[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So are all future Zelda games going to follow the BoTW formula

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: zelda-breath-wild.jpg (188KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zelda-breath-wild.jpg
188KB, 1280x720px
So are all future Zelda games going to follow the BoTW formula or will they go back the originals?

Which would you prefer?
>>
BotW is the original formula you OOT loving faggot.
>>
>>376926115
Not for 3D Zeldas, cum gobbler
>>
I really like BOTW but it would suck if they wont innovate some more. I really want to see how they can improve BOTW engine
>>
>>376926002
Wasn't open world the vision for the first game so since the start?
>>
BotW formula with obvious improvements and some classic elements reintroduced
Cut down on all those shrines and throw in some properly big dungeons, like what we had in Twilight Princess
>>
Im fine with them staying with this formula (although I liked the linearity of the past games) I just want some actual full scale dungeons. The shrines/Scared Beasts weren't really satisfying to beat.
>>
>>376926002
BotW, the original formula was literally the dullest shit.
They should try and not follow formulas though. I like how for BotW they started it wanting to replicate a feeling associated with Zelda instead of replicating a game.
>>
>>376926002
I want them to do at least one more game in the mould of BotW. It felt like such a case of unfulfilled potential and I can't help but think with the time saved from not having to start completely from scratch they can make a world that's a lot more diverse than what BOTW offered. Unlike pretty much any open world game I've played since Skyrim, BotW was actually fun until you started seeing recycled content one time too many. Usually they suck from hour one, so at least a direct sequel to BotW could be perhaps be compelling enough to thoroughly explore.
>>
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-open-world/

looks like we dont get a choice
>>
>>376926002
Get rid of
- Shrines
- Weapon durability
- Robots entirely
- Voice acting (or get better voice actors)

Reintroduce
- Traditional Dungeons
- Explorable caves
>>
>>376927678
keep shrines but bring back dungeons and temples. this game would have been the goat with a few temples. it would have had a great mix. temples, beasts, and shrines.
>>
>>376927678
Get rid of the stamina gauge too.
>>
>>376926002
I'd be more than fine if they extrapolated over the BotW formula for at least a few more games. I feel like BotW is an absolutely phenomenal stepping stone, there's so many ways its formula can be tweaked and improved upon.
>>
File: 1362726666405.gif (2MB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
1362726666405.gif
2MB, 300x290px
A BOTW 2 and then something new

Dont cheapen it with BOTW but your a wolf and BOTW but with boats like the OOT formula. All of the retreads of OOT are shit.
>>
>>376927678
>get rid of everything that makes BOTW, BOTW.
>>
>>376926002
BotW IS the original formula
>>
>>376928543
No, the stamina gauge is great in that it limits your ability to climb and glide and thus forces you to find ways around obstacles and still gives you a reason for plain walking. What they SHOULD do however is disassociate stamina use from running.
>>
>>376928812
Thats the fucking point.
>>
>>376928812
What makes BotW BotW is the freeroam exploration and sense of freedom to go whereever you want whenever you want. That'd be still present if they replaced shrines with traditional dungeons you could still tackle in any order.
>>
>>376927063
>>376927065
these guys get it. I want essentially the same game, but with half as many shrines, and traditional dungeons in their place (and in place of the divine beasts). Make sure they have different aesthetics, too. All the shrines and beasts looked the same inside and it was boring.
>>
>>376926002
I'd prefer games like BOTW but with some elements from the older games re-introduced, such as items to help you progress/explore (like the hookshot), and more traditional dungeons.
>>
>>376926002
I think a mix of both would obviously be the best choice.
BotW's freeform exploration and interactivity with a few big dungeons mixed in.
Shrines are a good concept and I think they should be kept in, but in BotW they suffer a bit from visual similarity, repetitive combat trials, predictable rewards (which isn't a completely bad thing) and a lack of difficulty curve. Those things can very well be fixed in a sequel
>>
>>376927678
>voice acting
Switch to Japanese voices, it's a lot better.
>>
I just know that the next one better have a hookshot. It would work so well with the verticality of the world, fits right in with the climbing and exploring and stuff.
>>
>>376929393
Italian is even better, tho
>>
>>376928983
But part of the reason why the exploration is so effective is because you can find /something/ while fucking around.
If there's no wide net like shrines or korok seeds to litter the open world it'll actually be the empty open world that's people are wary of. People don't like using the open world as a glorified mission select screen.
>>
>>376929393
French is best, zelda sounds to animoo in japanese.
>>
>>376929475
Yeah, I feel some JP voice actors weren't that up to snuff, such as Revali's who is much better in Italian. It was generally pretty good though, Yu Shimamura's Zelda being a highlight.
>>
>>376929549
yeah, don't flat-out replace the shrines entirely, you still need them sprinkled throughout the world. In fact, some other types of collectables to get autistic about would help. Maybe a bounty list for notable enemies? would encourage you to continue to fight Lynels and the like long after you stop needing their weapons to bolster your armory. could include a few unique, optional bosses that way, too.

also, you could do more with the decorate-your-house thing. Maybe you find figurines or statues or shit to put up in your room? Or tie it in to the picture-taking, like WW did.
>>
>>376926002
Have better dungeons and bosses.
If it means getting rid of shrines, I'm alright with it.
Reintroduce pieces of hearts, it makes the opcional quests more worthwhile.
Also, It would be nice if they could make a more dinamic story with the open world rules.
Leave everything else and we're perfect.
>>
>>376930315
>pieces of hearts
you mean shrines? They're effectively the same thing.
>>
>>376927678
Shrines were easily one of the best parts about BOTW. Make 20 GOOD shrine quests and 60 GOOD shrines, cut out combat trials (or at least make them varied and more than a cut and dry fight in one set arena) and shrines would be literally perfect. Take them out and you might as well ditch the open world and make OOT #4326 because there won't be enough engaging things in it.

Weapon durability is crucial to make sure things in the game like enemy camps are worth doing. And that weapon drops continue to be exciting. With no durability your defaulting to whatever your best weapon of the type you want at all times. The frequency of cool weapons is fine too, but the random modifiers that can get applied to found weapons should be fleshed out and way cooler as to make the stock weapons like the boko clubs and such stay consistently appealing. Also certain enemies needed better scaling. Seeing Yiga assassins was cool at first but stopped being cool once your average gear was outpowering their drops without a proc. All Chuchus can be one shot pretty fucking fast, etc.

This Zelda has the coolest aesthetic. The robits stay.

Voice acting was atrocious. Nobody is ever going to agree on how characters who have been silent for 20 years should sound now.

Traditional dungeons I agree with as long as you'd consider the Divine Beasts to fall into that category as well. But if a sequel had a mixture of "manipulate a giant robot" dungeons and "navigate a large temple" dungeons I would be very pleased. There's no reason to go 100% back to traditional dungeons IMO but more of that part of Zelda definitely needs to be incorporated going forward.

Caves is a must. I can't believe how few and how small the ones in BOTW are.
>>
I want more weapon types.

>halberds that don't function exactly like spears
>maces / flails /whips
>gauntlets / katars
>muh japanese steel *unsheathes katana* swords
>>
>>376930315
>If it means getting rid of shrines, I'm alright with it
Having a burst of tightly designed content as a reward for exploration is a fantastic idea, and I think they definitely should focus on improving the concept instead of getting rid of it
>>
>>376930907
You already have katanas that create cutting wind currents on each swing.
>>
>>376931021
yeah, but they do shit for damage, and I can't do quick-draw shit with them, or *teleports behind u* shit. The yiga blade are basically just broadswords that shoot a pointless projectile, they feel slow and weak if you use them that way.
>>
>>376929926
>Yu Shimamura
That explains why I didn't like Japanese zelda, I don't like any of her work.
>>
Little of both
Shrines need to go in favor of traditional caves, grottos and mini dungeons so its not this obvious
> go here and there's nothing left around this area
Just fill the overworld with all sorts of shit
>>
>>376926002
They'll make similar games but hopefully not the same thing for the next four games. Being able to do dungeons in any order is cool, but I'd prefer that they model it closer to the first The Legend of Zelda where there was a flexible, but not entirely free dungeon progression order. It'd be easier to scale difficulty and tell a story that way.
>>
>>376926115

I really dont understand why do people say this. Didn't the first Zelda game also had linear progression? Like I thought you couldn't complete dungeons in random order
>>
>>376932623
You can complete Zelda 1's dungeons in any order. The thing is, you need the dungeon items from some of them to complete others. If you duck into those dungeons and grab the items, there's no forced progression order.
>>
File: Mipha_TLoZBotW.png (383KB, 495x429px) Image search: [Google]
Mipha_TLoZBotW.png
383KB, 495x429px
I was skeptical of this game when I saw the E3 trailer last year, but from what I've seen it's grown on me. If only I had a Switch so I could play it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy one exclusively for Zelda, no modern Nintendo game will ever be worth it.

What are /v/'s thoughts on Mipha?
>>
>>376932623
You can, a couple require items from other dungeons but most of them don't and you can just grab the item from a dungeon without doing the rest of it and go somewhere else anyway.
>>
>>376931356
One of the reasons why I like BotW over many open world games is that it isn't filled with shit. There's too many shrines if anything.
Still, shrines don't have to be shrines, they could look like anything, but they should always be a promise of something worthwhile to find (which BotW doesn't do that well with the abundance of blessing and combat shrines). Dozens of caves with a few enemies and a chest with something useless inside would only make the game worse
>>
>>376927678
There were always robots though. Beamos, Armos, Goht, Gohdan, actually the entire design of the Tower of the Gods is similar to the ancient Sheikah designs in BotW
>>
>>376932870
>If you sequence break the game is open world, therefore BOTW is Zelda 1
I'll never understand this line of reasoning
>>
>>376930573
With the diference that the Pieces of heart were mostly a reward for interacting with the NPCs and doing side quest. The most comon reward to doing sidequest on BoTW was rupees and minerals. What I was trying to say was to get back to giving meaningful rewards.
>>
File: urbosa.jpg (997KB, 1924x2908px) Image search: [Google]
urbosa.jpg
997KB, 1924x2908px
>>376932909
cute but boring, the typical waifu for herbivores who can't handle a real woman.

Buy a WiiU and play it there, play the rest of the WiiU games while your'e at it.
>>
>>376932870
You can do that in literally every Zelda before Wind Waker
>>
>>376934217
>real women
>>
I want a sequel using the same engine as botw. No shrines. Full dungeons spread out across the map similar to the masses of other ruins in botw but fully developed and involved dungeons like we've seen in past installments. The map will be about 1/3 the size but the amount of content driven by npc interaction will be fully fleshed out. In a sense similar to how majoras mask was the sequel to oot.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.