[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /v/, help me get into fighting games. I've never played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

Hey /v/, help me get into fighting games.

I've never played a fighting game for real before (with the exception of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja series), only casually at a friend's house. But i've decided to change that (or at least try to).

Right now i'm playing the demo version of Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator 2. I'm currently enjoying playing Millia a lot, really digging the gameplay and design. But i have a few questions:

- How much time will i take to really be good? So far i try to do combos but i just end up mashing buttons.

- Do i need an arcade controller to play well?

- How the fuck do you do a Roman Cancel in a PS4 controller during a combo? Is it even Possible?

Guilty Gear thread, i guess.
>>
>>376646584
http://pastebin.com/pYdwfntu
>>
File: 1493414236868.jpg (332KB, 843x1200px)
1493414236868.jpg
332KB, 843x1200px
NO ROBO-KY

NO BUY
>>
-It takes hundreds of hours to get decent but it depends on how you go about learning new stuff and what you consider to be "good"

-No, but it helps with some characters like Zato

-Just bind the RC macro to L1 or some shit

Millia is kind of a hard character for a beginner, especially in Rev2 where she doesn't have braindead combos from every starter. Keep playing her if you like her though
>>
>>376648128
Well fuck. I didn't see that there was a button for it, the tutorial said nothing about it. Thanks a lot.

I'll try to play some different characters, maybe there's someone that i'll like even more. What's the best character for beginners? Sol i presume?
>>
>>376648629
Sol, Ky, Faust are all simple characters at a base level
>>
>>376648629
Ky, Raven, Sin, Faust, Sol are the guys I usually recommend, maybe Leo.
It's important to like your character though so if you don't like any of the simpler chars keep on playing whoever.
Also, I got to try out Baiken recently (don't have a PS4 so gotta wait a few more weeks) and holy fuck her parry is hard to use
>>
>>376646584
-how much time will I take to really be good
Depends on your character choice. With Millia it's probably going to take a while to get the instant air dash combos and her new setups down, since you can't just end everything with jump heavy slash for a knockdown anymore.

If you were to play someone like Leo, Raven, Elphelt, or Ky though you could probably jump online a lot faster and start getting some wins. Probably just with a few days of work.

Heres a good video that glances over who the best characters are for someone new to Guilty Gear so you can get familliar with the system mechanics and pace of the game before you tackle the gimmickier or more technical characters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jxEy_srTL4

Also the default ps4 control scheme has one of the buttons mapped to roman cancels I think. I play stick so I'm not entirely sure, but you can play any character on pad. Even some zato players like BeautifulDude play on pad.
>>
File: rocketslime3.png (598KB, 540x480px)
rocketslime3.png
598KB, 540x480px
>>376646584
>Milia is a super technical character with lots of character specific combos (moreso than most of the cast) so be prepared for a lot of tech grinding ahead of you. Actual higher level play takes a long time to develop butt you should start seeing noticeable improvements if you practice things regularly by 100-200 hours. The skill ceiling is high though so if you wanna be a master expect to play thousands of hours. Most people you'll ever play won't even be close to masters though so don't feel obligated unless you live in New York or SoCal then you probably have to since most of game's talent plays in that area besides Japan. Not that you need to be master, but in that kinda of environment you're gonna have to get good if you don't wanna be bullied.

No, You can use anything. Certain device are better at certain things than others, like a 96 (instant air dash input) on a hitbox is noticeably easier than any other device but conversely TK motions (instant air tiger knee motions) can be harder. You can play it with anything but if you are playing on a ps4 controller, you might wanna try a pad since they're similar and maybe a little easier.

You can map 3 button presses to a single input, and since GG only uses 5 inputs its very reasonable to make one of your shoulder buttons if pressing 3 buttons is too awkward for you. I think by default it even has one.

Good luck senpai; Milia is hard but super rewarding. Hope to see you at Locals.
>>
>>376647157
>no Robo-Ky
>no Testament
>no Anji
>no Zappa
>no Kliff/Justice
What's the deal Daisuke
>>
File: C_UMADyW0AAqZTd.jpg (75KB, 416x577px)
C_UMADyW0AAqZTd.jpg
75KB, 416x577px
>wanna use Baiken in Xrd
>have no idea how the fuck she's supposed to be used even after getting schooled by the same Baiken for months in AC+R
>>
>>376650493

ABA when?
>>
>>376650771
Fuck, I knew I was forgetting someone. ABA's fucking great
>lived on a mountain alone her whole life
>likes keys
>decided to leave home one day
>met a talking key
>fell in love and married him
>>
File: 1494201021838.jpg (60KB, 1014x1024px)
1494201021838.jpg
60KB, 1014x1024px
>>376651042
>we will never know if she was really a Valentine prototype
>>
>>376646584
If you don't have anyone local to play with, you might as well give up now.
>>
>>376646584
If you're in it for the long haul, I have two strong pieces of advice for you:

-get tough skin
-have fun

Fighting games aren't popular anymore for a reason. Games nowadays can give more immediate satisfaction, whereas in fightan, you have to work for it. Don't go crazy on yourself and learn to enjoy the losses and walls you try to get through. It's all about learning to love your character and the game.

Also, go to discord. It's the place to go for fighting discussion.
>>
File: C73CyuGVsAACHbc.jpg orig.jpg (85KB, 580x820px) Image search: [Google]
C73CyuGVsAACHbc.jpg orig.jpg
85KB, 580x820px
>>376646584
>How much time will i take to really be good? So far i try to do combos but i just end up mashing buttons.
Probably a month of constant playing
>Do i need an arcade controller to play well?
Not at all. It's all preference
>How the fuck do you do a Roman Cancel in a PS4 controller during a combo? Is it even possible?
Just bind it to something

Have fun with a neutered Millia
>>
File: talkingbutts.png (1MB, 1600x1800px)
talkingbutts.png
1MB, 1600x1800px
>>376650580
Combo them into a ground tatami then juggle with some variation of j.p j.k ending in j.s j.d

If corner airdash after j.d ends for another loop using doing j.p j.s j.d or j.s j.d land then do 5hs or 6hs JC (jump cancel) or SJC (super jump cancel) to repeat. Your 3rd loop is ending with 5hs or 6hs kuchinashi (S+HS then 5p or 63214k 5p) or tech baiting.

She can combo her throw in corner and do full confirms off a kuchinashi usually with a 2d starter to jc into dust loops.

Your okizeme is almost always IAD (instant air dash) air tatami since it stays active until it hits the ground. If you're right next to them just jump instead.

Your biggest mix up is your instant overhead mix up yozan sen (623S air only) which you can do any point after j.h or any air strings. Just RC to get a full confirm, as otherwise it doesn't combo.

Abuse your parry reversal mechanic to punish people who over Gatling you, and try to reserve your meter for your offensive pressure since baiken is a meter hog. Your best AA is jump throw but 6p is solid as fuck too.

She's not very hard to pick up in Rev2. Been playing since release she's very solid character whose way easier than her GGAC counterpart even with all the stuff they took out. Have fun on the 28th anon.
>>
>>376652472
Millia is fine, and so are all the other top tiers that got nerfed.

not bedman though, rest in piss
>>
1) This depends a lot on the company you're playing with, because having some decent players in regular contact can really be your best resource for learning and improving; way too many people make the mistake of investing their time into learning combos or advanced execution first, get frustrated, lose all their matches even after they've practiced these things since they didn't learn fundamentals, then burn out
2) Can't hurt, but there are more skilled players than ever these days using pads at events and a good number of keyboard warriors on PC (i.e., Fightcade)
3) Bind a button to P+K+S, button macros are generally allowed at tournaments if they can be set in the game's options menu (i.e., no shit like programmable pads or turbo buttons)
>>
>>376653101
>air deja vu

yeah nah fuck off bedgirl is gonna be fine.
>>
>>376653589
i'd rather take air deja vu mixups than get knocked down by 2H/3H
>>
>>376646584

>How much time will i take to really be good? So far i try to do combos but i just end up mashing buttons

A yearish. You just need to learn self control but it's easy to get desperate in a fighting game especially after playing other games for so long.

>- Do i need an arcade controller to play well?

Not at all. Use what is comfortable and stick with it. Measure comfortableness by how well can you move your character. How on point can you be with dashing and controlling which direction you jump. Try jumping and air-dashing as fast as you can. See which it's easier to do with: a controller or an arcade stick. Inputs for certain moves will always feel weird at first no matter what, but they can be learned.

>How the fuck do you do a Roman Cancel in a PS4 controller during a combo? Is it even Possible?

Yes it's possible. RCing can be difficult depending on what move you RC out of. I wouldn't worry about RCing right now. Stick with the fundamentals and try swapping buttons around to see what is most comfortable for you.
>>
>>376653847
You may prefer it but thats no reason to say the character is fucked. She'll be fine since she's still one of the easiest characters to play with tons of shit that are extremely hard to block even post nerf.
>>
File: 1491271283617.png (92KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491271283617.png
92KB, 1000x1000px
>>376646584
>- How much time will i take to really be good? So far i try to do combos but i just end up mashing buttons.
IT depends, so people, some people take a lot more time than other but it usually takes a fare amount of time to get decent.

It would be better if you found a group of people or friends to play online
>- Do i need an arcade controller to play well?
No, guilty gear is not that hard to play on a ps4 pad, just rebind the controls to your liking. There's also stylish mode were the inputs are easier but you have less health.

>- How the fuck do you do a Roman Cancel in a PS4 controller during a combo? Is it even Possible?
Rebind your controls, mine is as follows.
square - Punch
x - kick
triangle - Slash
circle - High Slash
R1 - Dust
L1 - Roman Cancel.
R2 - Taunt
>>
>How much time will i take to really be good? So far i try to do combos but i just end up mashing buttons
It takes a pretty long time. Its not going to happen in a few weeks or even months. When you press buttons, you need a rhythm. Every input needs to be carefully and precisely put in, so find a rhythm and try to memorize it. After that its just muscle memory and learning when to apply those combos in specific situation. Watch some gameplay from pro players and you'll learn a lot as well, but before you do that, have a basic understanding of your character. Remember what every button does and what every special looks like so when you see it in action, you can commit it to memory and learn new techniques.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.