[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>singleplayer game >crafting is necessary >inventory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: 1493561471830.jpg (64KB, 480x480px)
1493561471830.jpg
64KB, 480x480px
>singleplayer game
>crafting is necessary
>inventory full of crafting materials

Why do devs do this? Does someone unironically enjoy singleplayer crafting? It makes sense in an MMO but I don't see the appeal in SP at all
>>
Upgrade your inventory ASAP
>>
>>376610187
what is this cat and how can I get more of it?
>>
>>376610187
Posting a skeleton for attention.

OP, how would you make that part of the game fun?
For example, alchemy
where you put some herbs together to make potions for your RPG character to use

how would you make that fun?
>>
>>376613035
that's the problem. it's not fun. it's tedious. why not have your mobs just drop potions instead of reagents for potions
>>
>>376613527
You make a good point but for me that approach seems a bit too simple for an expansive RPG.
Depends on the RPG, obviously. Crafting potions in Diablo 2 instead of picking them up from the monsters would be really stupid.
>>
>>376610187
What kind of shit game you're playing that doesn't have a dedicated infinite inventory just for crafting? Or at least for the materials needed in great quantities that have no other uses.

>>376613035
As long you get materials passively to be able to craft some useful stuff, while you play the game without being forced to grind unless you really want to focus on the crafting aspects, it should be good.

Elona+ does it nice because of that, specially since you wait for the lucky day to craft everything accumulated and make weapons that can be better than drops.
>>
>>376610187
Depends on the game

Starbound, for example, has a nice crafting system
>>
>>376610187
Some singleplayer crafting is alright
Crafting is the only thing other than gunplay that I like in Fallout 4
>>
>>376613726
What is it like in Elona+?
>>
>>376613726
uhh.. like, every SP rpg with crafting ever?
>>
The problem is when they try to have gear crafting and also have finding gear as a motivating factor to complete quests. One will always outshine the other and, because crafting takes more time, it will almost always be crafting. This leads to the inevtiable scenario where you are given a legendary sword that is not even close to as good as the sword you made yourself two hours ago. Also, because crafting materials are usually abundant and easy to find, money stops being a motivating factor as well. If you're going to have gear crafting, then just make that the focus by having quests reward players with rare crafting materials that can only be obtained by completing quests or by buying them for very high prices.
>>
>>376613035
Make it fun by making what you make have fun effects. Make all the potions have powerful effects but big downsides, make a potion where you can run really fast but the faster you run the blinder you become and running into things hurts you. Make a potion that makes gravity have no effect on you after you block an attack so you can launch yourself somewhere and then take a potion that makes you immune to fall damage when the last one is about to wear off that makes you drop like a rock and be unable to move.

Make gathering ingredients fun, have a flower that you have to pluck from a giants head, and the easiest way to do it is to blow up its legs with explosives or launch yourself onto it using a cheap easy to make explosion potion that does no damage.

Make an ingredient the heart of an enemy, and you have to damage them to daze them, then shoot an arrow into their big eye to blind them, sweep their legs and then you can tear it out or something like that.

Shit like that could be really fun.
>>
>>376614432
I think Diablo 2 crafting was okay. The 99.9% items you used were the ones you found because crafting required high level, some materials (gems) and regular magical items and you only focused on that a long time into the game. Most people never even bothered.
Most of the crafts are shite and you never know what you get.
However, if you were especially autistic you'd craft and sometimes you'd get some good stuff that would be better than what you'd be otherwise wearing.
Some attributes only spawned on crafted items.

It's just a tiny bonus and a fun thing to do.
>>
>>376610187
>It makes sense in an MMO
Actually I'm gonna take some time to bitch about crafting in MMO's, at least the start of them.

Why the FUCK are early crafted items so shit in almost any MMO I've played? I'm going out of my way to train this skill that I don't need for the basic leveling treadmill and I can't even get a fucking sword that's nearly as good as the basic weapons along the curve?
>>
>>376615502
>>Actually I'm gonna take some time to bitch about crafting in MMO's, at least the start of them.
Let out your autism. I'm listening, anon.
>>
>>376610187
it's the grind. that's the only actual downside to it that makes it unfun.

putting the item for some legendary craft behind some mission or tough boss or even some rare enemy is understandable, but when every little thing requires you to go to the other end of the world to farm just to try and get an item, shit gets boring fast. it also doesn't help that usually crafted items get outclassed by rewards, so by the time you passively acquired the ingredients to craft something, it's shit. it only gets worse when crafting can fail.

if you're gonna do crafting with grinding, make it worthwhile, ala KH1 with the ultima weapon being THE strongest weapon in the game, so even if it takes time to get, you know the reward is better than what you have. but personally i prefer combine systems ala KH:BBS, Jeanne D'arc and so on, much more fun and useful than fucking crafting gear.
>>
>>376610187
It gives a little extra sense of progression but really it's just bloat that gets old fast, unless the rest of the game is good enough that you pay no real attention to it or unless it's very limited and your only real power ups come from there. Unfortunately the games that copypaste their features from a checklist, where crafting nowadays belongs, are never that good.

Granted, some games are thematically the kind where crafting makes sense. For example nu-Far Cry and nu-Tomb Raider. However both games have too much of it and it's just obvious filler content.
>>
>>376615502
because retarded devs make that shit with players who almost exclusively craft in mind. it's like they make two games, one where you fight, and one where it's all gathering and crafting, then they join them together.

i understand they make the system intricate and time-consuming on purpose so it takes time for people to do shit and thus they don't "run out of content" and the amount of mats and details is to keep it intersting. unfortunately unless all you wanna do is craft, gather and sell it's way too time consuming, way too boring and way too unrewarding when you can just get some raid weapon that'll be on par or better than crafted shit.
>>
>>376613035
It's hard to make alchemy fun because it becomes mundane quickly. Crafting in general could be fun if the shit you craft is really useful and the materials rare/hard to get. Then it actually feels rewarding, rather than feeling like a mindless mundane task you have to do constantly.
>>
Itt adhd riddled 13yos
>>
>>376613885
say what you will, but crafting in Fallout, at least conceptually, is pretty well done. it's not necessary by any means but actually makes your guns considerably more powerful and useful, and mats are basically fucking everywhere. the exception being a few harder to find mats, which even then are needed for late-game gun upgrades at which point you should be able to find them more readily.
>>
>>376615823
The OP mentioning it just managed to dig down and hit some deep, repressed autistic rage that I didn't even realized I had. Almost all of the crafting in every MMO I tried ended with the realization that I might as well just wait until I have loads of dosh, buy up all the raw ingredients, and throw the finished products in the trash to level it. Fucking runescape of all things is probably the most satisfying example I've tried, since a shiny new sword that you make will be good for ten levels or so.
>>
>>376616802
Thanks for your opinion, anon. I hope you feel better now that you let it out.
>>
>>376616660
sorry not everyone likes spending 72 hours farming to make a weapon with 1 attack above something you can get in 2 hours from a mission or raid.

also, not everyone's a neet.
>>
>>376616802
FFXIV actually has real fun crafting mechanically. It's actually more fun than the rest of the game, but the game also has the money problem.
>>
>>376616738
It's not well done at all, it's a fucking chore in every way. Going through all the objects in an area to check for good materials is time consuming busywork, filtering through the junk because the game has an inventory limit is time consuming busy work, travelling to a safe area to dump all the junk is time consuming busy work.
>>
>>376616576
>Crafting in general could be fun if the shit you craft is really useful and the materials rare/hard to get. Then it actually feels rewarding, rather than feeling like a mindless mundane task you have to do constantly.
Monster Hunter is both pretty good and pretty bad in those aspects. It's rewarding as fuck to finish that shiny new set and you'll have to craft almost every useful item, but if you don't like mundane things you have to do constantly than oh boy is that not the game for you.
>>
>>376615014
Yeah Diablo 2 is an example of a great crafting system. It's great because you don't deal with mundane shit. Even something simple like upgrading gems is just neat, there's never an issue of your inventory getting clogged with wolf paws and herbs and uninteresting shit like that
>>
>>376616404
>it's like they make two games, one where you fight, and one where it's all gathering and crafting, then they join them together.
In an MMO setting that's actually the god tier way to go about things. See: Ragnarok Online. That way people who actually like crafting can be relevant to the game world at just that, and hold even greater power than "regular" players
>>
>>376617108
you do know you can literally just select the mats you need more of in the crafting table and the game will mark all items with said mats for you. with one of the skills it even makes said items glow.

besides, after a couple hours of playing you should easily be able to know which items give what you want so you don't have to look at all of them. need something that comes from a lighter? grab lighters every time you see them, not hard. as for weight, on top of strong back & co helping with that, almost every mat has some lighter object choices that provide it and you don't need to sort shit, just press one button at a workshop and it's all there.

i collect all the light shit i can every time i explore without over-encumbering myself and never had a single problem with crafting
>>
>>376619612
except they don't because in most MMOs the true end-game gear is either from raids and such or gear that's insanely hard to craft and almost no one can make it or afford to buy it from crafters. and since crafting-only players don't do end-game content then it changes nothig. see FF14ARR where even with these latest patches/add-ons crafting is a lot better but still below the best end-game gear. and the amount of shit you have to do to get to that level of crafting, let alone craft that shit without failing is absurd.
>>
File: 1367945161630.jpg (57KB, 247x236px) Image search: [Google]
1367945161630.jpg
57KB, 247x236px
>crafting system
>game encourages you to pick shit up
>inventory still has a weight limit

stupid fucking idiot, retard, dumbass, fucked up, moron bethesda
>>
>>376620206
Is ragnarok online the only game ever to get this right? You could literally just play the market all day, pay people to level you up while you afk, get mad power by being one of the few with high enough level DEX/LUK blacksmith to be able to reliably make super powerful elemental weapons
>>
>Game lets you make your own weapons
>Only weapons you get are ones you make
>>
I think the more general issue here is that games fail to justify the amount of tools it gives you. Oftentimes, this is because the games are too easy for their own good. I'm talking games like Witcher 3 where, on top of swords and spells, you also have bombs, potions, oils, and different types of crossbow bolts. In the early game on harder difficulties, having all of this stuff is useful because you need every advantage you can get. As the game progresses and you get more powerful, though, you become able to ignore more and more of the mechanics until you become an invincible killing machine that only ever has to spam light attack to win. This makes half of your arsenal pointless and the combat boring as shit. This is also a problem in Bethesda games where you can become a god of death in about ten minutes. Basically, the gameplay doesn't back its own mechanics and it starts to feel like those elements are only there because they make the game sound better in advertisements. Before it was 'RPG elements' then it was 'crafting' and now it's 'open-world.'

I'm just getting sick of all of this extraneous token bullshit and wish more developers would start making games with solid cores.
>>
File: this.gif (2MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
this.gif
2MB, 400x224px
>>376620923
>>
>>376610187
>Does someone unironically enjoy singleplayer crafting
I like looking through trashbags/grinding mobs and going through checklists of what I need.

It's soothing.
>>
>>376620923
it's to add play time/bloat. in a way it's kinda like old arcade-tier difficulty which was made on purpose to drain pennies out of kids. they put that shit in so you have more shit to do in the long term so they can say their game is more immersive and has more hours of content, as if hours of content meant jack shit in terms of quality. it's why they don't even try to mask how the crafting becomes useless in the long term because drops are almost always better.
>>
>>376619857
I know which items give me what, the problem is opening cuboards, boxes, lockers, all sorts of shit. You can't just pick it all up either, you take the materials which give you resources and leave the rest. All enemies carry a bunch of shit you have to scroll through, it's just a big chore that doesn't really add anything to the gameplay. STALKER had a gun mod system that had none of the tedium, with some tweaks it could be amazing.
>>
>>376623140
while you do have a point, at least 4 has the merit of making picking shit up easier than NV and 3 because you can do it without pausing shit all the time for every single container.
>>
>>376623625
Yeah Bethesda games are terrible about the kleptomaniac elements FO4 at least embraced it fully besides the weight limit and some other smaller conveniences
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.