[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there so few games with the theme of "Man vs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: tumblr_ndurz9ILXW1rm5ylko1_1280.jpg (129KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndurz9ILXW1rm5ylko1_1280.jpg
129KB, 640x640px
Why are there so few games with the theme of "Man vs Environment"?
>>
>>376880429
Woah, das deep af bruh I'm woke now.
>>
>>376880429
Because telling an original story is hard.
That's why priests are assholes.
>>
>>376880429
Unless you're fighting druids, it'd likely just be a walking simulator.
>>
>themes
it's video games not literature you fuckwit
>>
>that tiny bayonet
In case the barrel breaks? The fuck is the point of that.
>>
>>376880429
Breath of the Wild absolutely fits this theme.

Oh that's not what you meant? So explain then, do you want the fucking trees to fight back or something?
>>
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
99% of the survival genre (which has a gazillion games)
>>
>>376882123
Everything is a text
All texts are Literature
>>
The Long Dark is exactly this but I know what you mean.

Most places are not hostile anymore so its difficult to come up with a concept where you are both in trouble and not able to just go get help.

I would like to see some mountain climbing games.
>>
>>376882124
cutting bread
>>
>>376882447
thats something retarded english majors say. not everything is a text.
>>
Minecraft. You can do absolutely nothing in the game without first destroying something.
>>
>>376880429
>man ruins the environment
>the environment summons demons from space to kill mankind
>>
>>376880429
Doesn't the thief games have some of this?

I only played one people say is pretty average (Deadly shadows) but I remember quite a bit of conflict between the pagans and the hammer dudes
>>
>>376882561
This is why survival games need to take place on alien planets.

Subnautica is interesting but its not terribly hard to just survive in that game
>>
>>376882661

You generally end up with may more trees than you started with though.
>>
File: fb stupid shit.png (344KB, 1075x730px) Image search: [Google]
fb stupid shit.png
344KB, 1075x730px
>>
dwarf fortress
>>
There are literal thousands of shitty survival sandboxes
>>
>>376883157
This makes for a great argument against democracy. These people vote and play videogames bringing the market to them and not to people who generally enjoy the hobby
>>
>>376883148
That represents bending nature to your will though. And whether that is actually true or not is impossible to two because of the subjective nature of interpretation
>>
>>376883071
Dishonored does it to an extent too, it's not part of the main plot but it's definitely hinted at that the plague and a lot of other bad shit are due to over-harvesting the whales.
>>
>>376883157

Holy shit this guy claiming he's an anonymous
How can you be this cringey ?
>>
>>376880429
Probably because the ways to make that scenario interesting is incredibly limited. Nature doesn't really react to man's presence, and as such there is no real metagame to man's existence vs nature. Man has all but conquered nature, and thus the solutions outweigh the potential obstacles.

Man vs Man is more interesting simply because Man will evolve to defeat Man who will evolve to defeat Man and so on and so forth.
>>
Final Fantasy 6: Steam Power vs. Magic "natural"
Final Fantasy 7: Technology vs. Earth Magic

I guess those are more tech vs magic...

I'm sure there are some games with that theme, I just can't think of them now
>>
>>376883457
That's gay bro.
Everyone knows more trees means nature is more powerful.

example: magic cards
>>
File: 1494720368480.jpg (476KB, 1560x2080px) Image search: [Google]
1494720368480.jpg
476KB, 1560x2080px
>>376883483
oh anon
>>
>>376883467

I loved Dishonored lore, I wish i would know the inspiration.
The mix between victorian british aesthetic and esotericism
>>
Depends what you mean. I really enjoy the Ozymandias, Romantic, Ecclesiastes, concept of the vanity of all man's efforts against the passage of time and the eventual overcoming of nature. Lots of games, particularly post apocalyptic, have that sort of theme. Last of Us, at least visually, has this to a degree, despite that game being relatively shallow.
>>
>>376883467
Except that the Lord Regent outright says that he was the one who brought the plague to Dunwall with the intention of eliminating the poor, but it all backfired on him.
>>
File: iXUFFVLeif2qt8UwaJ72ED-1200-80.jpg (109KB, 1200x672px) Image search: [Google]
iXUFFVLeif2qt8UwaJ72ED-1200-80.jpg
109KB, 1200x672px
>>376880429
Greedfall is that.

Probably not a thing because it's lame as shit.
>>
>>376882056
I don't see why.
>Nature is rising up against you
>Use your weapons, guns, flamethrowers, etc. to burn and destroy it
>Treants
>Dryads
>Maybe a Druid or six
>Can toss in plenty of giant whip-vines, myconids, and various wild creatures
>Final boss is literally Mother Nature
>Kill her and the world dies, leaving only the cities and their technology
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.