'genre' or style of game that Zelda has been. Can't be cucked enough to think making such a game should be a Nintendo exclusive though, cause they'll just undersell your idea and jew your shit up to make themselves look better.
>>
>>376939832
so its zelda combat but with more dodging and enemies heal themselves and deal more damage
>>
>>376939832
>OoT doesn't have enemies that heal if you give them room
Why the hell are you trying to make it sound like this is something even half the enemies do when they don't in Soulsborne games.
>>
File: weeaboo.jpg (498KB, 1256x1116px) Image search: [Google]
weeaboo.jpg
498KB, 1256x1116px
>>376935614
if only Okami actually looked like your picture, instead of what it does.

People say "it looks like a painting" but it really doesn't. All I see are low-poly models and ugly thick borders caused by shaders, plus tons of billboard sprites.
>>
>>376929817
Binding of Isaac
>>
File: idklol.png (87KB, 353x282px) Image search: [Google]
idklol.png
87KB, 353x282px
>>376941035
someone unironically believes this.
>>
>>376941103
>Has Zelda rooms
>Has Zelda enemies
> Has secrets like Zelda
Only difference is that your attack is projectiles
>>
>>376941578
>smash tv is like zelda
>>
>>376941840
I've heard that comparison before, but never played it
>>
Ittle Dew comes to mind. Got it from a humble bundle once and got a few hours out of it. Really similar to 2d Zelda.
>>
>>376941578
Zelda is based off puzzles and exploration.

Binding of Isaac is based off RNG dungeon layouts and killing enemies. The only similarities between the two is the camera perspective and secret rooms to discover.
>>
>>376936479
Anything recent? Hopefully a PC game, something like a simple and good indie game like Hyper Light Drifter
>>
>>376942396
the zelda formula is the presence of a free overworld sparsely populated with enemies and puzzles, elaborate dungeons more heavily populated with enemies and puzzles, and dungeon items - along with what is fairly unique to the zelda franchise being the presence of a magical musical instrument.

Virtually all the Zelda games have abided to the above, so there's more to zelda than just "puzzles and exploration". If you just do "puzzles and exploration" then you get garbage accidents like Breath of the Wild which is essentially what happens when you give really shit-tier indies the access to make a Zelda game but 'want to make it their own' so they don't actually incorporate much of what makes a Zelda game a Zelda game.
>>
>>376942032
But is it good? It looks like a flash game
>>
>>376937389
If you haven't played any Ys games yet, a few have been ported to PC
>>
>>376936336
>Hi I'm retarded and think exploration and adventure don't go hand in hand.
>>
>>376938281
>>376937812
Keys and combat aren't really what makes Zelda, Zelda. Soulsborne has an extremely different approach to the gameplay, the exploration and the movement are the main differences, and those things are the core of Zelda. Don't forget the atmosphere, presentation, art style, world-building, etc.
>>
>>376929817
Okami
Darksiders
>>
there's okami, darksiders, even dark souls has some elements of zelda
>>
>>376943175
The first one is more puzzle based casual experience while the second one is more a difficult combat focused one, but with a good deal of puzzles and exploration to it still.

They're both pretty good but the first one is really easy whereas the second one can be frustratingly hard.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.