[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are video games art? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUT 5SBZkVys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 1224113293982.jpg (842KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1224113293982.jpg
842KB, 1024x768px
are video games art?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUT5SBZkVys
>>
>let's make a video game
>we need a writer
>we need an artist
>we need an animation team
>we need a mocap actor
>we need voice actors
>we need muscicians

Literally the highest form of art because it's the only one that requires almost every other form of art to exist.
>>
>>376658069
No.

Next question.
>>
>>376658508
same things are required to create a movie
>>
>>376658069
Only if other mediums are art
>>
nope, they're toys
>>
Art is shit, who the fuck likes art anyways? my guess is that only tryhard faggots with extremely bad taste like artsy fartsy shit to cover their lack of personality.
>>
are games good?
>>
>>376658764
...yes, and? Are you really going to argue that movies can't be considered art?
>>
https://discordapp.com/invite/flame
>>
Walk around the Museum of Modern Art, look at those masterpieces it holds by Picasso andJackson Pollock, and what you are seeing is a series of personal visions. A work of art is one person's reaction to life. Any definition of art that robs it of this inner response by a human creator is a worthless definition. Art may be made with a paintbrush orselected as a ready-made, but it has to be an act of personal imagination.

The worlds created by electronic games are more like playgrounds where experience is created by the interaction between a player and a programme. The player cannot claim to impose a personal vision of life on the game, while the creator of the game has ceded that responsibility. No one "owns" the game, so there is no artist, and therefore no work of art.

This is the essential difference between games and art, and it precedes the digital age. Chess is a great game, but even the finest chess player in the world isn't an artist. She is a chess player.Artistry may have gone into the design of the chess pieces. But the game of chess itself is not art nor does it generate art – it is just a game.
>>
>>376659013
I have more respect for people who are capable of liking both artistic stuff and entertaining trash. They just like things and that's it. No pretension or anything.
>>
>>376658069
No.
>>
>>376658069
Depends on the game. Is call of Duty art? No I would say not. Are some other games art? Sure, why not. Not every game has to be art nor do they have to be "just something fun."

If you don't consider at least some games "art" the only thing that tells me is that you have never really played video games, or at least, don't know how to appreciate them to their fullest extent.
>>
>>376659313
>She
LEL
>>
File: Forge_World.jpg (260KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Forge_World.jpg
260KB, 1920x1080px
a video game requires many different types of art to be complete. if the game itself isn't art then are the individual efforts sometimes art?
>>
File: 1250899399605.jpg (51KB, 598x797px) Image search: [Google]
1250899399605.jpg
51KB, 598x797px
What is art than if not a dying man creating a dreamworld of his suffering in video game form?

Hyper light drifter is a beautiful thing
>>
>>376659313
>she

opinion discarded.
>>
File: C_J1yExVwAANxqK.jpg (131KB, 1033x672px) Image search: [Google]
C_J1yExVwAANxqK.jpg
131KB, 1033x672px
>>376658069
Yes.
This game is art
http://store.steampowered.com/app/512060/Stay_Stay_Democratic_Peoples_Republic_of_Korea/
>>
They are (some of them).

Dying, old, dry boomers are the demographic who manages what is considered art and what is not for now.

Wait 10-20 years, games sell and become more popular with each passing year. Oscars for vidya in the near future.
>>
>>376659013
>Art is shit, who the fuck likes art anyways?
Philistine: The post.
>>
>>376659313
Saved that shit in my art folder, got any more neat paintings to share?
>>
>>376659313
But most (but not all) video games have a story. If a book that tells a story is art, why not a video game?
>>
@376660523
>Tripfag
Opinion invalidated.
>>
>>376658069
more art than the average modern "art"

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/09/someone-left-a-pineapple-at-an-art-show-and-it-got-mistaken-for-art-6624887/
>>
>>376659313
Was going to seriously respond to this but then googled it and it was copypasta. How could a professional art reviewer write with so many logical fallacies?
>>
art is subjective, so yeah I guess.
>>
>>376658069
my penis is art. Make it complete by letting me stick it up your ass.
>>
If it does everything in it's power to be a shitty video game with great everything else it might be art but it's not a video game.

A video game can only be art and a video game if the mechanics of the game evoke a feeling in people that can't be satisfied by any other medium.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.