[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was having so much fun with this game, when suddenly it turned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
243KB, 1920x1080px
Was having so much fun with this game, when suddenly it turned into Backtrack: the game from the island chapter onward, especially that part where you have to revisit every zone in the game to find the cannon guy.

I don´t mind backtracking if its done well, but in this case, it´s so bad executed.

What other games you like but do you think are ruined by backtracking
>>
please respond
>>
>>376694249
I wouldn't say it ruins the experience for me, backtracking is something I've somewhat gotten used to, and its in a lot of games that people hold high regard to. TTYD is no exception for sure. I don't remember exactly what was on the island but Chapter 4 and Chapter 7( with General White) are the worst cases of backtracking that I remember.
>>
>>376694249
Yeah it got a bit tedious at some point but still enjoyed it through the end. Loved the bosses and music. Was it like this in the first paper mario?
>>
File: 1482636541584.jpg (61KB, 400x403px) Image search: [Google]
1482636541584.jpg
61KB, 400x403px
>>376694249
OP, you are a complete baitch. Explain to me a game that has backtracking but is not ruined by it, then elaborate on how that differs from Paper Mario 2.
>>
>>376694249
>>376695590 here

The ridable yoshi helped a lot though
>>
>>376695410
>I don't remember exactly what was on the island
You gotta go get Bobbery by reaching the end of the island area, then get him the Chuckola Cola by heading to the start but to get that you need the Coconut which you may not have so you have to go back to the middle of the whole area (the bridge area) to get it and then go back to the beginning, then you get Bobbery and have to head back to the beginning again to get Flavio and then you're finally done and go in the Pirate's Grotto.

>>376695590
>Was it like this in the first paper mario?
Not really, with the exception of Chapter 6's Flower Fields it was pretty good about backtracking and any you were doing was pretty brief and the little spinning move that makes you faster helped even more.

>>376695701
Too bad you lose him during Chapter 4 making it relatively slow, even with the Tube curse.
>>
>>376696125
B-but I loved chapter 4. It was a cool twist even though I had to run back and forth to the castle. You're right though, shadow mario should have something to move faster. Vivian helped to avoid a lot of encounters still.
>>
File: IMG_0295.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0295.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Would you guys like to see another game with the classic Paper Mario formula but as a new IP? No Mario involved.
>>
File: wahoo.jpg (192KB, 600x532px) Image search: [Google]
wahoo.jpg
192KB, 600x532px
>>
>>376696729
Actually I'm surprised there's not any clones. I love the turn based, though simple combat and the writing.
>>
>>376696125
Sounds pretty backtracky, but I need to play through it again.
>>376696729
A simple, cohesive RPG in the gameplay style of Paper Mario would be lovely.
>>
File: 31930458_p9.jpg (116KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
31930458_p9.jpg
116KB, 500x800px
>>376696571
I love Chapter 4 also, I'm just mentioning it due to the backtracking. Honestly it'd probably be the best chapter in the series to me if it had more to it since it's already dope enough as it is:
>Spooky area with nice design, atmosphere and music
>Curse turning people into pigs
>Optional Atomic Boo fight
>Doopliss in general
>Doopliss stealing your identity & partners
>You teaming up with someone who was originally a bad guy

If it didn't have backtracking and so much was new was happening 90% of the time I'd suck that chapter's dick so much more than I already am.

>>376696729
I think part of the charm of the Paper Mario series is it being Mario to begin with since you see what are usually enemies as NPCs and partners but yeah, sure, I'm desperate after playing >>376696749 so I'd be fine with it. I found the gameplay & style it had going to be fun to begin with.
>>
>>376696571

The best parts of Chapter 4 were good despite the backtracking. On replays it's kinda dull because you already know what's happening and its abundently apparent you're just going back and forth as filler to boost the length of what is one of the smallest chapters in the series.

They might have been better off axing a few crap chapters(e.g. chapter 2 and 7) and making what the good ones bigger and better. Like Twilight Town could have been larger and have 2 Crystal Stars.
>>
>>376696832
South park tried it
>>
>>376695641
any game that makes you go to the same zone but with a good excuse: new powers so you can try them on a zone that was hard before, the zone has changed...
and also it need to be faster than the first time you were there (unlocking shortcuts after you beat the zone the first time, new powers to delete your enemies faster than before...)

Examples of good backtracking: most of metroids
>>
What i didn't like about TTYD is that everytime you went to a place, you used a pipe or some kind of vehicle. You never walked to any of these area's anymore, which made it feel less of an adventure, to me. Paper Mario 64 didn't have that as much. Still, they're both great.
>>
>>376698586
I had the same problem with M&L Partners in Time compared to Superstar Saga.
In the first game the entire world felt more connected and the the second game you basically have a hub world with a bunch of portals.
I don't like hub worlds as much.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.