[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thread game: rank the main Persona from your most to least favorite,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Persona.Series.full.200342.jpg (2MB, 4333x750px) Image search: [Google]
Persona.Series.full.200342.jpg
2MB, 4333x750px
Thread game: rank the main Persona from your most to least favorite, and then make a taste/personality judgment about the poster above you. I'll start.

Persona 3 FES > Persona 4 Golden > Persona 2 duology > Persona 5 > Persona 1
>>
>Persona 4 > Persona 5
What's your terrible excuse for this one, sport?

At least with 4 > 2 you can say it's the gameplay.
>>
File: 2d4.png (12KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
2d4.png
12KB, 560x407px
>>376635778
I dunno, I like P4's story and cast more than P5's. I feel like they have more genuine problems and interesting developments than P5's. Think I like the message more too.

In comparison to P2, yeah it's more of a gameplay thing more than anything. also it'd be nice if P2 had dub dialogue in more than just battles, but I'm weird like that
>>
>>376635778
What were your favorite Personas, anon?
>>
>>376636205
>I feel like they have more genuine problems
Are you joking?
>being Yukiko's friend is HARD
>being the heiress to an inn is HARD
>being an idol is HARD
>being a girl is HARD
>liking gay knitting shit is HARD
>being a bear is HARD
>the girl I had a crush on was murdered
Yosuke is the only one who has a genuine problem here (though Kanji is the only one that's actually executed well).

Now compare that to Persona 5:
>being a cat is HARD
>one of my teachers tried to coerce me into having sex with him, sexually abused my best friend and drove her to a suicide attempt
>one of my teachers goaded me into hitting him, fucked up my leg and disbanded the track team, which everyone now blames me for
>my foster father let my real mother die, stole her art and made his name and fame off of it, and the work of his other pupils
>my father was killed on the job as a policeman, leaving me and my older sister, who has become obsessed with work and dismissive of me
>my mother was murdered and I was blamed as the cause, resulting in me developing severe social-anxiety
>my father is forcing me into an arranged marriage with a narcissistic douchebag

Did you confuse "genuine" with "mundane" or something? That's the only way you could possibly think the Persona 4 cast has more "genuine problems" than the Persona 5 cast. Not to mention that outside the Investigation Team, Nanako, Dojima and Adachi, everyone else in Persona 4 is utterly forgettable. Whereas pretty much the entire supporting cast from Persona 5 is great.
>>
>>376637718
I'd be inclined to agree with you if not for the fact that these problems exists for all of ten minutes throughout the entire game. Yeah, on paper, these sound like more serious problems that would more negatively affect their lives. But here's the kicker: they don't.

Ryuji spends his social link getting pissed on by his teammates in one event, then finds out that the new captain is just as huge a douchebag as Kamoshida and lets them know about it, making him a hero. No insight to how being abandoned by his former friends makes him feel, how he's changed as a person because of that, just ramen and fun times from then on.

Ann's social link has very little do with her sexuality, aside from the very surface-level observation that "being a model when you're naturally hot can lead to you being insensitive sometimes." Her best friend being in the hospital does goad her into trying to be stronger, but not only is what she tries laughable, we only see the effects of it in the penultimate social link. Would've been nice to, at least, get to see the talks they had in the hospital instead.

(cont.)
>>
>>376638528
>No insight to how being abandoned by his former friends makes him feel, how he's changed as a person because of that
Are you fucking stupid? Do you need the character to spell it out for you in a melodramatic soliloquy? It's evident by the actions he takes throughout the social link, you daft sorry cunt.

You're a fucking idiot. Just because the characters don't constantly dwell on their problems doesn't mean they aren't affected by them.
>>
>>376637718
Yusuke's probably got the best development out of the cast, by trying to refocus on his art and realizing that he still has feelings towards Madarame, while still struggling to prove his worth in what his passion in life is, and still being inadequate. Wish they would've focused a little less on the wacky adventures in the park and church, but it was decent.

Makoto also had some interesting stuff going on when she felt unappreciated by her superiors and sister, and the stuff leading up to her joining the Phantom Thieves was actually compelling, but they really drop the ball once she joins your team. Her social link deals with her social awkwardness (a periphery character trait) instead of her feelings of being unappreciated and her relationship with her sister, which makes me wonder what the point of her social link even was.

Futaba's also a pretty interesting character during her arc, but she again feels way less important once her dungeon is over. I wish they would've played up the rivalry Morgana has with her and her reacting to it more. Didn't do much of her social link, so I can't comment on that.

Haru's problem is exactly what Mitsuru's social link was about in P3, and it doesn't help that Haru has the personality of literal toast. She becomes even less relevant to the plot once her dad's palace is over. Again, didn't get to her social link, so no comment there.

I realize that with the exception of Teddie and arguably Yosuke, the issues that the P4 cast go through don't get explored much in the main plot once they join you either, but at least it feels like their social links is a genuine continuation of them dealing with their flaws and learning what it means to have faced their Shadows.
>>
>>376638528
Ryuji's entire confidant is him coming to terms with his fellow members of the track team, and making sure the situation that happened with Kamoshida doesn't repeat itself.

Ann's entire confidant is her trying to move past blaming herself for what happened to Shiho.

Yusuke's entire confidant is trying to come to terms with his dualistic relationship with Madarame, and trying to understand both his dead mother and himself.

Makoto's entire confidant is her trying to move past the person she felt she had to become to live up to her sister.

Futaba's entire confidant is her trying to get over her anxiety, and the regrets she feels in her relationship with her dead mother.

Haru's entire confidant is her dealing with the death of her father and her engagement to her fiance.

But no, you're correct. Those problems just vanish after 10 minutes.
>>
>Do you need the character to spell it out for you in a melodramatic soliloquy

It's not a requirement, but their supposed actions don't really seem to emotionally connect with their problems. If you think there's some kind of subtlety about the way they take action to rectify their flaws, then they better seem pretty damn desperate to fix them. Where's the struggle in their issues? Aren't they facing cripplingly real issues compared to the P4 cast? Then by that logic, they should have even more of a reason to whine and complain about it. Most of the time, especially for Ryuji and Ann, it feels like an afterthought, rather than a cornerstone.

>Just because the characters don't constantly dwell on their problems doesn't mean they aren't affected by them
And that'd be fine if they were just chilling with you for their first, or even second social link events. But past that, don't give me "they don't need to dwell to be affected by them." If that's the case, why even watch a drama at all? I'm sure, say, Romeo and Juliet were affected by their external ciircumstances, and they both go out of their way to make the most of their situation. But it is through the sharing of their feelings that make them interesting characters. It's not a matter of "spoonfeeding the reader information." It's about "human beings tend to break down and cry about their problems when they're going through serious issues."

>Are you fucking stupid?
>you daft sorry cunt.
>You're a fucking idiot.

Not that you'd know much about having sympathy for people, judging by your behavior. Just because you're an anon on 4chan doesn't mean you HAVE to act like an edgy bastard.
>>
>>376639447
>instead of her feelings of being unappreciated and her relationship with her sister
That was exactly the point, you moron.

She's trying to move past the image of the prim and proper student council president she constructed for herself, because she felt it was the only way she would be acknowledged by her sister. Her whole confidant is her becoming her own person, rather than living as her perceived notion of what her sister wants her to be. For fuck's sake, it starts with her talking about following her sister and becoming a public prosecutor, and ends with her telling you she wants to follow her own dream and become a police commissioner. How much more explicit does it need to be for you?
>Didn't do much of her social link, so I can't comment on that.
>Again, didn't get to her social link, so no comment there.
Not surprised in the least.
>>
File: 1492840855794.jpg (16KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
1492840855794.jpg
16KB, 432x288px
>>376640251
Are you seriously complaining about me calling you a stupid cunt?

Don't pretend you can perch your faggot ass on rhetorical high ground when you start your argument with a ridiculously hyperbolic and blatantly falsifiable statement like:
>I'd be inclined to agree with you if not for the fact that these problems exists for all of ten minutes throughout the entire game. Yeah, on paper, these sound like more serious problems that would more negatively affect their lives. But here's the kicker: they don't.
Add to that you're doing mental gymnastics to ignore anything that runs contrary to your "point", and you've admitted that you haven't even played the game in its entirety.

If you want to have a civilized debate, maybe you should learn how to actually debate. All you're doing is saying "I'm right, you're wrong" in an excessively verbose manner. And you better believe I'm going to call you stupid fucking cunt for it.
>>
>>376640032
>Ryuji & Haru
Those are mainly external conflicts, not internal ones. I know Ryuji's an "eff the system!" kind of guy, but come on. Not even a little bit of angst? And poor Haru, dealing with a dead family member is a huge issue, but maybe seeing a little more of it in the main plot would've been nice? (Again, didn't do her social link, so not judging too hard here.)

>Ann, Yusuke, Makoto, Futaba
I'm not arguing that their social links had nothing to do with their conflicts. I'm saying that they should've been focused on MORE during the entirety of their social link. And especially with Makoto, whose sister is playing an extremely important role throughout the game, you'd think you'd see more direct affects of their relationship with each other in the main story, not hinted at in the subtext of a social link. P3 managed to do this after all, but then again, there were no social links with your party outside of romancing the main girls, so they kind of had to.

What I'm more concerned about is why you seem to be so angry at this discussion. How does my preferring P4's cast and social links over P5's affect you in any way? I'm not even saying your arguments are completely off-base, I'm just trying to extrapolate why P5's cast didn't do it as well for me. That shouldn't be any skin off your nose, honestly.
>>
>>376641837
>you'd think you'd see more direct affects of their relationship with each other in the main story
You fucking do though. I'm convinced that you haven't actually beaten the game at this point. You've already admitted you haven't even done Futaba and Haru's links.
>>
>>376641560
>All you're doing is saying "I'm right, you're wrong" in an excessively verbose manner.

I'm sorry, but I really don't think that's what I was doing. I was trying to explain why I'm not as huge a fan of P5's cast as much as those from previous Persona games. Admittedly, the fact that I didn't complete every single social link devalues and decreases all the possible things that I could say in a full argument, but is there no merit about connecting the preference of a story outside of social links? Can you only say a cast is only as good as all the side content?

>You fucking do though. I'm convinced that you haven't actually beaten the game at this point.
Okay, enlighten me. Aside from a few comments about how at least her sister's cognition isn't totally screwed up because she still sees people as people in her palace, her stealing a disk image of her sister's laptop hard drive, the scene where she delivers the calling card to her sister, and everything leading up to her joining her party, where do we see more of the two sisters' relationship with each other within the main story? If there's a moment that you felt was especially emotionally poignant that I didn't mention, go ahead and tell me.
>>
>>376637718
All of the issues in P4 are real problems real suburbanites have to deal with. All of P5's problems are issues specific to the characters that 99.9% of real human beings will never experience.
>>
>>376643017
>Okay, aside from all these multiple instances of Sae and Makoto interacting, where do we see them interacting?
Do you seriously not understand how retarded you're being right now?
>>
>>376635620
Persona 2 Duology > Persona 5 (Maybe. Time will tell.) > Persona 3 Fes = Persona 4 > Persona 1
>>
>>376640698
Yeah, 90% of her social link being about her whore friend sure did explore her feelings toward her sister...
>>
>>376643545
Not him, but literally every one of your posts is just name calling and getting shit about P4 wrong. You aren't supporting your arguments very well.
>>
>>376635620
P4G >= P5 > P3P > P2 > P1
>>
>>376635620
5>4>3fes>4golden
>>
>>376643545
Just because there are multiple interactions between characters in a story doesn't mean that their relationship with each other is meaningfully progressing or reaching a resolution of some kind. To use a hyperbolic example, The Room features Lisa and her mother talking multiple times about Lisa's relationship with Johnny and the fact that the mom has AIDS. Happens multiple times, but it doesn't lead to something significant.

Now, obviously, I'm not implying that the writing quality of Persona 5 mirrors that of The Room. That'd be absurd. Hell, I'm not even saying Persona 5's writing is bad. My argument was that it's not as good as it could be. It's the difference between an 8/10 and a 10/10.

With that out of the way, I wanted to see the relationship between the two sisters escalate more meaningfully in the main story. An actual argument with them shouting at each other, maybe. Or Makoto breaking down and crying in her sister's arms because she feels like she's losing her. You could argue that she's bottling her emotions and that doesn't invalidate her feelings, but if not in front of her sister, she'd end up breaking down in front of Joker, or Ann, or somebody. It's just a little touch of humanity that would lead to a nice catharsis when she finally DOES break free of her problems and things get patched up (or don't, that can be dramatic too.)
>>
>>376643480
>All of the issues in P4 are real problems real suburbanites have to deal with
Which are made extraordinarily trite by the fact that the backdrop to these "real problems" are a series of supernatural murders that take place in a dimension accessed by going through a TV screen.

The tonal shifts in Persona 4 are glaring. Hearing the Investigation Team prattle on about their mundane, insignificant problems when they're trying to catch a murderer and fighting for the lives against the supernatural is jarring, and just paints them as spoiled brats with zero perspective on anything. The Investigation Team feels like it's a bunch of kids playing a game for the vast majority of the game because of this, not a group of intrepid youths attempting to "reach out to the truth".

Meanwhile, the whole reason the Phantom Thieves form and go into the Metaverse at all is to create a solution to the problems they face in the real world. The cast has actual, believe reasons and motivations to risk their lives fighting Shadows
>>
>>376644527
>Or Makoto breaking down and crying
She literally does that in front of Sae's shadow after they beat her, dipshit.
>>
>>376643830
I didn't call him any names in my original post, I only started calling him stupid when he started spouting retarded hyperbole as if it were fact.

I haven't gotten anything about P4 wrong, whereas he has blatantly misinterpreted multiple things about P5.

Don't worry though, I'm sure he'll still suck your dick for sticking up for him.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.