[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished the first Baldur's Gate and getting started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10

Just finished the first Baldur's Gate and getting started on the second. Are there any useful things to know going in.

My team in the first one was my NG Kensai MC, Viconia, Coran, Edwin, Minsc, and Imoen and from what I understand all but Coran come back in the next game. Will there be any conflicts in bringing them back together; I had to put down Ajantis for trying to kill Viconia early on in the BG1 and I assume that kinda thing occurs in the BG2 as well.
>>
don't put minsc next to viconia.
get jan jansen extrordanaire, he's the most entertaining npc. Imoen sucks in this one you should probably drop her asap.
>>
You'll get to kill Ajantis again
>>
>>376675078
>Kensai MC

Yeah, stop cheating.
>>
>>376675823
Single class kensai isn't as good as single class berserker anyway.

>>376675078
There are party conflicts, though you'll usually get a fairly obvious warning. Some of them literally say "if [other character] is still in the party tomorrow, I'll kill them."
>>
>>376675448
I thought Minsc actually liked Viconia fairly well, thanks for telling me that.
>>376675604
I'll probably change my alignment to CN to fit how I played my first game due to being a prolific thief and killing paladins, as well as hanging around evil characters since they had better bants, at least in the first game.
>>376675823
I plan on making a Kensai/thief for kai backstabs because it seemed fun.
>>
>>376675078
As general hints;

Buy a casting licence as soon as possible, Athkatlan wizards'll harass you if you don't if you cast anything within the city. Sometimes you'll get away with it, but not always. I forget how much it is though (5,000g springs to mind). You can in theory weather the attacks and I believe they'll eventually leave you alone, but still.

Feel free to do any and all side missions before dealing with the faction that'll start talking with you about amassing some coin. It's a primary mission and once you complete them to a certain point, there's a fair while where you'll be locked out of doing anything else for a while. In fact, you'll want to do these things to get your resources up as soon as possible regardless, so you'll be better at dealing with later game threats.
>>
>>376676040
>>376676079

Aww fuck, I thought OP had abbreviated mutliclass to MC. Nevermind.

Grab the Flail of Ages. It'll last you the rest of the game all the way through Throne of Bhaal.
>>
>>376676040
That's good to know they give you a warning.
>>376676164
Thanks for that, I typically did all the sidequests as soon as I could in BG1 so that works out well.
>>376676286
What makes that weapon good, is it like the Varscona where it is an early +x weapon that stays good throughout?
>>
Edwin and Minsc will try to kill each other in 2.
>>
>>376676856
Starts as a +3 weapon, eventually upgraded to +5, deals several kinds of elemental damage that bypasses stoneskin and kills trolls, and has a chance to slow enemies with no chance to save.

Do the first two levels of Watcher's Keep as soon as you get a full party or a bag of holding. Not that hard to do and has great items, including infinite arrows/bolts.
>>
>>376677154
>>376676856
It's particularly useful because it does elemental damage and Slows people. Elemental damage hits through Stoneskin, which you'll be seeing a lot of when dealing with mages. But it's not a good choice for your main character if you're going to dual class into thief, since you can't backstab with it.
>>
>>376677873
Oops, basically restated why it's useful from >>376677154 without reading it properly.
>>
>>376677090
I might drop Minsc since it seems he wants to kill all the evil characters in my party.
>>376677154
>>376677873
That does seem pretty good, I will probably hand it over to Viconia or one of the new party members I will get.
>>
>>376678121
I've never seen Minsc get into a fight with anyone besides Edwin, and a quick google doesn't show anything else up. Though Edwin is the more useful of the two anyway, so even if it's only between those two Minsc is probably better off getting benched.
>>
>>376675448
Minsc is fine with Vircona
He isn't fine with Edwin though
>>
Grab Korgan instead of Minsc. He's better anyway.

Don't fall for the Crom Faeyr. It looks amazing on paper, but the resources used to make it are better off elsewhere.
>>
>>376679024
what do you mean lol

crom faeyr is definitely worth it, the 25 str gives you a massive damage boost
>>
Edwin and Viconia are the best in their class in 2. Keldorn will kill Viconia though and his class is great too.
>>
>>376679195
Not worth giving up the girdle and gauntlets used, especially if someone is using Viconia.
>>
Edwin doesn't mix with Minsc
Viconia doesn't mix with Keldorn (and Valygar in a specific instance)
Korgan doesn't mix with Aerie

I think thats all the NPC conflicts
>>
>>376675078
>Kensai
yeah you actually play the game right by roleplaying as a character rather than trying to powergame in a fucking CRPG where the gameplay is ass anyway
>>
>>376679594
>CRPG
these are made for powergaming
>>
>>376679024
But Korgan with Frostreaver in his main hand and CF in his off hand is amazing.

The hammer of thunderbolts is a pretty average weapon on it's own and there's enough strength boosting gear elsewhere that losing 2 in favor of one much better one isn't a bad trade.
>>
>>376679594
Kensai/Thief isn't a meme build on top of dual classing being bad in general. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>376675078
Don't trust Asians.
>>
>>376679714
>make a character with great strength have even greater strength
>make two characters with mediocre or awful strength have great strength

The choice is obvious. The difference between 10 strength and 18 strength is fucking massive while going from 21 to 25 isn't that big of a deal.

>there's enough strength boosting gear elsewhere

So late game it doesn't matter, and the Gauntlets of Ogre Power are required on Viconia.
>>
>>376678751
>>376678619
Okay so I guess that one anon was making stuff up.
>>376679569
Thanks for this, this will help on deciding my new party members when I meet them.
>>376679594
I find it fun gameplay wise and the main things I like so far about the games is the plot and character interactions, sacrificing a bit of roleplaying is fine as that doesn't impede the parts I enjoy.
>>
File: Yoshimo.jpg (18KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
Yoshimo.jpg
18KB, 210x330px
>>376679913
>Sou desu ne?
>>
>>376679569
I believe Anomen can come into conflict with a couple of characters if you choose a certain path during his personal quest.
>>
>>376679569
Anomen will come to blows with Keldorn if you bungle his knighthood quest.
>>
>>376675823
yeah stop cheating with the shittiest class in the game lmao
>>
Is the first baldurs gate good?

I have given shadows of amn few attempts put kinda puts me off that I start in middle of a story already

Maybe I should start with 1?
>>
>>376679569
Haer'Dalis will fight your main character over Aerie if you romance her with you in the party
>>
>>376680270
The first game is more open and you explore a lot more. The second game is really really streamlined.
>>
>>376680270
I didn't really like BG1 compared to BG2. It barely has any plot that carries over and practically zero character interactions. Doesn't help that the stuff that matters is introduced an hour before the end.
>>
>>376680270
It's different, mainly because you start out as a 1st level bitch. Everything you meet has the ability to tear you apart at those low levels.

The story is fairly straightforward, but you are allowed to wander off the path wherever you want.
>>
>>376680270
OP here, I thought the game was pretty decent, the main things I noticed were the fact that ranged weapons have a massive advantage early on making some builds harder to get going I almost changed classes as a kensai until I found out I could use throwing daggers still despite the range limitations and that the game is pretty open with lots of side things to do in each area while having your party members commentate on your actions.

The main story is interesting enough with the latter parts being a lot more interesting and personally involving and sets up for the sequel with the characters heritage and all.
>>
>>376680270
It kinda fucking sucks honestly but I don't think I would have enjoyed BG2 as much if I had not played BG1 first.
>>
>>376680056
>21 to 25
???
He has 18/77 and unlike Vircona, he actually has a use for that strength. Vircona should be hiding at the back casting spells not beating things to death.

Using CF gives Korgan an extra +5 to hit and +10 to damage. Giving Vircona the gauntlets gives her an extra +3 to hit and +6 to damage which as I said earlier, she doesn't need anyway.

Just buy her the girdle of hill giant strength from Adventurer's mart or maulers arm from the copper coronet and she'll have more than enough to wear decent armor and carry some gear while being able to use Korgan to his full potential.
>>
>>376679298
Viconia isn't necessarily the best. Also Anomen is a bitch, that dip into fighter makes him much better at frontlining.
>>
File: (╹ᴗ╹ ).jpg (30KB, 405x358px) Image search: [Google]
(╹ᴗ╹ ).jpg
30KB, 405x358px
>>376675078
Don't fug imoen.
>>
>>376681281
don't listen to this guy install the Imoen romance mod
>>
>>376681218
yeah, I just hate Anomen
>>
File: 1416738065760.jpg (108KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1416738065760.jpg
108KB, 640x1136px
>>376681281
>not using the Imoen Romance mod and having a threesome with her and Aerie
>>
>>376681380
wait can you actually do that?
>>
>>376681380
>>376681328
>>376681281
why does this topic always derail these threads
>>
File: 1391999218790.jpg (168KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1391999218790.jpg
168KB, 1280x720px
Convince me to play through Throne of Bhaal. I played it for like an hour then never touched it again.
>>
>>376681539
Install the Ascension mod and maybe the Irenicus redemption mod if you like villain redemptions and it suddenly becomes 10 times better.
>>
>>376681102
If you want to increase Korgan's strength, you can just give him the Girdle of Frost Giants instead of making the Crom. 21 to 25 only adds +5 to THAC0 and damage, which is negligible.

Meanwhile there's a grand total of three party members that start with strength higher than 18. Literally everyone else will benefit from the stuff used to make the Crom.

Using any belt other than the Girdle of Fortitude on Viconia is stupid. That's why the gauntlets are reserved for her. Having your cleric gain 10 fucking points of constitution is a lot better than giving a guy with already fantastic strength more strength.
>>
>>376681436
Yep, if you have Aerie and Imoen in your party there is an event chain in ToB that ends in a threesome where Aerie basically becomes your consort due to Imoen not wanting to have children herself.
>>
>>376681650
The improvement in combat prowess from 21 to 25 is not much different from 10 to 18/00 and only Korgan is really going to have much use for those bonuses anyway.

What about giving Vircona the maulers arm?
Flat 18 strength is more than enough for a pure cleric when she's spending most of her time casting spells.
>>
>>376682538
Once you get the Girdle of Fire Giant Strength Korgan can reach 24 strength while berserk. Giving up multiple strength increasing items for a whopping +2 damage is just silly.
>>
>>376681458
The mod is surprisingly well done, and adds fun interaction with all the characters and not just Imoen.
>>
>>376682173
>Imoen not wanting to have children herself.

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>376683282
There is the incest thing and having a child who will have to deal with a heavy dose of Bhaal taint which isn't very pleasant, also the both of you are high level DnD characters and probably effectively immortal due to her being a high level wizard by that time, which makes child rearing much less of a concern.
>>
>>376683557
>probably effectively immortal due to her being a high level wizard by that time

Nah all it takes is a little bit of poison or some random assassins to take her down.
>>
File: Imoen figures it out.jpg (464KB, 1169x1162px) Image search: [Google]
Imoen figures it out.jpg
464KB, 1169x1162px
>>376683557
What's the point of marrying your sister if you're not going to have a happy family together?
>>
>>376683027
>Once you get the Girdle of Fire Giant Strength Korgan can reach 24 strength while berserk.
Wrong. Only Minsc's special berserk skill does that. Korgan gains +2 damage and -2 AC and THAC0 from his.
>multiple strength increasing items
That you don't need anyway.
Once you get the Girdle of Fire Giant Strength you'll have enough strength boosting gear for everyone that needs it regardless of if you decided to make a powerful weapon out of two of them.
>>
File: aneito imouto.png (47KB, 209x298px) Image search: [Google]
aneito imouto.png
47KB, 209x298px
>>376683803
>>
>>376683803
source
>>
Fuck you, I already finished the BG trilogy in February. I wasn't planning on replaying it so soon, but here we go again.
>>
>>376684192
You absolutely need the gauntlets for Viconia and the girdle is the second best in the game.

This topic has been discussed to death over the years, and everyone agrees that Crom is excessively wasteful.
>>
>>376684598
From what I've seen it's been discussed to death with two conflicting camps refusing to give any ground to the other. Much like us two in this thread.

It's worth is a little dependent on your party, sure (for example I've heard it's great on Anomen dual wielding it with FOA which would also mean no Vicona to take the gauntlets) but I still think trading the second best girdle and some gloves that are going to be superseded by other gear later on almost everyone you might give them to (besides Vircona, yes) for the best strength boosting item in the game is a solid trade.
>>
>>376679464
just give Viconia crom fayer lmao
>>
>>376680280
Haer'Dalis gets his stupid ass killed and his shit sold every time I reach him, regardless of insect elf's status.
>>
>>376685574
I unironically do this via shadowkeeper.
>>
>>376675078
How did you finish it? I started a new game recently and put in 20+ hours doing every side quest and exploring everything south of the friendly arm inn. I just got in to baldurs gate for the first time, explored some sewers, found the thieves guild but now I have no drive to boot it up again.
>>
>>376675078
>Playing with a kit
Try playing the actual game, instead of what essentially amounts to a modded custom map.
>>
>>376686397
I thought of it like NWN where in the original campaign is generic and sometimes dull but the expansions are very good or in this case the second game, which makes up for the initial slog.

That being said I understand what you are talking about with the city, if you aren't enjoying it too much but are level 7 or so I would just finish up with the main story as most of the missions in the city are not too exceptional.
>>
>>376686397

Nowadays, if I decide to start playing from BG1, I just do a solo run. It's faster, and you don't become as ridiculously overpowered as you would in a BG2 solo run.
>>
>>376686719
Ok I'll just do that then. BG2 is the one I want to really play anyways but I promised myself to fully finish bg1 first.

Fucking kek'd when I found Peter Northwood inside that that hollowed out wood in the cloakwood.
>>
I've tried to play Baldur's Gate maybe four times, Neverwinter Nights a few times too. I just can't get over the combat. The semi-turn based garbage just feels like my characters are stuck in place refusing to do anything.
I think I'd like them if I could get past this. Can someone help me stop being such a faggot?
>>
>>376687158
It's just something you have to get used to. I hated real time with pause but learned to begrudgingly deal with it. In BG1 you can pretty much ignore it since the game almost plays itself (hint: use bows).

Maybe start with KOTOR2 and Dragon Age Origins.
>>
>>376687352
>game almost plays itself
>regularly come across encounters far stronger than you

Hell, the first 20 minutes of the game typically involves at least 1, if not 2, wizards who can and will likely 1 shot you.
>>
>>376687352
I've played DA:O. Characters do things pretty much immediately in that. My problem isn't with the pause it's that when I'd tell someone to do something they run over to do it then just sit there waiting for what I assume is there "turn". Makes it so they take a lot of unnecessary damage because they're running away from safety then just standing there getting hit.
>>
>>376687469
They might be "stronger" level wise but nothing beats a party spamming ranged attacks.

What early wizards do you encounter other than "HI FRIEND"? That's a period where even wolves will push your shit in, so it's really not a good judge of the difficulty.
>>
>>376687562
That gets better once characters get more attacks per round. It's also solved by using ranged weapons.

Eventually I realized the combat system itself isn't the problem, but that adapting a purely turn based system into pseudo-real time combat while retaining turn mechanics is fucking retarded.
>>
>>376687619
Silke, and considering the games map design and roads, most players likely encounter either her or the one at the Friendly Arm before having a full party, and quite possibly even weapons to equip a party with ranged attacks, unless you know whats coming. It's not like Xzar or Montarron comes with a sling, just a dagger.
>>
>>376687562
You can actually make them move around in BG while they are waiting for their "turn", this is also why ranged is better until your melee units get their full attacks per round and haste up and going which makes their "turns" occur significantly faster.
>>
>>376687795
She's optional, and like you said, the first 20 minutes of the game are a poor judge of difficulty for any character/build.
>>
>>376687795
It teaches you to not fuck around when wizards are involved, you can also run from him and let the guards kill him, which they allude to when you approach the gates and warn you to not cause trouble or else.
>>
>>376688025
I never said that either encounter was a BAD thing. Just that they clearly demonstrate that, especially early on, the game doesn't come close to playing itself. Late game is far worse, unless your abusing summons.
>>
>>376688171
>abusing summons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pThHLkffE0
>>
>>376688171
Yeah it does. Those are clear outliers. In the early game you don't have many options anyway, so you really can't do anything other than click attack and hope for the best.
>>
>>376688389
I would argue that only the roughly middle section is easy enough to just ranged attack everything to death. The late game is full of spell casters and enemies way too strong to plink down, unless you micro with boots on, and the early game you don't have the tools for.
Hell, even the mines boss is a pain in the ass if all your trying to do is ranged attacks, you really need a good meat wall for the tactic to work out, like animate dead, or a wand of monster summoning.

And because its still the most hilarious thing i have ever personally encountered in a video game, i feel obligated to mention that i have seen Drizzt drop down low enough via weather based lightning to die to the gnolls. Guess he really did need that help. Free stuff!
>>
>>376688620
I went through most of the game on Core doing nothing but shooting arrows at faggots. The only exceptions were the werewolves and Sarevok. Everything else died in a hail of rocks and arrows.
>>
>>376688753
Including or excluding the Tower? Cause that shit is tunnels, and i can't see you surviving it without a lot of saving and planning.
>>
>>376688803
Didn't bother with it since I already hit the level cap and was pretty burnt out by then.
>>
>>376675078
Most bullshit effects have a spell that grants complete protection from them, if you are having difficulty with an encounter, refer to your spellbooks.
>>
>>376688753
>werewolves

Oh fuck, I don't think I've ever been able to battle the werewolf boss without cheesing it one way or the other.
>>
>>376688936
I just sent in Minsc with the anti werewolf charm and anti werewolf sword.
>>
>>376688882
Ah, thats a shame. It was the best designed encounter area in the game, and is extremely fun.
>>
File: Baldr042.png (965KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Baldr042.png
965KB, 1360x768px
>>376688889
That's why you get Keldorn to solo wizards, especially demibitches.
>>
File: 1454230793081.jpg (78KB, 600x411px) Image search: [Google]
1454230793081.jpg
78KB, 600x411px
>>376689139
>traps everywhere, the dungeon
>fun

For anytime after the first, its just a drag to play through.
>>
>>376675078
is BG worth playing or is it boring trash
>>
File: 1467571306386.jpg (30KB, 400x384px) Image search: [Google]
1467571306386.jpg
30KB, 400x384px
>>376679464
Korgan dual-wielding Crom Fayer and Axe of the Unyielding is the most fun melee character in the game.
Also Keldorn with Carsomyr which you can get very early by cheesing Firkraag but the Inquisitor kit makes Carsomyr slightly redundant but it's also great in late game for a thief with the feat that lets them use any item.
>>
Is there any way of playing BG2 EE without all of the faggy shit they added in EE? As in, only the good shit.
>>
>>376691961

Depends on what you mean with faggy shit. You can download 1.3 as a beta patch, so you don't need to use the new UI, and all the graphical bullshit can be disabled through the options screen.

As for the new companions, you can just ignore them. I know I do.
>>
>>376675078
The first 10 hours it can be difficult to find appropriately levelled quests/areas unless youre powergaming or have played it before. Stick with it, it's a slow burn.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.