[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was AVGN ever good? Rewatching his classic stuff is painful.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (112KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 1920x1080px
Was AVGN ever good? Rewatching his classic stuff is painful.

Did it age or did I grow up?
>>
Both. He was a pioneer in comedic reviews, others have done it far better than him since.
>>
>>376623829
You acquired shit taste.
A sub-product of lurking /v/
>>
>>376623829
some videos are better than others

like compare Powerglove to say, Sonic 06

the produciton quality def went up, but i think the humor fluctuates between every episode, like the last christmas special was okay.
>>
File: 1489625824655.jpg (338KB, 1913x1405px) Image search: [Google]
1489625824655.jpg
338KB, 1913x1405px
>>376624071
edit

I still enjoy all of his content a lot, but some videos more than others
>>
>>376624071
Sonic 06 was embarrassing.

also is it true that James doesn't play at all anymore and that Mike records gameplay footage?
>>
>>376623829
James Wolfe as a person was always cooler than AVGN.
Monster Madness was my jam
>>
>>376624240
im not sure, but i would think they do it together to get some more stuff out of the footage they have. Prob bc the Nerd is already accustom to shit and mike can help him out
>>
>>376623829
He got less funny and more full of dumb skits
>>
>>376624279
Same here, I preferred Monster Madness to AVGN, but I'm a huge horror movie fan as well. I am really sad he retired the show, but I can't blame him as it must take up a huge amount of time, but I'm annoyed he ended the series on a Christmas horror movie.
>>
File: abbyMartin.png (1MB, 805x1056px) Image search: [Google]
abbyMartin.png
1MB, 805x1056px
His Batman and Dick Tracy episodes were so good that the rest of them pale in comparison.
>>
I find all the older episodes very comfy and some of the newer ones. They are just damn nice to watch every now and then
>>
>>376624334
>>376624240
You never see him pretend to play in the episodes anymore. He just talks to the camera.

I know he never actually played, but he at least used to pretend.
>>
>>376623829
I've discovered his horror movie reviews to be quite insightful.
>>
>it's a he was comfy, or he was pioneer (really?) episode.
AVGN has ALWAYS been him doing boring skits, he's literally the embodiment of shitty lets players, he focuses 10% of the time on the actual game and the rest 90% doing funny faces, screaming or doing his boring skits.

Reminder that if you looove AVGN and whines about Pewdiepie you're just a hypocrite.
>>
I genuinely like his retrospective episodes where he looks at one franchise and goes over the games that have been released for it. They're usually pretty in-depth and don't rely on SHIT FUCK ASS POO POO BAD WORD to get the point across.

>>376624991
He's more or less stopped doing the skits since Nostalgia Critic and all those dipshits ran the gimmick into the ground. Thank fuck for that, they were painful to watch.
>>
File: 1491026503824.png (136KB, 750x356px) Image search: [Google]
1491026503824.png
136KB, 750x356px
If you dont like AVGN then im afraid you have become a full blown fag op
>>
>>376623829
James is naturally just a chill person, so whenever he plays the nerd, it feels forced and unfunny. His Ghostbusters and Godzilla video game reviews are my favorites because he's a big fan of those properties, so I can tell he was pissed they sucked.

I generally prefer when he gushes about things he's passionate about and not some throw away shit he was probably only request to do.
>>
>>376623829
I found his sonic 06 episode funny. I think he is still trying to make something fun and interesting. It's been more than 10 years. I think he deserve a credit for trying.
>>
File: Ross's_Game_Dungeon.png (215KB, 576x355px) Image search: [Google]
Ross's_Game_Dungeon.png
215KB, 576x355px
This is the new AVGN.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>376627809
the style is way different, it's not easy to compare.

However I prefer Game Dungeon over any other YT show, gaming or not.
>>
>not posting the TRUE Angry Video Game Nerd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu_YMM9dTxg
>>
>>376628384
Yeah AVGN is more comedy-oriented, but they both take old, and usually shitty games and give their thoughts.

Sucks Ross is putting GD on the backburner for a while after the next one. I don't really care much for Freeman's Mind.
>>
>>376624240
I didnt want to think that but after seeing some mike and james mondays im sure it is true. I mean the guy just gives up whenever he dies and lets mike do the rest. You never see him do a complete stream like mike does. Also the guy fucking crosses his hands on the keyboard so that he can play "normal"
>>
>>376623829
I liked when he covered games/hardware that I had no clue they existed.

But games like Sonic 06, I know it's shit. Everyone and their mom knows that. He was way too late to that party.
>>
>>376627809
Filmnstuff was always the AVGN we needed but just never got his big break.
>>
>>376623829
Not only was his commentary and skits funny, but there used to be a sense of discovery in watching the old shitty games he played.

Though once you become acquainted with his library and no longer curious about the games, you're only left with his comedy and skits which I assume you sat through before. And comedy-wise they can be very hit or miss.
>>
>>376623829
his last few reviews have been great, it was only during the time when he was filming the movie when he kind of fell off.

Also his classic stuff is great for what it is. Let me guess, you watch fucking Game Grumps or some shit. AVGN is legitimately the best one to do it.
>>
>>376623829
everybody here knows you are the Matei fag, trying to meme everyone into his penis size, like every single day
>>
File: 1488444924076.png (2MB, 1794x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488444924076.png
2MB, 1794x1000px
>drinks beer
>its clearly water

this triggers me you dont know how much
can be the only one
>>
>>376623930
sources
>>
>>376631164
>>drinks beer
>>its clearly water

thats american beer
>>
File: C-nHB91UIAAyvNE.jpg (60KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
C-nHB91UIAAyvNE.jpg
60KB, 720x720px
>>
>>376624240
james only cares about games as they relate to his childhood nostalgia for them
>>
>>376623829
His prime started with silver surfer.
>>
You just grew up, as important & influential as he is he was never that funny. His old stuff is still nice for nostalgia though.
>>
Edgelords: the thread

The guy is funny, fuck off.
>>
>>376623829
i only liked very few in the first place but most of them i still do

for example the bugs bunny episode i still find it funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1tU61Nyv1w
>>
>>376633268
It was a blowout alright
>>
>>376624240
James cares about movies more than video games. He has admitted that already.
>>
>>376632262
>MOM'S GONNA FREAK
>>
>>376628562
Is there anyone who can explain why he fell for this?
>>
I thought it was funny 10 years ago, but most of his stuff now is rather cringeworthy and I only rewatch because of nostalgia. Spoony stuff on the other hand is still good after all these years
>>
This fucker spent 7 years in a special education school and he makes money by playing video games and basically you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>376623829

What a shitload of fuck!
>>
His theme song from the beginning was and is:

>he's gonna take you back to the past
>to play the shitty games that suck ass
>something about a buffalo taking a shit in his ear

he was always XDDDD CUSS WORDS AND SCREAMING but it was more tolerable a decade ago when edgy internet humor was new, now it's pretty bad.
>>
>>376634398
Because he's desperate for some sort of internet fame.
>>
>>376624240

Rolfe as an adult does not give a shit about video games. He hasn't run of out bad games to review, but I think he has about exhausted games he himself can talk about, meaning either games he remembers playing and hating as a kid, or a movie tie-in game that the film nerd in him can use stuff he remembers from the movie as inspiration for jokes.

>Oh, look at that enemy, I don't remember seeing that in the movie!
>When did that ever happen in the movie?
>Could you imagine if what's happening in this game happened in the movie? That would suck.
>>
>>376635669
Yeah, which is why the recent Power Rangers episode was good. It was the first time in a long while where he was talking about something that was forced.
>>
>>376635912
>WASN'T forced
fug
>>
The faggiest thing James Rolfe ever did were those documentaries about himself. It's all about why he's such an incredibly passionate filmmaker and all he ever wants to do is make to the big screen.

If I'm not mistaken he even did two of them. Talk about unwarranted self importance.
>>
>>376623829
He was hit or miss.
>>
File: Batman_Forever.jpg (386KB, 1040x711px) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Forever.jpg
386KB, 1040x711px
This seems to me to be the only Nerd-reviewed game in which his anger was genuine.
>>
>>376636316
The saddest part is that he's a shit filmmaker.
I love the guy, but AVGN is the only thing he's every been good at
>>
James have autism. That is why he only really cared about the whole AVGN thing when it came to talking about games he played during his youth.

That is why he also have a giant boner for Godzilla movies.

James wants the AVGN to die and he hates editing AVGN videos. That is why Mike is doing most of the work nowadays.
>>
>>376623829
surprisingly you grew the fuck up
>>
>>376633268
BUG'S BUNNY'S BIRTHDAY BLOWOUT?
HOW ABOUT BUG BUNNY'S BIRTHDAY BEATING?!
>>
His hardware reviews are great and timeless imo
>>
>>376636750
Even sadder is that he made the first documentary before he even conceived of the AVGN character. I think he was making a thing about the documentary being his "100th movie".

Those 99 previous "movies" amounted to shitty home-made videos filmed with a crappy VHS camera of him and his friends fucking around over a weekend. AKA the sort of stuff nobody will ever watch, unless they weren't already interested in James Rolfe due to the AVGN. But at the time he made the documentary, literally nobody knew who he was. I wonder what the hell he was thinking?
>>
nah, you just became a cynical asshole thirsty for some approval from anonymous
>>
>>376637050
>>376636750
>>376636316
Didn't his college classmates do a documentary on him since he was basically the class lolcow? Did he meet Mike in college?
>>
>>376623829

You grew up. AVGN's influence is important but his humor has always been the lowest of the lowbrow.
>>
>>376636882
>His hardware reviews are great and timeless imo
This. Game reviews are pretty dull on the whole. His reviews of the 32X, Atari 5200 and NES accessories are some of his best work.
>>
I started watching The Real Ghostbusters on Netflix and decided to rewatch his review on the series, as James. It was sorta cringe worthy. I felt like Mike was needed because I always enjoy watching them play an NES game and talking shit.
>>
>>376623829
I used to love James but if I saw him today I'd honestly try to kill him just to put him out of his misery. He's like an old sick dog that you can't stand to see hurt any longer.
He hates being the nerd but that's all he's got and he has to keep playing the character to maintain a living. His movie, the one chance of him following his dream of being a real film maker, was a completely embarrassing disaster. He has a broken baby, his bitch wife walks all over him and the fact she's cuckolding him is all but confirmed. He's balding.
I think he'd kill himself if not for the baby, but with his wife's reputation I doubt it's even his in the first place. I'd just tell him I'm sorry and put a bullet in the back of his head.
>>
>>376638228
>He has a broken baby
what do you mean? the kid has downs or something?
>>
>>376624184
i know that bulge
>>
its like watching really old movies from the 70s and 80s. Sure it looked good then but the special effects and writing is just bad now. Times change, but artifacts dont. Look at shit like star wars. Sure it was ground breaking for the time and the ships still look good but the monsters and other special effects all look like giant foam cut outs. Looks like shit and the story is really cliche by this point. James reviews evolved in a similar way only a miuch lower standard because it's just a dork online and not a blockbuster hit.
>>
>>376639183
>and the story is really cliche by this point
What, Star Wars? The movie that is literally just the hero's journey IN SPACE? Colour me fucking surprised.
>>
>>376623930
Like... ?
>>
>>376624991
>reviews and let's plays are the same thing

Fuck off
>>
>>376623829
>Rewatching his classic stuff is painful.
I still have a blast watching even the early reviews, they weren't amazing, but it's understandable since the formula wasn't there yet. It's the new episodes that are painful. I think Ikari Warriors was the last good episode, but even there people complain about the cameo, with Tiger games being a bit interesting but with James starting to "act". His "acting" is what killed the show for me. It's the most apparent here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3iEn5rzMnw
The contrast between old and new is frightening.
>>
>>376636750
>he hasn't watched Board James yet

Board James is the true Rolfekino, particulary from Dream Phone onwards
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.