[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this perform so well on my mediocre rig? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: doom-2016-walkthrough-640x325.jpg (45KB, 640x325px) Image search: [Google]
doom-2016-walkthrough-640x325.jpg
45KB, 640x325px
Why does this perform so well on my mediocre rig? I don't understand. Also it's really fucking fun, finding the plasma rifle in the second level was great.
>>
MEGA TEXTURES MAGIC
>>
>>376695631
I thought mega textures were a big meme after Rage was considered just okay.
>>
Because it's optimized to run very smoothly on consoles, making even your mediocre rig more than sufficient.
It's quite a lot of techno-wizardry and good allocation of resources into polishing and optimizing the game, though it is also true that the game suffered on some levels to allow this: limitations on the numbers of enemies in active region in particular were... unfortunate.

Still, it's a well made game. Fun too.
>>
>>376695743
Yeah I've noticed enemy counts being low at times or coming in in waves, though I suppose it's partially masked if you're busy killing shit. Maybe Doom 2(018) will be more refined.
>>
>>376695563
Because Id have wizards when it comes to that shit.
>>
>>376695563
The funny thing is on release it ran pretty badly but then as soon as denuvo was removed it ran great after release.
>>
>>376695563
Because ID are still fucking wizards. Shit somehow manages to run at 60FPS on consoles.
>>
>>376695715
Doom 2016 uses virtual textures, the same thing as mega textures just renamed and slightly different.
>>
File: 379720_20161029123213_1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
379720_20161029123213_1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>376696220
Your completely full of shit I was getting 120+ consistently on a 1070/6700k with vulkan before Denuvo was removed.
>>
File: 379720_20161101010518_1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
379720_20161101010518_1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>376696302
>>
File: 379720_20161104041100_1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
379720_20161104041100_1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>376696350
>>
>>376696301
A shame that Rage did so poorly they were had to change the name. MEGA TEXTURES sounds cooler.
>>
>>376695563
visual textures
levels are small and it never has to render a ton of shit at once, the levels are full of static assets
the game looks pretty nice too but the actual gameplay design and balancing is complete garbage
>>376696239
rage also runs at 60 fps on the old consoles which is pretty impressive
>>
id are good at optimising thier games for performance. Less so at filesizes though, fucking game is gigantic.

The enemy limit is a shame. Games biggest flaw. It's not really excusable either, even for consoles. Other games have literal dozens of active enemies at once. Take Bloodborne for example, how many individual enemies are in the forest? It must be close to 80, around 20 differs types a boss fight and a miniboss, all are spawned at once and with 3 players you can have agro'd enemies at 3 corners of a giant map. Plus there's no loading screens when you move to any of the three connecting levels.

DOOM's 12 enemy limit is pitiful.
>>
>>376696654
>rage also runs at 60 fps on the old consoles which is pretty impressive
Damn that is, haven't played rage on consoles but anything last gen that looks half decent at 60FPS is impressive.
>>
>>376696302
That's because you were using a 1070 you immense fucking twat
>>
>>376696704
>less so at filesizes though, fucking game is gigantic.
Sadly there are 30+GB of multiplayer DLC no one will ever play.
>>
>>376696129
The game does a good job creating combat encounters, the composition of enemy waves and enemy design in this regard matters more than the sheer numbers, but yeah, the are some really hard limits on how many enemies are within the region at any given time, which because rather blatantly obvious when you fool around in the level editor. I think it's like 32 enemies max at any point of the game, something like that.

It's good that the game compensates for it, I don't think the actual core gameplay suffered for it, but it does limit the possibilites in modding and shit dramatically.
>>
>>376695563
Didn't work on my laptop even on lowest settings, while Andromeda, Resi7 and BF1 did. BF1, game from DICE, company that makes amazing looking games that always run like absolute shit, worked. DOOOOM didn't. So don't you fucking lie to me OP, don't you fucking lie.
>>
>>376696812
I saw zero performance gains after denuvo was removed. I was playing it on a 270x with a i7 860 before I upgraded and I still got over 60FPS almost consistently at med-high settings.
>>
>>376696129
>>376696905
it does a good job at trying to hide it's shortcomings but if you ever stop and think about how it's actually put together you'll realise it's just a big mess
>>376696806
looks pretty average but solid 60 fps no drops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMB3qWaHTfQ
>>
>>376697275
I don't agree. I think it's a good shooter. Not amazing, there is something about it's really washed out color palette and generic enemy designs that just made eventually lose interests in it, but I think as far as core mechanical design goes it's well put together. The studio had their priorities up and I think the priorities were mostly well concieved, and they had the know-how and skill how to pull it off.
>>
This game was fun but I got stuck in a room later in the game

You walk through a teleporter and fall into a room filled with those laser shooting fuckers and imps

Only like 1 revenant and caco, just a shitload of those guys spamming projectiles

Everytime I went back I just got frustrated with that room, I think part of me realized thats the entire game, youre stuck in this room, now kill everything. Still fun though

I think I'm just going to drop down from UV and finish it up
>>
>>376697542
What's happening in the level?

I finished this game UN with no upgrades, I can tell you how to get by arenas.

Also, which weapons/upgrades?
>>
>>376697438
>visuals
All top quality stuff but who cares about that
>I think as far as core mechanical design goes it's well put together.
no, it's a fuckup they took no cues from the original in how to design enemies and weapons for various combat roles and make encounters interesting
levels are fucking boring and have no replayability
even the movement is neutered
id is fucking dead
>>
>this is still on my 2016 backlog
>i'm still playing games from 2015 and earlier

fuck
>>
>>376697741
Each weapon does have it's own role though.

>SSG
Made for taking out chuncky enemies up close

>Machine gun
Used to chip health of smaller enemies

>Chain gun
Used to chip health and hitstun bigger enemies/hoardes of enemies

>Shotgun
For cheaper alternative to groups

>Plasma gun
For distracting/damaging larger waves of enemies in a short time

>Rocket Launcher
Damaging chunky enemies that are clustered by smaller ones

>Gauss Rifle
For killing those high HP sons of bitches quickly and effectively.

>BFG 9000
It's the BFG.
>>
>>376697658
Sorry anon I'm at work and I'm just posting from memory

But basically the checkpoint is me walking through a blue teleporter and dropping into room filled with possessed soldiers and the laser shooting dudes with the spiky heads, and seconds after you get in about a 100 imps spawn. Containers everywhere and theres a haste rune. It's after you get back from hell

I had just tried again yesterday after something like a 3 month break from the game, so it's pretty much on me being rusty, as UV is unforgiving to a nub like me

Upgrades..uh, I invested in the assault rifle scope which was a mistake, I can't remember much of the others.
>>
>>376697985
there is no situation in the whole campaign (besides having to use the MG to shoot lost souls once or twice) that has you "use the right tool for the job" so to speak
all the weapons aside the pistol, gauss and special weapons are kind of lumped into one tier of damage and function
>>
>>376698183
>Investing in the rifle scope

Eyep, that was a mistake.

Sounds like Argent Facility (Destroyed) and one of the arenas near the end.

Basically what you want to do is save that haste rune. More enemies will spawn in after you deal with the Hell Razers and Imps (Mancubi and Pinkies being the main ones).
If this is the point where you have the Chain Gun, use it to kill off the imps quickly. Track them while you are moving, Imps are fuckheads. Shotgun the Hell Razers. When Pinkies and Mancubi start spawning, get the rocket launcher onto the Mancubi while getting the haste. Without it, Pinkies become a nightmare. Then, whip out the super shotty and circle strafe around the pinkies. They are fast, but with haste you should be able to dodge them easily.
>>
>>376695563
because it takes place in small rooms with like 6 enemies at most on screen
>>
>>376698553
Perpetuating the "12 things on screen" is true... for SnapMap.

Many of the arenas near the end of the game (Necropolis, Argent D'nur) have at least 24 enemies at a single time.

My guess for the limit with Snapmap is due to the custom pathfinding and AI conditions you can apply to enemies.
>>
>>376697985
>Each weapon does have it's own role though.
shotgun and plasma rifle are flat out useless compared to SSG and Gauss Rifle
game needed two less weapons
and no shitty upgraded system
>>
>>376698689
Wasting 2 shotgun rounds on an imp when the regular shotgun only expels one to do the job is not a good thing.

I would agree more if there aren't enemies that could be instagibbed by 1 shotgun round.
>>
>>376695563
>Shoot some generic aliens in level
>Move to another level
>Repeat

Wow what a cool game!
>>
>>376698809
>Wasting 2 shotgun rounds
you know this game completely fucking showers you with ammo right?
>>
>>376698909
Ultra nightmare is a bitch.
>>
>>376698894
Ikr? You do simple things like these and it's so fucking fun
>>
>>376698938
it's literally the same except you have really low health
>>
>>376697985
Gauss Rifle + Siege Mode + Rich Get Richer can easily carry you through the entire game if you're good at avoiding damage
>>
I feel it's because Doom on consoles aimed to have 60 FPS meaning that it had to be built up to be well optimized as fuck compared to a lot of other shooters that aim for 30 FPS, runs like shit and subsequently ported like shit to PC
>>
>>376699039
No.

Enemies have more health
They move around more
And they have extra damage.

The more health part means you are pumping more ammo into the meaty enemies.
>>
NOT
ONE
MONSTER CLOSET
The guns are fun but Jesus fucking Christ were they stingy with monsters for me to kill.
>>
>>376699172
i've played the game through on ultra-violence and nightmare and didn't notice a difference, and I never ran out of ammo for anything due to the pickups everywhere and the chainsaw, didnt even get the ammo perks either
>>
>>376699349
Yeah, that is kinda tied up to the whole "has to preform well even on really subpar hardware without sacrificing immediate feeling of graphical fidelity" thing.
>>
>>376698376
Yeah I died to the pinkies more than a few times, they just creep up on me everytime I'm trying to clear the weaker mobs

The scope is great when its just a couple trash enemies because you can focus and pick them off. But any point later in the game it doesn't fit with what you need to do to survive, run and gun

Thanks anon, I'm sure it'll get better after this room, but being rusty and jumping into this arena killed my motivation to play it through.

How much more of the game is left?
>>
>>376695715
Watch some of Carmack's presentations from 2-3 years before RAGE was released.

RAGE was designed with the thought in mind that GPUs in ~2010 would have 2-4GiB vram - not still ~512MiB.
That's why it's constantly popping in and out details.

Thanks last gen consoles!
>>
>tfw you're one of the only people that enjoyed Rage
Pop Rockets were based enough to live on in Doom's first shotgun upgrade
>>
>>376699482
You've got:

Rest of Argent Facility (Destroyed)
Science place I can't remember the name of
Necropolis
I am VEGA
Argent D'nur

Necropolis is broken into two parts though.
>>
>>376699493
I enjoyed it for what it was, it looked and played better than doom and I liked the racing segments aswell
the story and setting were just so absolutely uninspired that it's not going to sell for the AAA game console kiddies who play games for their story
>>
>>376695563
I had to upgrade from my gtx 670 to play DOOM on decent settings.
So I wouldn't say it runs on toasters.
>>
Somebody got this to run on a Surface Pro 2 apparently but the thing just crashes when I try starting it on my Surface Pro 4.

just what the fuck
>>
>>376699649
It runs fucking great on my HD7950
this card is some voodoo magic.
>>
All things considered it didn't look half bad either but it still ran somewhat like shit. But still on a fucking tablet it's an achievement.

If anyone knows anything I'd really like to accomplish this.
>>
File: 1372000689122.jpg (25KB, 500x634px) Image search: [Google]
1372000689122.jpg
25KB, 500x634px
>>376700047
>Laptop Gaming
>>
File: 1488175276640.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1488175276640.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>376696302

> I'm surprised it ran well on the 2nd best GPS on the market
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.