[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into Final Fantasy but I know literally nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.png (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
33KB, 300x300px
I want to get into Final Fantasy but I know literally nothing about it.
How do I get into it when I only have my PC?
What order should I play the games?
Help a lost soul out.
>>
Avoid 3, 8, 13 then 15 and you're set.
>>
>>376797025
This, though I'd also recommend skipping 2, the mechanics are an absolute clusterfuck.
>>
>>376797025
Why? Don't they all sequate each other? (just made up a word)
>>
>>376797132

They're just bad, and I forgot to add 2. As well.
>>
Tough one.

I would say get a GameBoy Advance emulator (VBA is the best), and play FFVI Advance. From there, opinions vary.

I would also stress that you begin by playing the older games first, so that you can experience the best of the franchise before getting into the more questionable entries.

Entries to keep in mind for sure: I, IV, V, VI, IX

Entries hotly debated: II, III, VII, VIII, X, XII

Entries to avoid: X-2 (piece of shit), XI (dead MMO), XIII and both sequels to it (a total trainwreck), XIV (it's an MMO, though quite a good one if people are to be believed), XV (wait for the damn game to be finished at the very least)

And no, none of the games have anything to do with each other, so order is irrelevant.

This is only taking into account main numbered entries.
>>
>>376797247
Thanks for the info. So none of the games are related to each other? So I can just jump in headfirst instead of playing them chronologically?
>>
>>376797132
No, not at all. The only sequels in the franchise are the sequel to 4, the sequels and prequels of VII, and X-2. Well, there's 13-2 and whatnot but as was already stated you should avoid 13
>>
>>376797247
Keep in mind that you can play XIV for free up to level 35 if you want
>>
>>376797247
As for best ways to play all versions, in my opinion:

I - PSP Version, hands down. Best music, best sprites, shitton of extra content added, definitive experience.

II - I would also say PSP version here. Sprites are very good and it includes the extra campaign.

III - DS version (I think it's on Steam too?). Avoid the original like the fucking plague.

IV - I would personally go with the GBA version, since it has the extra dungeons and party member swapping. But you may want to check the DS version out too. Avoid the "remaster" which comes bundled with The After Years (a sequel), it fucking blows and it's a mobile made piece of shit.

V - GBA version. There's a "remastered" version but it's a piece of shit mobile game ported to Steam, and it fucking blows.

VI - GBA version. Again, avoid the mobile piece of shit remaster.

VII - Get the Steam version, mod with with the new translation, models and music fixes.

VIII - Same as above only there's no new translation.

IX - The PC port is actually quite good, go with that.

X - PC port is on par with the PS4 version, so there. AVOID X-2 FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

XII - Either emulate the PS2 version or wait for the remaster to come out.
>>
>>376797615
This I didn't know, thanks. I only said to avoid XIV since it's an MMO and clearly not everyone's cup of tea.

From what I hear, it's quite a good MMO, for whatever that's worth.
>>
>>376797640
I appreciate it man.
>>
>>376797640
Forgot... if you really want to:

XIII - PS3 version. All three of them. I hear Lightning Returns is actually a decent PC port, but fuck them.
>>
>>376797576
Speaking of which, if you end up liking VII, check out Crisis Core.

If you REALLY like VII and like Vincent Valentine for some reason, try Dirge of Cerberus.

Neither of them play like VII and DoC is pretty heavily panned but I had fun with it so fuck y'all
>>
>>376797640
Downloading PPSSPP now.
>>
>>376797640
Fuck off, X-2 has the best gameplay out of the whole series, plus Rikku in a thong. The game is a winner.
>>
>>376797810
Disagree, with XIII you ought to go for the pc port due to high rendering resolutions and fps with GeDoSaTo.
>>
>>376797892
I remember trying XIII when it came out on PC and it had a fuckload of porting problems. Never looked at it again.

If they fixed it then fine, PC port it is.
>>
>>376796949
Its sort of hard to get a real consensus on these games - they are all different, have different stories and characters, and for the most part different battle systems. So one person's favorite could easily be 20 people's most hated entry, and vice versa.

That being said, starting off on VI or VII is solid. VI to get a great taste of the older era, VII to taste the PS1 era. Branch out from there based on personal interest.

X and XII are good, with XII being pretty divisive. Some see it as a boring story with an odd mmo like combat system, but i think it has the best world and story and lore and music so idk. Def check them out.

XIII and its associates should be avoided. Same with the MMO's.
>>
File: vanille.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
vanille.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>376797961
Yeah, PC is the 'definitive version', hands down, in case he wants to play it at some point. The rest of the games will provide many hours of play.

Moms are tough :^)
>>
>>376797846
As for spinoffs:

FF Tactics - Grab the PSP Version, War of the Lions. Absolute bomb of a game, to me, the best spinoff the franchise put out.

FF Crisis Core - Only if you like VII. Gameplay is not that hot, but the story's quite good and the ending is one of the best I've seen in the whole franchise.

Dissidia FF - Look, if you want fanservice regarding all the characters in a quirky fighting game, grab Duodecim. Why? Because it comes bundled with the original one and better mechanics. Don't expect a grand storyline, though. I enjoyed them for what they are: pure fanservice.

I haven't played any other spinoffs, so maybe someone else can throw their input.
>>
>>376798194
Alright. I'll check it out again someday and see what it's like.

Are there any kind of mods for it out there?
>>
>>376798243
Also if you like FFT, check Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together

It's basically FFT but archers are fucking broken and you get the Thunder God equivalent in the very beginning instead of later in the game.
>>
>>376798321
Agree. I was just keeping to FF for this thread.

Maybe someone can talk about FFTA and FFTA2? I haven't played them.
>>
>>376798313
Not to my knowledge, just remember to get GeDoSaTo for rendering options, unlocked fps and post-processing stuff. It's very easy to set up.
>>
>>376798375
Pros: more races than just humans
Cons: fucking retarded mechanics
Oops you're not allowed to use magic
Oops you're not allowed to use items
>>
>>376798408
Gotcha.

>>376798464
What about the storyline?
>>
>>376798574
From what I've heard the storyline is basically "go and beat up a cripple so that he wakes up from his dream where he's not a cripple because "fantasies are unhealthy"
>>
>>376798631
Sounds like a far cry from FFT's storyline. I think I'll continue to give them a pass.

Can someone talk about Type-0? I still have it pending.
>>
>>376797846
One more thing.

Common sense would tell you to start with FFI. If you do, that's fine, however be advised that this is a franchise that likes to change the core gameplay mechanics with every main installment (more or less). Many of the franchise's staple elements, like summons or a vast, overarching storyline with many twists and turns are mostly not present in the first one. The story is not bad, it's just simple compared to the later entries.

That said, starting with other entries, like VI as I said in my first post, will maybe make it harder to play the first one afterwards.

Your call on what and how you want to experience first.
>>
>>376799124
I'm going to play the games chronologically starting with Final Fantasy's PSP version.
I appreciate all the replies!
>>
>>376797025
8 is good though. It's just very easy to break (but you don't have to) and the story gets progressively dumber.
>>
>>376797640
For XII you need to tell him to play the IZJS version.
>>
>>376799927
I personally think it's better than VII, but I usually don't say this 'cause all it gets me is a truckload of flames my way :P

It's also the first FF I've ever played, so that may be a bias. But yeah, the storyline is very shoddy at moments.

>>376800035
Ah, right. Well, I did tell him to wait for the remaster to come out, that kinda covers it.
>>
>>376797025

No truer words have been spoken. (Tho I might swap out 3 for 2)
>>
Just a daily reminder that this exists

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDqea9cWOn4

I miss him :(
>>
File: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.png (279KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.png
279KB, 500x384px
>>376798706
>I think I'll continue to give them a pass.
You are making a mistake and are being sold the game by an anon who isn't interested in getting you to play it. If you play FFT and like it (which you will) then you'll want to play FFTA. It's worth it just for the gameplay and job system. The story is an isekai featuring an MC who wants to go home asap and is willing to destroy the world to accomplish that goal.
>>
>>376800273
>U have the downs

only funny part.
>>
>>376800301
I HAVE played FFT, as I stated earlier. I recommended War of the Lions to the OP wholeheartedly.

The other poster summed up the story in a way that disinterested me. Now I have your opinion which is 100% different. So, I guess I'll have to check them out eventually.
>>
Play IV advance because it was the first title to get a good story in and introduced the ATB system which is the best battle system for FF

Play V advanced because it has the traditional job system and does it better than 3 while also having the ATB system and good story.

Then after that go for whichever. I recommend skipping 6 even though most people loved it. I hate it for the reason that the game jumps all over between different party members with different stories going on at the same time.

If you're still interested then go play X as it's the next natural eveloution to the FF series, reintroducing turn based combat with a sphere grid level up system to customize your characters. Skip 11-14 and play 15 if you want to experience this gen's final fantasy although imo it's dogshit.

In short play IV,V,X and XV if you want a taste of what the entire franchise has to offer
>>
>>376796949
I think you missed your Chance. FF9 was one of the first games i played on my ps1 and it blew my brain out so hard ibwill forever search for a similar experience.

FF10 (is nice because it deals with religion but the dialoges can get cringy)
>>
>>376800770
How did I miss my chance? I've never been spoiled to any of the storylines so I can still get my cherry popped.
>>
>>376798375
FFT:a2 is fun skip ffta
>>
>>376800770
>FF10 (is nice because it deals with religion
Is that really what first comes to mind when you think of the good things FFX did?
>>
>>376800840
Not to mention, as I stated, it's been rereleased on PC and the port is much better than the original PS1 version, with improved textures and resolution along with other minor adjustments, while keeping the same perfect PS1 experience (except disc swapping, of course, cause disk swapping always sucked)

Just make sure not to use the cheats the game provides with your first playthrough :P (they allow you to turn off random encounters, max your characters' HP and MP, always deal 9999 damage and give you 999999999 gil)
>>
>>376801104
Oh you don't have to worry about me cheating lol. My golden rule is to play games the way the developers intend it to be played.
>>
>>376796949
>How do I get into it when I only have my PC?
They are literally all on Steam except for 1, 2 and 12
although if you play 5 and 6 on steam I'll fucking kill you faggot
>>
>>376801537
I didn't know that. I literally woke up thinking I want to try these games and came here. My life is on a whim lol.
>>
>>376801104
>while keeping the same perfect PS1 experience
Including the retarded delay in the battle system making your commands out of sync with what happens almost immediately?
>>
>>376796949
1, psp version
2, skip
3, ds version
4, snes version
5, gba version with sound fix patch
6, snes version with retranslation + uncensor patch
7, steam version
7-CC, e,ulate psp version
7-DoC, 7f you're really interested emulate it on pcsx2
8, pc version (google up some mod that let's you use it on modern machines, were you can set a higher resolution and 8 bit textures, otherwise you'll have graphical glitches)
9, stwam version (it loojs quite fine in motion and just gives too much quality of life improvements to play the PS version instead)
10, emulate the ps2 version with pcsx2, fuck the HD shit
10-2, see above (or just skip altogether, the scraps of good storx are very few)
11, MMO, if you're still interested, get on a private server
12, see 10 or wait for the remaster
13, play the first on pc at 4k@60, skip the other two (yes, 13-2 has better gameplay and isn't as linear, but it's among the worst tine traveling games that exist and the story is even more rerarded than in 13)
14, no idea
15, wait for the pc, if there never is one, you didn't miss much

Sometimes along the beginning you can throw in FFT, just emulate the ps version.

Don't listen to the faggots telling you to skip 3 and 8. They're just brain damaged faggots who couldn't tactics to beat the bosses in the 3 ds remake and/or understand the leveling/junctioning system in 8.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.