[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /v/ think of Dishonored? I never see threads about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: dishonored-wide.jpg (45KB, 950x594px) Image search: [Google]
dishonored-wide.jpg
45KB, 950x594px
What does /v/ think of Dishonored? I never see threads about it here. I love it, personally, one of my favorite games.
>>
Both great games, shame the second one sold poorly. Would love to get a DLC like we did for the first game.
>>
File: IMG_0212.jpg (69KB, 833x710px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0212.jpg
69KB, 833x710px
At least market some of you're newer shit Toddey boy
>>
>>376842313
Todd couldn't make a game as good as Dishonored if he had his life on the line. That faggot is an open world retard through and through.
>>
>>376841961
It was fun but the story pissed me off so I've never finished it.

>kill two people a mission
>everyone starts talking about what a violent psycho I am for killing murderers and rapists
Dropped.
>>
>>376842261
DLC for the second one has been confirmed.

https://www.thebitbag.com/dishonored-2-dlc-confirmed/235655
>>
Loved it when it first came out but the more that time goes on the more I just wish it was an actual stealth game and not a Victorian wizard game.

I'm also still pissed that Dishonored 2's port was so shit and still haven't bothered picking it up.
>>
The first one is decent, but has some notable flaws.
Considering how it's ripping off Thief, it missed a lot of the best parts.
Then Thi4f ripped off Dishonored and fucked it up, ironically.

Haven't played the second, but it's on a list of shit I want to play. 1 was solid, if nothing else.
>>
There were threads every few hours just 6 months ago, newfag.
>>
>>376841961
Its pretty good. Hopefully some additional content on par with the Daud DCL will come out for the sequel.
>>
One of the worst videogames I've ever played. It's nothing but a shitty god mode simulator. The game is easy as shit and it's almost impossible to die.
>>
>>376842437
Thank god.

I don't want none of that trial bullshit, either. Give me real content.
>>
>>376842584
if you play on easy mode sure
>>
File: LOW CHAOS.jpg (503KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LOW CHAOS.jpg
503KB, 1920x1080px
>>376842429
>kill two people a mission
>everyone starts talking about what a violent psycho I am for killing murderers and rapists

Nice meme, or did you mean to say that you killed thirty people a mission? Because then that would be accurate
>>
>>376842815
Not that guy, but I completed it on the hardest difficulty and blink just makes everything a fucking cakewalk.
If you're a total casual sure it'll punish you, but anyone who's played Thief 2 or has any common sense can breeze through it.
>>
>>376841961
>player can choose between lethal and non-lethal approach to missions
>game clearly favours non-lethal instead of giving ups and downs to both
It's trash.
>>
>>376841961
>What does /v/ think of Dishonored?
It's impressive and fun, but for me, deeply flawed. I feel like they took the whole "do it your way" a little TOO far, basically turning the game into a fun and very creative toy, but removing any actual, direct-mechanic-imposed challenge. I felt like I'm forcing myself to be challenged, not being pushed towards that through the mechanics. We actually kinda discussed this in a Prey thread earlier today: while the game can be made challenging by various self-imposed limitations (no wall-hack, no kill, no blink etc...), these kinds of things feel far more satisfying when you have to play thing creative out of necessity, not by mere option.

Also, the story was garbage. The settings were great and the level design was good, but the story itself was pretty awful, which was a shame for otherwise such a beautiful and atmospheric game.

In the end, I did not regret the money I've spent (my no-blink run was particularly enjoyable, and I have to applaud theb devs for clearly accomodating it in the level-design), but it felt like a proof of concept of what could be a really damn great game, rather than a great game.

I never got around to playing the DLC's or the sequel, but I'm definitely planning on doing so.

With all that mind, you might consider looking into Arkane's Prey if you liked Dishonored. Most people talk about it's relationship with System Shock and Bioshock franchises, but honestly I think the connection to Dishonored is equally as important. It actually has a very similar design philosophy and approach to problem-solving. It is a lot better balanced though, much harder and much less making you feel like an absolute superhero, even if the skill-sets are actually fairly similar.
>>
>>376843363
I don't get how most games fuck this up

Make non-lethal more rewarding but harder to do cos MUH MORALS
Lethal is far easier, but less rewarding

How is this so fucking hard? All the upgrades in Dishonored aim you towards lethal stuff too and then you never use it as the game slaps your hands if you do.
>>
poorly balanced, offensively casual attempt at immersive sim. played half of the first and dropped it
>>
>>376843489
The Dishonored DLC and Dishonored 2 pretty much keep the exact same strengths and flaws.
>>
>>376843363
It's a common issue with these sorts of games.
>>
>>376843363
>game favors non-lethal
>almost every power and item/weapon is meant to help you play lethally
But muh ending slideshow
>>
Huge disappointment. Didn't even bother to pirate the sequel.
>>
File: 1493939681495.gif (443KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1493939681495.gif
443KB, 480x238px
>Game is easy if you abuse powers
>Game sucks if you murder everyone
>>
>>376843363
Not really. Storywise it gives you a worse ending, but in terms of efficiency, non-lethal is much more powerful and interesting.
Basically, the trade-off for the lethal approach is bad ending (and increased difficulty on some missions), while the trade-off for non-lethal is lower efficiency and slower, less varied options, but good ending and lowered difficulty on some missions.

Now, I'm still not particularly fond of this approach simply because instead of making the non-lethal approach simply more challenging, it also makes it a bit less FUN to play, and I think that is not a good strategy. But it's definitely not true that there aren't clear trade-offs for both sides.

>>376843052
This image is somewhat misleading, because it only shows TOTAL chaos. You can go full rampage for one mission but non-kill for seven previous ones and you'll still get a low chaos rating. The chaos rating is actually directly tied to percentage of characters killed per all completed missions, I think you need to kill 30 or less percent of enemies in the sum of all your missions to get low chaos rating.
>>
>>376843687
I expected as much. Which is one of the reasons why I haven't bought them yet. I will, eventually. But right now I've spent all my gaming spending money for the next few months on Prey, so it ain't gonna be anytime soon.
>>
Daud DLC was really fun

overall I liked the game but I wish it took a little more from Thief and a little less from Bioshock
>>
File: 25347168729_dc79a29092_k.jpg (615KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
25347168729_dc79a29092_k.jpg
615KB, 2048x1152px
>>376841961
Dishonored games are 9/10, one of the best i've ever played, i miss those gathering for whiskey and cigars threads.
despite its performance issues, i found the second game overall better than the first, it gameplay and combat felt more smooth and fluid, better graphiclly and better ost.
and level design is superior.
lady boyle and house of pleasure were great, but clockwork mansion and crack in the slab are on a whole new level.
i hope the performance gets improved once the dlc drops.
>>
I played the first Dishonored nonlethal and thought it was pretty boring. I played the second one going lethal and thought it was more fun but way too easy.
>>
>>376844085
It took a lot from a lot of games, but Bioshock was not really one of them.
>>
>>376841961
First one was fun, but way too short with little replay value.

Second one, idk haven't gotten around to it yet, not in any kind of rush.
>>
Both are among my favorite games.
I wish I was better though.
>>
lethal makes the game easy and fun
non-lethal makes the game hard and boring
and one gives you the bad end the other gives you the good end
pretty terrible game design to be honest
>>
>>376843363
The game favors lethal.

Sure you get a "worse" ending, but you can just walk through the game like it's call of duty on easy mode.

non-lethal and ghosting takes considerable time.
>>
>>376841961
They're basically 9/10 games. And almost everyone agree on the pros and cons of this series, there is no shitpost or "LOL GOTY !!! JPN BTFO". So yeah not many threads about that series on /v/

No one would say they're perfect, but Arkane did so many things right with it. Dishonored 2 level design in particular is insane, the clockwork mansion, the "time traveling" house, even the classical levels like the Addermire Institute or the palace of Luca Abel are excellent.

Also, very little attention paid to the story but huge emphasis on the gameplay, which is a rare thing nowadays for a western (is France considered western ?) game.
>>
>>376845046
>Also, very little attention paid to the story but huge emphasis on the gameplay, which is a rare thing nowadays for a western (is France considered western ?) game.
I have to take an issue with this, at least in regards of the first game. It does not spend any more or less time on the story than most modern high-profile games do these days. The story was crap, but there was quite a lot clearly invested in it.
>>
>>376845046
Of course France is western
>>
>>376841961
Awful stealth games, but great games if you ignore the stealth element and just fuck around with AI and powers.

Level design is great too, especially in sequel. Arkane also has great world building (sadly shitty stories) and lots of interactive elements.
>>
stealth is too easy, high chaos is the way to play it
>>
>>376845370
Well, you're absolutely right. I wanted to say that their story were not that good though that poisoned drink mid Dishonored 1 was actually cool, I knew something was off... but it was a bad way of saying it.
>>
I liked the first game, but there was something about the second one I just couldn't enjoy.
>>
>>376841961
worst arkane series
>>
>>376841961
It's alright. A little bland. It starts to great on me if I play it more than once or twice
>>
>>376845046
>9/10
They're 6/10
>>
obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8
>>
>>376841961
One of the few games I've actually dropped. I like stealth and steampunk but for some reason this one just flopped in so many ways. It was piss easy, you were penalized for playing the way you wanted to even after they said you can play however you want, the AI was absolutely retarded, and god damn was it ugly.

Such a shame.
>>
>>376849042
StealthgamerBR is a beast, his videos are so good.
>>
File: 312765918328765.png (42KB, 284x207px) Image search: [Google]
312765918328765.png
42KB, 284x207px
>>376849223
>you were penalized for playing the way you wanted
>>
>>376849607
Yeah, he only made a handful of Dishonored 2 videos tho, weird he didn't play it more.
>>
File: 1396938151518.jpg (49KB, 292x293px) Image search: [Google]
1396938151518.jpg
49KB, 292x293px
>>376849223
I don't believe in opinions because of people like you.
>>
>>376849670
>>376849814
Y'know what? You're right. I'm just being a pain in the ass here.

When I think about it, Dishonored might be one of those gems that I didn't enjoy at first but had I stuck with it I'd have enjoyed immensely. I just judged it too soon.

Trying to turn over a new leaf here and stop arguing over /v/ about games I know little about.
>>
>>376850269
Good on you anon. At what point did you drop the game anyways?
>>
>>376849223
Maybe you should have stick with it a bit more. It actully become a great game once Arkane can deploy their god tier level design. You're not "penalized" in a gameplay matter if you play aggro instead of stealth, it's just an achievement thing.
>>
I didn't play the first game until last year, and I couldn't believe how good it was. The first time I played it I actually just got bored and dropped it, but a few months later I picked it up again, it was amazing. DH2 is just as good, if not surpassing the first game in every way except the story maybe, which was slightly better in the first.
>>
>>376850613
I was probably partway into the third level. I think. I recall killing a guy I could have branded and then exiled or something.

Really didn't like all the collecting and RPG elements. Kinda wanted a Hitman style game where you just suited up and went on a mission.

>>376850804
I'm gonna give it another shot. It's unlikely I'll find another stealth steampunk game again and I like both of those things.
>>
>>376851028
Check this out
http://www.nexusmods.com/dishonored/mods/1/?
This way you can play through the game with whatever you want.
>>
>>376844168
>i found the second game overall better than the first
Yeah Dishonored 2 is better in almost every way than the first one. The plot was a completely bland, but the gameplay and the level design, are unprecedented. Some levels really blew my mind.

Also playing as Emily was cool. Her powers are extremely fun to use.
>>
>>376851336
That looks pretty fun. I don't even want to run around like a maniac, much prefer to take everyone out without anyone knowing I'm doing it.
>>
>>376851028
>Kinda wanted a Hitman style game

Ok, I understand why you didn't liked the game then. It's clearly not a "stealth" game like Hitman can be. If you expected that, it's just normal to be disappointed. To be entirely truthful in Dishonored 2, the stealth part is almost like a setting for you to use your almighty powers and explore freely the maps.
Regarding the collecting, it's a bit in the tradition of games like Thief so maybe, it's just not your type of games.

And yes Dishnored 1 has a nice art style but is very ugly. Something that can be said of almost all Arkane games now that I think of it.
>>
>>376852531
I had this issue with Bioshock. Early on I hate it. The fuck is this weird shit? I seem weak as hell, weapons are scarce, the people looked weird before they got all spliced... Wasn't a fan and dropped it. Went back months later and finally "got it." Became one of my favourites.
>>
>>376852531
*very loosely based on thief*
>>
>>376852852
If you liked Bioshock you could check out the new Prey also made by Arkane. No shill but it's actually good despite looking like a boring shit in the trailers. Though if you're not a huge fan of RPG elements, it might be a risky bet I admit.
>>
The story of these games is really bad, but everything else is great.
>>
>>376856637
>The story is bad
I don't understand this. I thought it was perfectly fine, why do you think it was bad?
>>
File: 1452041230252.png (117KB, 683x470px) Image search: [Google]
1452041230252.png
117KB, 683x470px
I don't know what it is about Dishonored 2, but I just can't get into it. I really liked the first game and it's a technical improvement in almost every way (save for the annoying voiced protags who never shut the fuck up and the story that somehow managed to be even shittier) but it just never really grabbed me the same way. There were moments where it got close like Jondosh's mansion, but not much beyond that. Couldn't even tell you why.
>>
>>376849223
why cant i kill every guard in the city and get a thu happy ending >:((
>>
>>376858471
Better question: Why can't I depopulate the entire city and get an edgy 'fuck the world' ending for killing every human I see?
>>
if you can really do anything why can't you jerk off
>>
>>376857167
Maybe you just preferred the London Steampunk aesthetic.
>>
>>376860574
Not really, I'm usually not a fan of steampunk in general and the aesthetic of Dishonored 1 wasn't what I appreciated about it. I think it kind of comes down to how much they reused from the first game instead of giving it an identity of it's own. I think I would have liked it more if it had a whole set of new characters and villains separate from the first game and tried harder to be it's own thing, as it stands it feels really been there done that. I also kind of wish they didn't try explaining the Outsider the way they did, it just kinda ruined his mystique.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.