[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really want to get into Final Fantasy and I will do that by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 17

I really want to get into Final Fantasy and I will do that by playing the best version of every Final Fantasy, starting with 1.

What is the best FF1 version?

I've heard PSP has better graphics, but GBA has bonus dungeons. Or is the NES version the best? Is 1 even a real Final Fantasy?
>>
Play the PS1 version. It fixes a lot of bugs of the NES release while retaining the old mana mechanics with mana for different tiered spells.
>>
>>376863449
>PS1 is the best if you want to play it closest to the original with bug fixes and such
>Wonderswan is the same as the PS1 version but with shittier music
>GBA is babby easy, but the bonus dungeons are kinda cool
>PSP is the same, but more of a pain in the ass to 100%
>NES if you're a hardcoer retro gamer
>MSX if you're a hardcoer contrarian retro gamer
>>
>>376863449
Did you just see a certain YT e-celebs video about FF1 by any chance? Your timing is suspicious.

>Is 1 even a real Final Fantasy?
What kind of a question is that?
Yes, it is. It spawned the saga, and saved Square from going bankrupt. It's however late-80s NES game, so don't expect it to be mind blowing cinematic experience. Nor an easy game.

That being said, as an fairly old fan who's played all the numbered + many of the spinoff FF games, I'd say that the NES originals (1-3) can be skipped without losing anything.

IV, VI, VII and IX are the most beloved games by the most fans, and the ones I could easily recommend to anyone.
Out of those, I'd say 7 is a safe bet for a beginner. It was a huge phenomenon back in the days, and it's still very enjoyable, atmospheric and even comfy game. The gameplay-mechanisms are simple enough for rookies, but hard enough to master, soo it keeps even experienced players interested. There's also tons of optional side quests, minigames, etc.

After that, choose your poison. Since the stories and worlds are (usually) not connected in any way, you can pretty much shoot blind. Different things appeal to different people, and that's also why there's so much arguments about various titles in the series.

I for example really liked the FF XIII trilogy as a whole, but I know that many bash it as the worst blunder of the millennium and death of the series.

The ones I would personally recommend skipping are the NES originals (1-3) and the MMOs (11 & 14). I also wasn't too fond of VIII and XII.

>>376863651
>PS1 version
>ever
enjoy your loading screen hell.
The GBA and PSP ports are more or less based on that, and play much faster.
>>
>>376863449
PSP
>>
GBA with Mod of Balance romhack.
>>
>>376863449
Play FF 5 and fall in love with the series.
>>
If you're not playing FF1 using the original nes cart you're doing it wrong.
>>
Final fantasy VI, VII, VIII, IX, and X are the best FF games so make sure to play those
>>
>>376863449
>I will do that by playing the best version of every Final Fantasy, starting with 1.

That's a dumb idea. How it works is you start with the newest Final Fantasy and work backwards.
>>
>>376863449
FF1&2 - GBA
FF3 - NES with Translation patch or DS if you aren't emulating
FF4 - PSP
FF5 - GBA
FF6 - GBA with Music patch or SNES
FF7 - PC Remaster
FF8 - PC Remaster
FF9 - PC Remaster
FFX - PS3/PSVita remaster since I believe the PS4 version is bugged
FFXII - Zodiac age in 2 months
FFXIII - doesn't matter
FFXV - PS4

The PS1 games are fine, but they all have horrible load times compared to what you can get now
>>
>>376864285
I'm not a normieshit.

Bad graphics doesn't bother me a tall. Long loading times however? That is a deal breaker.
>>
>>376863764
Dawn of Souls and the Anniversary versions are easy as shit compared to the PS1 version. They might as well be Easy Type.
>>
>>376863449
Go for PSP. Has the dame bonus dungeons, better graphics and nice sound.
>>
>>376863764
>Did you just see a certain YT e-celebs video about FF1 by any chance?
No? Who do you even mean? Post a link of that video.
>>
>>376865182
Projared posted a video today.
>>
>>376863764
>The GBA and PSP ports are more or less based on that
They aren't. You have a single MP pool rather than the Vancian system.
>>
>>376865401
The only problem with the MP system is the introduction of Ethers and Elixirs so you don't have to conserve spells in dungeons. Vancian had a bunch of stupid bullshit about it as well, like the poison cure spell being utterly worthless since it's a level 4 spell and you can very cheaply buy 99 antidotes instead.
>>
>>376865296
You're right. Huh.

I swear to god, I didn't know that. But even if I did there would be nothing wrong with it and I would just admit it, but I honestly didn't know Propjared reviewed it.

I just take it as a good sign and really start with FF1 and not FF7. Fuck that shit. You should save the best for LAST.

I would pick PS1 because of the superior difficulty, but the loading times are unacceptable so I think it will be the PSP version.
>>
>>376865712
FF7 isn't really the best or even close of being the best, just play them in chronological order and form an opinion on each entry to your own.
>>
>>376863449
>Or is the NES version the best? I
Yes. A real man would play the original with all it's flaws and all it's charm that's missing from the tasteless remakes.
>>
>>376864467
PS4 version of FFX has been patched and is the only way to play the far superior original soundtrack instead of that remixed bullshit.

Play that one.

The PS1 versions of the games load times are always blown way out of proportion so the PS1 version of FFVI is worth the tradeoff to get the soundtrack without hassle on top of it being uncensored if you've no access to SNES
>>
>>376864467
>but they all have horrible load times
You can skip that with emulation quite easily.
>>
>>376867132
>blown way out of proportion
Not really. Nobody is saying that FF7-9 have long loading times. Well maybe FF9.

But I remember FF6 taking fucking forever. Literally 5 seconds. It is fucking torture. Don't play it on the PS1. Don't.

Watch the cutscenes on YouTube (There are really only 3) and then play the Steam version with a dark shader mod.
>>
>>376867459
speaking of the steam version would SE put a C&D out if someone just modded the "proper" graphics onto the game instead of that pasty mobile asswipe crap that we got?
>>
>>376867132
The PC/PS4 Version, you meant.
>>
>>376863748
there's nothing contrarian about MSX
it's the same bugfixes as PSX/WS but on an intended platform
>>
>>376864467
Is there something wrong with the PC Version of FF3 and FF10?
>>
>>376867965
Nothing in particular, but I'd rather play them on the go
>>
File: morpheus.jpg (315KB, 1400x1009px) Image search: [Google]
morpheus.jpg
315KB, 1400x1009px
>>376863449

How I did it, I haven't played any of the remasters except 10 on the PS Vita.

>1 and 2 on GBA. (2 is my favorite)
>3 on DS.
>4 on PSP.
>5 through 9 on PS1. (I'll get around to finishing 8 eventually)
>10 and 12 on PS2. (10 is where I started)
>13 on PS3.
If you want you can disregard the MMOs like I did.
>Then 15 after you've watched Kingslave.
>>
>>376864467

I'd say the psp version are better ways to play FF1, 2, 3, and 4.

Is there a german version of FF1 and 2 for psp? I've been meaning to play through them as practice.
>>
>>376863979
>literally broken buggy mess

EVERY other version is far superior just by the fact alone that the actual game mechanics work as they're supposed to, not to mention other changes
>>
If you're still here OP, you can find romhacks for the NES version which fix all the bugs that make some spells useless, that way you get the original experience without the dumbest flaw.
>>
>>376863764
>enjoy your loading screen hell.
The time you lose by having to sit through slightly longer load times is gained back exponentially by the time you save not having to sit through individual animations/text pop ups for multi-targeting spells, having to buy items one at a time, and not having a run button on the overworld.
If you want to retain the difficulty of FF1 (which is entirely preparation and resource management), PS1 is your best bet. If you don't care and just want a mindless button mash, then you can play the PSP version.
>>
>>376864285
>How to hate the Final Fantasy series
>>
On the topic of FF games with VA
X and XV's dubs are tolerable but play XIII/(XIV if you can pick it up for $10 and have the time to play it in 30 days) in jap, the dub voice direction is fucking awful and loads of shit in the games are framed like an animu anyway

XII has a better eng dub than 99% of all vidya though thanks to it having the one turbo autist who translates most of Matsuno's games onboard
>>
>>376863764
III is good
>>
>>376872910
III is good, but V effectively obsoletes it.
>>
FF1 - PS1, bonus content isn't worth the ruining of the normal game's content
FF2 - PSP, for the most easily digested version of this shit pill
FF3 - NES if you like the challenge of maintaining resources throughout a dungeon throughout reasonably difficult random encounters, PSP if you like only being challenged by two bosses in the entire game, although the remake does get some bonus points for making most classes more diverse and useful
FF4 - PSP for a first playthrough, PC if you like the game enough to want to replay it eventually
FF5 - GBA with sound patch. The sound is still vastly inferior to the original soundtrack even with the patch, but there is no "best version" so you have to bite the bullet
FF6 - Same as above.
FF7 - PS1 and PC both acceptable
FF8 - PS1 and PC both acceptable
FF9 - PS1 and PC both acceptable
FF10 - Any remaster version
FF12 - I suspect IZJS will wind up being the best version because of the stupid dual-class thing in Zodiac Age. Who knows.
FF13 - whatever
>>
>>376863449
>best version of every Final Fantasy, starting with 1.
I mean. Are we counting Tactics, and Crystal Chronicles, and Dissidia into that? Does Kingdom Hearts count?
>>
>>376872482
>>XII has a better eng dub than 99% of all vidya though thanks to it having the one turbo autist who translates most of Matsuno's games onboard

Plus actual theatre actors for most the roles.
>>
>>376873260
Yes, Yes, No, No.
>>
File: tips-medium-12538-1392733279.png (398KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
tips-medium-12538-1392733279.png
398KB, 650x366px
>>376873103
>FF6 - Same as above.
I don't know why people are shitting so much on the steam version. True the graphics of the characters aren't the best.

But the monster and battle graphics are fucking beautiful and battles are what you will spend the majority of the game.
>FF8 - PS1 and PC both acceptable
It's the opposite. Both are totally unacceptable. PS1 has amazing sound but no chocobo world, PC has chocobo world but shit sound. The answer? Get the steam version with a music patch and HD mods.
>>
>>376874463
The menus they use for the pc and mobile versions of the old FFs are disgusting. They look like they belong in RPG Maker games.
>>
>>376874463
Christ that is fucking hideous.
>>
>>376874068
Tactics has no best version.
PS1 translation is terrible, difficulty was nerfed a bit in the English version
PSP translation is fantastic (if you can put up with probably having to look up the definition of a few words), difficulty is restored, however all attack animations were slowed down (which can be fixed with a patch) and all sound effects and music sound much worse (which can't be fixed)

So you have to choose, do you want the PS1 version with the PSP translation patched in, and have to deal with a game that's much easier because classes unlock faster, or do you want the PSP version where you have to deal with awful audio?
>>376874463
The character sprites are terrible, and the tiling on the overworld is even more terrible. Not to mention how hideous the UI is.
Chocobo World is a worthless addition.
>>
>>376874463
oh god make it stop. not muh ffvi
>>
>>376875105
>Chocobo World is a worthless addition.
>items are a worthless addition
>>
>>376876662
Do you want to play a tedious mini game for a small chance at a rare item, or play the already brokenly easy real game and not give a shit about whatever worthless shit you might be missing out on? Completionists are pitiful.
>>
>>376863449
play the phone versions.
>>
>>376864467
>>376873103
Does the PC version of 7 still have the shitty music or did they change it?
>>
>>376863449

Which FF game can give you that sense of unalderated pure innocent romantic love from your childhood /v/?
>>
>>376877980
V, probably.
>>
>>376866841
Final Fantasy lover here. Never liked FF7 or Advent Children. Never grabbed me for some reason.
>>
>>376863449
the gba sprites are fucking great, the game sounds great and is really comfy, I highly recommend the GBA version of all the older ones
>>
>>376878279
Advent Children is legit garbage.
>>
>>376878147

Really? Can you elaborate without spoiling pls?
>>
I tried starting with II(4), but goddamn is it a pain in the ass

>cecil gets rekt, all on his own
>all stats reset to lvl 1 as a paladin
>meet the twins
>drastically underleveled and can get killed super easily so I have to tank hits for them
>grinding in the cave
>>
>>376876873
No, 100% a game is fun. The last 2-10 hours where you already finished the game and are almost god, but not quite god and you still try to become stronger. That's the best part of the game.

Do people really beat a game once and never return? Why even bother putting so much effort into it if you aren't going to totally destroy that game?
>tedious mini game
ALT+TAB to chocobo world, then ALT+TAB to FF8. 2 hours later -> collect items. Or leave it open during the night. How tedious!
>>
>>376863449
I am glad you came to the right person.....the newer versions has superficial extra depth. Play the NES version
>>
>>376878147
There is nothing innocent about /v/ faggot
>>
>>376863449
You could play Grond's FF1 hack if you want the NES feel minus the bugs and shitty thief class.
>>
>>376874463
>that screen
wow cool rpgmaker game bruh
>>
>>376874463
The only good thing about this version is Cyan's bushido is god tier.
>>
File: 1493525832318.jpg (139KB, 920x662px) Image search: [Google]
1493525832318.jpg
139KB, 920x662px
>>376865712
>best for last
>FF7
>best
>FF7 even being "great"
>>
>>376863449
I want to toss in that getting into Final Fantasy by playing it as if they have anything to do with each other is just ignorant. Enjoy shoehorning yourself into sitting through a few subpar games that absolutely kill your desire to play any further in the series.

If you want to get a good sampler of FF, play whichever you think you'll like the most, and if that means starting with VII, then II, then XII, etc, so be it. Order means nothing, and it'll be a lot harder if you work backwards like >>376864285 said, since the mechanics vary greatly and get more dated/user unfriendly the further back you go.
>>
Why are you making this thread after watching Projared's video he already gave you a fucking answer on which one to play.
>>
>>376869789
I will never understand how people like 2.
>inb4 "but Minwu is cool"
It's like a turn based Skyrim.
>>
PSP version has the GBA dungeons+ more. It's the best version of ff1 but ff1 is pretty basic in terms of combat anyways.

go to /vg/ and read the OP, there's a pastebin link for every version of each game and which is the 'best'
>>
File: 14865984003478.jpg (72KB, 595x864px) Image search: [Google]
14865984003478.jpg
72KB, 595x864px
>>376880280
>It's like a turn based Skyrim.
>>
>>376878436
I never had those problems and I actually expected to have to deal with them.
>those behemoths that ambush right before the final boss
Fuck that shit though.
>>
>>376880435
Well it's true.
>>
>>376880280
FF2 spawned SaGa so that puts it above most FFs. Besides it's not as bad as everyone says it is
>>
>>376880801
Which SaGa games are good? I tried the remake of the first one on PS and it just felt like a bunch of disjointed sidequests with nothing tying them together and my characters had no lines after joining me. I liked the concept but felt it was poorly executed.
>>
You can start with any game. FFV is probably the most fun though. It's nice that you can change jobs whenever you like and the story and characters ended up being way better then I expected
>>
>>376880801
>Besides it's not as bad as everyone says it is
It's still pretty fucking awful.
>>
>>376863449
bug fixed rom fix of the original is the best. the remakes "better graphics" are dog shit compared to the original's art style
>>
>>376880937
Romancing Saga 2 and the PS2 remake of Romancing Saga 1 are considered the best. The original game is pretty good but it was called The Final Fantasy Legend.
>>
>>376881063
Well maybe I liked it because I never bothered grinding and had no issues
>>
>>376881304
You must've been playing some mindlessly easy remake.
>>
>>376881212
>tfw SaGa was just as popular as the main series when it was called FF legends
At least the series is still popular in Japan but none them have any chance at being localized so it sucks. I heard the new game on the Vita was really good too.
>>
>>376881459
Well I played it a long time ago but I remember always getting lost so maybe that's why I never hadto grind. The only thing that really pisses me off is how you could encounter strong enemies if you went too far ahead on the world map but most NES games had even more bullshit so it's not really an issue.
>>
File: maria.jpg (133KB, 828x1000px) Image search: [Google]
maria.jpg
133KB, 828x1000px
>>376880280
Best music. The emperor takes over both heaven and hell and you have to kill him in both, at least in the port I played. The word-memory system was actually engaging and didn't feel gimmicky as one would expect, it was a nice innovation.
>>
>>376881813
>The word-memory system was actually engaging and didn't feel gimmicky as one would expect, it was a nice innovation.

I always forget that was a feature. Surprised it was never used in more games.
>>
>>376881813
Those are not enough reasons to call 2 a good game, those were just tiny ideas that happened to work well. Although the emperor was a pretty alright villain, and music has always been good in FF games. Except 7's.
>>
http://pastebin.com/nDC7j5bn
>>
>>376864467

There's no reason to go for the GBA version of I and II when the PSP version is only slightly less challenging but has a ton more content to make up for it. If you want to keep the difficulty without having retarded broken stats and spells, the PS1 version is probably your best bet.

And the PSP version of FF3 is superior to the DS version since all of the postgame content is accessed offline.
>>
>>376876923
Get the fuck out
>>
>>376878407

It's extremely light-hearted but well written enough to never make you groan at its silly moments.

>>376878436

I'm almost 100% sure that Cecil has higher stats as a level 1 Paladin than whatever level you transform him at. The only thing that sucks is the lack of a quick mob blaster.
>>
>>376863449
no your first final fantasy should be 4 it is like the difinative beginners experiance then if your still interested move on to either 5 or 6 also the GBA versions are perfect
>>
>>376881813
>The word-memory system was actually engaging and didn't feel gimmicky as one would expect

99% of the time, if you didn't tell them the specific phrase that you learned at the previous location, they'd just give you a dumbfounded look and ask what the fuck you're talking about. Like pretty much everything else in FF2, it was good on paper.

Mateus is cool as shit though. There's something endearing about seeing an antagonist as unabashedly evil as him, especially when he single-handedly caused so much suffering throughout the entire world.
>>
Skip the Enix games.
>>
>>376882803
XII is fine.
>>
Skip IX. There's nothing special about that game
>>
>>376877195

YES THEY CHANGED IT
THEY CHANGED IT FUCKING YEARS AGO
HOLY SHIT STOP ASKING THIS QUESTION
>>
Could somebody please explain why Gordon and Leila are so fucking weak in Final Fantasy II. Gordon literally starts off with 64 HP and 5 MP when enemies are doing hundreds of damage with each hit
>>
>>376863449
>PsP of 1
>GBA of 2
>DS of 3
>4 is complicated. GBA for dungeons or DS/PC for quality. If you pick the PSP then you have 4's sequel too. I personally pick DS as the definitive.
>GBA of 5
>GBA of 6
>PS1 of 7, 8, and 9. The PC versions are trash.
>any HD of X. They're all the fucking same. PC isnt an awful port, but avoid it if possible
>wait for XII remake.
>stop here.
There you go OP.
>>
PSP is better for FF1

Ignore anyone that says PS1, it's outdated and doesn't have bonus content
>>
>>376884720
XIV is great.
>>
File: feel free to leave.jpg (45KB, 602x605px) Image search: [Google]
feel free to leave.jpg
45KB, 602x605px
>>376885801
>>
>>376885801
Doesn't fucking count, you retarded vermin.
>>
File: garland-knock-you-down-gba.png (19KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
garland-knock-you-down-gba.png
19KB, 240x160px
>>
>>376863764
>FF XIII trilogy as a whole, but I know that many bash it as the worst blunder of the millennium and death of the series.
mainly it wad trying to do something new and it failed. The game was based around telling a very boring character story. The characters and story felt like fan fiction because no one would actually like these characters outside their own series and be believable.
>>
Post your:

>First FF
>Favorite FF
>FF that made you done with the series
I like to say XIII, but I actually haven't beaten a single FF game since X. I think series died after IX, X is the same goddamn corridor as XIII and XII is just a single-player MMO.
>>
>>376887183
>First
4, scared the shit out of me everytime the random battle would start because it was just like a jump scare.

>Favorite
9, love the characters with so many personalities and designs. Classic story with a dash of newer elements mixed in. Music was amazing and thought out for its locations.
> made me done with it
I'm not done with it but it made me wary of the future and hit a new low, 13.
13, like I said before, was a giant ego trip and terrible exposition. Along with that the battle system sucked, and was boring as fuck. Every attack felt the same except for status attacks but that made it even more boring. I beat 13 and 13-2 but not the 3rd.
>>
the mobile version of 2 has the time dungeon and dawn of soul dungeons. the mobile version of 1 has neither. the PSP version of one far outstrips the PSP version in terms of bonus content. It also looks a hell of a lot better.
>>
>>376887183
>first
>favorite
n.a.
>>
>>376882121
don't forget actually balanced instead of retarded origina NES release tier broken for OK.
>>
>>376865296
you know what?

FUCK GayJared.
FUCK E-normiecelebs
>>
>>376887183
>first
technically, 1. I played it on a demo kiosk as a kid, but I never bought it and never beat it because of it. 3/6 was the first I owned/beat, though.
>favorite
has to be 6. The others just don't hold a candle in my eyes, it's the absolute perfection of the 2D FF formula, even going back with modern tools they couldn't recreate it's perfection with dimensions (though dimensions is definitely a solid title and worth a play).
>made me done with the series
I loved the story emphasis of X, and thought it was a nice change from being so open, I never considered the series to be "about" a world map or open ended shit, cause usually if you went to the wrong spot you'd just end up dead early on. The story was enjoyable and threw me for a loop my first time playing. XI was the end for me. not XII, I mean XI. throwing the series into the bout of MMO shit screamed of desperation, that the series needed more people, that they wanted to try and benchmark people interested in the series. It was novel to see the game playable online on PS2, I didn't even notice I could play online on games like socom or MGS3. But still, XI fucked the series up beyond repair, you can see the influences of it in XII (I don't think XII is a bad game, but you can definitely tell XII had influences drawn from XI), XIII is just a mess in regards to it's story, and its sequels did little to help (though I did like the gameplay of XIII, it felt like a natural progression of ATB, don't know why anyone ever shit on the gameplay, it was significantly better than the PS1 tier combat of FFX or just plain bland gambit shit from FFXII.)

XV is just a mess, I actually forgot it had even come out until this thread reminded me. It's just not even worth mentioning. it fell prey to open world nothingness, and what's worse is there's no source of faster-than-normal traveling besides the car, but the car can't reach half the shit you need to kill for hunter missions, it fuckin blows.
>>
>>376887183
>4
>13 (fuck you, I'll walk you through why it isn't shit if you really care that much)
>XV cause they have affirmed that they will never give a female character an ass again
>>
>>376888110
>Replying to a 5+ hour old post
Autism.
>>
>>376888291
you can walk till your legs don't work anon, I don't think you can convince me other wise.
>>
>>376873260
>Tactics
PSP with the slowdown fix patch.
>Crystal Chronicles
None of the Crystal Chronicles games were ported/multiplat except Echoes of Time (which the Wii version is literally just the DS version running on an emulator)
>>
>>376888354
But I really hate youtubers, do I look cool and edgy yet?
>>
>>376888354
never go to wizard-chan then
>>
>>376887183
>first
>favorite
None. The series has constantly changed throughout its history, so even though I don't like it right now there's always a chance it'll be good again.
>>
>>376888542
Wizard-chan is way slower than /v/ though.
>>
>>376888552
>None. The series has constantly changed throughout its history, so even though I don't like it right now there's always a chance it'll be good again.
it only changed greatly at 7, the rest still had the basic roots, classes, and types.
>>
>>376888596
...hence my post
>>
>>376887183
Mystic Quest for the GameBoy.

A tie between 1, 4, 6, and 10.

>>
>>376864467
the first FF XIII on PS3 have better graphics if I remember, the sequels not.
>>
>>376888652
Yeah but replying to a 12 hour old post is fine is the board is slow, in a fast board like /v/ replying to a 6+ hour old post with something so trivial is just pointless.
>>
>>376888764
Mystic Quest was a Super Nintendo game
>>
>>376888885
*if the board
>>
>>376888843
But it's on PC.

Also, I think the anon was saying "doesn't matter" because it's not a game worth playing.
>>
>>376888969
this
really you are better off just reading wiki on it and move on to the next.
>>
>>376888889
Really?
I was kinda a kid at the time when I played it so my memory is blurred.
Which one was on the GameBoy?
>>
>>376889180
there was a final fantasy both 1 and 2, these were seperate from the regular series.
>>
>>376888463
it be easier if I addressed the complaints

I know it has flaws, but what doesn't?

Common complaints I always see are linearity (hello, have they played another FF game?) and babby-ized combat, but seriously tell me you don't need to learn the system for some of the bosses and hunts, or even the post-game mobs (to some degree, at least). If you really dislike auto, you can set it to manual, it's just that auto is simpler for the control scheme because it's hard to navigate menus while still having the fluidity the combat has. It's not fundamentally that different from other FFs except for the addition of the chain gauge, which I found a fun addition to the formula.

I don't feel the need to defend the ambience of the game, at all. The visuals are stunning and the soundtrack is amazing.

I also hear a lot of complaints about the story but honestly, as far as the character development goes, this is the most solid in the franchise except maybe Leon's in VIII. I'll be the first to admit that the Ragnarok shit is stupid as fuck but overall, the narrative aspects are solid (until it shits the bed in the sequels)

I also hear a lot of complaints about not having minigames but honestly, the combat missions were enough for me. But if that's a contributing factor to your dislike of the game, I can't change that. But that's completely subjective, whereas the points I've addressed I believe are much less so
>>
>>376889180
FF Legend 1-3 (which were actually SaGa games) and FF Adventure (which is technically a Seiken Densetsu game, but also a FF spinoff)
>>
>>376889180
you probably meant this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di5Vhk3AEUc
>>
>>376887183
>First
VII
>Favourite
XI
n/a
>>
>>376889264
>literally says mystic quest
>>
>>376888885
>>376888941
that's begging the question. it's ok to reply to a post after a certain amount of time on one board because it's slow, and it's slow because posts are usually replied to after a longer amount of time
>>
>>376889226
>I don't feel the need to defend the ambience of the game, at all. The visuals are stunning and the soundtrack is amazing.
sure the music sounds good and the graphics are good, the problem was they don't match the mood and has pop music for background music. It didn't fit and felt very hackish.

>I also hear a lot of complaints about the story but honestly, as far as the character development goes, this is the most solid in the franchise except maybe Leon's in VIII. I'll be the first to admit that the Ragnarok shit is stupid as fuck but overall, the narrative aspects are solid (until it shits the bed in the sequels)
this I disagree, what the story does is the focus on the characters WAY too much, to a point you start to hate them. Plus just by adding a data log shows you don't have confidence in your own story telling to get your point across and pretty much says " oh this is a thing I forgot to put in my story" And they do this right after the event in said entry happened.
mini games I don't give a shit.

then the control scheme you mention. The reason is they could fix this with simply taking making the characters dodge and take small hits and retaliate with small hits and when the player inputs the commands that's when the real damage comes into play.

Finally the biggest problem was the hallway experience. Not many get this but part of an RPG is role playing, which means interactions with towns and npcs. There is very little in 13.
>>
>>376880280
>skyrim invented stat level ups upon using assigned abilities

kys nigger
>>
>>376867459
5 seconds? Try 20.

Going out in the field, want to heal up your group with items? Load times. Want to save real quick? Load times. Want to go a room further? Load times.

Shit got annoying real fast. At first I thought it wouldn't bother me as much but holy shit that stuff adds up quick.
>>
>>376889817
That's not even remotely what he said. Are you retarded?
>>
>>376889817
>being in this much of a rush to fling shit at someone
Damn, nu-/v/. You scary.
>>
>>376889180
FF Legend 1-3 (which is actually the SaGa series)
FF Adventure (which is actually the first Mana game)
>>
>>376889723
>pop music for background music
there's some peppy music when you're in the overworld (which I feel fits with the adventurous, in an unexplored land full of possibilites vibe) but I can't think of a single acutal pop song, much less an out of place one

as for the hallway experience, there are plenty of RPGs with minimal NPC interaction. Maybe it's out of place for FF, especially coming off 12, but it didn't bother me the least bit because I've played enough RPGs that I don't care about what they have to say, and the story isn't a relaxed pace where you can take your time. It has a goal, and a time limit (not only built into the story itself but also as part of the pacing, it NEEDS to be on the move because that's essential to the plot that's been set up)

I can understand why people personally don't enjoy 13, especially if they are expecting a traditional FF, but these complaints all seem to be coming from misplaced expectations rather than anything inherently wrong.

I never said I could make you like the game, just that I think I can help people acknowledge it's not a blatant steaming turd or anything so drastic. I'm not trying to make you say wtf I love FFXIII now, it's just not a bad game the way everyone says
>>
>>376874463
>It's the opposite. Both are totally unacceptable
What the fuck are you talking about
It's FF7 that had shit music, FF8 has the same music as PS1. And that would be the original anyway, FF7 and 8 on Steam use the best music
>>
>>376866865
>a real man plays final fantasy
>>
>>376876662
Yes, items are wortheless. I mean what the fuck, do you need that potion to beat FF8?
The only unique thing in Chocobo World is the Moogle summon.
>>
>>376887183
>First FF
>Favorite FF
>FF that made you done
>>
File: 1434637599325.jpg (183KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
1434637599325.jpg
183KB, 400x600px
>>376863449
>Or is the NES version the best? Is 1 even a real Final Fantasy?
You can play the NES version, just make sure you set the response rate to a minimum of 5.
>>
>>376887183
>First FF
IV
>Favorite FF
IX or Tactics
None.

XV made me feel hopeful for future major installments
>>
>>376890328
>and the story isn't a relaxed pace where you can take your time. It has a goal, and a time limit (not only built into the story itself but also as part of the pacing, it NEEDS to be on the move because that's essential to the plot that's been set up)
isn't relaxed? I disagree you can go at a slow pace because there is no timer and as for story pushing you I don't think so since there was a sell shop bot there for you to buy and customize. FF partly made exploration enjoyable by finding new items, 13 just steps back and says fuck that.
>but these complaints all seem to be coming from misplaced expectations rather than anything inherently wrong.
but they aren't wrong, it's final fantasy, you don't get a main title super mario game and expect him not to jump in the new one. It's not wrong to expect something like it's predicessors because sequels are supposed to take what was done and expand it even further, not scrap what made the series and expect it to do well. Though it did for time, but now it's being looked at as the one of the weakest Final Fantasies.
>I never said I could make you like the game...
not saying you are, but a lot of your points is preference in astehtics. Not all but a lot. That being said this game was made for a specific audience in mind and that worked against square and makes this game one of the weakest entries and has earned a lot of hate. What with the criticism reaction and how they try to tell the story which was also poorly done. I hate it and I gave it a chance to prove it's case by playing it, and it proved not just wanting but giving me the finger when I finished it.
>>
You can skip the first final fantasy.

Seriously. Just don't bother.

You will not enjoy it. I promise.
>>
>>376891198
lies and opinions
>>
After 1, i suggest going for V, Tactics then XII, so you can appreciate the best games with the best job systems.

Then go IV, VI, VII, IX, XIII for character driven stories.

Play II, VIII and X last for different kind of leveling systems.
>>
>>376891416
I highly recommend Tactics for a top tier story and protag.
>>
>>376891240

No one should ever have to play FF1 on NES for the first time ever in their life if they didn't play it like 20 years ago.

That game is fucking ancient and unplayable dude. It's a total mess.
>>
>>376891514
Not only is it ancient but it's also completely uninteresting. It's literally "you are the chosen ones go kill all the monsters". There's no story, no characters, no features of any kind.

And I played FF1 when it came out, still have my cartridge.

In comparison, FF2 is great, it has a story, characters, and a progression system. Shitty, yes, but at least it's not "autoattack till the end".
>>
>>376892108

Yeah, it's too simple. Years and years ago when you hadn't had the shit we've grown up with, FF1 was like "wow" but if you haven't played it by now, but have also played a bunch of other newer stuff, playing FF1 is literally a waste of ones own time.
>>
>>376880182
VII is great, but it's by no means the best.
>>
>>376890606
FF5 is manly as fuck
>>
File: 1487680437550.gif (4MB, 261x261px)
1487680437550.gif
4MB, 261x261px
>>376893797
>VII is great
>>
NES version is the best version. Don't be a pussy that needs hand holding. In fact you should probably play the original version of them all.
>>
>>376895594
please never post again, thanks
>>
>>376895668
>I'm retarded and need my games to be re-released with casualization and nerfs because I can't handle the original version
kys my man
>>
>>376863449
Don't be a faggot and play the original releases.

>FF1,2,3
NES
>FF4,5,6
SNES
>FF7,8,9
PS1
>FF10, 10-2, and 12
PS2
>FF13,13-2,13-3
PS3/360
>FF15
Whatever

11 and 14 are MMO's so they're safe to skip
>>
>>376895730
>i don't know what a remaster which doesn't change the game in any degree beyond bugfixing is
>>
>>376895730
>I don't need my spells, weapons, and stats to actually work because I'm so hardcore!
>>
>>376863449
>>376863651
>>376863748

Do not play the PS1 version, load times are atrocious.
Play the GBA or the PSP versions as they are virtually identical, expect they dont load from a shitty slow disc.
>>
>>376863449
PSP
PSP
PSP/DS
4-6: GBA with SNES audio patch
7-9: PS1 (or PSP for max comfy)
Aren't really worth playing after that desu
>>
>>376895730
hey faggot
no one cares how hardcore you play final fantasy games
>>
>>376895730
I beat the NES version a couple of months ago but I'd never endorse playing it unless you want the original experience. INT doesn't do anything. Crit chances are bugged. Chaos doesn't have his own unique music.
>>
File: ultima swing.png (36KB, 957x637px) Image search: [Google]
ultima swing.png
36KB, 957x637px
Play the PSP version

I recently finished the GBA version, posting few screenshots on a thread, and /v/ was yelling at me the whole time for not playing the PSP version. I got around to it eventually, and it is indeed the definitive version, even includes the music from other FF games to match the bonus dungeon bosses from their respective games.

I still haven't played FF2, so can't comment on that.
>>
>>376895879
>play on PS2 hooked up to a CRT
>set it to fast read times
>flawlessly play the game with next to no load screens
Son do you even retro?
>>
>>376874463
It's not just the sprites that are unnecesarily blurry, the tiles, the GUI, the portraits, there's a lot of things wrong with the FFVI Mobile/Steam Version. There's an interesting post on a blog about it, I'll link it if I find it.

Also:
>Both are totally unacceptable.
>But there's a way to fix the PC Version completely negating what I just said
>>
>>376874463
(>>376899547) here, there you go:
http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition
>>
File: maybe kek.jpg (714KB, 2258x1503px) Image search: [Google]
maybe kek.jpg
714KB, 2258x1503px
>>376874463
AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>376899914

Christ, it looks even worse than FFT
>>
>>376884720
The sequel of FFIV is also on PC though.
>>
File: reaction for this.png (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
reaction for this.png
35KB, 600x600px
>>376899914
>>
File: kek.png (321KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
321KB, 640x400px
>>376874463
OHOHOH!
HOOOOO!
>>
>>376899914
there's like 3 or 4 different art styles going on there
>>
>>376864467
The bugged RNG in the PS4 version was fixed. The PC version of X is the best. In the PC version you can speed up the game and turn off or increase random encounters.
>>
>>376900448
Normally you only see shit like that in some 12 year olds first rpg maker game where he cobbles together every tile set he can get.
>>
File: a88749996795d28571a42f91d676499b.jpg (670KB, 752x1062px) Image search: [Google]
a88749996795d28571a42f91d676499b.jpg
670KB, 752x1062px
>>376899914
>>376900073

I swear, those buildings are from Gariland
>>
Is FF1 the one with the lava dungeon? I remember running out of healing items once I got to the bottom of it, and having to run back through the lava to avoid random encounters
That was fun
>>
>>376863449
PS1 version is the way to go, all other versions change the gameplay and add fanfic tier content, the PSP version looks like a shitty RPG maker game too so avoid that.
>>376880937
>Which SaGa games are good?
All but the original SaGa 3 and SNES Romancing SaGa, both have been fixed by the DS and PS2 remakes.
>I tried the remake of the first one on PS
What are you talking about? Frontier? It's not a remake, it's a mainline entry.
>it just felt like a bunch of disjointed sidequests with nothing tying them together
Most quests are tied to the main one in all games or are tied to another MC's main quest, I don't know what you're talking about.
>my characters had no lines after joining me.
Yeah, SaGa games have huge casts so your party members don't talk much unless they're tied to a specific quest or MC, or if you count party banter in battles in some games like Unlimited or Minstrel Song, they usually have different lines or stories depending on the MC you're playing as, if you want them to blather endlessly about trivial shit like other RPGs, it's not the case here.
>>
File: black mage hadoken.gif (2MB, 720x500px) Image search: [Google]
black mage hadoken.gif
2MB, 720x500px
>>
>>376886576
>The characters and story felt like fan fiction because no one would actually like these characters outside their own series and be believable.
...you what now?
Good thing they ARE in their own series, which also happens to be turbo-high fantasy as well.
>>
>>376863449
NES version with a bugfix patch, like FF Restored.
>>
>>376863449
RPGs trigger my autism so bad when enemy sprites are much more detailed than the playable characters
>>
>>376895776
This.
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.