[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you need to legitimately need to suffer from autism or asperger's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: Dwarf_Fortress_embark_scene.png (5KB, 412x238px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf_Fortress_embark_scene.png
5KB, 412x238px
Do you need to legitimately need to suffer from autism or asperger's syndrome to appreciate Dwarf Fortress?
>>
No.
>>
No. it's a fantasic work of software with a learning curve, nothing more.
>>
>>376763265
Just need some free time.
>>
Literally
>>376763613

I couldn't get into it for a good while until I used the LNP with a good tileset and dwarf therapist.
>>
>Figure out how to dig, build and put shit in spots
>Werepanda wrecks the fortress
I fucking hate this game
>>
>>376765734
>game doesn't hold your hand
>this is a bad thing
>>
>>376765891
It's bad when I have no idea how to defend against threats
In Dark Souls, it's at least clear on what you have to do. Dorfs is just needlessly obtuse.
>>
>>376766287

So you fucking LEARN you jackalope.

That's the thing that gets me about people that don't like DF.

Why do you have such an aversion to learning? It's not even difficult to learn how to play it, it just takes more than the 2 seconds people are used to because all video games are the same now.
>>
>>376766287
>learning is hard
>>
>>376766287
df is ez af bitchboi lol learn to make a bridge
>>
File: 1494272120297.gif (483KB, 272x251px) Image search: [Google]
1494272120297.gif
483KB, 272x251px
>>376765734

Fucking were creatures are dumb but they make for some fun.

>Werellama attacks fort
>Militia kill it
>Check report and it shows one has been bitten
>Station him in a hole
>Cover hole
>Un-enlist him from militia
>Slowly starving to death in a hole
>Crisis contained
>He shifts, and stays in the same spot
>Satiated all his hunger,no wounds, totally fine.
>Dig around him with massive channels
>He is now standing in the middle of a small chunk of land surrounded by a large pit
>Put him on display for my dorfs
>Eventually he starts yelling at everyone because he's been isolated for a few years now
>Scaring other dorfs
>Have my militia use him for target practice as soon as he transforms
>If he dies, good. If he lives then he's a great training tool.

I love this stupid game.
>>
I learned, couple of hiccups here and there with trading and what not, but eventually it was beauty killed the beast...

Dug pretty goshdarn low, couple of dorfs killed by cave creatures. Just got bored after a while, training all my dudes to take on like the second enemy i encounter? Got frustrated with the training itself...

its a pretty significant commitment of time to get anywhere but Im probably just being a pleb
>>
>>376766287
What about, like, a wall
Or do only autistic people know about walls?
>>
>>376763265
Just use a graphics pack
>>
If anything DF isn't hard enough. It has the same problem as Minecraft, once you establish a base underground you can just barricade the front door and be invincible forever. Digging invaders when?
>>
>>376766473
Hey, asshole, I had the walkthrough and I was learning the ropes. It just hadn't gotten around to explaining how to issue attacks
Seriously, you dorffags are insufferable. Games back then didn't require a fucking correspondence course to get into, and they shouldn't need one. If Toady wants to make a rich detailed universe, more power to him, but I'd rather that effort be spent on intuitive design. Because what good is there in autistic detail if the game is fundamentally stunted?
The fucking Peter Molyneux management sims have considerably less depth, but in terms of design and mechanics, they are leagues ahead of Dorf
>>
>>376766951

You don't need a corespondence course to learn it. You just use your fucking eyes and whatever little brain power you have left you dumb faggot

Dwarf Fortress isn't about the GAME. It's about the PLAYER AUTHORED STORY.

You don't play it to win, you play it for the funny shit that happens to you and the stories you can craft from them.
>>
>>376766951
Dude issuing commands isn't even hard. I'm not even a hardcore dwarf fag but it's honestly not hard to watch a tutorial to get a general idea of what you can do or how to get started then and you start playing on your own looking up how to do stuff. It's not like when minecraft or teraria came out it told you recipes. You either knew them or looked them up. If you can figure out how to issue commands or how to do somthing you want to do like build a bridge just because you're too lazy to read or watch a video then that's on you. You just need to get good not every game should have to spoon feed you.
>>
>>376763265
just be a lazy newb like the rest of us
>>
>>376766951
If you want more good ol fashioned fun, re roll your world with more mega beasts, events and all that. Embark in a war zone, antagonize everyone.

I personally aren't creative enough to have endgame really just building whatever I want. There is a lot of wacky stuff to build, it's just less 2d minecraft with hostiles
>>
No, you just need to be a gen Z clueless kid who thinks dated graphics and roguelike gameplay is sign of a "hardcore" game due to being raised with shitty modern gaming and "hard" memegames like Souls.
>>
>>376763265
cool meme
>>
>>376767325
I'd say it ought to from how sloppily designed this piece of shit is!
>>
>>376763265
You don't need to be a sperg but you do need to like the same things spergs like.
>>
>>376766287
Only autistic people know what an army is.
>>
>>376767542
no one is claiming DF is hardcore, we're just saying it's fun
>>
>>376766896
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Climber
>>
>>376766896
Walls are racist
>>
File: 1490504451495.gif (178KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1490504451495.gif
178KB, 160x160px
Less arguing more dorf stories

>Fort set up, everyone doing work
>Decide to have militia go do some light hunting to get a bit of experience
>Send commander to fight giant snakes that are roaming about
>He forgets his weapon
>Dont even bother sending him back want to see what happens
>Fight ensues
>Suddenly bones go flying in every damn direction
>Panic
>Check log
>Commander through some cosmic coincidence punched out all the giant snake's teeth
>Proceeded to wrestle it to death while his dog bit it
>>
>>376767717
You can give the walls a ceiling and make it so there is literally only one entry point
>>
>>376767717
first time something climbs over you learn to use an overhanging wall
which is not a particularly hard concept to grasp either
>>
>>376765734
>figured out how to dig
Oh man. When it comes time to figure out irrigation you are going to be upset.
>>
>>376767968
is he planning to add the need for constant irrigation and soil depletion?
otherwise irrigation is easy
>>
>>376768075
i think anon was implying that 'learning' how to dig isn't an accomplishment, since it's just d-d
>>
>>376768075
>is he planning to add the need for constant irrigation and soil depletion?

Oh my god. I hope not. I'm just lazy though.
>>
>>376768176
you know just as well as me this is exactly the sort of thing that's on his todo list
perhaps bundled in the update where creatures leave excrements that can be used as fertilizer and your dwarves actually need a bathing and defecation area to remain happy
>>
>>376763265
nah, but i bet it makes it easier. i really liked the stories about it that made me laugh so i wanted to learn, so i did. it's just so adorably janky while also making absolutely ridiculous situations happen
>>
>>376768336
Nigga you don't really know that much about Toady, do you? He doesn't want to add feces to the game.
>>
>>376768519
For the dwarf? Its easy to understand that
For the animals like cows and monkeys?
Could happen because on how it would be used as manure or as weapon for monkeys
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.