[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of Nuclear Throne's hard mode? What is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

File: .png (275KB, 700x620px)
.png
275KB, 700x620px
What do you think of Nuclear Throne's hard mode?

What is your best score and which character is best?
>>
too hard-core for 4Chan's infamous /v/, huh?
>>
nuclear throne is a fucking garbage meme game
>>
>>376685082
What's a meme game?
>>
File: Crystal.png (199KB, 1310x2474px)
Crystal.png
199KB, 1310x2474px
>>
>Make kickass game
>Give it negative post launch support
>>
File: 1389909788465.png (4KB, 255x119px)
1389909788465.png
4KB, 255x119px
>>376687040
>anyone but fish
casuals
>>
File: Fish.png (187KB, 821x2512px)
Fish.png
187KB, 821x2512px
>>376687102
What would you add?
>>
>>376687407
Bug fixes for one
60 FPS
>>
>>376687407
Post Y.V.
>>
File: YV.png (281KB, 644x2384px)
YV.png
281KB, 644x2384px
>>376687239
Why fish and not Steroids?
>>
>>376687239

Rebel/Rogue is the master race
>>
File: ntcuz.png (71KB, 1920x1080px)
ntcuz.png
71KB, 1920x1080px
>>376687239
>>376688532
there is only one character that truly matters
>>
>>376688795
b bb b b b b

>>376688532
Rogue sux but if her portal strike was on a cooldown I'd play her in a heartbeat
>>
File: Rebel.png (401KB, 719x710px)
Rebel.png
401KB, 719x710px
I love playing Rebel most of the time, releasing small armies after looping feel great, plant is fun too.

>>376688532
Rogue absolutely sucks, bot her active and passive are shit, hers is the only B skin I'm missing and I don't think I'll ever get it.
>>
>>376683427
I'm ~80 hours in on this game, but the severe lack of telegraphing on enemy attacks is really bothering me.
It's impossible to tell when most enemies are about to attack you, so if you're using a shotgun and getting mildly close you'll get btfo fairly often.
For some reason vlambeer thought it'd be ok to give crocs, assassins and crystals telegraphs, but not anything else. Sometimes enemies will just insta-fire in a completely random direction, too.
The extremely poor telegraphing really hampers the experience, but I can't stop playing because trigger fingers fish guitar is fun as shit,
>>
>>376689968
I don't like how there's no way of knowing what enemies deal contact damage and which ones don't other than memorization. Makes gamma guts feel random.
>>
File: 1494369062775.jpg (247KB, 850x479px)
1494369062775.jpg
247KB, 850x479px
>when you finally catch Lil Hunter
>>
>>376690594
Yeah, sometimes I'll even take gamma guts and kill contact damage units without taking any damage, but other random times they'll do damage before gamma guts activates on them.
It's like the rules of how enemies and mechanics work are extremely bad, but the feel of the game, characters etc. are really good. It's a very hot and cold game. I'm not sure that I think a lot of the difficulty people meme about is legitimate. It seems like if the mechanics, telegraphing etc. was conveyed properly, the game would become 5x easier.
>>
>They'll never touch the game again
>but I wonder what they're up to
>They probably have a twitter--
>Already following
>oh
Well, Risk of Rain 2 is a thing and that game's much worse than NT, so NT2 might be a future possibility
>RoR sold over 1 million more copies t. Steamspy
>oh
>>
>>376683427
Hard mode?
>>
>>376691868
Nuclear Throne would be lucky to be considered top 5 of the genre, calm the hell down.
With no post release support most that would try the game let alone play it have. Not much left to talk about. Chill ya balls mate
>>
>>376691993
You unlock it by getting to Loop 2. Hard mode is like you start the game on Loop 1 but you gain levels much slower and there aren't any vans. You get Loop 1 boss spawns including fighting Mom in 2-1 with dinky weapons. It's sort of not possible, I don't know.
>>
>>376692161
Thanks anon
>>
>>376690948
>He spawns on top of you
>you don't have a melee weapon to swat away the flames
>you're not playing Fish or Plant to outrun his touchdown

This happens more often than I'd like to admit
>>
File: Car_wip5.png (373KB, 626x626px)
Car_wip5.png
373KB, 626x626px
>>376689968
>>376690594
Adding to that the fact that crystals can shoot you from outside your sight radius, but don't have a scope like the snipers for you to know where they're shooting from.
Yetis store their built up speed/momentum when sliding straight into walls, so it'll look like they're slowly sliding, but if they roll off a corner they'll instantly catapult into you at 90000mph. This is because they slide randomly without aggro and ignore pathfinding.
If you spawn without a closed off area to fight lil hunter in you're basically fucked.
A cross pattern of scorpions in the wastes is guaranteed damage.
Your base movement speed is too slow to reliably use a 1 tile block as cover. Lightly tapping wasd sends you too far because the game has slight deceleration after movement. Makes the increased movement speed mutation a nightmare.

Again, so many aspects of the game's mechanics are fucking horrible, but the shooting+gameplay feels good and carries it.
>>
>>376692337
>base movement speed is too slow
I meant too fast*, but really it's mostly the deceleration causing it.
>>
>>376692076
>Nuclear Throne would be lucky to be considered top 5 of the genre, calm the hell down.

To me it's the best roguelite top down shooter by quite a margin. Isaac feels like a joke ez modo game for babbies after NT
>>
>>376692509
Isaac's problem is that the game throws such an emphasis on understanding the items (because they most dictate how combat effective you are), so when you learn how it all works and you follow a mental flowchart of How to Stack Your Dude Properly the game gets super boring. Nuclear Throne is all about the core mechanics and you can be combat effective even with the worst mutation options, and that's why it feels so much better. There's little in the way of power gaps.
Spelunky and Nuclear Throne are the best the subsubgenre's got. They are alone in their own tier of quality.
>>
>>376692838

NT's randomization is fucking next level. I have hundreds of hours and I'm still getting level layouts and enemy placements that create novel and interesting gameplay situations. Sometimes they're so unexpected they result in early wipes for me

The randomization of the stages in Isaac is pathetic. You start seeing repeated shit ASAP
>>
>>376683427
Is update 99 out yet ?
>>
>>376692983
I don't think Isaac's room-based random floor gen is bad at all.
>>
File: 1451937318856s.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1451937318856s.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>376692983
I couldn't disagree with this more. NT's randomization uses a lazy digger method, with very few preset 'chunks' like the H room in the snow city. "unexpected resulting in early wipes" sounds like code for bad randomization and layouts with absolutely no design, I've had tons of starts where I couldn't see any realistic way to avoid damage. Isaac's preset rooms aren't perfect, but Spelunky is a perfect merging of NT and Isaac, in that the room chunks are pre-designed so they usually aren't horse shit rng, but are placed together so they aren't isolated like Isaac's.

A lot of what people are saying makes NT more difficult than Isaac is actually because Isaac is better designed in the realm of enemy mechanics and room design being intertwined. It's easier to learn the ropes (and master) Isaac because of this, assuming you play it enough. NT's enemy mechanics are conveyed much worse though, and floor layouts have little to do with the enemies themselves (excluding the labs) because of the overly-random diggers being used to generate them. This makes NT harder to master, because enemies aren't as well conveyed and lack consistency. It's not what I'd call a good kind of difficulty.

I really hope if they ever do a sequel, they use Spelunky's chunk/room combination method instead of a digger one. Or a mixture.
>>
>>376693256
Yes! It just came out! We're all celebrating. The champagne and deviled eggs are nearly gone, but there's still plenty of battered courgettes... it is a happy time. They buffed your favorite character and made Shotgun Shoulders viable!
>>
>>376691868
>RoR is worse than NT
Wew
>>
>>376696108
It is
There's no knockback or stun or any kind of feedback for when you take damage, making death and feel super random. It feels very unnatural and unsatisfying to escape a hoard. Take the rope for example, it never sways at all and when you're on it you cannot be moved by anything other than yourself. This makes the design for the bosses very divorced from the action and the movement as they can never give you knockback or impact your position. They just subtract from the number that is your health and it's so cold.
Other: there's not even an animation for falling from a big height or any residual momentum when you stop moving. This makes things feel greasy and slippery and wimpy. And the random gen is so minor it's bizarre it was even included
>>
>>376697006
Knockback/stun is terrible with that many enemies, it would be so easy to get stunlocked. It's also extremely easy to pinpoint how you died, death isn't random at all.
>no momentum feels more slippery
???
>>
>>376697006
Aquire skill.
>>
>>376697246
Wrong word, the take-away is that Super Mario Bros, a game from the 80s, has more nuance to its movement than Risk of Rain. There's no excuse. And there's no excuse for the player character having no reaction to enemies giving damage. Are they hitting the PC or slapping them with pool noodles? No, you can actually feel pool noodles, they even make nice and audible slapping noises. The game just has bad feedback when it comes to taking damage, but decent feedback when dealing it. Just a little screenshake would improve the game.

>>376697284
epin counter-argument x)
>>
>>376698156
It's a precision platformer, momentum and screen shakes can fuck you over really easily.
>>
Anyone else like to do Steroids Dual Melee runs? Is quite fun. :3
>>
>>376698258
Screenshake when you take damage, barely shaking for minor hits. "but that would--" taking damage should give a penalty, genius!
>Momentum can fuck you over really easily
Well that's why Miyamoto and Tezuka designed the game with momentum pretty early on, huh? Do you think I'd just slap shit over the final build of the game? These are fundamental problems that would demand reworking stuff.

>>376698580
That sounds fun, is it viable at all?
>>
>>376698740
>Nintendo does it so it's good!
>>
>>376698740
Dunno about viable, I'm pretty trash at Nuclear Throne, have only gotten to the throne once, but it is a lot of fun imo.
>>
>>376698740
The game crashes enough without screen shaking.
>>
>>376697006
>there's not even an animation for falling from a big height or any residual momentum when you stop moving.

Meanwhile NT has fuck all for animation to the point where it's actually detrimental to being able to tell what enemies are actually doing/going to do. NT's lack of animation actually negatively affects gameplay.
>>
>>376698740
Mario and RoR are entirely different types of platformer, I'm not sure why you keep comparing them. I don't even know why you brought it up in a NT thread to begin with. RoR is the best game of it's specific genre, it's very likely that you just don't like that genre.
>>
>>376698796
Well, that's not always the case. Nintendo has published its share of bad games. They're not anywhere close to perfect, you know.
>>
>>376699312
Do you know how how greentext works?
>>
nuclear throne is decent but it has to be the most overrated game on /v/
the weapon variety sucks, the level design sucks, the mutation pool is small and the gameplay is designed in a way that until you "git gud" you'll be playing the first/second/third etc levels over and over again just to have a chance at the later levels because a single mistake will kill you (which i think is bad design)
the only great things about the game are the character designs and the music
>>
>>376699382
It's used for quoting. Who are you quoting?
>>
>>376699721
You keep saying that it should be like Mario, implying that Mario is good (which it is) or similar enough to RoR or NT to compare (which it is not)
>>
>>376699993
I see.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.