[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's discuss ADS in the modern shooter. Why even bother

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: tusC0Sj[1].jpg (179KB, 1922x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tusC0Sj[1].jpg
179KB, 1922x1080px
Let's discuss ADS in the modern shooter. Why even bother with adding iron sights if everyone is just going to attach the best scope to their gun anyway? I see it in battlefield games, I see it in almost every other military shooter. Nobody gives a fuck about your retarded russian PKA-s or whatever it is if everyone can access the METAGAME e-sports reticle. Why bother even fucking modeling and texturing these ironsights if they ultimately serve no purpose for gameplay? What is the purpose of class based games if you can use nearly every fucking gun with every fucking class? I've only played a little bit of Battlefield 2, but the emphasis on certain classes get certain weapons with certain attachments was clear. Each class had a role to play; not "frag the shit out of everyone with whatever overpowered meta class with some 5.56 low recoil easily grouped shots that consolefags can use" shit.
>>
i dunno
>>
Battlefield 1 has distinct classes, not much useless customization and overall more skill based gunplay thsn bf4/3 yet its bashed here constantly.

Its mediocre yeah, but the gunplay and weapons are great
>>
>>376652304
>and overall more skill based gunplay thsn bf4/3
at this point, you can safely bet that 43% of the population on /v/ is just marketeers
>>
>>376652304
DICE's problems still carry over from battlefield into battlefront and battlefield 1. BF1 certainly has fewer variations of weapons, but a lot of them still feel and play the same. I think that's DICE's biggest problem is the focus on "diversity of gameplay customization" that ultimately have little to no effect on gameplay and the betterment of the user experience. Nu-front 2015's biggest issue is probably the fact that you have a metric fuck ton of weapons that all pretty much control the same. The diversity of the games variation is all a facade, and the same goes for battlefield 1, except for BF1 DICE made the same fucking mistake they did with battlefield 3. A gun attachment/reticle now counts as an entirely new fucking weapon, but this time it's for primary firearms instead of pistols. It's a cluster fuck of a desgin and really doesn't add much to the gameplay.
>>
>>376652423
Explain exactly how that statement is wrong though? The microburst assault rifle meta of 3/4 doesnt require much skill at all
>>
>>376651742
because every assault rifle performs identically in battlefield 3/4.
No I dont use any other attachments other then red dots or holosights in bf3/4
>>
>>376653057
Each variation has a purpose though, and only a couple classes have weapons that play similarly.
>>
>>376651742
>Why even bother with adding iron sights if everyone is just going to attach the best scope to their gun anyway?

in BF3 ironsites were the quickest to ADS.
>>
ADS is to slow the game down to a crawl for people who can't aim at a faster speed.

Games should never have been built around this shitty prospect imo.
>>
>>376653271
>because every assault rifle performs identically in battlefield 3/4.
>The Scar-H performs identically to the AEK
Hahaha, yeah no.
>>
>>376651742
in battlefield 4, i always use a dmr with a mid- to long-range scope with the (is it called "vaulted"?) iron sights on the side. love that versatility
>>
>>376653671
>Semi-realistic shooters should have everyone shooting from hips lmao
Note I say semi-realistic here to mean any game that takes a "realistic" setting regardless of whether anything else is fucking retarded.
>>
>>376653828
>vaulted

canted iron sights
>>
>>376653671
>I want every fucking shooter to be an arena brawler with muh rocket jumps and ebin movement
>>
>>376654197
battlefield was more fun when it was like that
>>
>>376653748
>Scar-H
>Aug
>m4a1
>g36c
>famas
>l85
>m416
literally reskins.
>>
File: 1493450863575.jpg (104KB, 1020x575px) Image search: [Google]
1493450863575.jpg
104KB, 1020x575px
>>376653671

has it ever occured to you some people just want to OPERATE OPERATIONALLY?
>>
>>376654197

Yes. Like a video game should be.

Not slow and boring as hell for the most boring people alive.
>>
>>376652304
>BF1
>more skill-based gunplay than BF3/BF4

LOL

Sym-Duck, is that you? You're the only one I know retarded enough to think using weapons at intended ranges and sniper rifle sweet spots require skill. Of course some talentless scrub from Symthic would prefer weapon stat knowledge to mechanical aim. CS-style random weapon spread on every shot lowers the skill ceiling and turns otherwise skillful games into roll-of-the-dice RPGs.

Top-level Quake players can barely break 40-45% accuracy with the lightning gun, why do we further need to gimp high level players by adding random bullshit? Some would argue realism, but can anyone really call BF1 realistic by any stretch? I have a more obvious answer; lowering the skill ceiling sells - you keep casuals happy (the largest percentage of the market by far), you'll be rolling in the dosh.
>>
>>376653671
I have no respect for people who think like this. You're a fucking shallow minded moron because you simply cannot understand what a genre is. People who play arena shooters will play arena shooters. People who play Military shooters will play military shooters. People who play both, like I do, will play both and understand that there are distinct differences in the games designs, how they play, and how is playing them. Go jump off a bridge, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>376654536
Battlefield is a shit OPERATOR game tho.

Especially seeing as how there's no faction specific weapons and the factions don't even always wear similar uniforms. Everyone is a snowflake.
>>
>>376654075
Nobody in real life "fires from the hip". Modern army tactics practice things like reflex fire, which is still fast, but shouldered. Similarly, in real life you can get a sight picture with a magnified sight without closing one eye and getting tunnel vision- it's the entire reason ACOGs are popular.

Videogames based on "realism" basically ignore the entire developments in combat that have occurred since WWII and still treat things like a field manual about walking fire. IRL firefighting has gotten continuously faster over time as soldiers receive lighter and more controllable weapons and are trained in the best known methods for shooting fuckers in every possible context. Basic rifle training in the worst armies around involves more than one shooting technique for close range fire.

Meanwhile in vidya, if you can move more faster than a wheezy fat kid, you're moving too fast to shoot.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.