[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly makes this game so fucking good? I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: 3539-blood-dos-front-cover.jpg (62KB, 640x767px) Image search: [Google]
3539-blood-dos-front-cover.jpg
62KB, 640x767px
What exactly makes this game so fucking good?
I've been playing it for a couple hours and I can honestly say I've never had this much fun with a game before. The weapons, the sound design, the level design, everything is just so spot on. The cultist's screams when you set them on fire, the feel of the shotgun, everything seems to click. How did they do it?
>>
Cool theme and art direction masking the shitty balance and mundane level design
>>
Ask >>>/vr/
>>
Soon™

https://youtu.be/MXp94HQKKOg?
>>
>>376607270
I LIVE, AGAIN!
>>
>>376608343
God yes please, dosbox runs like shit on my computer.
>>
>>376607270
movement
weapons
enemies
levels
>>
>>376607270
Weapons are fun to use
Enemies are fun to kill
Levels are memorable and varied
Caleb has some great one liners

The only thing I don't like about Blood (and this extends to most Build Engine FPS games) is how the most basic enemies you encounter are hitscan and can kill you in a few hits. Always felt cheap to me and I prefer how Doom handles it (chaingunners nonwithstanding)
>>
File: ICame.png (229KB, 374x357px) Image search: [Google]
ICame.png
229KB, 374x357px
>>tfw I throw dinamite at bunched up cultist, they explode into a shower of organs, blood and the character lafs like a motherfucker.
>>
>>376609972
Every hitscan enemy can easily be dodged in Build. git gud
>>
>>376608343
Java is a weird option for a source port.
>>
>>376611737
Yeah I sure love jumping and crouching all the time like a fucking moron
>>
>>376612251
yeah mean like playing the game?
>>
Creative and varied level design with plenty of secrets.
Unique weapons.
Enemies have personality.
Great sound design.

Anything an fps can do well it does well and also manages to distinguish itself through its setting.
>>
>>376607270
Shadow Warrior is better. The level design in Blood is ass. All those killer doors.
>>
>>376612418
The level design is only creative and varied on a surface level. The layouts and architecture are pedestrian as fuck.
>>
>>376612578
How is Shadow Warrior level design any better? Shit's unintuitive as fuck, you pretty much have to do at least two playthroughs to get some enjoyment out of it, first one is learning where and how to backtrack and second one actually playing the level. Not that the levels are great on a second playthrough either
>>
I never understood what was the deal with Blood cutscenes anyway. Why shit out that horrid animation just for sake of putting the game on cd instead of using comic style intermissions or not having any cutscenes at all?
>>
I played this game 16 years ago? I thought it was under appreciated and WAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of its time, at that time.
>>
>>376612579
What do you mean by pedestrian, and how is it pedestrian.
>>
>>376607270
Weapons fucking HIT
Enemies fucking DIE
Shit is fucking CHALLENGING
Movement is fucking FLUID
Everything is just fun as fuck.
It's a masterpiece.
>>
>>376607270
>badass character (nothing new)
>awesome theme
>gore
>1st fps game where some enemies had their own personalities
>>
File: 144865878756888898785.png (122KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
144865878756888898785.png
122KB, 400x293px
>>376613232
no variety in enemies
limited arsenal
no weapon upgrades
can't even change weapons with mousewheel
samey level design
no open world to explore
corridor shooter no#5678894
difficulty increase only increases damage output for the enemies ,nothing else
'fun' is not an argument

get with the times granpa
>>
>>376614145
Shit bait, apply yourself 2/10
>>
>>376612785
People who say it obviously haven't played through it fully tecently because shit like the ladder in the fireplace is retarded.
>>
>>376612879
>I thought it was under appreciated and WAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of its time, at that time.
I love Blood, but it came out a year AFTER Quake. If anything it was way behind. That said I still enjoyed the Blood campaign more (never played the MP but I'm sure it couldn't touch Quake's).
>>
>>376614686
Not to mention the last level in one of the expansions which his fuckin obtuse and long as fuck
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.